How to Crochet a Chunky Blanket (…an affordable beginner project!)

Oh you guys, I’m so excited to be adding new contributors this month to Make It and Love It!  It really is so fun to share this space with some talented (and super darling) gals, who also love to create!  Today’s newest contributor is Jacquie from The Sweeter Side of Mommyhood…..and she is one talented gal, with an eye for beautiful things!  (And ooh, I love what she’s sharing today, SO much!)

jacdudtmulzet-621

WELCOME JACQUIE! -Ashley

. . . . .

Hi ya’ll! I’m so excited to be here for my first post on Make It and Love it. Here’s my little crew:

jacdudtmulzet-221

We’ve got  vLilly(5), Gracie (3) and Sally (1) and of course my sweet husband, Brandon. Not pictured- monster dog and our 5 clucky chickens!

Hope you enjoy my first project. Please share pics with me if you make one- I’d love to see!

How much have you been loving the amazing knit and crochet items that have been popping up everywhere this year?! I swear knitting and crochet has jumped off Granny Central Station and turned into the modern, hipster, new and now (but not, ha ha) thing to do. I LOVE this because I’m obsessed with both and am so excited that everything ‘Granny’ is so in lately (any fellow old souls out there?!) and getting really exciting fresh and modern applications. One of the most popular handmade items I am seeing right now is the coveted super chunky crochet blanket. Whether it is done with hands/arms or done with a giant crochet hook, these blankets are understandably amazing in every way- so warm and cozy, soft and wonderful to snuggle under and really elegant-looking draped over the couch.

The only downside to these chunky crochet blankets (or oftentimes knit blankets) is that they can be very costly. Costly to purchase from a crafter and even costly to DIY since the super thick and chunky wool is harder to source, usually requires extra shipping cost, and uses up just physically so MUCH wool material that you need to purchase three, four, or even five skeins of it to even begin.

Enter my pattern for a chunky crochet blanket done with materials you can find locally!  It’s made in crochet using an easy to find big chunky hook and some nice chunky yarn that when doubled becomes awesomely chunky!

Come and see how to crochet a chunky crochet blanket for yourself!

How to Crochet a Chunky Blanket....the affordable way! | via Make It and Love It

Materials:

• 10 skeins of Big Twist Natural Blend yarn (2 skeins of each color) This yarn is classified as a “super bulky 6” so if you can’t find this from JoAnn’s, look for something similar.
  • 1 yarn needle
  • 1 size US 50 (25.00mm) crochet hook. This one is great: Giant Wooden Crochet Hook

*The hook that I currently use was hand crafted for me by my super talented little brother! He is only 15 years old and making amazing beautiful things. I share updates about these hooks and when he’ll have them available over on instagram @sweetersidemom There are currently a few left available here.*

how to make this Chunky crochet blanket (14)

The images below walk you through starting your foundation chain. However, if you need to learn how to crochet as a total beginner, you can check out this YouTube video I created to help you get started!

For this blanket, treat the two strands of yarn as if they are one and hold them together throughout the entire blanket. This can seem tricky at first, like there are too many loops and strands all over, but once you get into the repetitive crochet motion, I promise it becomes second nature.

how to make this Chunky crochet blanket (15)

Chain across 40 chains. Insert chain into second chain from hook and single crochet into each stitch all the way across. Chain one extra (always) and turn. Repeat the first row for the entire length of the blanket. See, I told you it was easy!

The trickiest part of this chunky crochet blanket (and it isn’t that tricky at all once you know how!) changing colors. To do this, crochet the entire row and STOP before completing the turning chain. You’ll create this turning change with the new color. Insert your hook into the last loop of the row, cut tails of last color to about 12 inches long, and ready the next color of yarn(s) in your left (for me) hand. Pull a loop of the new color through the last loop of the old color. Then tug on the ends of the old color to tighten.

how to make this Chunky crochet blanket (16)

Now turn your work as you normally would only gather all four TAIL ends of yarn (two from old color, two from new) and lay them flat against the top edge of your chunky crochet blanket. You are going to crochet RIGHT OVER these ends which will leave you with almost zero ends to weave in when you are finished! It’s awesome.

how to make this Chunky crochet blanket (17)

I snuck a little progress shot of this beauty. It’s huge. Gigantic. Squishy. Mmmm it’s so good. Word of caution, it’s not the best project to tote around in a project bag, haha! It’s simply too big!

After all of your colors have been completed, you are finished! Pull the tails all the way through on your last stitch and pull tight. Then use your yarn needle to weave these ending tails in and also the beginning tails too. Trim the yarn if there is any sticking out from where you crocheted over at each color change and…voila! The most amazing chunky crochet blanket ever. EVER.

*Finished blanket dimensions are about 45″ x 43″. This will vary based on your own tension. Slightly tighter crocheters will get a smaller blanket, slightly looser crochers will get a slightly larger blanket.*

How to Crochet a Chunky Blanket....an affordable beginner project! | via Make It and Love ItHow to Crochet a Chunky Blanket....an affordable beginner project! | via Make It and Love It

If you are addicted to crochet (me too!) you’ll probably love my pinterest crochet board: Crochet Projects To Try.

And definitely stop over on instagram @sweetersidemom. I’d love to chat with you over there. Happy Tuesday!

-Jacquie

blog contributor jacqueline

. . . . .

Do you have blankets on the brain?

You might want to try your hand at making this incredibly soft self-binding minky baby blanket:

Self-Binding MINKY Baby Blanket (with applique). So fast. So cuddly! --- Make It and Love It

And you’ll definitely want  a gorgeous way to display your beautiful hand-made blankets.

Try making this DIY Blanket Storage Display Ladder

DIY Blanket Storage Display Ladder.....a truly simple design! --- Make It and Love It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Crafts, Sewing, & Home Decor, Family, Guest Contributor Jacquie, Home Decor, Sewing

Comments

47 Responses to “How to Crochet a Chunky Blanket (…an affordable beginner project!)”
    Pyper says:

What are the finished dimensions? (Did I miss them in the instructions?)

Heidi says:

I LOVE this blanket!! I can’t wait to make one. I look forward to hopping over to your blog and checking out all of your projects Jacquie! Ashley I have to tell you something. First of all your post on Facebook a year ago asking wether you should learn crocheting or knitting is what got me to start crocheting. And I LOVE it so thank you ;) But more importantly (and kinda embarrassingly) is that when you shared you were pregnant (was it 2 years ago already maybe??) I started crying. My husband asked why. I told him you were pregnant and going to be sharing all these fun baby projects and it got us started on a long discussion about having #3. And here I am now with a 3 month old little boy to sew and crochet for!!! LOL. It really all started because of your announcement!!!! And I had been asking for #3 for 7 years!!!!!!!!! I had my first 2 babes in my early 20’s before crafty blogs and pinterest existed. My husband and I didn’t even HAVE THE INTERNET!! Having a baby now with supportive breastfeeding Facebook pages, and pinterest, and everything now at my disposal has been so much fun :) Hope you are doing well, and thanks for your wonderful blog :) You’re actually the one who inspired me to start sewing too :)

Oh my goodness, Heidi, thank you so much for this. I just have to tell you, I met my husband after work at a little taco shop for dinner last night and while sitting there, he mentioned, “hey, did you read that cool comment on your blog today?” I told him no and asked him what it said and he told me I had to read it myself. So, I had chips and salsa in one hand and my iphone in the other…..and quickly my eyes filled right up with tears, right there in that little taco shop. I think sometimes I forget who’s on the other side of these posts reading them, so reading comments like this one, does something to my heart! Thanks so much for making yourself very real to me! And even more, YAY for baby #3!! I’m a sucker for a happy baby ending….so this makes my heart kind of explode! And it’s funny what triggers a conversation that needs to happen……I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to us, and it’s usually a big life discussion that all started with something so small. So interesting how that works.

And hooray, I love that you have learned to crochet…..such a cool art! And that sweet Jacquie has such a great eye for crocheting the prettiest things! She inspires me too! :)

Thanks again Heidi….consider yourself squeezed! :)

Janelle says:

I agree with Heidi that you are SUPER amazing Ashley and I just have to give you a shout out for it! You ROCK! You’ve inspired my creativity for literally YEARS! I am a super fan and I tell everyone about your site! Lots of fan love! XOXO

Jacquie so happy you’re working with this amazing woman and thanks so much for sharing! I’ve never tried crochet but I’m gonna start! Looking forward to more from you both!! :)

Okay Janelle, maybe you and Heidi planned this….(but you’ll have to read the response I left for her) but right after reading her comment sitting in that taco shop last night, I read yours, and couldn’t have had a bigger smile on my face. And I won’t lie……sometimes I have to deal with little bits of hatred from readers/commenters/etc, so I think that’s why incredibly sweet comments stir my emotions right up! Really, thanks for making a girl feel so good! :)

Stephanie R says:

This blanket looks so comfy, I bet it perfect to curl up with!

Nina says:

Gorgeous blanket, I love the chunky style and colours you chose! Crochet is not my strong suit but I love the look, zero patience I believe is the problem!

ella ruth says:

Pictures are great. I would love to try this but I would have to have instructions showing left-handed. Thanks for sharing. : (

Love your blanket :-)
    I must try it myself.
    Lovely pics also :-)
    Have a lovely weekend :-)

Mindi says:

Can you tell me about the chair in your title picture?

Kelsey says:

If I use a smaller hook like a size Q will that make I huge difference? Will it make the holes smaller?

Willow says:

I would like to make one of these big enough for a bed spread. I was thinking 70 x 80, if I doubled the amount of yarn you suggest would that be enough to make this project in that size?

P.S. Joanne’s website has the yarn you call for on sale right now! :D

Connie says:

I love this blanket! Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for something fun to teach my granddaughter how to crochet. This is perfect. I found the yarn at JoAnn’s here in SLC. It says to hand wash and lay flat to dry. Have you washed your blanket? Just wondering how it turned out because I know I will just throw it in the washer!

Thanks,

Jacquie says:

I haven’t washed this blanket yet but when I do wash crochet items I usually dry clean them… They don’t get very “dirty” in our house. When I have needed to wash yarn items I just use my machines gentlest cycle and fluff dry with no heat. Since this blanket is so chunky I’d be nervous it would snag though!

Sandy says:

I found the yarn at Meijer’s for $2.99 with 15% off- much better than Joann and Micheal’s for $7.99 a skein

Jacquie says:

I’m not sure what Meijer is but that’s great! The yarn I used is advertised as *only* available at JoAnn so I didn’t even think to check elsewhere. Great find!

Kim says:

I have never crocheted but want to learn. I’m pretty crafty. Do you think I could do this blanket as a beginner? Plus I’m left handed but could probably learn right handed. Love it.

Jacquie says:

You can ABSOLUTELY do this project as a beginner. As for left handed… That’s a trickier one for me but I’m sure you can figure it out. I know many left handed crocheter who still crochet right handed.

Sheree says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve always wanted to learn crocheting and you made it so easy! I’ve just started my first blanket and my husband and bambinos are so excited with each new colour that I add! My daughter (8) is so keen for me to give her a lesson but I need to do a little more first before I’ll be confident enough to show her! The video is brilliant – simple and easy to follow! Thank you again — feeling so good that finally I’m able to crochet! Yay!! :)

Jacquie says:

You are quite welcome! I LOVE reading when people first start to crochet so I am so excited for you! You’ll soon be addicted- welcome to the dark side!

Ann Marie says:

Hi, I’m totally new to crocheting and am going to try and do this after I try to “learn” a little on a smaller scale. I was wondering how you knew when to change the color though? It just says when ready to, so did you just go until you saw you were almost out of that color? Thank you!!

Jacquie says:

Yes just keep using the same color until it looks like you won’t be able to make it through another row! If you start a row and don’t have enough team left to finish that row just pull out those stitches gently!

Carol says:

I’m having a real hard time with that big hook making the chunky blanket….it’s hard to use and get through the yarn, mine looks different than your picks I don’t see the nice, let’s call them holes, you know what I mean lol…..I’m thinking of just making a not chunky one…I bought all the stuff today $105.00. It’s not the same wat hing the ideo with one strand,but now I. Sure I can do that one…thanks for any help, and your chunky blanket is beautiful

Jacquie says:

Hi Carol! I’m so sorry you are having a difficult time- the big hook takes some getting used to. Don’t give up! Try loosening up your tension and see if that helps!

• 16.1.1
        Carol says:

Thanks Jacquie, it helped loosening the tension….I’ve finished….I would post a pic here for you but I don’t see how to do that…it turned out good if I must say so and my kids and grandkids…..5 GK, All want one….lol my Yorkies love it, like anything new and blankets …afghans specifically are a real fav……my husband loved it….I’m proud of it too.

Thank you.

Michelle says:

I’m just curious about how long this blanket would take to complete (for a beginner)? Thanks!

Carol says:

Michelle, it took me 3 days, took me a bit to get the hang of it…….biggest hook I ever saw……I obsessed on making this, I either obsess or try something and shove it in the closet and never finish, my husband was surprised how fast I did it and surprised I finished it, lol, he loved it…

• 17.1.1
        Michelle says:

I’m obsessing over it right now and I have the same” finishing things” issue, that’s why I was curious on the amount of time I would need. :) If you said 9 days I probably wouldn’t have started on it. Off to the yarn store! Thanks!

Emily says:

HI! I am using a size Q hook and am going to at 11 stitches to hopefully measure out to the size you made.. My question is how many rows of each color did you do? Just trying to count so my color blocking looks equal and intentional. Thanks! Em

Robyn says:

Hi Emily,
      I am also planning on using a size Q hook. This will be my first project. Can you please tell me how many stitches you ended up adding and the number of rows for each color? Where you happy with the finished product?
      Robyn

Laura says:

This blanket is such an inspiration! After knitting for years, I’ve been looking for a simple crochet project to get me started. Can’t wait to get to learn to crochet and get started on this project. Thanks!

Miranda says:

Could you tell me the color you used in the middle? I got light grey when at JoAnn’s but it doesn’t quite look the same as yours. My store didn’t have anything else close but when I looked on-line it looks like there is a taupe that might be close to what you used.

Thanks for the inspiration and great tutorial. I’ve always wanted to learn to crochet and this was my jumping off project!

Kathy says:

Thank you for the tutorial! I bought chunky yarn after seeing a roving blanket! But then got frustrated till I saw this!
    I just love your color combination – I would never have thought those colors would work!
    New inspiration!

Lauren says:

Was wordering if you had the name of the colors she used in this project.

• 21.1.1
        Kathy says:

Sorry, Lauren – I don’t know the colors used. Maybe if a person went to website of Big Twist Yarns & checked our their Natural yarns, it will probably give names for the colors. That’s what I will be doing!! At this point, I don’t recognize the brand of yarn from our Canadian Michael stores

Sara says:

Could you make it bigger, adding another color?

Was wondering get if you have the name of all the colors for this project. I have the hook already. Might have to buy them online because Joann didn’t have them.

Lizy says:

Have you attempted to make a bigger size blanket? like maybe to fit a bed spread? I didn’t know if the chunkiness/thickness of the blanket would make it awkward to have it that large.

Hi Jacquiein. I was thrilled to find the pattern to your Bulky Blanket. It looked just right for my 17-year-old granddaughter who recently requested I make her a super soft blanket. I am a novice at everything I do because I love to craft on many things. I better start concentrating on just one craft and crocheting so far seems to be my favorite.

I think this may be too small for her. She is small but we can never give them too much length, don’t you agree? I have 4 colors, 4 of one color and 2 each of the other three colors = 10 skeins of the Big Twist Natural. I am going to try to crochet as loose as I can because I tend to crochet tight. Do you think I need to add more yarn in order to make this maybe 50″ long? Thank you for reply.

Hi Jacquie, Sorry I misspelled your name in my original comment. This was typo in the worst place. Please forgive me.

Mary says:

Love the pattern! The colors are perfect. Can I ask where you got that amazing hook with the colored handle??

Mary says:

Ok never mind about the hook! I read more and saw. Sorry about that ;)

Michelle says:

You have this written in your instructions:
    Chain across 40 chains. Insert “chain” into second chain from hook and single crochet into each stitch all the way across. Chain one extra (always) and turn. Repeat the first row for the entire length of the blanket. See, I told you it was

I put the word in question in quotes – you say insert “chain” into the second chain from hook… Is that correct?