Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker (no cord or batteries needed)

Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker (no cord or batteries needed)

We listen to music all the time in this house.  Most of our music is on our phones, so we can easily turn on something to listen to driving in the car, while doing dishes, when we’re outside playing, while showering and getting ready, etc.  However, even though the sound on our phones is pretty good……it can only get so loud.  We have a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen that works great — but sometimes it’s a pain to haul around to different rooms, the garage, outside, etc.

And instead of buying a bluetooth speaker for every location in our entire house……we made a really inexpensive alternative, that also blends in with your decor.

A Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker……and nope, no cords or batteries needed.

DIY Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker (no cord or batteries needed) | via Make It and Love It

All it is, is a few pieces of wood glued together and then stained…..to pretty it up a bit!

And how does it work??  Well, have you ever set the speaker end of your phone into a bowl, to increase the volume and to help it resonate?  Same concept here.  There’s a hole at the very bottom of the cell phone slot, that then leads to the “speaker” openings.

It’s hard to see from the outside because everything is glued together……but the sound channels down through that opening and is forced to the right or the left, where there are openings where the sound can swirl around and then amplify…..coming out both of those circle openings.

Pretty cool, right?!?!  Well, it’s actually much cooler when you hear it for yourself.  Because it’s pretty amazing how much the sound improves, with no actual speaker wiring or electricity.

Maybe actually hearing for yourself will help you hear the difference…..so here’s a quick video. :)

wooden iphone amplifier speaker

Video link HERE

I know….crazy!  I can hear the sound this produces from so much further away than just laying my phone on the counter.

In fact, I have this speaker sitting right next to me as I’m typing this up, and I just turned it down because it was too loud.  Ha!

And no more unplugging our bluetooth speaker and re-setting the functions each time I want to switch rooms in the house.  Now, I can either grab this and take it with me, or create a few more.  Because, it sure is a lot prettier to have sitting on a counter or shelf than the ugly black speaker and cord.

Okay, let’s get started!!

**This speaker was made to custom fit my IPHONE 5S with its bulky Otter Box case.  (My phone is constantly dropped and gets water spilled on it all the time.  So even though it’s not the prettiest, that Otter Box has saved me a TON of money. :))  However, if you have a different size phone, you’ll have to tweak these measurements to fit your phone just right.  Your speaker may also be in a different place (depending on your phone brand) and you want to be sure the the opening is placed right where your speaker sits.  SO, use this as a guide…..because once you see how this works, it will be simple to adjust. :)

SUPPLIES:

• 24 inch long WOOD PLANK, 1/2 inch thick x 5 9/16 wide (the wood plank we bought was poplar and it came 5 9/16 inches wide.  I know….weird measurement, but we just went with it and built around the measurement.)
  • 3/4 x 3/4 inch SQUARE WOOD DOWEL (you need about 41 inches…..but we bought 2 dowels that were 36 inches long each)
  • wood glue
  • wood tools
  • sand paper
  • clamps (or heavy weights of some sort)
  • optional: stain, paint, varnish (depends on what look you like best)

First of all, cut your 24 inch long wood plank into two 12-inch long pieces.  (One of the pieces will be labeled as #1 down below and the other will be labeled as #3).  Then, cut your dowel(s) into the appropriate pieces shown below.

IMG_0009

Here are the measurements for the above wood pieces:

#1:

• A – 4 9/16 inches
  • B – 5 9/16 inches (which was the actual width of the piece of wood)
  • C – 12 inches
  • D –  2 13/16 inches
  • E – 2 7/8 inches

#2:

• A – 4 9/16 inches
  • B – 4 1/16 inches
  • C – 12 inches
  • D – 2 13/16 inches
  • E – 2 1/2 inches
  • F – 1 7/16 inches

#3:

• A – 12 inches
  • B – 5 9/16 inches (which was the actual width of the piece of wood)

Now, arrange your wood pieces from #2 on top of wood piece #3 and make sure that everything fits correctly.  Now, the little opening for the speaker should be just wide enough for the speaker holes.  Check yours to be sure it lines up.

IMG_0004

Even better, slide your phone carefully onto the slot and check to be sure it fits and that the speaker is above the opening.

IMG_0007

**Also, it’s important to note (if you’re changing the measurements for your phone), the small channel that carries the sound to the right or the left, is only 1/2 inch wide.  Keeping it narrow like this will help keep the sound condensed until it reaches the larger areas to swirl around and resonate out the circle openings.

Next, grab your #1 piece and find the exact center of the two ends and use a Hole Saw to cut a 2 1/8 inch hole into each side.  (You can also use a jig saw with a fine blade.)

IMG_0010

This is optional….but made it look kinda cool.  Use a router to round the edgez of the hole opening.  Place this piece on top of the others to be sure everything lines up correctly.

IMG_0025

Now, glue the #2 pieces on top of the #3 piece, using wood glue.

IMG_0016

Then place a layer of glue on top of the #2 pieces and spread it thin with your finger.

IMG_0034

Place the #1 piece right on top and make sure all edges are even.  Clamp all your pieces together and let dry completely.  (If you don’t have any clamps, try placing heavy books on top or some other type of heavy object.)

IMG_0039

Once the glue has dried, sand all of the edges and wipe off any dust with a damp cloth.  Then, you can either paint, varnish, or stain your wood.  It’s up to you!  (I used a mixture of brown and black acrylic paint and watered it down with water. Worked great….because I didn’t have actual stain on hand.)

IMG_0048

If you want, use sand paper to rough up the edges and give the wood some texture.  Then add a layer of varnish to finish it off.  (I used a glossy varnish that I bought right next to the acrylic paint bottles, that was less than $1.)

IMG_0050

And that’s it!

Time to slide your phone right inside and play your favorite tunes!!

-Ashley

Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker (no cord or batteries needed)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Gift Ideas, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

37 Responses to “Wooden Phone Amplifier/Speaker (no cord or batteries needed)”
    Lindsey says:

Well, that’s it, I’m making on tomorrow.

Cas says:

Looks great, just not sure how to adapt it for my Galaxy S4 – my speaker is on the bottom left of the back of my phone (about 1″ from bottom edge and 1.5″ from left edge of back) so sound comes out of back of phone.

Anyone got a suggestion please?

Hmmm, maybe you could make it so the phone lies down in the slot instead of standing upright.

Ooooh, that’s tough. Laying it down is a good idea. Just keep the top flat with a hole in the top….and then maybe a few pieces of the dowel on top so the phone can rest against it when it’s sitting there.

Just keep in mind. The whole point is that you give it a channel to force the sound through and then an open section for the sound to amplify and then exit.

Hope that helps!!! :)

lisa says:

I’m trying to figure out the same thing. Have you tried it? I was thinking of building up the sound channel up to where the speaker is.

Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

Sorry to get back to you so late on this. I was replying to a more recent comment and saw yours and thought I’d respond. I don’t normally do this but since I helped with the project I thought I’d see if I could help. Initially I considered making several different models for different phones, however, I have an iphone and don’t know anyone with a galaxy so that limited my ability to design one for phones such are yours or even test it out. Due to the placement of the galaxy’s speaker it does make this project a little trickier. There are plenty of passive speakers online that you can buy and pinterest will have a bunch of DIY plans too I’m sure. I found this one (see link) http://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/07/foto-passive-sound-amplifier.html with a cool easy design and pretty simple. You would not have to use the same cone they did because really you could use any bowel/cone shaped device to do the same thing. To create the holes you either need a large forstner bit or a spade bit or a hole saw bit. The forstner bit will give you cleaner edges but can cost more depending on the size of the bit. Be sure to have a scrap piece of wood under your project wood to avoid break out or chipping. I would get a bit that is 1/4-1/2 inch bigger than your speaker on your phone. Try it out with scrap wood first to get the best size. Once you have make a hole with one of these bits it is hard to make a larger one in the same spot unless you have a drill press so figure out the hole size first before attempting the final project.

Good luck to you, hope this helped! Happy wood working!

Steve

Jen says:

This is so cool. As always, Ashley — thank you so much for making the instructions so simple, clear and easy to follow. Hopefully I can whip one up before Father’s Day rolls around.. …. …!

debbie says:

Wow! That is SO cool!! Thanks!

e.f. says:

That’s amazing!!
    but- is it really loud enough?

It’s definitely significantly louder than just using your phone speaker. It’s not like hooking it up to an actual speaker….but is a really cool alternative for when you just need a bit more volume.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Bri says:

What is the thickness for the little pieces that are jointed together??? And the thickness for the first and 3rd wood peices!??

Bri says:

• 6.1.1
        Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

The thickness of the dowel and the front and back pieces is listed under the “Supplies” list. I’ve copied and pasted it here so you don’t have to go find it. Keep in mind you can adjust these depending on phone and/or phone case thickness. We chose to use the 1/2 inch for the front and back to see if it would allow for more resonance and a bigger sound but didn’t notice much difference between the one’s that I have made. The biggest difference I found was the size of the chamber. The one that we posted had the best sound at that thickness compared to a smaller model we made. I hope this helps! Good luck with the project, it was a ton of fun to experiment with this and can be so versatile for many different phones! Here’s the supply list:

SUPPLIES:

24 inch long WOOD PLANK, 1/2 inch thick x 5 9/16 wide (the wood plank we bought was poplar and it came 5 9/16 inches wide. I know….weird measurement, but we just went with it and built around the measurement.)
        wood glue
        wood tools
        sand paper
        clamps (or heavy weights of some sort)
        optional: stain, paint, varnish (depends on what look you like best)

Mike the wood says:

Can you make a tutorial of how to make the amplifier speakers? I know that you already put it on YouTube but then it does kind of make it easier to fallow if it’s made with a video. I love the creation of this and I want to try it but I suck with measurement 👌🏻😑😑😑

Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

Mike,

Because there are so many different phones with varying shapes, sizes and speaker locations we chose to just do the written tutorial. You can pick up an inexpensive tape measure with markings included down to a 32nd on the internet or a local hardware store which can help with measuring. Unfortunately without a measuring tape, it would be very difficult to create a straight or square project. Good luck!

Conor stones wwe says:

What’s the width of the #2 wood in the middle???????!!!??

Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

Conor if you’ll look in the tutorial under the “Supplies” list it will let you know #2 piece is a square dowel that is 3/4 inch thick. Good luck!

Fbfgehtæ 24 179385 partly says:

Yeah i wanna know what it is too. You know the middle part I wanna make it but it’s too much like information yah now what I mean? But yeah it’s really cool tho. I’m making it for a school project and it’s like nota lot of you width d
    To the measurements. Should I measure my phone I got an android it sucks but imma try to make it tho so please let me know ASAP TY

Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

It is a square dowel that is 3/4 inch thick that you will use for #2. You will definitely want to measure your phone as most phones are not the same shape or size. Also, the placement of the speaker on your phone may effect your design. This passive speaker was designed with an iPhone in mind so the speaker is on the bottom left. If your speaker is on the back of your phone, this speaker may not work as well for your phone. Good luck!

Fbfgehtæ 24 179385 partly says:

How big are the circles???

Steve (Mr Make it and Love it) says:

2 1/8 inch. We used a hole saw for this. You can really choose any size you would like as there are generally a wide selection of sizes of hole saws at Lowe’s or Home Depot and I’m sure that you could buy one on Amazon as well if you don’t have a hardware store nearby. We chose this size because we already had it and it fit the size of the speaker well. Hope this helps and good luck!

Bri says:

Almost finished lol didn’t know it would be this hard😅

Bri says:

And also what is the paint called?

Alexis says:

Hi,

I am a Yr 9 student at alfriston college, NZ. I am planning to do this project in my tech class. Can you please give measurements for Samsung galaxy s5.

Thanks, it will really help me out a lot.
    P.s This a present for my sister

Alexis

Alexis says:

Hi, can you please give measurements for Samsung galaxy s5. Can this be replied ASAP please. 😊

Thanks,
    Alexis

Can you please convert those measurements in either mm or cm because those measurements are confusing since I live in New Zealand. Please reply ASAP.