Make an EARPHONE HOLDER…from a mint container (VIDEO included)

Make an EARPHONE HOLDER…from a mint container (VIDEO included)

I love listening to music.  I almost always play some type of music while cleaning the house, driving in the car (talk radio??….no way!), working on the computer, exercising, etc.  I prefer to turn up the music so everyone can hear (like in the car or while while scrubbing those darn dishes)……but there are many times that I need earphones.  When I’m working out is probably when I use them most.  Or when I’m talking on the phone and need my hands free.  So, I always have a pair of earphones in my purse.  And somewhere else around the house.  But those darn things are always a tangled MESS!  It drives me nuts.  I have tried winding them up and tying something around them…..but another problem that creates, is that they become so small, I can’t find them in my purse.

So, Steve and I were chatting about that several weeks ago and I was telling him I needed some sort of case for them.  And of course, I didn’t want to have to buy anything (ha!)……so we started thinking.  Then, he picked up this mint container sitting on his night stand and said, “what about this?”  And that’s when I started gathering all the mint containers in the house (because I have several pairs of earphones)……….and created a little home for each pair of earphones.  Hallelujah!

Make an EARPHONE HOLDER (...from a mint container) | via Make It and Love It

I can now quickly wind them up when I’m done with them, tuck them into their new holder, and know they’ll be right there when I need them the next time.

Make an EARPHONE HOLDER (...from a mint container) | via Make It and Love It

And because I always carry a pair in my purse, I decided some sort of clip would be really helpful.  Because now I can clip it to my purse, my gym bag, my car keys, or whatever else I have with me……and then I always know where they are — TANGLE FREE!

Make an EARPHONE HOLDER (...from a mint container) | via Make It and Love It

You can certainly leave yours plain……but I added little circles of fabric to mine, to give them each a pop of design!

Anyway, I made another quick video of the process…..because, why not? :)  It’s quick but hopefully helpful to see the process actually happen.  (If you’re at work, shhhhh, it’s okay……you don’t need the sound turned up. There are info bubbles that pop up when needed.)

Even though I made them with the purpose of storing my earphones inside, my kids want to use them as little coin cases.  That would be kinda perfect to keep coins from hanging out at the bottom of your bag.

Anyway, gather up your old mint containers and turn them into something useful!

And enjoy!

-Ashley

Make an EARPHONE HOLDER…from a mint container (VIDEO included)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Accessory, Gift Ideas, No Sew, Re-purposing

Comments

54 Responses to “Make an EARPHONE HOLDER…from a mint container (VIDEO included)”
    Jenn says:

Great idea and love the upcycling! Quick PSA, though- not sure about any other state, but in MD, it is illegal to drive with headphones on, whether listening to music or talking on the phone.

Oh, I don’t ever drive with headphones on…..I was just mentioning that the car is another place I listen to music. I mainly just use earphones when exercising and sometimes while on the phone (so my hands can stay free). Maybe I’ll make that a little more clear though. Thanks Jenn!

Jen says:

Great idea – my daughters have those mint containers and I’m always losing my ziplock bag of headphones in my gym bag! Could use Washi tape to decorate even more easily..

Oh Jen, you and I both and our earphones in the gym bag. Such a pain. You NEED this! :)

Washi Tape would be perfect for this….great idea!

Good luck!

• 2.1.1
        Kelly D says:

Would using scrapbook paper with the mod podge work when decorating the outside???

• 2.1.1.1

Yes, paper would work great too. Just be sure to smooth out any bubbles so it doesn’t lift….but it should work just as well!

Good luck!

Ellie says:

Cute idea! Where did you get your clips?

I bought them at Hobby Lobby. But you could use any type of clip….even a carabiner. There’s also a variety of clips you could buy on Amazon.

Hope that helps!

• 3.1.1
        Ale says:

This is amazing I love up cycling. .. and I was wondering the same about where to buy the clips… thanks for the awesome idea!!!

Becki says:

What brand of mints? I don’t recognize the container. I live in Oregon great idea!

Cat says:

IceBreakers come in plastic containers that look similar to these. I like them because they’re sugar-free :) NOW I have more reason to buy them!

Thanks!

Sheena says:

My kids need those for their earphones. I will have to save up a few mint cases and make each of them one.

My girl scouts will love to make these. THANKS for sharing.

Kathleen D says:

Love this!

Kristina Noall says:

Decorative duct tape would work well, too, it seems like! Great idea. I made one like this out of fabric, but this would be much easier.
    Man, I’ve got to get a drill…

Myra Y says:

I used duct tape on mine. I also used the duct tape on the plug end of my earphone, charger cord/wire and charger. It makes it easy to recognize if you have a number different charger wires.

Brooke says:

What brand of mints did you use? I don’t think I’ve seen any packages that small. Love it!

Natasha says:

What a fantastic and cute idea! What size drill bit did you use? (Or did you say somewhere and I missed it?)

Lyndsy says:

How do you keep the fabric from falling off? We made these yesterday after seeing the video you made and the fabric has come off already. We used a brand new bottle of mod podge too.

Oh really?? Sorry about that. I have 1 container in my purse but the other 2 containers have been kicking around the house and my 10 month old has even been playing with them and banging them on things (and chewing on them)……and the fabric is on there really solid. So, let me think. First of all, did you use plenty of Mod Podge? It really needs to soak in and harden the fabric up and adhere it to the plastic. Just be sure that the top coat was also nice and even, completely covering and saturating the fabric, especially around the edges. Also, you may want to check to be sure your fabric is slightly smaller than the opening section of the container, so there’s no lip of fabric that could start flapping and peeling up. Maybe that was the problem? Also, be sure you shook up the Mod Podge really well, to be sure you weren’t getting the watery stuff that’s near the top.

Anyway, hopefully one or more of those ideas was helpful…..and let me know if it still peels off.

• 11.1.1
        Lyndsy says:

I think part of my problem could be that the fabric is a little larger than the flap so I trimmed it down and glued it down again. I think if it happens again I may take a fine grit sand paper and just rough up the top a little to give it a better surface to adhere to.

• 11.1.1.1

Oh yes, roughing it up would help too……but dang, sorry you’ve had to try it so many times. Mine are on there so firmly…..I’m hoping trimming your fabric does the trick!

Good luck! :)

Condo Blus says:

This is seriously genius! I need me for my purse.

This is absolutely brilliant! Pinned to save for later…after my husband finishes his next container of mints. Thanks so much for sharing!

HeatherAnne says:

That is super cute. My head phones are always a tangled, knotted mess when I finally resurrect them from the bottom of my purse. I think I’d use duct tape. It is a favorite at my house with each child owning about 2 dozen rolls so I think I can probably swipe a bit that is cute. Maybe the “I ♥ bacon” one?

Cheryl says:

Love this idea! I think we will be making this the first week we are out of school before all the summer fun road trips happen. My oldest just got his first ipod shuffle, I think it may fit too which would be great so he has a safe place to keep it during travels this summer too. I love the duct tape idea that others have mentioned.

Suzanne says:

I used fun duct tape instead of fabric works great!!

Murph says:

What size key ring did you use? How far apart did you drill the holes?

julie h says:

What a fantastic idea!!!

Chris says:

Ashley, you are such a genius! (or should I be crediting Steve for the idea?..hmmm) We will definitely be saving those mint containers from now on! Minty breath and headphone storage, win-win!!

Thanks for sharing!

Omgosh this is awesome! ! My fur babies love to bite my children’s headphones and it gets expensive. We are gonna do these soon,craft night. Thx for posting!! :)

Kristina says:

Great idea I’m planning on doing that, although what would you prefer if I were to change the color of the bottom Part of the container?

Sally says:

Brilliant! I’m a bit skeptical that it’ll really keep my headphones from getting tangled, but I’ll give it a try because I love recycling and upcycling. And if anything, I can use it has a storage container to hang on purses, backpacks, lunch bags, etc. Great idea. Thanks for posting this. Can’t wait to try it! <3

Karen says:

Where did you get the ring with the clip?

Aine says:

You should be able to buy the clip and the ring at a craft store, craft section of a department store, or anywhere they make keys. They’re usually sold separately.

Sherry Lollar says:

Have you found where we can purchase just the containers? I have so many friends that I want to make one for, I’m thinking this will be a stocking stuffer!

Tishia says:

Ice breakers!Late I realise but didn’t know if you were told in time for x-mas! If not just bleach the containers first,otherwise your earbuds will smell like mints.Merry next Christmas!

Aine says:

I just saw your video — a friend shared it on facebook. WONDERFUL! How did you even think of this? This is such an awesome organization tool.

Kinda unrelated, but what video editing program did you use to make the video? I’m trying to find one that’s easy to use. Was your software easy to learn?

kay says:

what do i need to make this

Becky W. says:

New crafter…there are so many types of Mod Podge, which one???
    Please and Thank You

Sara says:

I love this idea! I just bought some mint cases and am going to make these for stocking stuffers. Thanks!

Marcia Fox says:

How far apart should the holes be drilled? Seems like it needs to be precise in order for the ring to fit. My Girl Scouts are making these Friday!

Debbie says:

Hi Ashley,
    I made this exactly the way you show on the video. When the mod podge dried, the fabric came off. Is there something I missed?

Shannah says:

I love this idea! I’m going to make one for my daughter’s hairpins and attach it to her dance bag. Off topic, but where did you get the bag in your picture? I love it :-)

David says:

Where did you buy the orange fabric with the white dots?

David

Tishia says:

Thank you! I love this idea.it came at the perfect time of a need and an empty mint container.?I saw it on buzzfeed a couple of weeks ago but didn’t save it so had to go back this evening and go thru all their diy post.worth it though.only thing,be careful putting it on the outside of the purse.I know it’s cute and I allways want to show off a pretty new project but it’s too easy for them to get snatched that way.I use an o-ring that i attached to the little tab on the zipper of the pocket inside the purse (previously used for keys).can’t wait to try this for a change purse for my mom when the next container empties!Thanks

Roxy says:

I loved the idea of these guys – so I went ahead and made them with the fabric that you suggested. This morning I checked them and the fabric just peeled off. I used ModPodge. It didn’t seem to adhere to the plastic. Your thoughts??

Lily says:

What kind of tape did you use to decorate the outside of the mint container.

Nat Ford says:

What brand of mints is this? I have never seen anything like this. I am in the UK.

Kasia says:

I like the idea very much, it’s so practical!
    I featured it in my “Back to School” inspiration board here https://esikfloresik.blogspot.com/2016/08/back-to-school-inspiration-board.html

xoxo