Pineapple Drawstring Backpack

So happy to have Crystal back today, from Stitched by Crystal! And oh my, are you guys going to LOVE today’s project!  In fact, I’m pretty sure everyone you know (no matter the age) needs one of these!  So incredibly adorable — and perfect for spring!!

-Ashley
. . . . .

Hello Make It and Love It readers!  It is Crystal, from Stitched by Crystal here, and it is so good to be back here to share a fun tutorial with you today!

I love sewing little girl bags, and my two year old loves carrying them…so it really works out great!  Last year I shared a fun little girl pleated purse with you guys and today I have a little drawstring backpack, that works for both little or big girls, inspired by my favorite fruit…..a pineapple!

DIY Pineapple Drawstring Backback...so fun for all ages! | via Make It and Love It

This bag is really fun for little ones, but it really works for anyone.  You could even make the straps longer and keep it for yourself!  And it is so much fun to make!  Wouldn’t a pineapple sack make a fun gift for giving too?

I am really itching for summer to get here and this sewing project really put me in a summery mood.  It makes me think of someplace tropical and beach-y.  Speaking of beach-y, this pineapple would be so fun to take with you on your next trip to the beach or pool…maybe even make one with a waterproof lining, like PUL, to keep all your stuff dry!

The bag construction is really easy.  It’s a simple bag that cinches shut on the top when you pull the straps and it is fully lined.  It is really easy to customize too.  You could increase the dimensions a bit if you want a slightly bigger bag or sew some pockets into the lining if you are a pocket fan!

Want to make a pineapple backpack?  Let me show you how!

To make a pineapple sack you will need:

• 1/3 yard of green fabric for the leaves
  • 4 yards of pre-made double fold bias tape for the straps or you can make your own bias tape…or use some parachute cording or other really thick string
  • 1/2 yard of pineapple-y fabric for the exterior of the bag
  • 1/2 yard of lining fabric
  • 1/4 yard of fusible woven interfacing (like Pellon Shapeflex SF101)
  • Basic sewing supplies

Pineapple Tutorial 1

Start by cutting rectangles for the bag.  You will need two rectangles of your main fabric and two of your lining fabric that are 12″ wide x 13″ tall.  Then cut 1.5″ squares from the bottom corners of all four of those rectangles like shown below.

Pineapple Tutorial 2

Also from your main fabric color, cut a smaller rectangle that is 6″ x 1.5″.  This will be used to make loops for the straps.  Fold this rectangle in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, lining up the long edges.  Then open it up and fold the edges into the crease.  Refold on the center crease and sew along the open side.

Pineapple Tutorial 3

Cut the loop strip into two 3″ pieces.  Fold both 3″ pieces in half and baste them near the bottom edge of one of your outer bag pieces like shown in the photo below.  They need to be sewn 3/4″ above the corner cutouts and the raw edges should be lined up with the raw edge of the bag.

Pineapple Tutorial 4

Next, cut two rectangles from your green fabric that are 2.75″ x 12″.  These will be channels for the straps to go through at the top of the bag.  Hem the short edges by folding them in towards the wrong side 3/8″ then another 3/8″ and then sewg along the folded edge.  Then fold the bottom edge up 1/2″ towards the wrong side of the fabric.

Pineapple Tutorial 5

Center one of the green strips along the top of one of your main bag pieces with the raw edges lined up.  Sew along the folded edge to attach the strip to the main bag piece.

Pineapple Tutorial 6

Repeat and sew the other green strip to the top of your second main bag piece, the same way as the first.

Pineapple Tutorial 7

Place the two main bag pieces together, with right sides together.  Sew along the bottom and sides, using a 1/2″ seam allowance.  Do not sew the bottom corner cut outs.

Pineapple Tutorial 8

Next, you will box out the corners.  Do this by pinching the top corner of the cutouts on the front and back and pulling them apart, line up the side and bottom seams.  The edges of your corner cut out should now be straight across, sew across the corner with a 1/2″ seam allowance.

Pineapple Tutorial 9

Repeat with your other corner.

Pineapple Tutorial 10

Next, place your lining pieces together, with right sides together.  Sew along the sides and bottom, leaving a 3″ opening at the bottom of the lining, right at the center.  Box out the corners the same way you did for the main bag pieces.

Pineapple Tutorial 11

To make the leaves, you need four rectangles of green fabric that are 12″ x 5.5″.

Pineapple Tutorial 12

Fuse interfacing to the back of two of the rectangles.  Then place those two rectangles right sides together and sew them along one of short sides with a 1/2″ seam allowance.  Press the seam open and lay the strip out in front of you, with the wrong side up.  With a water soluble pen, draw a line across the strip 1.5″ from the bottom.  Then draw a dot on the line that is 1/2″ from the edge on both sides.  Draw your pineapple leaves on the line starting at one dot and ending at the other.  The leaves don’t have to be perfect, after all no pineapple has perfect leaves!

Pineapple Tutorial 13

Fold the strip right sides together on the center seam and sew the other side of the rectangles with a 1/2″ seam allowance, creating one continuous loop of fabric.  Place the other 2 rectangles of fabric together, with right sides together, and sew the ends together the same way, So now you have 2 loops of green fabric, one with interfacing and leaves drawn on and the other without.  With one green loop of fabric inside out and one right side out, slide the right side out one inside the other so that the two are right sides together.  Line up the side seams and the raw edges of the two loops and pin them in a few places to keep them straight as you sew.

Pineapple Tutorial 14

This part is a little tricky.  You are going to sew the two loops together along the leaf line you drew.  I find this is easiest if the side with interfacing and leaf lines are on the inside of the loop.  Then you can sew along the lines working on the inside of the loop and it is easier to move your fabric around.  Sew along the line until you get to the tip of a leaf, make sure your needle is down on the point, lift your presser foot, shift the fabric, and then continue sewing down the next edge of the leaf.  Continue along the zig-zag leaf line, until you’ve sewn around the entire loop.

Pineapple Tutorial 15

Now, trim the fabric above the leaves.  Remember, you left 1.5″ below the leaves, you don’t want to trim that off.  Trim straight across the top of the leaves close to your stitching and trim down into the “V” between the leaves as close as you can get without snipping your threads.

Pineapple Tutorial 16

Turn the leaves right side out and use a chopstick or other small point to push out the tips of the leaves.  Press the leaves with an iron and top stitch along the top.

Pineapple Tutorial 17

Line up the raw edge of the leaves with the top of the main bag.  Baste the leaves in place with a 1/2″ seam allowance.

Pineapple Tutorial 18

With the lining inside out, place the main bag inside the lining and line up the top of the two bags.  Sew all the way around the top with a 1/2″ seam allowance.

Pineapple Tutorial 19

Pineapple Tutorial 20

Turn the bag right side out through the hole you left in the bottom of the lining.  Tuck the raw edge of the opening in and stitch it closed.

Pineapple Tutorial 21

Tuck the lining down into the bag and press with an iron.

Pineapple Tutorial 22

Now all you need are straps!  For the straps, you can use either double fold bias tape or a thick string like a parachute cord (which you can get in the jewelry making section at most craft stores).  If you are using store bought bias tape, you will want to sew it shut along the open side.

To make your own bias tape, cut your fabric into 1.5″ strips. For longer straps, you will need to sew two strips together. For toddler sized straps, the width of your fabric will work (about 44″) for the length of your straps.  Fold and sew the strips the same way you made the loops in the beginning (fold in half, then fold edges in to center crease, then refold in center and sew).

Pineapple Tutorial 23

Cut two straps to the length you want (44-50″ inches for toddler, 60″ for children and 70″ for adult),  Attach a safety pin to the end of one strap and feed the strap through the channel at the top of the bag. When you get to the end of the channel bring the strap around to the other side of the bag and feed it through the channel on the other side of the bag.

Pineapple Tutorial 24

Repeat with the other strap, starting on the opposite side.

Pineapple Tutorial 25

Attach the straps to the loops on the bottom of the bag.  To do this, feed one end of the strap through the loop and leave the other end out side the loop.  Knot the two strap ends together.

Pineapple Tutorial 26

Another option for attaching the straps is to use big wooden beads.  Feed both ends of the strap through the loop, then through the wooden button, and then knot the ends of the strap.

Pineapple Tutorial 27

Your pineapple bag is DONE!

pineapple backpack (4)

Now fill it up with all your favorite stuff, or give it to your little one to fill, and you are ready for some summer adventures!

Want more fruit bag inspiration? Check out these fun fruity zipper purses and pouches I made over on my blog!

fruit purses

See you next time!

-Crystal

blog-contributor

Check out Crystal’s blog here.  Her darling shop here.  Follow her on Instagram here.  And her Pinterest page here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Accessory, Children, Gift Ideas, Guest Contributor Crystal, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

69 Responses to “Pineapple Drawstring Backpack”
    Em says:

Super cute and really well explained instructions, thank you!

Sarah Martina says:

Cutest thing I’ve seen all year! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Sandy says:

Thank you for this pattern. I have 2 little grand-girls (9 and 7) that this backpack is just perfect for them and will help my Daughter-in Law get ready for all the after school activities their have. And the cloths and things that they need to bring.

Anita says:

This is a must-make !
    Best drawstring bag i’ve seen so far.
    Also like the fruit purses.
    Thank you for contributing!

Amanda Renea says:

THIS. IS. AWESOME! I have been needing to make myself a new drawstring bag for work, and I think I just found my inspiration! I can just imagine all the comments I would get for bringing something like this! I’m off to find fabric soon!

Sara says:

Seriously the cutest thing I have seen in a looooong time. I can’t wait to make it. Plus, I just bought fabric almost identical to yours at Wallyworld.

Now this is one detailed diy project and a great idea.. never thought to turn a fruit into a backpack ;D guess now I have a job for the weekend :)

Ellzabelle says:

Amazing!! My daughter will love this for the pool. Will do a waterproof liner for sure. So cute and creative!!! Thanks.

Heather says:

So cute! This bag is perfect for my girls (2 and 4) on our trip to Hawaii. I can’t wait to get sewing. I already bought the fabric.

Crystal says:

Oh, pineapple bags will be so perfect for Hawaii!!

Jennifer says:

hi! Are you selling this? I would love to buy one if so! Please consider selling them on etsy.

Crystal says:

I am not currently selling them. I may consider selling them in the future, I just don’t have the time to sew them to sell right now.

sapna says:

nice detailed instructions. love it. Thanks

Bonnie says:

What an adorable backpack and excellent tutorial! I would love for you to link up at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at behindtheseamssewing.com.
    ~Bonnie

Judy says:

This bag is so cute! Thanks!

LYdia says:

Trabalho muito bem feito e explicado com detalhes! Parabéns.

Kelly says:

Absolutely adorable!! I can’t believe no one has asked, so I will – what fabric is that – the yellow one of course!

rachida says:

J’aime beaucoup!!! Et les instruction sont très claire. Merci.

June K says:

OMG, this is the cutest backpack ever. TFS.

Bernadette says:

i never really understood how to sew the lining until now! your instructions are precise and easy to understand :) thank you for sharing this, cheers!

Belle Chiew says:

Love it, thank you so much. The pics itself were well explained, and easily understood.
    Thank you for putting in so much effort into publishing this cute tutorial.

Wonderful blog! I found itt while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do youu have any suggestions on how to get listed iin Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I neveer seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

we prefer to honor a lot of other web sites on the net, even if they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages really worth checking out

Katie says:

I was wondering if a sturdy felt could be subbed in for the green material and the interfacing for the leave portion of this adorable bag? I am attempting to make 25 of these for our entire Girl Scout troop, and I was trying to think of ways to simplify and cut costs a bit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This is absolutely the cutest little backpack I’ve ever seen!! Seriously, absolutely the best!! :)

Michal Aharon says:

Hey! I did it and it looks great! Thank you! You can see it in my Instagram https://instagram.com/p/BEX9NvXnnTV/
    :))

Caroline says:

What a fun project and easy to follow tutorial. I’m going to modify it to make mermaid tail backpacks for my granddaughters. Thanks so much!

Kim Fahrni says:

Such a cute bag!!! I love it. I do have a question …. When you are sewing the leaves, when do you do the zig zag stitch? Do you do this on the ink line? Am I just missing that part of the instructions? Thanks!

Kim Fahrni says:

Lol..just figured out what you were saying…zig zag CUT not stitch… Shouldn’t read until coffee take effect. Still…thanks for the great pattern!! ;-)

Kara Smith says:

Crystal, you have just won the Internets with your genius. I owe you chocolate, girl!

Google says:

Here are some of the web-sites we suggest for our visitors.

The data talked about in the post are a number of the top readily available

aquatic fish says:

the time to read or pay a visit to the material or sites we have linked to beneath the

options says:

usually posts some pretty intriguing stuff like this. If you are new to this site

Andrea says:

I just saw this and love it!! Do you have any similar patterns for a boy? This would be great for my niece, but I need another for her brother. Thanks!

please go to the sites we comply with, including this one particular, as it represents our picks in the web

home décor says:

Here is a great Weblog You might Come across Fascinating that we Encourage You

Mary says:

I love this bag and must make a few…is there actually a printable version for the directions? I like to read along as I sew.
    I have the pineapple fabric in my fabric pile, even as we speak. So excited to get started!

homegoods says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated information, nonetheless truly really worth taking a search, whoa did 1 find out about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time

usually posts some very interesting stuff like this. If you are new to this site

Google says:

That could be the end of this report. Here you will obtain some sites that we consider you will value, just click the links.

the time to read or visit the content or websites we’ve linked to below the

Google says:

The details mentioned in the write-up are several of the most beneficial out there.

Tanja says:

so cute!!! well done!

that is the end of this post. Here youll discover some websites that we consider youll appreciate, just click the links over

Sac kraft says:

very handful of sites that transpire to be in depth beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly nicely really worth checking out

Google says:

The time to read or go to the content or sites we have linked to below.

Google says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated information, nevertheless really worth taking a appear, whoa did one particular study about Mid East has got a lot more problerms as well.

Michelle says:

I have made the two bags (outside and inside) now for the leaves ….do you have a video? This will be my 4th try and I am burning time, money and gas trying to finish this project. Would you please post a video or one that is similar that I could use. The written instructions I dont get. Im in tears…..
    Thanks.

Used cars says:

Here is a great Weblog You might Discover Fascinating that we Encourage You

Google says:

Below you will uncover the link to some sites that we consider you’ll want to visit.