DIY Fabric Chapstick Holder

Let’s talk chapstick today.

Are your lips addicted?  Mine are.  Like, I canNOT fall asleep without chapstick on.  Those dry little lips of mine bug me.  And licking them doesn’t help.  In fact, that makes them worse.  And I don’t like working out with dry lips either.  In fact, I use chapstick many times throughout the day.  And I know, I know…..the more I use it, the more dependent I am.  It’s okay, I know there are others out there like me, also helping to support the chapstick makers of the world. :)

However, those little tubes of lube, are sneaky little suckers.  They always tend to slip down into the cavernous compartments of your purse.  And fall out of pockets into couch cushions.  Or somehow get lost from backpacks.  I swear there’s a little colony of barely used chapstick tubes somewhere, that snuck away LONG before their contents were applied to dry lips.  Grrrrrrr.

Let me show you a fun solution to this.  But not only fun……really QUICK!  As in, maybe 20 minutes.  And that’s only because you need to slow down and use the iron here and there. ;)

DIY Fabric Chapstick Holder....attach to purses, backpacks, keychains, etc. | via Make It and Love It

Those little chapstick tubes of yours now have a snug place to reside — ready for use!

The holders are created with a key ring so that they can be attached to purse hardware or zipper pulls and hang outside……OR, keep them hidden from unwanted users (i.e. children, or friends with germs…ha!) and hang them from any hardware inside your bags.

And just think of all the places you could stash these, so that you always have your chapstick handy.

And if you love a fun little DIY project that you can have on hand to give as gifts (along with a fun set of new chapstick)……this is perfect!

Ready to get sewing???

Great!

Supplies:

***These instructions and measurements are to fit a standard tube of chapstick.

Okay, let’s get going!

First, cut your fabric into a 15 inches x 2 1/4 inch strip.  Cut a piece of fusible adhesive the same size.

IMG_3520

Iron the interfacing onto the WRONG side of your fabric strip.

IMG_3526

Then, fold your strip in half width-wise with RIGHT sides together, matching up the ends evenly.  Then sew along the two long sides, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Don’t sew along either of the two short ends.

IMG_3543

Turn this tube of fabric right-side out through the opening at the one end.  Iron flat.  Then zig zag the open end closed.

IMG_3547

Then, fold the zig-zag end down 1 1/4 inches.  Sew in place with two different seams….one using a 1/2 inch seam allowance (from the fold) and the other at 5/8 inch allowance.

IMG_3576.1

This is what it looks like from the other side.

IMG_3583

Now, fold this folded/sewn end over 2 1/2 inches onto itself (and be sure the zig-zag side is hidden on the inside) and iron it in place.  Then sew a double seam around all the edges of the holder, except for the folded end.  The seam closest to the edge is 1/8 inch and the seam in from that is 1/4 inch.

IMG_3589

Now, grab your 1 1/4 inch key fob hardware.

IMG_3603

And sandwich the hardware around the top end of the holder (the non-folded end) and center it along the top of the fabric.  Then hammer the hardware flat, squeezing the fabric between the metal.  (UPDATE: a reader also mentioned using pliers to squeeze it shut, with fabric between the pliers and the metal, as not to scratch it. Great idea!)

IMG_3615

Attach your key ring.

IMG_3631

And that’s it.  So easy……that you should probably make multiples!!!!

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Accessory, Gift Ideas

Comments

49 Responses to “DIY Fabric Chapstick Holder”
    Patricia says:

Did you mean sew right sides together in the 3rd. Step.

Kristina Noall says:

Perfect for a visiting teaching gift! I wonder if I could find hardware that was more easily detachable… If you’re a chapstick fan, you MUST ditch the ChapStick brand and try Burt’s Bees. You’ll never go back. ;)

That’s what my husband loves and uses but the type he uses has too much of that mentholatum stuff in it. I don’t like that cold sensation…but he loves it. I’ll have to see if there’s another variety and give it a try. THX! :)

• 3.1.1
        Wrella says:

Burt’s Bees has several flavors. I recommend the Pomegranate highly. It’s moisturizing, smells great, leaves a very little pink sheen to my lips and I use much less of it than I did Chapstick.

Oh, yes, this would be much easier if you were moving the holder from bag to bag. Thanks for sharing the link….that would be perfect!

Kimberly says:

Great idea! I love the bag too! Where did you get it from?

Maïlys says:

I soooo love the things you make!
    If my mum’s looking for me, I’ll be in my bedroom whipping up a bunch of these for my dry-lipped friends!

Thank you so much, for all the things you teach us to make, and all the beautiful/pretty/sweet/etc things you share with us!

CharlotteB says:

This is a great tutorial! I have been looking for one with measurements for a while but could never find one. Was wingin it and that just wasn’t cuttin it lol! Thanks for posting this!

Jeannie says:

I’m going to make a one for my granddaughter and myself! I’m not a fan of split key rings, so I am going to try a button hole at the top and put a small carabiner hook on it to hook to our purse and backpack. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Nicole says:

This is such a great idea and they are adorable! My daughter is always losing her chapstick so I need to get on this one! I am new to blogging and just feel like I have hit the jackpot this morning with all the creative and inspiring blogs (like yours) I have found. I’m having a hard time tearing myself away from the computer to get the day started!

Oh yes, so is my daughter. Ack!!!

And oh great, so glad you found this site and have found some things you like! Have fun whipping a few things up! :)

KathE says:

Such a great Idea!! They may also be handy for USB/zip drives. I agree with the person who commented to ditch ChapStick. There are articles out there that prove that ChapStick makes your lips worse and you are actually addicted to it (as in, needing it more and more). There are many other brands out there, Burts Bees being one of the best, I agree!!!

Okay, that’s it…..I’m going to have to give Burt’s Bees another try. I just don’t like the mentholatum feeling….but I’ll look! I’m a sucker for a good chaptstick brand! :)

Oh, and USB drive — another great use!

Thanks KathE!
      -Ashley

Helena says:

I was hooked on the Mentholatum brand lip stuff for like 20 years. I tried Burt’s Bees and didn’t like it either so I decided to make my own with beeswax (my husband is a beekeeper, so I use ours), coconut oil, and cocoa butter. You can add other stuff and essential oils, (there are tutorials and recipes online that I played around with until I found what I liked). I love this stuff. I use it so much less that the store bought stuff, and it’s way better.

Love the tutorial and I will have to make some to put my lip balm in when I give it to my friends.

Michelle says:

I made one tonight (without the hardware as it’s still on order). It turned out great! I’ve been wanting to make a lanyard for my keyfob for work. I think the same principles would apply with just a few adjustments, don’t you think? Thanks so much for sharing!

I know this is a “make it” site but is there anywhere that I could “buy” some of these? They are too cute and I know so many people I could give them to. I cannot sew, even super easy stuff.

Judi Johnson says:

Thank you I thought I was the only one addicted to lip balm. I haven’t even mentioned it to my Dr. afraid he would put me in re-hab. I love this idea and am going to go through my fabric and start working on future Christmas gifts. Great idea! Thank you

Brea says:

I’m having a baby in the next week or two and these will make the perfect gift for the nurses! Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

These are gorgeous, what a wonderful idea! Great stocking stuffer or favors for a girls night out.
    Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer says:

Am I the only one confused with the zig zag part…is the zig zag visible when completed? For some reason I am not “seeing” something here and I am all ready to cut and sew a bunch of these today!

Hey Jennifer, I re-worded that step just a bit….to see if that would help. So take a look back at those pictures and read those words again while looking at the photos……..but no, the zig-zag will be hidden on the inside. Hope the edit helps!! :)

Kristen says:

I love this idea. I would suggest using a needle nose pliers to close the attachment, I make key fob wristlets .. I cover the clasp in a soft towel or t-shirt then use the pliers to close. I think the hammer would damage the clasp, or make scratches anyway. Thanks for posting!

Julie M. says:

Great idea! I’m making these for my kids’ Sunday School teachers as gifts! :) I love the fabric you used–where did you find the floral fabric in the photos?

KH says:

What do you mean by zig-zag? I’m relatively new to all things sewing related and am a little confused by the zig zag part – is that a stitch?

Lacey says:

Those are so cute! But they kinda remind me of a tampon package, especially the one in the photo with the grey purse.

Lisa says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made these along with matching tissue covers to give to friends.

Jann says:

oh my gosh! LOVE this!! I just need a print button!! I’m old and need the written pattern. Yes, dumb, but that’s me lol Awesome idea!!

Lisa says:

What weight of fusible interfacing did you use? I’m trying to choose between medium and extra firm.

Lynda says:

Fabulous! My daughter constantly has me buying new lip salves for her. I found exactly the same key fob hardware on the UK site of Amazon so she will now be making her own little pockets and presents for friends!

awesome

Tammy says:

OMG! I LOVE this idea! I have a friend who just gave me a TON of upholstery fabric sample books and I foresee lots of chapstick holders in my future. Thank you for this idea/tutorial!! AMAZING!

Lill Hale says:

If the fob part is hit too hard, too close to the U bar, it will break off…broke 2 before I got the hang of it…they are not as sturdy as they seem…

andrea says:

im anxious to make these thanks a million

Larita says:

I’m going to make the fabric pieces a bit longer & make a pen holder. I’m a teacher and I’m always needing a handy pen to write notes & whatnot.

Patrice Krant says:

Hi Ashley: I tried to send you an email on your “Contact” page, but the “Captcha” feature is not working – it will not give me a code word to enter. Anyway, our Kenai Peninsula (Alaska) quilt guild has an afternoon “make it & take it” session at our fall meeting each year at the beginning of October. Each of the 3 communities that make up our guild presents one small item that would make a good holiday gift and that can be made in an hour or less. I love the Chapstick holder on the key ring and would like to demonstrate and teach the 60 or so women in my guild how to make it. May I have your permission to use your instructions for the Chapstick holder? Thank you.

Alicia says:

Hi – I like the chapstick holder tutorial, and thank you for the tutorial. But was wondering which key fob sets you bought. When I click the link, it shows 50 sets on Amazon by Cottage Brook, and another set of 25 from another company. Which ones did you buy an use? Thank you