No-Sew Zipper Cases…from old SODA (or water) BOTTLES!

I’ve been organizing several rooms in our house lately, boxing up out-grown clothing, donating un-loved toys, and throwing away stashed garbage and crumpled art projects.  My kids are hoarders.  Especially the older two (cough-elliandconnor-cough).  But it’s not completely their fault. They’re kids and need to be taught…and that’s partly my fault.  So, I have sat with each of them and together we’ve made a pile of things they want to keep, another pile of things they are willing to donate, and a 3rd pile of things they have outgrown and would like to save for a younger sibling.  Done, done, and done.  Luckily, Oliver doesn’t speak yet, so he doesn’t care what I keep or get rid of. ;)

And coincidentally, this month’s challenge as part of the Michaels Makers team, was to get a little more organized this year and tackle something that I’ve been putting off.  Yep, going through drawers and closet corners is something I have definitely been avoiding.  As we were de-junking, I realized their craft supplies are unruly.  And make me want to pull my hair out.  Crayons and markers come in little boxes….but they always seem to get crumpled, bent, and fall apart.  Yep, useless.

So, I put together a few Zipper Cases for all their supplies — made from some old soda bottles, a few zippers, and some hot glue.  Seriously, easy as that! :)

No-Sew Zipper Cases...from old SODA (or water) BOTTLES! |via Make It and Love It

After making 3 of these Zipper Cases, I realized I need to drink a few more bottles of water, soda, juice, or whatever….because these things are PERFECT!  They are sturdy little cases, made from a few bottles that would have ended up in the trash. :)

Elli has a bunch of those Rainbow Loom rubber bands that need a home too… I’ll be making another one for those.  Plus, she has beads, paper clips, and all sorts of tiny little supplies that need a home.  But I could see Connor loving these for his special Lego sets.  Wouldn’t that be perfect to keep them separate?  (Or is my kid the only one that likes to keep each of the specialty sets absolutely separate???)

Each of the cases use the bottom from 2 plastic bottles.  They are attached together with one zipper, making it nice and simple for little hands to access whatever is inside.

Chloe got right to work testing out each of the cases.  She thinks it’s pretty cool that I was letting her use Elli’s colored pencils —-shhhh, don’t tell! ;)

Such a perfect storage solution for so many things.  And a sure fire way to conquer the clutter!

Ready to make your own?

SUPPLIES (for one zipper case):

• 2 water bottles (the same size and brand)
  • 1 zipper (long enough to fit around the circumference of your bottle)
  • Hot Glue
  • heavy duty scissors

Begin by cutting the tops off each of your bottles.  Decide how long you want your case to be and cut down your bottles to appropriate size.  (Keep in mind, if you are creating a case for longer items like pencils or markers, you want to have bottle longer and the other short.  That way, the pencils can fit mostly down inside the longer end of the case and the shorter end will fit over the top of the pencils.)

Next, be sure that your zipper fits around the bottle, with a slight overlap at one end.  (If your zipper is too long…cut some of the zipper length from the two free ends, not the end with the zipper stop.)

If you have enough of an overlap, glue the ends under as much or as little as necessary.

Now, begin gluing one side of the zipper down to the INSIDE of the bottle, with the correct side of the zipper facing OUTWARD.  Be sure the zipper track is about 1/8 of an inch away from the bottle, so that the zipper pull can function freely, without running into the edge of the bottle.

Continue gluing the zipper around the inner lip of the bottle edge, making sure you aren’t getting any glue onto the tracks of the zipper.

Once you reach the end, overlap the ends of the zipper fabric onto the other end of the zipper, and glue in place.

Now, begin gluing the other side of the zipper to the other plastic bottle.  Start with the free zipper end and be sure that your bottle is positioned correctly.

Continue gluing until the other half of the zipper is completely attached.

Insert your supplies……and that’s it!

All nice and organized!

For other organizational inspiration, check out these other ideas:

Loading InLinkz ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Gift Ideas, Kid Craft, Miscellaneous, No Sew

38 Responses to “No-Sew Zipper Cases…from old SODA (or water) BOTTLES!”
    Robin says:

This is easy enough. Such a great way to store supplies. Now to get some fun colored zippers.

Jumi says:

This is awesome. I am all about recycling and reusing. This is very practical and fun at the same time. I love your blog and projects. No Sew Love has a prominent spot on our DIY bookcase

Cheri D says:

This is awesome! I love it and plan to do it for some of my son’s stuff that sits around on his dresser. You can use them for so many different collections. Thanks for your post.

Cindy says:

You are brilliant!!! So awesome!!

Joanna WG says:

Wow, that is a super clever idea! A great way to upcycle and reuse as well.
    My husband and I have way too many crafts and art supplies and this would set us up well.

All I need are some zippers……

Sharon says:

Do you think the 2 liter bottles would be too big for this as the larger the bottle the flimsier the container? I use the containers frosting comes in and it will hold 48 crayons! A nice use for something you already throw away! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa says:

Um, genius. Again. How do you do it? My husband keeps telling me I should start a craft blog with all the things I make but I have to keep telling him, “They are all from Ashley at MakeitandLoveit. I don’t have my own ideas and don’t need them because Ashley’s are always so much better!” Keep them coming.

Tomorrah says:

LOVE this idea…the perfect upcycle! Plus this is a great on the go case to throw into my purse/diaper bag. My only questions is how long will the hot glue hold up on the plastic. It seems like hot glue and plastic only stay friends temporarily.

Cucicucicoo says:

I’ve seen pictures of this idea floating around internet, but never a good tute on how to do it. It’s so easy! Thanks! :) Lisa

Ruth H says:

Be still my heart. I LOVE this idea! My kids are hoarders too and it drives me nuts. At least you sit down with them and get their permission to let go of stuff. I’m too afraid to do that. Afraid they’ll want to keep everything. I’m not big into buying bottled drinks, so I’ll have to figure something out. Maybe ask friends/neighbors for their old ones.

gina says:

This is awesome!!!! Off to find pretty colored zippers!!!

Denise says:

Really cute idea, and these take up a whole lot less space than having drawers full of crayons, map colors and markers. ;)

Pat says:

Knitters should love this ! Could make storage cases for needles of all different sizes. Can hardly wait to try it – but will have to find the bottles. ( We don’t drink soda or bottled water.)

Bharati says:

This is the brilliant idea!!

Heather says:

I can’t overstate how brilliant I think this is, and so GREEN! Love it.

Mary S. says:

SUPER Cute! I like how you can see what is inside the case. Might have to get friends and family to save bottles for me so I can make these.

Sherrie says:

NOW I have a great storage case for all my knitting needles! Great idea, thank you!

So practical and cute! Great idea :)

Kristina Calkins says:

I love this idea. How long does the hot glue hold up?

Emily says:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. My 9yo Girl Scout has to “run and operate” a business booth annually on things that she makes, and this would be a great thing to make and “sell” to her sister scouts.

susan says:

Great idea. Could use colorful duct tape to attach zippers to outside of bottles if hot glue doesn’t hold or if you don’t have a glue gun.

nancy says:

what an adorable idea! it is such a great way to store stuff
    I’m lovin’ it….. ;)

Renee says:

Thanks for this idea, Ashley, I’m definitely going to do this for my granddaughters!

THIS without a doubt is one of the GREATEST DIY sites EVER !!!!! I just found you guys….I just LOVE it is all I can say….Will be visiting often….

This is a WONDERFUL site !!!!

michele says:

Does the Hot Glue hold up? It seems like it wouldn’t. Maybe E6000??

Chez says:

Hi , what type or watt glue gun do you use please ?

Auntiepatch says:

My son kept his Lego’s sets separated. When he moved out, and asked me to keep them for him, I dumped them all into one large bin. I’m glad my son wasn’t the only kid who did that!

Shirley Clark says:

Can someone tell me what brand of bottles to use? I used the Dasani, and the hot glue melts them. I’m really disappointed as I was so excited about this project.

Rachel says:

I tried these today. I am sad that my glue is not holding up. I tried a combo of E6000 after the hot glue came off and it isn’t holding up either. Any suggestions?

Cherie says:

The hot glue melted my bottle

Cathy M T says:

Great idea, would be perfect for an Earth Day activity, especially if you saved zippers from clothing that was being discarded because it was too worn out to wear anymore.

Kathy says: