Bow Tie Drool Bibs…for BOYS! (from a Men’s shirt)

Bow Tie Drool Bibs…for BOYS! (from a Men’s shirt)

The day my kids go back to school after winter break is when the New Year officially starts for me.  Because while they’re still home, I’m still in vacation mode.  The routine is off, everyone stays up later, we play a little harder, watch more movies, eat more treats, and everyone sleeps in a little later (hallelujah!).

But today is the day that the kiddos start back to school.  So, 2015 starts TODAY for me.  Happy official New Year, friends!! :)

And what’s a new year without a few goals?!  I haven’t written anything down but I have a few things I’ve been stewing over and trying to improve from last year.  Okay wait, let’s be real…..I’m still trying to work on 2014’s goals.  And 2013’s, for that matter.  Baby steps, though, right? ;)

Anyway, one of my short term goals is to finish the pile of half-finished projects that I have sitting in my craft room.  There are several of them that I was really wanting to finish before Christmas.  But well, a tornado hit my house in December (a figurative one) and I’m still trying to figure out where that whole month went.

So, the first unfinished project that I rescued from the debris of my craft room??  Little DROOL BIBS for Oliver.  Because this baby of ours has a leaky faucet for a mouth!

DIY Bow Tie Drool Bib...for BOYS! (from a Men's shirt) | via Make It and Love It

These bibs are made from old button-up shirts of Steve’s that I have hoarded over the years (for who-knows-when-I’ll-need-them occasions such as this).  And rather than covering up a cute baby outfit — these pretty much MAKE the outfit!

If you have a drooler, then you know the aggravation of which I speak.  A soaking wet shirt, spits marks on everything, rashy skin beneath the wet clothing, etc.

And just to help prove my point, Oliver started drooling right on cue.  (Ha.  I love this squishy little boy……even if he is a drool ball!)

And because I knew one new bib wasn’t going to cut it, I made 3.  All with different little bow ties!

Go on buddy….drool all you want!

For the closure, I added a very simple snap, but you could easily attach Velcro if you prefer.

The front of each bib is cut from a button-up shirt and a bit of scrap fabric for the bow tie, just because it’s cute.  But the back has a layer of absorbent terry cloth, to help up soak up the drool.  Cute AND functional!

So the entire thing is soft and comfy…perfect for baby skin!

Oh, and don’t worry about those little bow ties — they are securely sewn to the bib, around all the edges.  So they’re not going anywhere. :)

Okay, so for those of you who think there aren’t many cute little accessories for baby boys (don’t worry…I agree) — this one’s for you!  Even if your little guy (or someone you want to make this for) doesn’t drool much, you’re going to need to make one (or more) of these anyway…because holy smokes, they’re just too cute! :)

***In case you’re wondering, YES, I do munch on this little kid All. Day. Long.  How could I not?!!

asdf

Okay, let’s get started and gather a few things!

Supplies:

Print out your bib pattern piece and use to trace around your fabric that is folded in half (as directed on the pattern piece).  OR, trace the bib pattern onto a full sheet of paper to create a full bib pattern piece.

Then place your pattern piece on top of your shirt fabric and center it down the front of the shirt.  Cut around your pattern piece.

IMG_0007

***I actually sewed the opening of the shirt closed first, just to be sure that the button placket never opened.

Repeat with your terry cloth fabric.  (However, I found out later on that it’s actually better if you cut the terry cloth piece about 1/2 inch larger around all edges because terry cloth is a looser weave and it tends to unravel.  So adding more fabric around all the edges will make things easier when turning right side out and manipulating the fabric.)

IMG_1198

Now, place your shirt piece and your terry cloth piece together, with right sides together, and sew together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance around the shirt fabric edges.  However, leave about a 3-4 inch opening along one side for turning your bib right side out.

IMG_1210

Turn the bib right side out through the opening.

IMG_1213

Then tuck the opening towards the inside 1/4 inch, pin in place, and then iron the entire bib flat.  Then top-stitch around the entire bib, about 1/8 of an inch from the edges.

IMG_1215

IMG_1216

***And at this stage, it’s also recommended to be sure your buttons are securely attached….and to add several more tight stitches if needed.  Baby clothing does have buttons on it so there’s no need to remove them, but it’s always a good idea to make sure they are very securely attached!

Next, cut 2 Bow Tie pieces and 2 Bow Tie Center pieces from your fabric.

IMG_1202

Place them together with their corresponding pieces, with right sides together, and sew all the way around both, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

IMG_1217

Then trim off the corners of both pieces.  (more info on cutting corners and curves here)

IMG_1220

Then, make a slit along the back layer of fabric (making sure to not cut through the front layer of fabric)…

IMG_1226

…and then turn each shape right side out through the slit you made.  Poke out the corners with a pencil or another similar object.

IMG_1228

Then iron each one flat.

IMG_1241

Now, place the Bow Tie shape onto the bib (with the slit facing down) and sew around the entire shape.  Then, place the Bow Tie Center piece on top and sew around that as well.  (Sorry, I forgot a picture of the center piece sewn in place.)

IMG_1243

Lastly, add your snap pieces to the ends of your bib.  (How to attach snaps HERE)

IMG_1252

And that’s it!  A super cute Bow Tie bib……ready to place around your little drooler’s neck!!

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . .

Need a few more Baby Boy project ideas??

Take a peek at this darling Faux Vest Onesie…with Interchangeable Bowties

faux-vest-onesie-with-interchangeable-bowties-2

Or how about this Little Guy Neck Tie pattern…..so cute in a variety of colors!

little-boy-neck-tie-PDF-pattern-3

Or maybe you know of someone with a small baby who would enjoy using these light and breathable DIY Gauze Swaddle Blankets

DIY-Gauze-Swaddle-Blanket-for-baby-3

Bow Tie Drool Bibs…for BOYS! (from a Men’s shirt)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Baby, Clothing, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

81 Responses to “Bow Tie Drool Bibs…for BOYS! (from a Men’s shirt)”
    sarah o says:

you always have the cutest ideas! these are adorable!

What a cute idea! I may have to make a couple of these for the little droolers in our family! Your tutorial is very informative and your pictures are adorable…..your little drooler is so cute! Thanks for sharing this clever bib idea!
    Enjoy your Creative Day! ~ Vickie

Lorena says:

This post made my morning. It’s so good to know that the tornado hits more homes than we know, I get a tornado every weekend and am always doing rescue missions on Sunday. How am I ever supposed to get to crafting!?
    So I have some really really nice shirts that my husband was ready to part with. He had them for years, the collars were “done” if you know what I mean, but the fabric is near pristine and of high quality so I kept them for a project just like this. I am excited to use that center front of the shirt with buttons that would most likely have been discarded. and now to make some nice pillows with the rest? or an apron? Hey, how about a post on using/ recycling a complete mans button down long sleeve shirt? What on earth can we do with the sleeves?

Oh, hahaha, so glad you can relate!

And yes, sounds like you keep old things for the same reason I do — you just never know!

Thanks and good luck! :)

Jean says:

I’ve seen the sleeves used as a gift bag for taking a bottle of wine someplace. I am sure there is something on pinterest.

Darlene says:

What a wonderful project. A have a grandson that would look so adorable in a bow tie bib. I am pinning for later. Thanks so much for sharing. Best wishes, Darlene

Stacey says:

So cute! I love making bibs and I love that this version repurposes shirts!

Absolutely adorably wonderful! It looks like a bib disguised as part of the outfit- perfect and clever!

Aunt Jeri says:

Gosh, that Oliver just gets cuter and cuter!

Susan M. says:

I just ran out to my car and removed two shirts from the Goodwill bag – these are perfect for my 10-mo. old grandson. I’m thinking about adding the tie to the shirt before sewing front to back… or do you think it needs to be sewn through both layers as you did in order to add dimension to the tie?

BTW, your Little Man is SO STINKIN’ CUTE!!!!

Ha……whew, just in time!

As for sewing the bow tie on first, I originally was going to do the same. But then I really wanted to make sure I placed the bow tie right where I wanted it, without having to just imagine that the seam allowances were gone. And then I realized that since the terry cloth is so fuzzy and thick, you can’t really even see the seams on the back side. Plus, it helps keep the layers together and from bubbling open when washing/drying.

And thanks……he keeps us all smiling! :)

Deborah M. says:

I just love your ideas! Even though all my grandchildren are out of the drooling stage, I still have friends with grandchildren on the way, so I come here for your fantastic ideas. And, I just love your children as models. They are all precious!

Aimee says:

i just have to post this.

So I saw your new post and the top of the picture showed and I said …Oh those are cute, but my boys are long past needing them.

And I kept scrolling down and saw Oliver’s cute self wearing one and I changed to “I have to make that and find some baby to give it to!”

He is a cutie!

Kate Kennedy says:

These would be cute for babies of any gender!

Sandi says:

you have a real cutie there. we just had our first great grandson and i can’t wait until morning so i can get started on a few of these for him. keep finding cute things for boys. there just aren’t enough.

Emmanuelle says:

This is a really cute idea! And it’s for boys! ;-)
    Baby Oliver is so cute, and I love the way your kids resemble each other, I am always amazed when I see them.

Anne says:

Oh my goodness, these are so cute! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later this morning that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

Jenny says:

Too cute!

Paulette says:

Oh how adorable this is!! you are brilliant! Oliver sure looks handsome with his bow tie!

xoxo,
    Paulette

sophianora says:

awesome!!!! fantastic idea…

Sarah says:

OMG! These are the cutest bibs I’ve ever seen.

Jilly B says:

These are so adorable! I’m kind of a novice when it comes to sewing but I keep trying and would love to try this project!

Servane says:

Hello.
    here is my version : http://apointsfermes.eklablog.com/bavoir-chic-pour-baveur-de-choc-a114284886
    I have draw the pattern like a bib of my son and sew the bow before sewing the towel for the back.
    You can sew all around and open the button to return it.
    Thanks for the idea…

Pris Phillips says:

Absolutely adorable!! My daughter is expecting our first grandchild in May… and she found your blog and forwarded it to me! (Can you say Major Big Hint?!!)

LILI says:

too cute!! the buttons give a good idea of how big we should make the bib! love it!

Betty Jacques says:

These are so cute but is there a reason not to use the upper button and button hole to fasten, instead of adding a snap? It seems like this would simplify it. Also some lace around the edges would be cute for little girls. Thanks for the posting.

Elizabeth says:

These are so cute! I just made one for my cousin. It turned out, but I was wondering how big the hole should be when the bib is snapped. It just looks a little small to me, but maybe not. It’s hard to tell from the picture.

Very cute bibs, going to try to make a couple for bibs for my grandson, And your baby is beautiful!

Shannen says:

I have found that if you use a zigzag stich when sewing with terry cloth you won’t run into the unravelling problem as often.

Kathy says:

I love the bibs! They are so cute and the bow tie is so original. I’m using the bow tie on a toddler bib I am making, rather than a drool bib. It’s just such a great idea!

Loya says:

How many bibs can be made out of one shirt?

Mary O'Sullivan says:

The bibs are cute! BUT shirt buttons are a bit of a choking hazard!!! At the very last, your instructions should advise people to sew over the buttons again very firmly, before proceeding with the pattern. Better safe than sorry!

Yes, adding a few stitches to the buttons is a great suggestion. Baby clothing is sold with buttons on it and I have never had an issue having buttons on my children’s clothing….but yes, tightening them down and making sure they are secure is definitely recommended. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Ashley

Jodi Wolff says:

I love this idea but I am also a bit scared about the buttons. I might suggest as another person did sew over the buttons again to insure they are firm or to possibly do tie vs. bow tie and remove them from the shirt altogether to prevent a chocking hazard!!
    Your Model is adorable.

Yes, adding a few stitches to the buttons is a great suggestion. Baby clothing is sold with buttons on it and I have never had an issue having buttons on my children’s clothing….but yes, tightening them down and making sure they are secure is definitely recommended. Or creating a tie would be cute too! Thanks for the suggestion!

-Ashley

Adorable! Cutsy, yet very boyish!

Adorable!! Love these SOOOO much! Can’t wait to make these for friends kiddos; my teens are too big:)
    xo

Cindy T says:

So cute! heading to the Goodwill to find shirts! I’m going to try putting magnets instead of snaps. My daughter received baby clothes with them and they are so easy to close. And you can find purses at the thrift store with them to use!

Sue Lawson says:

I’m with the other ‘posters’. Just too gorgeously cute to miss making. I’m off to raid the hubby’s wardrobe. Now where can I find a drooling baby boy …

Elizabeth Swoope says:

Those are really cute, but the buttons are a no-no. Doesn’t matter that baby clothes sometimes have them, that doesn’t make them safe. It would be better to applique fabric “buttons” on, maybe use dots from polka dotted fabric to make them, or embroider them. The tie idea Jodi suggested is great, too.

Joyce Ansell says:

These are adorable! My daughter is having a boy in August, and a shower in June. I plan to make a few of these for her little guy! So excited, a trip to Goodwill is in my future!

Kathy says:

I used your wonderfully creative idea and made a full size bib for my 15 month old grandson.
    You can see it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kajero52/16872905729/

Robyn says:

Great idea! How did you cut the shirt so that there is no placket on the end of the bib that goes around the neck? As far as I can work out, this end curls around to be in line with the centre of the bib (which is in the centre of the shirt placket), but in the photos there is no placket on th end??

Robyn says:

There’s no need to reply to my earlier comment- I realised that the bib ends fit UNDER the placket to cut out!

Pamela says:

Instead of leaving a gap to turn the bib right side out, couldn’t you just undo the buttons and turn it and then do them up again?

Pamela says:

Actually, you’d have to make sure they were undone before you sewed the bib, just pin them shut from the wrong side, stitch, remove the pins, turn the whole bib, do up the buttons and then topstitch.

I actually sewed the placket shut before even cutting out the bib shape, to be sure it was flat and didn’t shift or pucker open later on while in use. But if someone wasn’t concerned about that, this would be a great alternative. Thanks for sharing!

Pam says:

I am trying to cut out the bib pattern and incorporate two buttons. I am missing something. I can only put the bib pattern over one button and buttonhole. Did you enlarge the bib pattern? I just love this project. Thanks.

There is a measurement line on the pattern piece, so verify that you’ve printed it out at the right size. But also, all shirts are made a little differently and your buttons may be positioned a little wider. If you need to, you can just place a second button along the button placket (take it from the shirt), making it look as though there was a button there originally. Just be sure that you attach it securely…..and no one will every notice! :)

Good luck!

Emily says:

Hi, I was just wondering where you get your terry cloth and what it’s like? I use the terry cloth from Joann’s Fabrics that’s basically like towel material for my drool cloths. But I keep seeing this other kind and I like how it looks but I’m not sure what to look for when I’m shopping for it. Is it actually called terry cloth?
    Thanks!

The cloth I bought was actually just really cheap kitchen towels. Or hand towels. I think I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond but you could look at whatever store and just see what they have…..because you’ll probably see a variety of textures. I probably spent a few dollars and it came in a pack of 6. It was perfect for this!

Good luck!

star says:

this is very very nice and so cute

Gerry says:

Your precious son is absolutely adorable. The camera loves him. I have printed the pattern and am ready to sew. How old is your son in the picture? How long did this cute bib fit him? I’m trying to figure out the size. Would it fit 3 mos. to one year? Thanks for any help you can pass along. I am a fan.

Karen says:

Love this and I have a friend who had a little boy just two days ago! Definitely going to be making some of these as well as the onsie with the vest and interchangeable bow ties!

I just made one for a shower gift and it is adorable! THANK YOU for your tutorial and gorgeous pics. I Pinned it and Instagrammed it, giving you credit. Thanks again.

Cindy Biggers says:

I love this bow tie droll bib but I can not get the pattern to print out to scale. Can you offer any suggestions.
    ?

Kathy says:

Thanks for this, it is very helpful. Awesome post!

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I linked to this tutorial on my blog: http://www.sewingshop.net/blog/thursday-treasures-2-theme-bows/
    These bibs are adorable!

amy h says:

hi totally new to sewing and just trying a few simple new projects. This is my next adventure, just wondering if the size can be adjusted for ages?? what age is this appropriate for??

thanks muchly xx

Nancy moore says:

So cute and very easy to follow . Thank you !
    My question…….how much would you suggest charging for one.? Thanks for your reply!
    Nancy

Kenya says:

I just found this tut! So stinking cute! I’ve made my first one last night. I bought 14 very HIGH quality mens shirts from Salvation Army for $20. Gotta love their 50% off sale on Wednesdays!

How can this bow tie be made more feminine for little girls? Maybe a pink shirt with a flower instead of a bow tie? Any ideas?

Ni'Asha says:

Does anybody sell them?!?!?! I just want to purchase them!

Brenda says:

What a cute idea for Drool Bibs! I make bunches of charity baby items and these are going to be just perfect for all those men’s shirts and grandma dresses i have just begging to be used. Thank You so much for sharing!
    Brenda

Cindy Bustos says:

The bibs are so cute! I can’t wait to make them! The baby boy is 💕ADORABLE💕

Anita says:

Ashley I’m like Cindy I can’t get my pattern printed to scale either Help

I’m so in love with this tutorial, I am wanting to make a few for friends and family, would it be OK that I post pictures on my Facebook page when I’m done and link the pattern back to your blog?