Swiss Potatoes……an all time family favorite!

This post was written by my foodie sister Robin, who is now sharing all of her favorite recipes and kitchen tips regularly on the new “Make It and Love It – in the KITCHEN portion of this blog. Try a few of her recipes…your belly will thank you! -Ashley

. . . . .

Hi guys…..it’s Robin again! :)

Okay, so today’s recipe isn’t overly fancy. Or one bit complicated. In fact, you can throw it together, place it in the oven, and almost forget about it. However, it is a true belly pleaser. And a great compliment to most dishes. It has been a good staple in the family for the past several years, because it’s a great bring-at-the-last-minute type of dish that will make bellies of all ages happy! And I’m telling you, there are fork fights over this stuff. The thin strips of potatoes marry so well with the creamy swiss cheese. And the crunchy crust along the top and edges, has a subtle nutty flavor. And then once you cut into the soft and creamy center……woah, watch out, instant love!

And if you’re thinking these are just those canned soup potatoes with cheese on top……nope, wrong. There’s no canned soup here.  Only a few raw ingredients. And oh my, SO much better!

You can’t really mess this one up either — unless you don’t read the recipe correctly and you pour in a whole quart of cream instead of a half cup. Ack! Yeah, that was me! And it was a puddle of sloppy potatoes. Ooops, I was rushing, and obviously not thinking!  But here’s the correct and absolutely delicious version of our family’s favorite Swiss Potatoes:

SWISS POTATOES: cheesy and creamy with perfectly crusted edges! -- Make It and Love It (in the KITCHEN)

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I agonize over what to make for a side dish. These ‘Swiss Potatoes’ are perfect for dinners at home or to bring along to a friend’s house. And just watch, once you serve them, they’ll be requested over and over again. :)

Okay, time for a really simple recipe to toss in the oven!

Shopping List:

• 1 32 oz bag frozen hash-browns
  • 1 lb shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 TBS butter

Here is what you need. Except, I forgot the milk in the picture. Oops.

IMG_8837

I don’t like dirtying up dishes if I don’t have to, so I did this all in the 9×13 dish that I baked in.

First, grate the 1-pound block of cheese and place in your baking dish.

IMG_8846

Then, add your bag (32 oz) of shredded hash browns to the dish. You may want to pound the bag on the counter to loosen the potatoes if you can feel it is one big frozen lump. Loosening the shreds before opening the bag will make it easier than having to go in and break the mounds by hand.

IMG_8849

Now, evenly distribute the 1 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 tsp of pepper and mix this around really well. Using your hands works really well to help incorporate.

IMG_9248

Once it is mixed well, spread the potatoes and cheese evenly in the dish. Now, drizzle the 1/2 cup of cream evenly over the top (no need to stir it again it will do that on its’ own during the cooking process) and do the same with the 1/4 cup milk.

IMG_9256

Divide the 2 TBS butter into little slices. (The scientist in me divided it into 15 pats to spread it out evenly.) Distribute evenly on top of your potatoes.

IMG_9275

And that’s it. See? Pretty easy!

Now, cover the baking dish with tin foil to give it a good steaming for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F.

IMG_8916

After the 45 minutes, pull off the tin foil and continue baking for 15 minutes or until brown. This browning is what adds to the flavor…….so don’t skip it! (Swiss cheese already has a great nutty flavor and browning it enhances that flavor. )

Here it is coming out of the oven. See that browned and crusty goodness?

IMG_9283

Your side dish is finished. Now, serve with some meat and a veggie — and you’re set for a delicious meal!

Enjoy!

-Robin

Filed under gluten free, Recipes, Side Dishes, Vegetables

Comments

23 Responses to “Swiss Potatoes……an all time family favorite!”
    Miss Kitty says:

Hi Robin! These look oh. so. yummy! Thanks for sharing this easy recipe with us…I want to try it soon…am pinning.

Carli says:

Robin, I’m in a freezer meal exchange with some other women and I was thinking this would be a tasty thing to make. At what point could I freeze this and make later? Should I cook the whole thing, freeze, and then just reheat? Or assemble but not cook, then freeze?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Robin says:

I would suggest the assemble but not cook option. If it is cooked, frozen, then reheated you lose a little bit in quality. When it is pulled from freezer storage, I would cook it 5 minutes longer when it is covered since everything is frozen, not just the potatoes. Have fun!

Brandi says:

These looks so delicious! Your beautiful pictures make me want to dig right in.

Michal says:

Wow that is an awesome recipe!
    So easy and so good!

Joy says:

Would these turn out using Mozzerella instead of swiss?

Robin says:

I would say it would work (no 100% guarantee). It would be a little more soft than the Swiss version, since Mozzerella has less fat and is softer. I would hold off on the salt as well since Mozzerella is generally saltier than Swiss. It would be fun to add basil to the Mozzerella version to add an Italian flair to it. Have fun and let me know how it turns out.

Karen says:

I’m thinking that browning some sliced kielbasa in a skillet and then adding to this delicious-looking dish would make it an easy main course. Thank you for this recipe!

Kristina Noall says:

Looks so easy and yummy! I’d love to know about freezing possibilities, as well.

Robin says:

~Hope says:

Oh yumm!! This is suuuuper similar to a family recipe that we use, but I am seriously wanting to try this version, too… just to mix it up. Thanks!! :D

Crystal says:

This looks great! If I wanted to use regular potatoes instead of frozen hash browns would you partially cook them before you grate them?

Sally says:

Thanks Robyn sounds yummy, I’m in Australia and we only get whole hashbrowns not shredded, would it be ok to just break up the whole ones or do you think it wouldn’t work with the cream and cheese?

cucicucicoo says:

That looks so good! Here in Italy we don’t have hashbrowns at all. Do you think that it would work the same with just shredded potatoes? Thanks! :) Lisa

Tanisha says:

Alright! I have printed the recipe and will attempt to give it a try this upcoming week! *crossing fingers*

Janet says:

Yum, this I’m going to try!

Melissa says:

I looooooove this! It’s in the regular rotation at my house now. Thanks for a great recipe.