DIY Pacifier Clips…no more dropped/lost pacifiers

I know, I’ve been a little MIA this week but my head has been other places.  Okay, more specifically, doing a few things for the release of my book next week (more about “No-Sew Love”).  Plus, we have company in town this weekend and more coming in another week.  And if you’re anything like me, when company comes into town….it’s the perfect excuse to finish those projects that are about 80% done and functional.  And have been sitting 80% complete and functional for months and months and months.  But when someone comes into town, you all of a sudden notice that other 20% that needs to be finished, and you stay up late every night for a week finishing it.  (Our banister, random painting, organizing a few overflowing closets, etc.)  Am I alone in this?  I kinda love it……because so many things suddenly become 100% complete. :)

Anyway, I have had this project done before Oliver was even born but waited to share it so I could snap a few pictures of it in use.  Because, come on, everything is cuter on a teeny tiny baby! :)

I have used Pacifier Clips with every child.  We actually call a pacifier a “binky” in our house and every child has been a “binky addict”……so having something to keep those pacifiers readily available, has saved me on hundreds of occasions.  So, before Oliver was born, I was buying a few baby supplies and reached for the Pacifier Clips and almost bought a couple.  But then, like frequently happens to me, my dang brain said “NO!”  Really loudly.  And I had to put it back.  Because, come on, I could make them myself…..and a lot cuter than what they had hanging on the Target shelves.  (Yeah, that darn brain of mine adds so many projects to my to-do list.  Ha!)

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

The construction is a really simple strip of fabric with a clip at one end and a string to attach to the pacifier, at the other end.

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

And any type of pacifier works with these…..because you just place the loop of string through any hole or handle on your pacifier, then place the clip end through the loop, and then pull.  Done.

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

I think my favorite part are the colorful circular clips that I found.  (Which are baby safe……and have passed certification testing for lead, phthalates and other harmful substances.)  The clips are nice and strong, unlike some of the plastic clips that you find attached to store-bought pacifier clips.

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

And instead of just making a few clips, I made several extras to shares with friends who are having babies. :)

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

Also, these clips can be clipped anywhere…..and I currently have one attached to Oliver’s carseat, his bouncer, and an extra in my diaper bag to attach to his shirt when we’re out and about.

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

Because, you know, those pacifiers don’t always stay in those little baby’s mouths.  So, instead of them constantly falling onto the ground (or slipping out of their mouth into the carseat, behind a couch cushion, etc.) those darn pacifiers will always be attached and easily accessible.

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

Such a quick project that can be made in so many different colors and prints…….and makes such a fun gift to give away.  So go on, make several and keep handy!

DIY Pacifier Clips...no more dropped/lost pacifiers! --- Make It and Love It

Okay, enough chatting.  Time to whip up several of these simple Pacifier Clips.

Supplies:

• Cotton Fabric, 2 1/4 x 9 inch rectangle
  • Fusible Interfacing, 2 1/4 x 9 inch rectangle (more info on interfacing here)
  • Heavy string (or 1/8 inch wide grosgrain ribbon)
  • Coordinating Thread
  • 1 inch pacifier clip (I bought a set of 15 from Amazon…but you can buy less from the supplier, Kam Snaps)

Cut a piece of cotton fabric and interfacing, both 2 1/4 x 9 inches.  Also, cut a piece of cotton string (or grosgrain ribbon), 7 inches long.

IMG_7601

Iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of your fabric.

IMG_7604

Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and sew the long edges together, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

IMG_7608

Turn the tube right side out and iron flat.  (Need help turning a tube right side out?)

IMG_7617

Tuck the raw ends of one end towards the inside of the tube, 1/2 inch.

IMG_7623

I use a straight pin to help force the edges inside…and that helps a ton. :)

IMG_7640

Fold the string in half and tie a knot, so that the loop at the one end is about 2 inches long.

IMG_7648

Tuck the ends of the string into the inside of the end of the tube that has the ends tucked inside.  Push the ends of the string in far enough so that the knot is about 1/2 an inch from the end of the tube, making the loop about 1 1/2 inches long.  Sew a narrow rectangle at the ends of the tube, securing the string in place.  (The purpose of the knot is to create something a bit bulkier to get caught in the seams, keeping it from getting pulled out with frequent use.  If you use ribbon instead of string, you probably don’t need to tie the knot.)

IMG_7656

Slide the other end of your fabric tube through your clip and fold the end over 1/2 inch and then another 1 inch.  (Like mentioned above, I bought a set of 15 clips on Amazon.  However, you can also buy less from the supplier HERE.)

IMG_7663

Sew those folds in place with a large square and then add an “X” in the middle.

IMG_7669

And that’s it…….now add your pacifier onto the string end.

DIY-Pacifier-Clips-3

…and attach to baby.

DIY-Pacifier-Clips-5

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Baby, Children, Sewing

Comments

28 Responses to “DIY Pacifier Clips…no more dropped/lost pacifiers”
    Louise says:

Great idea, glad to find a source for purchasing clips.

Amna says:

So easy and good idea. I wanna make some for my baby. He uses pacifier only when he wants to sleep. Then spits it out when he is in deep sleep.

Sophie says:

I often buy from them. Soooooooo many things!

I have difficulties sewing so close to the edge. Do you have any tip that may help?

Agreed, they have so many fun goodies!

And you know, sew slowly. Also, sometimes it’s easier if you start in the middle of a long edge, rather than a corner. That way you can hold the fabric in the front and back of the needle, using your hands to keep the needle nice and close to the edge. Then sew to the end and then turn it around and start at the middle again and sew to the other end.

Hope that helps! :)

Priscilla from CA says:

These are adorable and so’s Oliver!

Patricia says:

The clips are cute and very useful… But I really like Oliver. Give him a hug from all your fans!

Marleen says:

Such a great idea to use interfacing! That makes the pacifier clips much more durable. A different way of making them, without turning, is making the width of the fabric 4x the width of the final clip. Then fold and iron the short sides in a bit, fold the fabric in half lengthwise, iron and open up. Fold the raw edges to the ironed fold and iron again. Slip the ribbon or string in and topstitch. Add the clip. Done! I love that fabric with the green dots, and that you use a yellow clip with it rather than a green one. And Oliver is soooo cute! Makes me want to go and snuggle a baby.

Julie says:

Love the idea and they’re sooooo cute! I’m going to use the clip idea for my swipe card at work. Who said wearing a swipe card can’t be fashionable :)

Trish says:

I’ve made ones similar to these as baby gifts. New moms really appreciate them. I LOVE the rounded clip design. Thanks for letting us know those are now available.

Kristina Noall says:

Love those clips! I’ve been making your previous design–the ones with the cheap badge clips, with a button glued on top–as baby gifts for years now, but I’ve often wondered if moms freak out about the buttons being a choking hazard if they came off (which they have on one or two of the ones I made for my own baby), and don’t use them. This will be safer and easier! Yay!
    Don’t mean to write a novel, but I make these loop attachment ones, too, with ribbon and elastic. I use a seam ripper to make a small hole about an inch away from one end of the ribbon, and heat seal it. Then I loop a piece of thin elastic through the hole, fold over the ribbon so the ends of the elastic are sandwiched between the ribbon, and sew back and forth across the ribbon to secure the elastic. It probably doesn’t look as nice as these you’ve showed us, but it’s a fast baby shower gift :)

Oh yes, the button ones are fun too…..and a little faster to make. But yeah, sometimes the button can cause worry. The elastic is a great idea too!

Thanks Kristina!

Anne says:

Love this!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

Judy says:

are you using the plastic clips? Where does it say that they are BPA free, etc. etc. Are they strong and ‘unbreakable?”

Nancy says:

Hi Ashley,

When my daughter was an infant she used a pacifier and although I’m not sure who started it, we ended up calling it a “sucker”. I got her off of it about a month before my son was born (they are 13 mths apart). I would catch her when she didn’t see me and she would take the “sucker” out of my son’s mouth, frantically suck on it for 30 seconds or so, then put it back in his mouth before he cried. It was hilarious!

I do warn against using the name “sucker” for a pacifier tho. As she got a bit older and started talking, she, as all toddlers do, didn’t pronounce her S’s properly, they came out sounding like F’s. As you can imagine it let to some very embarrassing times in the grocery store, at family events, etc. It was awful.

Thank you so much for the instruction for the clips, as well as the link to Amazon for the clips themselves. Oliver is absolutely adorable!

Hahaha……this made me laugh so hard! And I totally remember the substitution of letters with my 6 year old. When he was 2, he couldn’t quite say Fire Truck….because he would say an “F” in stead of a “T”. We would hear one driving by and he would scream his version of Fire Truck in a loud and excited shrill. We always had surprised looks from people around us.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh! And enjoy the clips! :)

Melinda says:

Love these! Really cute! I have made all 5 of my boys pacifier clips for years, using ribbon instead of fabric is also an easy way, but fabric to me comes in more patterns, also the length of the ribbon or fabric looks kind of long, IMHO it needs to be shorter :) , you don’t want it too long that it has enough length to wrap around the neck and the clip and pacifier tangle, I make mine 6in from pacifier to clip(not counting clip) they recommend not goin longer than 6 in due to strangulation, anyway just thought I would share :) love the tutorial you explained it very nicely :)

Good advice, thanks! These clips are only 7 inches (after they’re sewn)…..but probably look extra long because my little guy is so young. I try and keep it clipped down pretty low on him but soon, I don’t think they’ll be an issue. But they would be pretty easy to make shorter……or longer for other uses.

Thanks for the reminder!

Rachel says:

Hi there – these are adorable and I want to make them! I used your Amazon link but it looks like they come in packages of 15 of the same color. Did you find a multi-pack? And if so, want to share that link? Many thanks, Rachel