DIY Giraffe Nursery Art (or any other room!)

Do you realize that in less than a week, our little squishy baby boy will be here?!!  (I just have to type that out, so that it can sink in….because I can’t even believe it myself!) Yes…..I’m being induced.  And can hardly wait to meet this little turkey!  And to have my abdomen back.  And lots of cozy room for my bladder to expand like normal.  Haha!  I mean, I’m glad to accommodate and offer a fancy trampoline for this kiddo to punch/squish/jump on…..but I’d like it back, thankyouverymuch!

So, I’ve been organizing baby gear, washing a trillion onesies, gathering baby jammies, and trying to guess how many size 1 diapers to buy (because we all know this little chunk won’t ever be in newborn diapers).  And well, I hate to admit it, but I finally decided to decorate his nursery.  I know, I know…..I should have done this months ago, or have just left it alone and waited until after his birth.  Who actually waits until a couple weeks before the baby’s due date and then starts hauling wood from Home Depot and gets down on hands/knees to assemble/paint/etc???  But I just couldn’t leave it bare.  The walls were begging me to happy them up!  And besides, if something were to actually put me into labor…….I’d welcome it!  (My babies are surrounded by a steel placenta that never breaks and well, I never dialate.  My body likes to hang out at a “0″, like it’s fun or something.  Ha!  Thus, the need for pitocin with all 3 previous deliveries.)

Anyway, I have several things to share (and some will show up here after he comes)……but I am officially done.  Hoo-ray!!

First up??  (If you follow my Instagram account, you may have seen the sneak peek.)

Some sweet Giraffe Nursery Art for above his crib…

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

***These giraffes were inspired by a gift bag that a sweet friend gave to me a month or so ago, with a darling baby gift inside…..thanks Christine!***

Large strips of wood, connected together and hung from the wall……..with long giraffe necks painted on each.  The colors, the patterns…….I LOVE how it turned out!

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

And well, it’s the perfect thing to fill up that big wall above baby boy’s crib.  (And no, we still haven’t decided on an official name for this kiddo.)

But just think……..if you’re not into giraffes, how about painting trees on the wood?  Or cute wild flowers with tall stems?  Or stick people?  Or anything, really. :)

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

It may be hard to see from the pictures, but each giraffe is hand painted (tips below) and the whole piece sits about a 1/2 inch from the wall.  The perfect little pop!

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

And once he outgrows the crib (or begins messing with it), we’ll find it a new spot above a dresser or use it as a headboard…..who knows.

But just keep in mind, this would be darling in a toddler/child’s room as well.  Or hey, maybe even a play room.  These little giraffe’s will happy up any space in your house! :)

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

Ready to make your own Giraffe Wall Art?

Keep in mind, that everyone’s project will end up a little different and will require different amounts of wood.  I’ll share my exact measurements…..but yours may differ.  Also, any type of wood would work for this….but I used pine.  Because it was cheap.  And was slightly lighter than some other choices.  So, just use these steps as a guide while planning your specific Giraffe Art.

Supplies:

• Long and thin pieces of wood (I used pine, about 1/2 of an inch thick and 5.5, 7.5, and 9.5 inches wide)
  • Wood pieces for the back: 1 1/2 wide x 3/4 inches thick in size (or you could use any type of scrap wood)
  • Nail gun (or regular hammer and nails)
  • White base paint (I used our baseboard paint, semi gloss.  It’s slightly off white.)
  • A variety of acrylic paints for painting the giraffes

First of all, before cutting anything, cut your shapes out of paper and place them on the wall where you’d like them.  Tape them in place.

IMG_7370

Then start cutting your wood to mimic your paper on the wall.  The width of the papers above was about 48 inches wide, so I knew I wanted to spread the wood out that wide.  So that meant that each strip of wood was about 1/2 inch apart.  Then I placed the thin 1.5 inch pieces of wood across the back and nailed them in place.  (Actually, I forgot to switch them over and reverse the order so that I would be nailing in the “back” side……..so the order of the wood is actually mirror image to my original plan, but it wasn’t crucial.  So I left it and actually liked the set up a little better with the other things in the room.  That was lucky! :) )

IMG_7445

Next, I painted the wood with some semi-gloss paint that we have an abundance of (for the baseboards).  Just be sure to paint along the side of the wood and the strips of wood that show through from the back.

IMG_7155

While that’s drying, sketch out your giraffes.  It would be impossible for me to expand these giraffes to the size you need and offer a template……..so here’s a snapshot of the giraffes Steve (my husband) drew for our sketch.  Maybe it will help you sketch your own?  But don’t stress, they don’t have to be perfect.  You just need a main giraffe shape.  And if your giraffe heads aren’t facing all different directions like these are……just use the same giraffe head silhouette.

IMG_7375

Then, draw your giraffes right onto the strips of wood.  And then decide which paint colors you want for each giraffe.

IMG_7331

IMG_7336

After your giraffes are all dry, you can add a little detail to each.  For the blue polka dots, I poured some white paint (the same color as the base color of my wood strips) and used the paint lid as a template and made circles along the giraffe’s neck.

IMG_7343

Then I painted the inside of each circle with a paint brush.

IMG_7351

The leaves I just free handed with a skinny paint brush.

IMG_7355

Same with the stripes.

IMG_7356

The hollow circles were made the same as the polka dots above but I used the lid of a cinnamon container.  Or maybe it was onion powder.  Ha!  (Just be sure to wipe any lines that spill outside the lines of the giraffe.  And if you use the same white as the base color, it will just blend in and you don’t have to wipe it off that well.  Just enough so there’s not a bump.)

IMG_7361

Let your giraffe’s dry.  And then attach a wire to the back, hooks, wire……….whatever you prefer for hanging.

DIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love It

Good luck!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Baby, Children, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

66 Responses to “DIY Giraffe Nursery Art (or any other room!)”
    Jennifer says:

Ashley, this is too, too cute! I would buy this from a store in a heartbeat! Now I am trying to come up with a place that needs giraffes… seriously, I LOVE it!

Mary says:

I love how it looks like they are wearing neckties or they are neckties but giraffes. It is hard to explain but it is really cute!

You said you would welcome the natural start of labor. I understand that the beginning and progression of labor have a lot to do with fetal position. I have experienced this twice now where repositioning baby has gotten labor to start or to move from early labor into active labor. This website has some great techniques to help with that. http://spinningbabies.com/?view=featured. Just an idea!

I wish you all the best as you welcome your precious little guy into the world!

Heidi says:

This is so cute and would delight anyone! Thanks and all the best for the birth of your son:)

Rebecca says:

Good luck with labor. I have the same issue. I once went 30 hours in medicated and only reached 6 cm!! Some women have all the luck. Lol.

laura says:

Super cute! I’m due end of august and looks like my nursery is similar, gray walls with bright colors. In curious, where did you get that rug? Ikea?

Christina says:

Really adorable. You did a great job.

Elizabeth says:

This is very beautiful…And best wishes for the new arrival…I am due on July 18th..waiting for my second one…

Oh yay! My real due date is the 14th but they’re inducing because of size. But our babies have been cooking almost exactly the same time! Best wishes to you too! :)

katy says:

Adorable!! Best wishes to you and your family while you wait for this little one to arrive!

Priscilla from CA says:

This is adorable…thanks for sharing!

Sami says:

This is soooo cute!!! This might inspire me for my boys room I’m working on. Trying to do something with bikes, cars, etc. I will have to brainstorm! Love it!

Yes, so many things would work in here. What if you did a variety of tall traffic signs? Like a stop sign, a yield sign, a train track sign, etc. That would go right along with a car theme and would allow you to do tall skinny things. Would be cute! :) Good luck!

Taya says:

Good luck with getting that little one out!! Ever consider drinking Castor oil to help things along? I didn’t until my 4th (first 3 were all Pitocin induced). Took castor oil with my 4th (you can find it at Walmart for like $3 in the laxative section), drank 2 tblsp. (with juice, it’s nasty tasting) and mowed the lawn…hehe. Labor started 2 hours later my baby was born 6 hours later. It was the best recovery and I had no side effects from the oil (if you know what I’m saying!). I know everyone’s had different experiences, I hope you have a great labor and delivery! So excited for you!

Oh gosh, I totally did with Chloe (my last baby). And it was pretty uncomfortable, you know, in the bathroom department. ;) In fact, I tried a lot of things with her and nothing worked. The doctor had no idea how big she was and was only going off of measuring my belly with a measuring tape. No ultra sound…..nothing. He said there was no need to induce and I went a few days late with her and finally dialated enough to go in. Once she was born at 11 pounds, the dr apologized over and over again…..haha! I didn’t, however, mow the lawn after taking the oil. Ha! That must have been key. ;)

But seriously, I don’t know why my body hangs on to these babies for so long. If I could jump start labor before being induced this weekend…..I totally would. Hmmmm, I better start walking around the neighborhood! :)

Anyway, sorry for all of that ramble. Once I start talking about baby, I can’t stop! Thanks for the love Taya! :) -Ashley

• 11.1.1
        Taya says:

Oh wow, 11lbs! My biggest was 8lbs.12oz. I hope this one isn’t as big for your sake! I’ll be thinking about you. Can’t wait to see what he looks like!

Bridget says:

All the best of luck with the birth. I admire you. I love your blog and have learned a lot from it sewing wise.

Brenda says:

Darling! I love it! Thanks for sharing! Best of luck to you on your new arrival!

Debby says:

What a clever twist on decorating with giraffes. Love your style. Blessings to you and yours and best wishes with the birth of your latest addition.

LiLi says:

Just trying to figure out where I can hang these! I may build an extra room just so I can display something so fun and colorful.

Gorgeous!! I absolutely LOVE this! Just wanted to mention that my BFF just had her fourth . . . without pitocin!! Her first three she all needed it, and this one, the little lady just came on her own, four days after her due date. There’s always a chance :) (PS She scowled at me every time I suggested there was a chance before it happened, lol!)

Oh, really?!?! She sounds just like me…..but I won’t be waiting until after my due date to let this one come. Because this baby is already big (and because of my past big babies), I’m being induced a week early. But I would love for my body to sense that and just kick it into labor this weekend! (And I have to laugh that she scowled at you. That’s been me for am month….about everything! I swear, pregnant ladies are totally inconsolable at times and have the weirdest misconceptions about everything. Darn hormones!) Thanks for the love Lisa!

Amanda says:

Are you sure you’re about due to deliver a baby?!!??! :) I don’t know how you do it-I’m tuckered out with 3 little ones!
    Like everyone said, this project is adorable. Just the thing I can make for my little girl who’s 4 1/2 months. I think if I still lived in your city (which I did and lived/worked in D49), we’d be friends!
    Have fun squishing those cute cheeks! My last one was the only one who wore newborn diapers. And that didn’t last long! :)

I know….it’s weird! I get these weird surges of energy when I think about trying to get anything done after the baby comes. Because I know that’s not happening. :)

Oh how funny…..and we used to live and go to school in that district too. Ha! Why in the world did you go and move?!?! ;)

Thanks again Amanda!

Jaime says:

Super CUTE! I had to be induced with both my babies. I so know the feeling of no newborn diapers too!

Haha…..yay for big babies! :) (But I kinda wish they’d make an XL newborn size diaper so that the nurses wouldn’t all freak out that my chunky baby has to wear a size 1 diaper. Haha! Okay, not really, but whatever! :) )

Estrella says:

Very cute!! These giraffes sound familiar… I draw inspiration from the same image to hang some art on a wallery wall:

I just used cardboard, wrapping paper and cheap Ikea frames. I played with different finishes but I really like that you introduced different patterns on your giraffes. DIY art for the win! :)

jennifer says:

i love how amazing these giraffes are! You are such a talented person.

Jackie says:

Now that is adorable!

sally says:

That is super cool! Just make sure it’s hang securely. I am the worrying type, and my babies liked to grab and pull things. So, I used the foam board for the diy arts above their crib.

Anyway. You are so blessed to have a stronger belly to hold them till you are ready to get them out. =) My babies both pushed down so early. I was 2cm dilated at 7 month with my first one, had to bed rest all the way. But I did keep her inside till she drank all the fluid at 39 1/2 wk. And for my second one, my cervix was gone at 18 wk check up, they had to sew me up and I had to bed rest for 5 months. But again I kept him in till 39wk. So, trust me, you are in a way better condition. The only reason they don’t want to come out is because it’s way too comfy and cozy in there. =) I miss the days I played with my babies when they were inside.

Now you just go relax and wait for him. Don’t work too hard. I did a full day of yard work, didn’t know my water was leaking till 8 hrs later. Then both my baby and I got seriously infected. So, take it easy, will you. God bless you, super mommy!

Thanks Sally…..it’s secured up there pretty well. But, like I mentioned in the post, I’m not afraid to re-locate it, if baby starts playing with it. I’m thinking it would be pretty cute hanging anywhere! :)

And yes, you’re so right. It’s probably more stress to worry about them coming out at any time……so I should be more grateful for my steel belly. In fact, it has allowed me to get a lot more done because I know my baby will stay right where he is. :) However, I probably do a little more than I should. But I do take a nap every day though! :)

So grateful for medical interventions and that you were able to carry your babies full term, even with those types of complications. Babies are true blessings. And so are the hands of talented doctors and medical staff! Thanks for sharing! :)

Caitie says:

This is TOO CUTE! Thanks for sharing!
    Best wishes for your up coming birth!

Virginie says:

Thanks Ashley, this is the perfect decoration for either my little girl’s new room or my baby boy’s! I too am expecting a baby boy, but I’m not due before December! But I have a brand new house to decorate, so I’ll be visiting your blog quite a lot! Thnks for everything!

Kristina Noall says:

I can’t believe you and Steve freehanded this!! I was thinking, “how did she get it to look so crisp? Is that vinyl cut with her Silhouette?” :) We just moved, and live near an auto body repair place with a sign that says “FREE PALLETS.” Now I finally have a way to take advantage of their generosity. :) Good luck with Baby #4!!

onel says:

Oh this is so cute!! Love the colorful giraffe! Congrats for the baby :)

Vanessa A says:

I LOVE this! I am doing a nursery this week for my little girl who is due in the beginning of August, and have been pondering how to incorporate the African animals I like into the decor. I think it might be fate, my three decorating colors are the grey blue and coral on the left! Thank you and good luck with your birth!

So dang cute – I love it!

Irena says:

Lovely giraffes. All the best with the birth hope all goes well. Blessings and peace

Khristine says:

This is just so beautiful! I am due in 4 weeks time and I would really love to do this as well.

Claudia says:

Congratulations on your new baby! And thank you for sharing this adorable idea!! I loved reaing your blog post, great sense of humor! I’ll have to try this out as a gift for one or more of my grand kids :)

Lolly Jane says:

This is just darling. LOVE it.

Heather says:

These are adorable! My now-11 year old son had a jungle theme in his room, heavy on the giraffes ;) and I would have LOVED to have had something like this in his room. Might just have to try it now anyway for my 9 year old who just loves animals. Maybe with some birds as those are his favorite. A wonderful and easy idea! Thanks for sharing.

Ashlyn says:

This is adorable!! Do you have the names of the colors you used for each giraffe? What about a picture of how you hung it? And what kind of paint brush did you use for painting the giraffes? You are so talented…thanks for sharing! :)

I absolutely love this idea Ashley! It would be perfect for a toddler room also!

Malia says:

What are the names of the paint colors you used?

Leslie says:

This is so stinkin cute! I’m not talented at all so let me know if you ever do more to sell bc I’d love one–I can see these on etsy!