Little Girl Pleated Purse…with button closure!

First of all, the winner of the Home Depot $100 Gift Card was selected this morning.  The winner’s name was announced on the Rafflecopter form.
And second of all, I’m so happy to have Crystal here again today from Stitched By Crystal.  I just KNOW you’re going to LOVE this sweet Little Girl Pleated Purse that she is sharing today.  I mean come on, how can you not smile looking at her little girl carrying her own purse.  The whole thing is so sweet (…and a great beginner project)!

-Ashley
. . . . .
Hi, it’s Crystal from Stitched by Crystal and I have something simple and fun to share for the little girls today.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Every little girl needs a purse to complete her outfit and carry her essentials.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
And little girls carrying their purses are just the cutest!
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
This little purse is a quick easy sew that would make a great project for a beginner seamstress, but it is fun for more advanced ones too.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial (4)
The finished bag measures about 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall and has an 8 in drop on the handle.  It is a good size for tiny ones like my *almost* two year old and would work great as a small purse for older girls too.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
It is a perfect size for carrying all of her important things. My girl quickly loaded hers up with broken crayons, matchbox cars, and half eaten crackers for our trip to the park…you know, just the essentials!
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Best of all, this project can be made with a fat quarter of fabric and you can finish it in under an hour!
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Want to make a purse for a little girl in your life?
Great, let’s get started!
To make this purse, you will need:
  • 1/4 yard (or fat quarter) of outer fabric (Any kind of fabric will work. I used quilting cotton.  If you use a thicker home décor type fabric, you can skip the interfacing.)
  • 1/2 yard of lightweight iron on interfacing.  I used Pellon featherweight.
  • 1/8 yard of lining fabric
  • 1 1-inch button
  • basic sewing supplies
**All seam allowances are ½ inch
Cut your fabric to the dimensions shown in the chart below.

Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Iron your interfacing to your 2 outer bag pieces and your 4 top band pieces.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Make the strap by folding your 4 inch by 20 inch piece in half the long way and pressing, unfold it and fold the raw edges into the middle crease.  Refold the strap on the middle fold and top-stitch along both sides.  Place your strap aside.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
The button loop is sewn on the bias so it has a bit of stretch making it easier for little fingers to fasten it over the button.  Make the button loop by folding the 4 inch x 4 inch square on the diagonal and lining up the corners.  Sew 3/8 inch from the fold.  Trim the corners off close to the seam.  Turn the button loop right side out. (An easy way to do this is to attach a safety pin to one of the points and feed it through the tube.  Check out Ashley’s tutorial here.)  Press the loop and set it aside.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Curve the bottom two corners of all your bag pieces, the two outer and two lining pieces.  Use a small bowl or cup to help you get and even curve.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Fold one of your bag pieces in half and trim the top at an angle, starting 1 inch down from the top on the side and going up to the very top at the fold.  When you unfold the piece, it should angle up to form a point in the middle; this will help everything lay nice and flat when you sew your pleat.  Repeat this step with the other outer bag piece and the two lining pieces.
Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Next we will make the pleat.  Fold the outer bag piece in half again, this time make a small mark at the top of that bag 1 inch from the fold.  Sew a few stitches right at the top of the bag, don’t sew beyond the ½ inch seam allowance.  Unfold the bag and press your pleat flat with your fingers.  Baste the pleat in place ¼ inch from the edge.  Repeat this step to sew a pleat in your second outer bag piece.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Place the outer bag piece and one of the band pieces right sides together, lining up the raw edge of the bag top with the band.  Pin in place then sew them together.  Press the seam towards the band and top stitch along the bottom of the band.  Repeat with your other outer bag piece.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Place the two outer pieces right sides together and pin around the edge, lining up the seams at the band.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial (23)
Turn your bag right side out.  Line the raw edge of your strap up with the raw edge of your bag, centering it over the side seam.  Pin then baste the strap in place at both sides.  Fold your button loop in half and pin it to the middle of one side of the bag, baste the loop in place.  Set the outer purse aside while you sew the lining.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Gather the top of your lining so it is the same length as your band.  (Need help with gathering?)  Pin then sew the band to the top of the lining.  Press the seam towards the band and top-stitch. Repeat with the other lining piece.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Place the lining pieces right sides together and pin around the edge.  Sew them together, leaving a 3 inch opening at the bottom.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
With the lining inside out and the purse right side out, stuff your bag inside the lining.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Pin the top raw edges of the bag and lining, lining up the side seams.  Sew all the way around the top of the purse.
 Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Turn the purse right side out through the hole in the bottom of the lining.  Fold the raw edge of the opening in and stitch the opening closed.
  Little girl pleated purse tutorial  - makeit-loveit.com
Tuck your lining inside your bag.  Top stitch all the way around the top of the purse (about a 1/8 of an inch from the upper edge) and sew your button in place.
Little girl pleated purse tutorial (17)
You have a finished purse!
Thanks for reading!
To check out more of my fun kids tutorials, swing by my blog sometime!
-Crystal
 blog-contributor
Check out Crystal’s blog here.  Her darling shop here.  And her Pinterest page here.
 Check out these other cute bag tutorials that you can whip up in no time:
DIY Pineapple Drawstring Backback...so fun for all ages! | via Make It and Love It
DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

Filed under Accessory, Children, Gift Ideas, Guest Contributor Crystal, Sewing

Comments

91 Responses to “Little Girl Pleated Purse…with button closure!”
    eva says:

I love this little purse. I am making one for my 5 year old daughter. Very cute.

Lynette says:

Way cute! I love the pleat and the closure! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley says:

Love it thank you

Kim says:

This is so cute! The design could be adapted to make a “big girl” purse too!

Queenie says:

Love this cute purse for Toddlers I shall create one for my Grand-daughter. Great tutorial! and photo’s are clear. Thank you for sharing Crystal!

Melane says:

This adorable!!!! thanks for sharing!

Erica G says:

That is super cute and looks easy! Thanks for the clear tutorial! I think my 5 year old would love this! Probably even my 13 year old too ;)

Sharlyn says:

Sooooooo cute! I love it! pinned :)

Elnisi says:

the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was a little black bag
    to go with a little black dress. a bling button and you are ready for a night out.
    and my grand dtr will live to have one too.
    this also would adapt to leather
    or suede,faux or real..
    good job crystal.

Swetha says:

I pinned it too.. From your clear step by step pictures, I also understood how to fix ripped seams/handles in some of my favorite handbags which will otherwise be sent to trash. thanks!

Luan says:

Thank you for the Tutorial. This purse is precious!!!

Jocelyn says:

Just made two…cute pattern and a great way to use those left over fabric pieces. Wish I could attach a photo!

Amber says:

What a great tutorial!! Just finished my bag. LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing this.

onel says:

Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial! I love the bag!

Izabela says:

I just finished making two of them. My girls love their new handbags. Great project. Thank you

Jo Rich says:

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I’ve just made a bag for myself using faux suede for the outer. It’s the perfect size to hold my phone, my purse and my house keys – just right for school drop off and pickup. My girls have just seen it though & want one each…guess I’ll be making some more then!! Thank you so much.

Tirlirinka says:

I love it :)

Jill Seibert says:

Thanks for this tutorial. Just made one and it turned out so cute i’m already making another one. Too bad there’s no way to share a picture here but I pinned it on my Pinterest if you want to see it. :-)

This is adorable! I was looking for a bag to make for a friend’s daughter. She is turning 2 the beginning of July. This will be perfect. And I just have to say that the second photo of your daughter is just absolutely adorable. Made me smile really big. :o) Thanks for sharing the tutorial for making this cute little bag.
    Melissa

erinmalia says:

Quick question: in the instructions it says to angle the lining. But in the pictures, it doesn’t look like that was done. I’m not sure how to gather the pointed piece. Any advice? Thanks!

Michelle says:

Hi Crystal,
    I’m loving this tutorial! I’m making my first bag for my little girl and had a question regarding one of the steps above. The step where the lining is gathered to line up with the band, I notice that in your photos the top edge of the lining is straight, as opposed to pointed like the outer bag pieces before they are gathered to form the pleat. Does the lining not get pleated as well? If not, I’m not clear why the instructions indicate that the lining pieces should be trimmed like the outer bag pieces to form a point.
    Thanks so much – I’m halfway through this tutorial and really loving how it’s turning out so far. My girl will be so excited when she sees her new ladybug purse!

Love the purse. Great instructions. Do you have instructions for woman’s pleated purse?

Lisa says:

Thanks for the nice tutorial. Took me a lot longer than an hour though :)

Crystal says:

I guess it probably takes a lot longer when you are reading instructions too, I bet a second one would be quick :) glad you liked it!

Kathy says:

I know what my grand daughters are getting for Christmas! I can’t wait to make these! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

Nicole says:

Thanks for the tutorial. Terrific clear instructions and accompanying photos made it very easy to make. I have never completed any sewing project before but finished this one and am very pleased with the result.

Crystal says:

That is so awesome Nicole! I am glad I could help you with your first sewing project! Are you hooked now? Sewing is such a great hobby!

shirl says:

I have been sewing for many years and this is the best quick sewing tutorial I have seen. You are a gifted artisan and Thank you for making my granddaughter ( 22 mo.) so tickled with an adorable purse to match the new simple dress I made for her. I’m thinking of making six of these for our little girls in our childrens’ church for their accomplishments they have made in school ,etc. These are small enough for using up some of my scraps. Thank you again.

tracie c. says:

ghaaaa this is cute! making one asap!

carol says:

Love it, just made one and I am so pleased with it, great instructions and pattern, thanks x

April says:

This is the cutest thing ever!

Ronnell says:

Love this! Just made one for my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday.

Bronwyn says:

Love this tutorial! I just finished my first (of what I’m sure will be many) handbag for a 3y.o birthday tomorrow and it looks amazing! If only I could post a pic!! :)

Kim says:

I just finished this little bag and oh my goodness… it is cute! Thank you for the excellent tutorial. I found the pictures to be really helpful!~

Chidi says:

Just made this bag for a soon-to-be 3 year old. I’m sure she will looooooove it. Thank you for this.

kristen natysin says:

Was wondering if you have a print friendly version for instructions? I can not get it to print and I need the lettering much larger so I can see it ,
    The pictures print fine just not the words.

Rebecca P says:

Thank you for such a great tutorial! I used to enjoy sewing when in high school, but got away from it after some high school projects. With young kids at home I have wanted to make some things for them and jumped back into it with twin size quilts for them last December (don’t know what I was thinking starting with that!!!). But branching out into other things and wanted to make my 5 yr old daughter a purse to carry like mom.
    I can’t thank you enough for the detailed tutorial!!! I used to be a metal fabricator so I understand cutting and putting all the parts together, but that lining got me! I ended up using one of my husbands old dress shirts as the lining and then cut off his pocket and added it inside this purse on one side for her to have a little pocket inside.
    I am now planning on making this exact purse in different fabrics for all of the girls in our family for Christmas (12 young girls total!), plus a few more for my best friends girls :)

Ann H says:

Thank you for such a great and easy tutorial! We have a January wedding of our eldest son and our 11 and 12 yo granddaughters–his nieces– are in the wedding and we are going to make evening purses out of navy satin with a fancy button!

thais says:

I have just finished one of these for a birthday gift.
    Lovely! Thank you!

Denise says:

I’m going to make some for my girls to go with their Christmas dresses. So cute!

Brittnee says:

Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial :) I’m making 2 of these along with matching wallets for my daughters for christmas :)

Debbie Terry says:

Thank you for making such easy to follow pattern and instructions. I am excited to make for my granddaughters ages 1-8, maybe I will start with the three year old and see how many I can find time to complete. Hardest is finding fabric.ha

sue b says:

Great little bag and directions are so easy to follow!!! Alsom made the crayon roll to match the bag!!! ThanksQ

Sarah h says:

Great tutorial thank you. Just made this and I am an absolute beginner. This was my first project and I’m delighted with the results. Very easy to follow. Thankyou

Emily says:

This tutorial is wonderful! Directions and pictures are so easy to follow. I just finished one for one of my sweet granddaughters. Thank you for sharing!

Jane says:

Super directions and photos. Thanks. My Grand Emma will love this.

Marion Olguin says:

I’ve had this bookmarked for the longest time :) My daughters 8th birthday is coming up, and I think she’ll be so excited to get her very own purse made by Mama. Thanks for the tutorial and also the super clear directions.

Joy says:

If you wanted it to be slightly bigger? How would you adjust it? Could anyone chime in on the sizes of pieces of fabric to cut? Thanks

Katherine says:

I made the main body pieces 2″ taller than specified and the strap 2″ longer. I left everything else the same.

If you wanted to make it wider as well as taller you could just increase the size of the band pieces the same amount as you increased the body. I would also lengthen the strap by the same amount. If you increase the size by a lot you may need to make the pleat deeper as well to keep the proportions looking right. Just experiment with that to see what looks nice.

Thanks for the great pattern, I’ll be making it with my god-daughter and god-son at the weekend, would be nice if it weren’t quite so gendered, I know lots of little boys that love purses just as much as girls

Niechelle Wade says:

Oh my Goodness! A great pattern and the pictures are so cute!! That girl is a real natural. Keep up the good work. :)

annie says:

My 3 year old girl picked up this fabric from Joann and said she really wants a blue purse. Your tutorial is just perfect!! I am sure she will love it when she sees it tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Pam says:

Love love this pattern……..I have made a few already! Can’t stop….

They are a big hit with the little girls.
    Thank you for sharing.

Dagmar says:

Thank you very much for such a great pattern. Many greetings from the Czech Republic :-)))).
    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Dagmar

Kristie says:

Hi there! I’m almost done with the purse and have hit a snag. Hope you can help me? When you have us cut 1″ down on the outer piece (when prepping for the pleat), you say to repeat with other outer piece and two lining pieces. Yet when I get a few steps further drown, the lining pieces are not cut. Did i miss something? I have more fabric and can make new lining pieces but would rather not. Any tips for me?

Kristie says:

ok just was able to read through the past comments and see that i can still gather along top edge of slanted lining pieces. I’m such a novice and got confused. I’ll probably have my mom come over and help me though the gathering part. thanks again, love this purse so much! It’s adorable.

Katherine says:

Thanks for a great tutorial. I have made quite a few bags and this one is my new favourite. I just made it for a 5yo’s birthday present. I increased the height of the main body pieces and the strap by 2″ as I was making it for an older child than specified in the information. It looks great! I am really happy with it. Thank you again.

Vickie says:

Thamks for sharing this tutorial. Just finished making one for my 2 year old granddaughter. This was a great project to start brushing up on my sewing skills. Recently retired and hope to start & complete mire projects.
    Thanks again.