Little Girl Pleated Purse…with button closure!

First of all, the winner of the Home Depot $100 Gift Card was selected this morning.  The winner’s name was announced on the Rafflecopter form.

And second of all, I’m so happy to have Crystal here again today from Stitched By Crystal.  I just KNOW you’re going to LOVE this sweet Little Girl Pleated Purse that she is sharing today.  I mean come on, how can you not smile looking at her little girl carrying her own purse.  The whole thing is so sweet (…and a great beginner project)!

-Ashley
. . . . .

Hi, it’s Crystal from Stitched by Crystal and I have something simple and fun to share for the little girls today.

DIY Little Girl Pleated Purse...with button closure! (great for beginners) --- Make It and Love It

Every little girl needs a purse to complete her outfit and carry her essentials.

And little girls carrying their purses are just the cutest!

This little purse is a quick easy sew that would make a great project for a beginner seamstress, but it is fun for more advanced ones too.

The finished bag measures about 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall and has an 8 in drop on the handle.  It is a good size for tiny ones like my *almost* two year old and would work great as a small purse for older girls too.

It is a perfect size for carrying all of her important things. My girl quickly loaded hers up with broken crayons, matchbox cars, and half eaten crackers for our trip to the park…you know, just the essentials!

Best of all, this project can be made with a fat quarter of fabric and you can finish it in under an hour!

Want to make a purse for a little girl in your life?
Great, let’s get started!

To make this purse, you will need:
  • 1/4 yard (or fat quarter) of outer fabric (Any kind of fabric will work. I used quilting cotton.  If you use a thicker home décor type fabric, you can skip the interfacing.)
  • 1/2 yard of lightweight iron on interfacing.  I used Pellon featherweight.
  • 1/8 yard of lining fabric
  • 1 1-inch button
  • basic sewing supplies
**All seam allowances are ½ inch

Cut your fabric to the dimensions shown in the chart below.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 8.27.57 AM

Iron your interfacing to your 2 outer bag pieces and your 4 top band pieces.

Make the strap by folding your 4 inch by 20 inch piece in half the long way and pressing, unfold it and fold the raw edges into the middle crease.  Refold the strap on the middle fold and top-stitch along both sides.  Place your strap aside.

The button loop is sewn on the bias so it has a bit of stretch making it easier for little fingers to fasten it over the button.  Make the button loop by folding the 4 inch x 4 inch square on the diagonal and lining up the corners.  Sew 3/8 inch from the fold.  Trim the corners off close to the seam.  Turn the button loop right side out. (An easy way to do this is to attach a safety pin to one of the points and feed it through the tube.  Check out Ashley’s tutorial here.)  Press the loop and set it aside.

Curve the bottom two corners of all your bag pieces, the two outer and two lining pieces.  Use a small bowl or cup to help you get and even curve.

Fold one of your bag pieces in half and trim the top at an angle, starting 1 inch down from the top on the side and going up to the very top at the fold.  When you unfold the piece, it should angle up to form a point in the middle; this will help everything lay nice and flat when you sew your pleat.  Repeat this step with the other outer bag piece and the two lining pieces.

Next we will make the pleat.  Fold the outer bag piece in half again, this time make a small mark at the top of that bag 1 inch from the fold.  Sew a few stitches right at the top of the bag, don’t sew beyond the ½ inch seam allowance.  Unfold the bag and press your pleat flat with your fingers.  Baste the pleat in place ¼ inch from the edge.  Repeat this step to sew a pleat in your second outer bag piece.

Place the outer bag piece and one of the band pieces right sides together, lining up the raw edge of the bag top with the band.  Pin in place then sew them together.  Press the seam towards the band and top stitch along the bottom of the band.  Repeat with your other outer bag piece.

Place the two outer pieces right sides together and pin around the edge, lining up the seams at the band.

Turn your bag right side out.  Line the raw edge of your strap up with the raw edge of your bag, centering it over the side seam.  Pin then baste the strap in place at both sides.  Fold your button loop in half and pin it to the middle of one side of the bag, baste the loop in place.  Set the outer purse aside while you sew the lining.

Gather the top of your lining so it is the same length as your band.  (Need help with gathering?)  Pin then sew the band to the top of the lining.  Press the seam towards the band and top-stitch. Repeat with the other lining piece.

Place the lining pieces right sides together and pin around the edge.  Sew them together, leaving a 3 inch opening at the bottom.

With the lining inside out and the purse right side out, stuff your bag inside the lining.

Pin the top raw edges of the bag and lining, lining up the side seams.  Sew all the way around the top of the purse.

Turn the purse right side out through the hole in the bottom of the lining.  Fold the raw edge of the opening in and stitch the opening closed.

Tuck your lining inside your bag.  Top stitch all the way around the top of the purse (about a 1/8 of an inch from the upper edge) and sew your button in place.

You have a finished purse!

Thanks for reading!

To check out more of my fun kids tutorials, swing by my blog sometime!

-Crystal

blog-contributor

Check out Crystal’s blog here.  Her darling shop here.  And her Pinterest page here.

Filed under Accessory, Children, Gift Ideas, Sewing

Comments

63 Responses to “Little Girl Pleated Purse…with button closure!”
    eva says:

I love this little purse. I am making one for my 5 year old daughter. Very cute.

Lynette says:

Way cute! I love the pleat and the closure! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley says:

Love it thank you

Kim says:

This is so cute! The design could be adapted to make a “big girl” purse too!

Queenie says:

Love this cute purse for Toddlers I shall create one for my Grand-daughter. Great tutorial! and photo’s are clear. Thank you for sharing Crystal!

Melane says:

This adorable!!!! thanks for sharing!

Erica G says:

That is super cute and looks easy! Thanks for the clear tutorial! I think my 5 year old would love this! Probably even my 13 year old too ;)

Sharlyn says:

Sooooooo cute! I love it! pinned :)

Elnisi says:

the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was a little black bag
    to go with a little black dress. a bling button and you are ready for a night out.
    and my grand dtr will live to have one too.
    this also would adapt to leather
    or suede,faux or real..
    good job crystal.

Swetha says:

I pinned it too.. From your clear step by step pictures, I also understood how to fix ripped seams/handles in some of my favorite handbags which will otherwise be sent to trash. thanks!

Luan says:

Thank you for the Tutorial. This purse is precious!!!

Jocelyn says:

Just made two…cute pattern and a great way to use those left over fabric pieces. Wish I could attach a photo!

Amber says:

What a great tutorial!! Just finished my bag. LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing this.

onel says:

Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial! I love the bag!

Izabela says:

I just finished making two of them. My girls love their new handbags. Great project. Thank you

Jo Rich says:

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I’ve just made a bag for myself using faux suede for the outer. It’s the perfect size to hold my phone, my purse and my house keys – just right for school drop off and pickup. My girls have just seen it though & want one each…guess I’ll be making some more then!! Thank you so much.

Tirlirinka says:

I love it :)

Jill Seibert says:

Thanks for this tutorial. Just made one and it turned out so cute i’m already making another one. Too bad there’s no way to share a picture here but I pinned it on my Pinterest if you want to see it. :-)

This is adorable! I was looking for a bag to make for a friend’s daughter. She is turning 2 the beginning of July. This will be perfect. And I just have to say that the second photo of your daughter is just absolutely adorable. Made me smile really big. :o) Thanks for sharing the tutorial for making this cute little bag.
    Melissa

erinmalia says:

Quick question: in the instructions it says to angle the lining. But in the pictures, it doesn’t look like that was done. I’m not sure how to gather the pointed piece. Any advice? Thanks!

Bronwyn says:

I didn’t shape the lining and it worked fine. The gather detail on the lining is only very loose/small as there’s not much room to work with before you reach the length of the outer bag. Good luck! :)

Michelle says:

Hi Crystal,
    I’m loving this tutorial! I’m making my first bag for my little girl and had a question regarding one of the steps above. The step where the lining is gathered to line up with the band, I notice that in your photos the top edge of the lining is straight, as opposed to pointed like the outer bag pieces before they are gathered to form the pleat. Does the lining not get pleated as well? If not, I’m not clear why the instructions indicate that the lining pieces should be trimmed like the outer bag pieces to form a point.
    Thanks so much – I’m halfway through this tutorial and really loving how it’s turning out so far. My girl will be so excited when she sees her new ladybug purse!

Love the purse. Great instructions. Do you have instructions for woman’s pleated purse?

Lisa says:

Thanks for the nice tutorial. Took me a lot longer than an hour though :)

Crystal says:

I guess it probably takes a lot longer when you are reading instructions too, I bet a second one would be quick :) glad you liked it!

Kathy says:

I know what my grand daughters are getting for Christmas! I can’t wait to make these! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

Nicole says:

Thanks for the tutorial. Terrific clear instructions and accompanying photos made it very easy to make. I have never completed any sewing project before but finished this one and am very pleased with the result.

Crystal says:

That is so awesome Nicole! I am glad I could help you with your first sewing project! Are you hooked now? Sewing is such a great hobby!

shirl says:

I have been sewing for many years and this is the best quick sewing tutorial I have seen. You are a gifted artisan and Thank you for making my granddaughter ( 22 mo.) so tickled with an adorable purse to match the new simple dress I made for her. I’m thinking of making six of these for our little girls in our childrens’ church for their accomplishments they have made in school ,etc. These are small enough for using up some of my scraps. Thank you again.

tracie c. says:

ghaaaa this is cute! making one asap!

carol says:

Love it, just made one and I am so pleased with it, great instructions and pattern, thanks x

April says:

This is the cutest thing ever!

Ronnell says:

Love this! Just made one for my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday.

Bronwyn says:

Love this tutorial! I just finished my first (of what I’m sure will be many) handbag for a 3y.o birthday tomorrow and it looks amazing! If only I could post a pic!! :)

Kim says:

I just finished this little bag and oh my goodness… it is cute! Thank you for the excellent tutorial. I found the pictures to be really helpful!~

Chidi says:

Just made this bag for a soon-to-be 3 year old. I’m sure she will looooooove it. Thank you for this.

kristen natysin says:

Was wondering if you have a print friendly version for instructions? I can not get it to print and I need the lettering much larger so I can see it ,
    The pictures print fine just not the words.