Ooooooh, I’ve been so excited to share a little something that I’ve been asked to participate in. Michaels Craft Store has started a little program called Michaels Makers, which is a group of Craft/DIY bloggers who are given a monthly challenge, a gift card (for supplies), and the freedom to create whatever fits within that month’s category. I’m not usually one for deadlines (because I’m the biggest procrastinator you’ll ever meet…….shhhh!) but sometimes it’s fun to be given some parameters. And a fun challenge. Because it really gets me thinking. So, I told Michael’s, “YES! Sign me up!”
This first month’s challenge, was to select something from their online shopping One-Click projects, and make it my own. This is a brand new feature for Michaels. They have their regular online shopping (and shipping is FREE on orders over $50) but they also have a huge list of projects that you can select, and all of the supplies for that project are already located for you and can be placed right into your shopping cart — with ONE CLICK. Yeah, nice and easy. (And if you don’t need some of the supplies, just delete them from your cart. No biggee.)
So, my project? Framed Pop-Pom Flowers, to sit right above Elli and Chloe’s new bunk beds. (Yep, we just kicked Chloe out of the nursery a couple weeks ago and put the two girls together into one room. Those bunk beds are what made this transition easier for a particular reluctant 7-year-old to have her “messy” and “nosy” 3-year-old sister join her room.)
At the top of the Michaels header, there is a tab that says, “Find a Project”. Once I clicked there, I browsed the different categories a while and finally decided on “Home Accent & Decor”. Under that category is where I found my inspiration…..these little Pom-Pom Flowers.
Once I clicked on the flowers, I was directed to a new page where I found all of the supplies needed to create the project. Also, there are step-by-step directions right there as well.
However, I didn’t quite follow the same instructions because I needed to fill a bit more space. So, I separated the flowers to their own individual frames and made each flower a lot bigger. Oh, and I skipped on the yarn and instead used strips of knit fabric to create my flowers.
These sweet little framed flowers fit perfectly above the girls’ top bunk……and keep things clean, yet girly.
Each of the flowers are strips of knit tied together…..but each type of knit is a little different, giving each flower a different look. Oh, and those little stems are just old branches that I gathered from outside.
Such a fun focal point in the new “GIRL ROOM”. (Oh, and by the way, Elli actually loves having someone in her room at night. After they’ve gone to bed, I frequently hear her reading books to Chloe, singing songs, and chit-chatting with her little sister. I think she’s learning about the “perks” of sharing a room. Whew. Now, if I could just get her to ignore the times when Chloe puts pink lip gloss on her dolls or cuts/colors on her art projects. Ack.)
And for only taking about an hour to put all 3 together, it was the perfect afternoon project!
**Oh, and if you scroll down to the very bottom of this post, you can check out with the other “Michaels Makers” created for this first challenge. So many great projects!
And in case you’d like to make my bigger version…….or use knit fabric strips instead of yarn, here’s how I made mine –
- 3 11×14 Beadboard Frames
- 3 Bud Vases (7.5 inches tall)
- Weldbond Adhesive
- Knit Fabric (I cut up old Tshirts)
- 8-10 inch long Twigs
- Hot Glue
- Thread (heavy duty, quilting)
The instructions on the Michaels site (linked above), instructed you to buy those thin canvases and to attach the burlap to one of those. However, if you use one of those, you may not be able to fit the back panel on the frame again (because it will be too thick) and that’s where my hooks were to hang on the wall. So, I decided to attach my burlap right to the back panel. And to do this, I just used hot glue around the edges of the burlap and kept it pulled nice and tight. (Just be sure that your burlap is placed wider than the opening of the frame.)
Then, I put the back of the frame in place and made sure it fit well and none of the burlap edges were showing, etc. Then, I placed a thick line of Weldbond to one side of a vase and placed it downt onto the burlap, pressing it down firmly, so that it would seep through the burlap and also attach to the frame back. I positioned the vase about an inch from the bottom of the frame opening, and centered it from the left and right.
Then, I repeated with the other 2 frames. Now, about this Weldbond stuff…….I had never used this particular adhesive before but I wanted to give it a try (since it was recommended for this project). It’s supposed to weld to any type of surface, so I figured it would work great. I usually use epoxy for everything but this stuff is non-toxic and doesn’t smell. At all. So, I think I have a new favorite heavy-duty adhesive. (However, it does take longer to dry……but will eventually turn clear. So, don’t worry.)
Then, cut long strips of knit fabric.
Your particular knit may take on a different shape if pulled and stretched out. The green knit curled up and looked kinda cool, so I went with it.
Group them all together and then tie heavy-duty thread around the center and pull TIGHT. Tie several knots and snip off the thread ends.
Repeat with 2 other knit colors. (Also, you may have uneven ends. Trim as needed.)
Then, slide a twig in towards the center of your flower and use hot glue to secure in place.
Once the glue on the vases have dried, hang each frame on your wall and add flowers.
And that’s it.
Really simple wall art.
**Don’t forget to check out the other Michaels Makers creations.