Brazilian Coconut Truffles (aka Beijinhos)

This post was written by my foodie sister Robin, who is now sharing all of her favorite recipes and kitchen tips regularly on the new “Make It and Love It – in the KITCHEN” portion of this blog. Try a few of her recipes…your belly will thank you! -Ashley

. . . . .

Ashley and I are the youngest of 7 children.  I am number 6 and Ashley is number 7.  (Yeah, she’s the rotten baby of the family, don’t let her fool ya!  Haha.)  Number 5 of the family is our sister April.  She lives in Alaska too (like I do) and is married to Ben, who is a die-hard soccer fan. Ben has been anticipating this year’s World Cup for quite a while.  (Viva la USA….did you see them win yesterday?)  In fact, he planned a trip to Brazil with two other buddies, so they could experience much of the action up close.  (I know, pretty lucky guys!)  For the past month or so, he has been so excited watching old soccer highlights, sharing his plans for which games he will be going to, telling us all which cities he’ll be at, which jerseys he wants to purchase, and you know …. bragging about all the yummy food he’ll eat!  Grrrr…..I so wish I could go!

However, to join the excitement, I wanted to celebrate the thrill of the World Cup by sharing these little guys — Brazilian Coconut Truffles.  Or, better know as Beijinhos (pronounced in English bay-jee-nohs).

Brazilian Coconut Truffle Balls (aka Beijinhos).  ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS!!! --- Make It and Love It (in the KITCHEN)

Hey, they are round like little soccer balls, right?  And they’re Brazilian.  Aaaaaand……..well, okay, I can’t really make any more connections with the World Cup, but that is enough right? Ha.

Normally they are a coconut-y, caramel-y-ish round ball of goodness, covered with a little bit more coconut. But I also wanted to try the option of covering them in chocolate.  So that is why you see a few covered in chocolate.  Trust me…..totally worth the effort!

Here is the thing.  I am a coconut fan and the closest equivalent would probably be the macaroon.  However, you know how macaroons are, well, dry?  Every time I make one or pass one by at a specialty bakery, I always think “maybe this one will be better” —only to be disappointed.  Never again.  From now on, I will never eat a macaroon again, because now I know that these little nuggets of coconut gold exist.  Seriously.

One more thing……these little treasures only require 3 ingredients.  That’s it!!  For being so simple, they really shouldn’t be this delicious, but I’m telling you, these are a MUST TRY!

Mmmmmm—yummy little Beijinhos!  Get in my belly!!

So here is what you need for about 20 balls.

Shopping List:

• 1 – 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (plus 1/4 – 1/2 cup more to cover the balls)
  • 1 Tbs butter

If you want to cover yours in chocolate, you’ll also need (for about 10 of the balls):

• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
  • optional: kosher salt for chocolate garnish

DSC_3307

Yep that’s it.  That is all.  Such a yummy treat… and a lovely little truffle gift to give to a friend.

Here we go.

Put the butter, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut in a sauce pan.

DSC_3374

Stir that in and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.  (10-15 minutes starts when you put the pan on the stove and then turn on the heat, not 10-15 minutes of boiling)

OK I will preface this next picture.  I could not get good lighting since I had a combo of flourenscent and incandescent lighting near the stove.  I was able to fix the incandescent, but the flourescent I was not victorious.  SO it gave a green tinge to the mixture but really it is light tan.  Sorry….still learning the camera.  But I wanted to include this so you could see what it looks like when it’s ready.

DSC_3384

You see how it is pulling away into ball instead of liquid oozing around?  This tells you that it is done and ready to pull off the heat to cool. Smear it around on a cookie sheet either lined with parchment paper or just very lightly buttered.  The bigger you can spread it around the faster it can cool.

DSC_3391

When it is cool start making little balls.  I use the smaller cookie scoop that makes them into approx. 1 1/4 inch balls.

DSC_3412

Now, you can roll each of the balls around in coconut…

-OR-

…you can make the dipping chocolate and cover them in Chocolate.

To make the chocolate,heat your cream to scalding.  Heat an empty glass microwave-safe bowl in the micro wave for about a few minutes.  Then add your chocolate chips and cream to this hot bowl.

DSC_3430

Mix together until melted and smooth.  If you have a few lumps that is not melted all the way, place in the microwave for 10 second increments, stirring in between until smooth.  The cream is what will make the chocolate have a beautiful shiny finish to it.

DSC_3436

Now, dip your balls in the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to harden.  At this point you can sprinkle a little kosher salt over the tops if you so choose before it hardens. I am a little impatient and I like to pop the pan in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.  The nice thing is that because of the added cream, the chocolate won’t turn dull. (See how shiny these are below?  Believe it or not, these are hardened and ready to pull off the pan.)

DSC_3450

….. and that is it.  You are done, as quick as a jackrabbit!

I’m serious, macaroons will never cross these lips again—EVER.  These are the way they should be…not sure why they aren’t.  Wanna start a revolution with me?  At least our bellies will be happy!

Enjoy!

-Robin

Filed under Desserts, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

26 Responses to “Brazilian Coconut Truffles (aka Beijinhos)”
    Heather says:

Holy coconut! I am making these today!! Thanks for the recipe!

Susan M. says:

There goes that daggumed diet — AGAIN! For a gal who’s convinced that coconut is it’s own special food group, these are right up my alley. And covered in chocolate? Shoot, doesn’t get any better than this! Thanks so much for sharing … Go USA!

Robin says:

Yikes, sorry to break the diet. I love coconut and chocolate, just so tempting. I’ve got a shout going your way.

Sharon says:

I did not need to see this super easy recipe today, off to the kitchen I go………….sigh

Robin says:

Yikes! The nice thing with these is if you are told the last minute you have to bring a dessert (ie: from kids or hubby or boyfriend etc), you can make these in no time flat.

Julia says:

YUM! Looks delish. And as always, I love your dinnerware. :)

Robin says:

Thanks! These are my sister’s dishes here. All my stuff is in storage waiting to be brought up on a barge from Seattle.

elisana says:

Yay! Beijinhos are delish! Not sure you know this, but the word BEIJINHO means “little kiss” – they are certainly sweet as such!

Since Brazil is playing today, I can’t think of a better excuse to make them…. well, I actually can: heck, I’m Brazilian and I haven’t had my fair share of beijinhos since moving to NY!

Thanks for the sweet memories they bring!

Robin says:

Love love love. I LOVE that they mean “little kiss”! From my Argentine Spanish background, it would sound like “little beauties” to me…. this is BETTER.

These are little gems from Brazil that I love.

A shout out to Brazil as they play today!

Erica G says:

I don’t remember how I came across your site but I’m glad I did :) not a huge coconut fan but my husband is! I think I will definitely try it rolled in chocolate instead of the flakes.. love the flavor just not the dried texture! Good luck getting your belongings barged up to alaska!

Leigh says:

They look delicious, but I’m super annoyed that you took photos of them/ingredients on the ground outside. Why waste/ruin food like that just for a photo?

Gracie says:

The picture looks like her countertop- I know my countertop looks like that…I would highly doubt she would put her desserts on the ground!

• 7.1.1
        Christina says:

Ya, they’re totally on the ground, as you can see by the green in the back and the crack in the concrete. Ah well, there’s like a 60 sec rule, totally enought time to take a quick pic. I tried these today and I wasn’t thrilled. I didn’t like the texture or flavour. I used sweetened coconut ’cause that’s all I had. Maybe that did it?

sarah says:

Who says they didn’t eat it? Do you know how much it rains in Juneau? The ground outside is probably as clean as most countertops.

Gracie says:

Oh! And I made these today , and they are SO delicious- thank you for the recipe, Robin! :-)

Sarah R says:

My husband spent a few years in Brazil before we were married. Most of the food he tells me about from there is difficult for me to make (mostly because I do not know what it is supposed to look like and I don’t know how to make beans!) but these look so easy. I think I will whip some up and surprise him.

Melane says:

Oh my goodness!!! These and Brigadeiro were my two indulgences while I was in Brazil!!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I have been wanting it for years!

Katie says:

These look amazing. Best part- no one else in this house likes coconut!!! We are in AK too!! Hope you are enjoying the summer and nonstop daylight :)

Luciana says:

This also makes an amazing cake filling if you stop cooking while it’s still creamy just enough to see the bottom of the pan when you scrape the spoon. Fill a moist chocolate cake with it and cover with the chocolate version (brigadeiro), we call it “Prestigio” (our version of the Bounty bar) cake.

Hi! First time here! Nice to see a brazilian famous sweet! Do you know what beijinho means?! It’s “little kisses” in portuguese!

Beijinhos to you,
    Viviane Basile

Instagram: @ateliebasile

It´s so nice to see a brazilian thing in a blog that I love. (I´m Brazilian, living in Brasil). You should try BRIGADEIRO. It´s the same process that beijinho, but take off the coconut and put 2 spons of chocolate or cocoa or Nescau (not sure exist Nescau in USA). So, Brigadeiro it´s something we always make specially in birthday parts and PMS period (lol). Sorry my bad english, hope you understand.

Chelsea says:

I have a few questions to clarify. I tried this tonight and I don’t think it turned out right as it had the sticky texture of a soft caramel instead of a fluffy truffle. I used all three exact ingredients, real butter, sweetened condensed milk (it was expired by 5 months, not sure if that matters) and unsweetened shredded coconut. I am wondering about the heat level, should it be heated on low, med or high and should I have put a lid on or not stirred it throughout? I was at about 19 minutes of cooking on low/med and it still wasn’t pulling into a ball.
    I would love to figure this out and try again. Also, a weird note, it smelled just like macaroni and cheese when I was cooking it. I was thinking it and then my 5 year-old said it. Maybe it was the condensed milk. That’s my second time ever using condensed milk so I don’t know if it was ok. Sorry for the novel and thank you for the awesome food ideas you share!

renata ferreira says:

Hi there ,i am brazilian and i love this “beijinhos “,loved the ideia covering them with chocolate .i also do a sweet called “olho de sogra”,translating “mother -in -law eyes”,you can use de same recipe and molde them as a yes in the midle put one or half dried plum ,the flavour is marvelous .all the best

renata ferreira says:

Hi again it can be done in a microwave too ,about 10 minutes or 6 minutes .xx

Summer says:

I was excited to try these, everything Robin makes looks fabulous. Couldn’t find unsweetened coconut so I used sweetened. I couldn’t get the coconut to adhere to the balls. Is the sweetened more moist? Any suggestions? I’d love to try it again.