My Book: “NO-SEW LOVE” (…I can’t believe it’s DONE!)

I have been talking about this book I have been writing for months and months.  Aaaaand months.  Remember how it was my secret little project that I worked on all last spring, most of the summer, okay….and most of the fall too?  Who am I kidding…..I worked on it all Winter and bits and pieces of spring too.  Those edits caused 10 pounds of pure chocolate weight gain, I swear. :)

Haha…..but it’s been an incredible experience too.  Working with an agent, a publisher, a designer, an editor.  Wow, so much to learn.  I can’t believe my part is truly done though.  Now, we just wait while it’s printed.  Did you know it takes 3 months to print your finished book?  I’m sure they must be hand painting my cover. ;)  Haha, not really.  But August 5th is the big day.  Which is also our 9th wedding anniversary.  Good day, eh?  (Oh, and it’s only 2 weeks after this baby boy of ours is due. Who’s idea was it to have these 2 babies arrive around the same time?  Ack!)

But anyway, that’s the boring stuff (…unless it interests you. Because if it does, I can totally leak the nitty gritty of book publishing.  It actually is kinda interesting.)  But, look out friends, I FINALLY get to share more about this book!  And what it’s about.  And what kind of projects you can find inside.  Ack………I’m so excited!!!!

But here she is, in all her little book-bound glory: No-Sew Love

NoSewLove front cover

Yep, 50 COMPLETE PROJECTS…….and they’re all NO-SEW!

And here’s the back cover of “No-Sew Love”:

NoSewLove back cover

Wait, what?!?!  The majority of the projects on this site use a sewing machine and I wrote a WHOLE BOOK that doesn’t involve one single thread?

Ha.  I know.  The idea was a little crazy at first (considering my love for my sewing machine) but the more I got thinking about it, the more I fell in love with the concept.  Because I wanted a book full of true NO-SEW projects……not “low-sew” or “sometimes you’ll need a needle and thread“.

So…….I kinda fell in love with the challenge.  There are plenty of sewing books out there—so I really wanted to design and construct items that you would normally sew, but you could ditch the needles and thread.  So no, not a bunch of art projects, home decor, or canvas paintings.  I wanted real projects that you would normally have to pull out the sewing machine for.  So I started thinking and drafting and collecting ideas……and oh, they just wouldn’t stop.  My excitement and adrenaline took over.  30 project ideas turned into 40, which turned into 45 ideas, and then finally 50 ideas made the cut!  And I created them all with the the following people in mind:

• those who don’t sew (but would really like to add special handmade items to their home, wardrobe, decor, etc.)
  • those who are learning to sew, but don’t love their technique
  • those who hate hauling out their machine, supplies, etc
  • those who want a little change of pace
  • those who want to coordinate a nice group project, but don’t have access to (or outlets for) 12 sewing machines
  • those who are waiting for their sewing machine to be serviced
  • okay, anyone! :)

Yeah, that includes a whole lot of people.  But even for those who love to sew (like me!), sometimes I don’t want to bother.  So these projects turned out to be really fun for me to make.

no-sew-love-book-1

::: throw pillow ::: reversible table runner :::

And I bet you’re wondering if it’s just a whole lot of fabric, hot-glued together.  Nope.  This isn’t a hot-glue-gun book either (though it is used from time to time).  I used a variety of different adhesives and techniques to avoid sewing……and even share my favorite brands that I’ve tested and worked with and fell in LOVE with.  There are some definite winners, but also some brands that don’t hold anything together at all.  Ugggh.  But I talk all about that in the book.

no-sew-love-book-4

no-sew-love-book-2

::: tote ::: boy’s bowtie ::: girl’s skirt :::

“No-Sew Love” has 6 different chapters: Home Decor, Kids, Accessories, Clothing, Holiday, and Re-purposing……so no matter what your interests/needs are, I’ve got you covered!

no-sew-love-book-3

no-sew-love-book-5

::: woven clutch ::: pacifier clip ::: fabric mobile :::

Anyway, thanks for your excitement, your really sweet emails, your encouragement, etc.  Even though the blog had a few dry-spells over the past year and my children ate cereal many nights for dinner (and my poor bathrooms were neglected, uggh)…..everyone has been so supportive.  Let me tell you, I have gotten so many virtual high-fives—it’s unreal!  So thank you!  Oh, and that husband of mine (remember that Steve guy?)…….he needs his own little vacation for hanging in there through all of this.

Gimme a second while I Iet out one big ol’ sigh of relief!  So happy to see this whole concept come together as one complete book.  Ahhhhhh……it’s FINISHED!

And yeah, with that excitement comes a few nerves.  Okay, a lot of nerves.  But I really hope you like it.  After all, I created it with all of you in mind!

Anyway, I’ll keep you posted with more book info as I hear.  My very own copy is on its way.  Can’t wait! :)

-Ashley

Filed under Crafts, Sewing, & Home Decor, No-Sew-Love Book, Random

Comments

72 Responses to “My Book: “NO-SEW LOVE” (…I can’t believe it’s DONE!)”
    Hannah B says:

On August 5th I turn 30. Congratulations on the countdown! Super excited for you, both on the book & baby! I know we will love hearing about both!

Emilie says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! It’s here. YOUR book!!!! I am just so happy for you to see this dream come to life. Well, done, my friend, well freakin’ done!

Congrats! The book looks amazing and I can’t wait to buy it :).

Maria says:

Oh I am so excited and so anxious to be able to get your book when it comes out!!! August 5th is my hubby’s birthday, but I’m sure I’ll be able to talk him into getting the book as a present for me on his birthday, hehe. I’m just learning to sew, and sometimes I just get so frustrated, so it will be great to have some other options. Congratulations on the book! I know it will be a great hit! So ready to see it all nice and shiny!

Oh and by the way, will there be a digital version? Because I would love to be able to have it on my iPhone as well… just in case.

Congrats again!

Hahaha……it’ll be a gift to him to see you happy, right?!

And I’m not sure about the digital version. The publisher is working out all of those details….so I won’t know for another month or so.

But thanks for your excitement Maria! :)

Congratulations! What a great book idea! I can’t wait to see it! Good luck with everything in the coming months!

Lora Cotton says:

CONGRATS!!!! How VERY EXCITING!! Not only for you, but for all of us “lazy” crafters who LOVE NO SEW projects!!!! Can’t wait to learn when and where I can get my own copy!!!!

Haha, thanks so much Lora! I’ll know more book details in another month…..and then you bet, I’ll spill all! :) (And thanks for your excitement!!!)

renee says:

I am so happy for you and so excited about your book! You are the only blogger I’ve ever followed because not only do I love your creativity, but I love that your personality is revealed in your writing style. I always feel like we’re two old gal pals chatting it up when I read your posts! God bless you and your growing fam!

Awww, I love this Renee! And I totally get what you’re saying…..because I feel the same way about so many readers and even bloggers who I’ve never met. If only there was a room large enough to hold us all! :)

Thanks so much for the love!

Kristina Noall says:

That’s totally how I feel, too! I just mourn the fact that we can’t live in the same neighborhood :) Congrats on the book, Ashley! I am so impressed–and baffled as to how you could not only come up with 50 new projects, but also make those things WITHOUT SEWING?! HUBBA–WHAAA???? :) I can’t wait to hear more–especially since my sewing machine had to be left behind when we moved three weeks ago (along with a piece of my heart :’( ). Again, you are just amazing!

Sharlyn says:

Congrats on your book! That’s fabulous!!

Virginie says:

Congrats on your book Ashley! It’s fantastic! Thanks for everything you do for us!

Stacey says:

So happy for you! What an accomplishment — a published author!!! Congrats.

Danielle says:

I am sooooo excited about this!!! Congrats on the awesome book! These projects totally look like you used a sewing machine, so I can’t wait to see how you did it. If I don’t get this book before hand, it’ll definitely go on my Christmas list!

Lynette says:

I read the title of the post and was like, “WHAT?!?! No sew?! How could she come up with THAT many ideas?!” I think this is just so cool! Everything looks like it’s been sewn, so I’m very excited to see how you do all these projects. Congrats on the book, I’m so excited for you!

Dorienne says:

Ashely, I am beyond excited for you. I’ve been following you from the beginning. You have been a big inspiration to me.

Jen says:

I am so stinking excited for your book!!!! I don’t sew – so this is PERFECT for me. You are awesome!!!

Diane W says:

Ha.. I first thought ‘hmmm. No sew’. Ill not be interested. Then the sneak peaks…um. ill be buying one. Looks like some awesome gifts.

I know, right? I would have thought the same thing. But there’s something kinda fun about not hauling out the sewing machine! :)

Thanks so much Diane!

bekah says:

Wow! Amazing!!! Can’t wait to see it all, the projects look great, and super real-life usable! I’m sure you’ll do some kind of book tour or something… I’d love to participate. CONGRATS!!!

Gillian Cunningham Wright says:

Congratulations Ashley how fabulous to have written a book, so jealous! As a very novice but enthusiastic to learn sewing fabric goodies newbie, I think I must have your book as soon as it’s available!

Annie says:

Congratulations on your book! “No Sew” caught me by surprise, but I am thinking maybe you have some projects I can work with my kid. Sneak peeks look wonderful!

Katie says:

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I don’t sew but I love reading your blog. I always think maybe one day I will get a sewing machine so I can actually make some things. I will definitely be buying this book. SO excited!

Christina Malcolm says:

How awesome! Can’t wait for your book! And our 9 year wedding anniversary is August 5 as well!

jeri johnston says:

When do we get our signed copy? Cant wait to see it. You go girl!

Jennifer says:

Book sounds fun – especially for a classroom art program!!!
    August 5 is our 37th anniversary!!

Colette says:

So excited for you and me! Can’t wait to get it!

cucicucicoo says:

Oh WOW, Ashley! What an amazing idea to make a book on no-sew ideas! I’ve never seen a book like that and I bet it’ll have a good market for all the people who don’t know how to sew very well (if at all) or are afraid to. And the projects looks so great. I’m so curious to see the book because I can’t imagine how you managed to do some of those projects without thread! Congratulations! :) Lisa

katy says:

Congrats Ashley! I am sure we will all love it just as we love everything you and the other contributors have posted on this blog! Thanks for sharing so much of your talents with us!!

Bonnie Ditto says:

Already want one!!! Will your loyal fans get early copies????

Congratulations! I’m actually only 15 but I’ve been following your blog for more than a year and have even tried some of your projects. I love to sew and craft and you provide really easy tutorials to follow so this book sounds very exciting- well done for completing it!

Sarah says:

Congratulations on the book, it looks great. And lots of luck handling the onslaught with a newborn!!

Beverly says:

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. The book looks like it will be a really fun one. I love your blog and I’m sure I’ll love the book as well!

August 5 is my baby’s birthday! (Well, my oldest baby – he’ll be 17! Not sure where all the time went!)

Lisa says:

Congratulations! I’m curious to see how you did all the “No Sew” projects. Did you use a serger? I have a dream to write a book, but it won’t be about sewing. Can’t wait to see it in person.

Megan W. says:

Congratulations! And that little tie is just beckoning to me as I was cursing myself through hand-sewing an absolutely adorable Easter tie…

Emma says:

Eek exciting, Well done, I bet it will be amazing just like this site :)
    I hope I can buy it in Australia :)

Gina says:

Yay!!!!!
    Congratulations :). I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!!!!

Jo Weston says:

Sounds fantastic. I really hope we will be able to buy it in New Zealand. You have lots of followers here. Love your work. X

PJ says:

I want to hear about the publishing process with your book! I would love you to write a post about the most interesting things you learned about the entire process from getting a contract and concept to printing. I think it would be especially interesting since it is a how-to, craft sort of book. By the way, are you doing a book tour?

Irena says:

Congratulations. A no sew book. A new challenge just what. Need thank you. As will be looking after dear old dad and no sewing machine in sight. Looking forward to this

Emma says:

Congrats! I am so excited for you!! :) I can’t wait to get my hands on my very own copy of the book.

Daniela says:

Congrats on your book! It looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to start making those projects (specially the beautiful clutch :))

Kate says:

So, can we pre-order your beautiful book?

Suzette says:

Congrats! I’ve only been following you for the last few months but love your tutorials and can’t wait for the book. I absolutely would pre-order your book! I want to know I can get it. Hee hee.

Kim says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I look forward to your book coming hot off the presses! From what I’ve heard about the book publishing process, this truly will be like having two babies at once (although of course the book can’t hold a candle to your precious baby boy!). So happy for you :)

Ima says:

Hey Ashley,

I need help in writing a book. Can you share with every detail in new post? Thanks! :)

Summer says:

That’s wonderful!! Congratulations Ashley! So excited for you, and totally love the book concept.

Jennifer says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see how you did some of those projects. They look amazing!

Anita says:

Congratulations. The book looks amazing. Idea about no thread and needle projects are exciting.
    I would like to say that your blog is wonderful. I am inspired by your posts and I am excited how beautiful things can be created in a simple ways.
    Will your book be available world wide?

Estrella says:

Wow!! It looks fantastic!! I’m eager to put my hands on it! :) Do you think that most of the projects could be done with a group of teenagers?

Congrats for the project!!

Samantha says:

So, I will admit, I have wondered a few times in the past why I follow this blog- I can’t sew to save my life (ummm, my husband has to thread my machine for me whenever I do get the crazy urge to actually use it…) and I always end up wishing that I could actually make all the cute things you make!! But even though I lack the skill to duplicate your projects, I keep coming back because everything is so cute and it does inspire me to want to learn and improve even if I’m not there yet. And I just love your personality and cute photos. :) Anyway, I am so excited to know that your book will be filled with things that I CAN make! Woohoo! Love it! Congrats on creating another amazing project, you deserve all the success in the world!

Emily says:

This is so exciting and I love the title of your book. I have tagged so many of your items over the last two years that I have desired to make, but just have not made the time (And, I am intimidated by figuring out how to thread into the machine, so this book sounds perfect!!!) Congrats on getting published!!

Chelsea says:

I saw this for pre order on amazon in paper back will there be a hard back copy also? Im so excited for this book can’t wait until its available!!

Delight says:

I’m SO stinkin excited for you Ashley! I have loved your site from the beginning and can’t wait to get my hands on your book and try some non-sew stuff. I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover, but I can’t help it and yours looks amazing! lol

Jennifer says:

August 5th is our 37th anniversary and my son’s 8th anniversary – great day!!
    Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy and your book!!!