25+ Modern Quilting Ideas

For some reason, I have this strange itch to quilt.  I guess it’s because of this baby boy who’s coming……but I can’t shake it.  Usually, I’m not big into quilting because, well, it takes so dang long.  I wanna start a project and then bing-bang-boom……be done!  However, baby quilts are a lot less work and the satisfaction comes more quickly.  And then, you know the whole baby thing and that crazy nesting thing and anticipation of meeting him thing.  So, I guess, that’s where the itch is coming from.

So, I’ve been browsing the internet for ideas……and my word, I have found so much to get excited about.

And yes, I love a good classic quilt block but I love all of these modern twists on quilting that I’m seeing lately.  Sometimes it’s not even the construction that makes the quilt a bit modern, it’s the fabric choice.  I’m loving it ALL!

Are you into quilting?  Or maybe you’ve been wanting to try?  I dare you to take a look at these and not get all excited in your belly about gathering some quilting supplies…….

25+ Modern Quilting Ideas...so much inspiration! --- Make It and Love It

…check these out!

Chevron Quilt by Blue Elephant Stitches

XO Quilt by Canoe Ridge Creations

Baby Life Quilt by Moda Bakeshop (and V and Co)

Ombre Strip Quilt by A Little Gray

Square Baby Quilt by Home + Away With Lisa

Grey Skies Quilt by The Vintage Clothespin

Strip and Flip Baby Quilt by Cluck Cluck Sew

Houndstooth Quilt by V and Co

Little X Quilt by A Little Sweetness

Petal Shape Quilt by ModaLissa

Sweet and Sassy Baby Quilt by Cluck Cluck Sew

The Colorblock Quilt by Bijou Lovely

Windy Days Quilt by Moda Bakeshop (and SarahB Designs)

Plus Sign Quilt by Little Birdie Secrets

Scrap Map Quilting by See Kate Sew

Mod Chevron Baby Quilt by Generation Q

To The Point Quilt by V and Co

The Scrappy Lone Star Quilt by Better Off Thread

Geometric Quilt by Art Gallery Fabrics

Puffy Island Quilt by Honeybear Lane

Queen Baby Quilt by Handmade By Alissa

Sunset Strip Quilt by Garnet Hill (this is a quilt to purchase but is great inspiration)

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 7.30.21 AM

Ziggy Quilt Tutorial by Quackadoodle Quilt

Love Squared by Fort Worth Fabric Studio

Churn Dash Block Quilt by Love To Sew

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 8.04.19 AM

Patchwork Chevron by Moda Bakeshop (and Jeni from In Color Order)

Filed under Baby, Featured, Round Up, Sewing

Comments

25 Responses to “25+ Modern Quilting Ideas”
    British American says:

This is very helpful – thank you! I made my 3 year old a squares quilt and now my 2 older kids want quilts too. So I’ve been looking up ideas and tutorials to see if I can make something a little different. The “Square Baby Quilt by Home + Away With Lisa” link is great – I had no idea that that was how you made that design. I thought you had to cut out strips, rather than just squares.

SONI says:

thanks for sharing the ideas:) going to try one for my friend babie..
    love the collection of quilts u shared!!!

Robin says:

Ahhh these are so cute. These make me want to quilt as well! These would be nice to have a few done and have a stash built up for when relatives’ and friends’ babies are born.

Preethi says:

Wow nice collections you have shared here.

Tina says:

Baby rag quilts are fast and fun too!

PlumDoolally says:

Ashley, how did you know I’ve been thinking about making a special ‘grown-up-girl’ quilt for my daughter??!! I made baby quilts for both she and my son years back, but now I want to make bigger ones for their bigger beds, so thanks so much for the inspiration. I’ve had a couple of months where everything conspires against me getting to the sewing machine, but your lovely blog has kept me in touch with my crafting side – so never underestimate the power of your posts! Thanks, and all the best to you and yours!
    Jx

alice s. says:

Have you considered doing a rag quilt? I just made one for my daughter with flannel strips (not squares). (I used flannel for all three layers.) It’s very un-fussy and it goes quick and it’s darling when finished. Easy to do in one day. You can use as many or few as you want. Lots of cute ideas on pinterest.

Victoria Guthrie says:

This sounds amazing I am a beginner would this be difficult ????? for me ‘
      Cheers

• 7.1.1
        Victoria Guthrie says:

I am in Australia ……… as i am down at sea side town would love to make beach colours in this .
        Cheers

Emily says:

I made the “Windy Days” quilt pattern – she had a tutorial she posted on Moda Bakeshop. I loved it!

katiasafia says:

thanks Ashley for tis ideas

katiasafia says:

merci beaucoup pour tous ces modèles du patchwork

Amelia P says:

I made a quite for my first child, and immediately swore off quilting anymore. Haha! But then, about two months later, I wanted to make another one. I just finished my second quilt, for my second child, and I am getting ready to make a strip quilt that kind of looks like the Garnet Hill one up there, but I’m kind of just going to make up my own pattern, and add a few strips of ruched fabric. Hopefully it’ll turn out! Thanks for all the other ideas! Looks like I’ll have to add a few more quilts to my never ending craft list!

Becky says:

Thanks for sharing! We have a couple girls and found out a couple weeks ago that we have a boy I the way! I’ve been thinking about his blanket I want to make but hadn’t done the research yet…. And good thing I didn’t since you did it for me! There are two up there that I’ll ask my hubby to choose from! Eek! Excited!

Cynthia says:

that’s so cool! i do love it so! thanks for sharing, Ashley :)

Grammie Annie says:

I quilt a good bit but you keep my spirits up just to see all you do! Thanks

leah says:

anyone have any luck following the link (or web searching) for Better Off Thread and the scrappy star quilt? I’d love to get my hands on that tutorial but the website seems to not exist any more. Would appreciate any help if you’ve been able to find it. Thanks!

Sorry Leah, the link worked back when I put this list together. It looks like her site is down. None of the links back to her site are working……so sorry about that! Maybe it will come back up eventually?

Rachel says:

These ideas were totally inspiring! I made one of them on a day off. I posted about it on my blog here: http://www.silverbobs.com/blog/?p=392
    Thanks for sharing these. They were exactly what I needed to get my creative juices going and to get me at my sewing machine again, after a very long hiatus.