The Reversible Bag…for kids!

So excited to have Kristin from Grandma’s Chalkboard here again today, contributing these darling Reversible Kid Bags.  What child would not FLIP for one of these! :)

-Ashley

. . . . .

Want to know what’s even better than a cute, brightly-colored bag sized just right for your little sweeties? Yep, that’s right, an equally adorable bag that is REVERSIBLE!

Let’s face it, a girl likes options. And I’m excited to be here today sharing a tutorial for that cute little bag, just in time for Spring.

DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

The real fun of this project comes when you hand this bag to a child and show them how it turns ‘inside’ out. My four year old thought this was the best thing EVER! He was so proud of ‘his’ bag (which happened to be pink with butterflies and hearts) and had to show everyone how it worked. Haha, don’t worry, I have a boy version in the works!  My six year old loves her bag too. This pattern is a keeper!

DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

And since they are so quick to make, they are great little gifts!  Or you could make a bunch for birthday party favors.

DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

Want to make one? Great, let’s get started!

Supplies:

• 1/3 yard of outer fabric
  • 1/3 yard of inner fabric
  • interfacing (optional)…(more on interfacing here)
  • coordinating thread

The funnest part of this bag is definitely picking out the fabric. I chose to use a twill fabric since twill is a little thicker than a standard quilter’s cotton, and will give the bag just the right amount of stiffness. A medium weight home-decor fabric will work nicely too, and you should be able to find a good selection at most fabric stores.  If you find a fabric you love and it’s not quite sturdy enough, consider using interfacing to stiffen up your fabric.  (More on interfacing HERE.)

I knew I wanted polka dots (I’m slightly addicted to them) and found just the right fabric at Fabric.com.

The pattern for this bag is really basic. Follow the photo below to create your own paper pattern.

Fold your fabric and place the pattern on the fold. Cut two from each fabric.

After cutting, the ‘body’ of the bag will look a lot like a trapezoid.

You’ll also need to cut a strip of each fabric for the strap, measuring 2.5 inches wide by 24 inches long.

Place your main body fabric pieces together, with right sides together, for each of your fabric colors.

Starting at the top, sew down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side of the bag body using a .25 inch seam allowance. Leave the top open. Sew the other set of fabric the same way. We will sew the strap together in just a little bit!

Now, we are going to make the bag have a squared base by pushing the corners out to create a point and sewing straight across. This will make the base of the bag like a box so it can stand on its own.

Put your hand into the bag body and push the corner out. With your hands outside of the purse, line up the side seam with the bottom seam, making a point.

Sew across the point, creating an extra flap of fabric.

My line of stitching was approximately 2.5 inches long.  Go ahead and cut off the extra.

Repeat this step for each corner, until all 4 corners are boxed. Here is what it will look like right side out!

Turn the main body pieces inside out again and press the top edges down .5 inch, as shown.  Set aside.

Now, let’s get the strap ready now. Place your strap pieces right sides together, and sew down one side, using a .5 inch seam allowance. Iron open.

Fold the outside edges of each fabric in a half an inch and press.

Now fold the strap in half lengthwise, meeting up the two pressed edges. Press.

Pin if desired, then top-stitch along both of the long edges of the strap. (I love using my blind-hem foot to ensure my top-stitching is straight.)

As you can see, these bags come together pretty quickly. We are almost done!  Slide one of the bags into the other so all the seams are sandwiched between the layers.

Line up the side seams and pin the tops of the bags together so the top edges meet evenly.  Slide the ends of the handle between the layers of the 2 fabric layers, at both side seams of the bag.  (Let each handle end hang about 1/2 inch towards the inside of the bag layers.)   Pin those in place too.

Don’t forget to make sure your strap is in there straight, with the seam of the bag lining up with the middle of the strap on both sides.

Top stitch around the top of the bag and you are done!

DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

Turn your bag inside out (or right side out??) and check out the other color.

Hope you have as much fun making these as I have!

DIY Reversible Bag...for kids! --- Make It and Love It

Thanks so much for letting me share this project with you!

-Kristin

kristin blog contributor

Check out Kristin’s blog, her darling shop, her Facebook page, and her Pinterest boards.

Filed under Accessory, Children, Featured, Gift Ideas, Sewing

Comments

40 Responses to “The Reversible Bag…for kids!”
    Frambooske says:

I like this!! I was looking for a pattern for a little bag, my first attempt. Thank you!

Anne says:

What a fun little bag!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

Laurie Nielson says:

Can’t wait to make these for all my little grand daughters for Easter ! Thank you so much!

PlumDoolally says:

Hi from the UK! This is such a cute bag, I can see myself making some for the little girls I know, AND for the not-so-little ones too! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Marie says:

Cute Cute Cute!!! Thanks!

christel says:

I love making purses and bags. This is adorable and I think I’ll have to expand the pattern and make it “me” sized ;)

Kristin says:

I have fabric in my stash that is screaming to be made into a ‘me’ sized bag, too! I’m thinking I’ll add some flat pockets and some zippered compartments! So glad you love it.

• 6.1.1
        christel says:

pockets! zippers! oh my :) I bought the cutest fabric last summer, it was outdoor fabric used for furniture. So stinking cute, bright colours and chevron prints, and sturdy and washable. Gotta go. My stash is calling me

Trisha says:

These bags are so cute! I love how easy they are to make!!!!

Kimberly T. says:

So what are the finished dimensions of the bag? Just wondering if it’s big enough for scriptures but not too big. :) love your materials, they are all so cute!

Kristin says:

Kimberly, the measurements of the finished bag are approximately 7 inches in height, 9 inches long at the base, 9 inches at the top, and 2.5 inches wide. I tried to fit my set of scriptures in the bag (7.25 inches tall, 5 inches wide and 2.625 inches thick) in the bag and the bag is just barely too small! The bag would easily fit the smaller size scriptures and could easily be sized up an inch to fit the standard triple combo. Hope that info helps!

Casey says:

Will the boy version have a different strap/handle? These would be great Easter baskets! I’ll make it as is for my daughter, but it’s a little too purse-like for my little guy! Thanks for the great tutoria:)

Kristin says:

The ‘boy’ version is a reversible messenger bag…follows the same steps but the pattern doesn’t get smaller at the top and has a flap over the top of the bag. Watch for it soon!

Kristina Noall says:

Maybe if you shaped the bag more like a reusable shopping bag, it would make it sufficiently boyish. Two rectangles for the bag shape, two straps, one placed on each side.

Nicki says:

This is darling! I LOVE polka dots… I think I’m going to have to make a few of these.

Sharlyn says:

So cute! My nine year old daughter would LOVE this!

Aly says:

These are adorable, and THANK YOU for the super detailed pictures, you make it so clear & easy for a beginning sewer to follow :)

cucicucicoo says:

Such simple and cute bags and I *LOVE* them with those different colors of polka dot fabric! :) Lisa

Kate says:

So darling! You should try using Soft and Stable in them! They would look AH-MAZING!

Myrna Hammack says:

Love the bag. Perfect for my Grandbaby. Thank you so much.

Lorena says:

Ashley this tote is darling!!! I cant wait to make one for my daughter who currently has 2 favorite colors, so this will be perfect! Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial for novice sewers such as myself, it makes actually completing the project possible. As always, thank you! Love your blog!!

Kaylie Kinsey says:

I just made one a bit bigger using this tutorial as a diaper bag for my sister…it turned out adorable, I added pockets to the inside and outside and added a flap to secure the sides together…thanks so much for the easy tutorial! I was super easy to follow!

Silvia says:

Questa borsa è veramente una bomba!!! Sei bravissima!!!

Translation from Italian

This bag is really wonderfull.!!! You ‘ re really good!!!

Silvia from Italy

carol says:

love it

Heidi G says:

I just made one for my daughter with no difficulty. I’m fairly new to sewing. Next time, I’ll press the seams flat befoe sewing the bags pieces together…. just so the corners look neater. My son has been begging for a messenger bag so I’m really looking forward to your boy version! Also, the blind hem foot for topstitching was a fantastic tip. Thank you!

bekah says:

SO cute! Where did you get your fabric? LOVE the polka-dots!

Ali Nurts says:

I loved making this with my little girl today – we blogged about it too!

Ann says:

How sweet…… and such a cute gift filled with something sweet. .Thank you so much for the tutorial

Mónika says:

I loved these bags! Thank you! Here is my version, prepared last week: http://moniezmegaz.blogspot.hu/2014/04/hello-kitty.html

Sue says:

Thanks so much! Turned out very well. Made it just a titch bigger and my 6 year old niece will love it for her birthday!

Andrea says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing
    Andrea

Juli says:

This pattern IS a keeper! Made it, loved it, sooooo cute!
    Thanks for sharing!

Jacque says:

Love this, can’t wait to try it out. How do I get to see more of your patterns etc? I just love trying new things for my granddaughters.

Heidi G says:

So great! I made the as-written version for my daughter, then got adventurous. I sized it up to ~12×18″, added a zipped pocket on one side, a key fob next to one of the straps, and a closure. One closure was a button tab + a tab with a button on each side. The other was a metal clip closure. Thank you for inspiring another person new to sewing!

Debbie says:

I loved this pattern! So easy and was perfect for using up some fat quarters I had lying around. I backed all fabric pieces with Pellon SF101 to give some stiffness. I also made two shorter handles on either side of the bag instead of one longer handle. I can’t wait to make another one or two or three….

Sharon says:

Does anyone know if this can be done with 2 fat quarters? I can’t figure out if it would fit. Thanks!