Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version

I mentioned earlier this week that I completely ran out of time to make the kiddos’ Easter outfits this year.  Bummer.  I really enjoy making their holiday outfits because, hmmmmm, I don’t know why.  Maybe it’s a good excuse to make them something new?  And justifies the purchase of new fabric?  However, this year I found some really cute things at the store last minute while shopping for something else…..and just went with it.

However, I couldn’t find Connor a tie to wear with his shirt and vest.  Well, I couldn’t find one that matched while out shopping that day.  Yeah, we could have skipped it altogether but there are only so many years before he actually cares what he’s wearing.  So for now, he lets me decide. :)

So, I made him a bowtie.  And the little man loves it!

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

And it’s not a real bowtie that you tie……..it’s totally the cheater version.  With a velcro closure.  But most important…….it’s SPEEDY QUICK to make!

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

Have I ever told you that Connor is kinda nutty?  And has this bubbly giggle that is completely contagious?  All I wanted him to do was stand here and let me photograph his little bowtie…..but the kid couldn’t keep a straight face.  Soon after, we were all laughing.  Ahhhhh….this kid.  I hope he never loses that sweet laugh!

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

However, he thinks the bowtie is super cool because it’s, hmmmmm, I’m not sure why he thought it was so cool.  Probably because it was something different than the normal straight tie that he wears to church.  And you know, bowties on a little boys are kind of darling!

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

Yeah, this simple little bowtie came to the rescue for Easter this year.  In under an hour.

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

And gosh, I love that little face!

Would you like to make one too?

Okay, let’s tackle this little bowtie…

Supplies:

• 1/4 yard fabric (I used regular quilter’s cotton but you could also use satin or suiting fabric or anything you’d like, really.)
  • Velcro
  • Matching thread

**The measurements below were created for my 5 year old.  However, the same measurements would probably fit 2T-8.  Or maybe even up to a size 10.

Cut three pieces of fabric.  Your main bow piece at 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches, the neck strap at 2 x 18 inches, and the middle cinch at 2 x 3 inches.

IMG_2958

Fold each piece in half lengthwise (with right sides together) and stitch along the raw edges, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

IMG_2964

Turn each piece right side out and iron flat.  The seam can go along the center of the back side of each piece.  (Need help turning a tube right side out?)

IMG_2972

Grab the large bowtie piece and fold it in half width-wise and sew the two raw ends together, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

IMG_2981

Turn this fabric right side out and flatten.  Center the seam along the middle of the back side and open up the 1/4 inch raw edges on the inside and lay them flat.

IMG_2983

Pinch the middle of this fabric, right along that centered seam…..creating a sort of accordion fold.  Thread a needle and wrap some thread around the middle to cinch it in tight and knot the thread ends with your needle, nice and snug to the center of the bow.

IMG_2990

Place the neck strap along the back of the bow and wrap more thread around the middle, securing the neck strap in place.

IMG_2993

Now, place one end of the center cinch piece on the back of the bowtie and hand stitch it into place.

IMG_2995

Wrap the rest of this little strip of fabric snugly around the center of the bowtie until you reach the back again.  Fold the raw edge under and hand stitch in place.  (If you have way too much fabric to fold under, cut some off first.)

IMG_3004

Fold each end of the neck strap under a 1/4 inch, then another 1/4 inch, and then sew in place.

IMG_3008

Then sew some velcro to each end of the bowties, making sure that one piece is on the “right’ side of the neck strap and the other piece of velcro is on the “wrong” side of the neck strap.  That way, the velcro will secure properly without the neck strap getting twisted.

IMG_3017

And that’s it.  Time to secure that little bowtie around someone’s neck!

Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version --- Make It and Love It

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing

Comments

18 Responses to “Little Boy Bowtie: the QUICK and EASY version”
    Megan W. says:

Just in time! I was just scouting my favorite craft blogs for a bow tie so I can throw one together for Easter. Such a cutie!

Tamara says:

What is the age of your son, I ask becuase I have to do one for an 8 year old and I am unsure of the length the bow tie shoud be (the bow part)

Heather Bartron says:

Thank you so much! I was just looking last night for an Easter bow tie to make for my 5-year-old and I was sad you didn’t have one. You’re tutorials are my favorite!

Crystal S. says:

My 5 year old owns that same shirt and vest but I have never thought to put them together. That sweet little bow tie ties them together nicely. Thanks for the timely post. I don’t sew for my son nearly enough! I have made my son bow ties in the past but I like this version much better. Love it.

Dawn M. says:

It looks to me that that same little boy’s bow tie could also be used for a little girl’s headband.

Amber says:

Just in time! I just finished the spring dress for my daughter and suspenders for littlest son. I was in the process of searching the internet for bow tie tutorials and low and behold here it is! My kids will all be sporting make-it and love it looks for Easter this year! Thanks so much for providing such great tutorials!

becky says:

Thanks! I will be making this today!

Nancy says:

Literally went to the fabric store this morning to buy fabric to make easter bow ties for my boys (inspired by your bow tie onesie). I was so excited to get home and see this in my inbox. Perfect timing! I will be making this today!

cucicucicoo says:

So adorable! My little guy will be a ring bearer next month and I was thinking that I wanted to make him a tie or bowtie to match the bridesmaid dresses (which I’m also making), so this is just in time! Thanks! :) Lisa

Candy says:

He is a BEAUTIFUL child!!!! Congratulations!!! And the bowtie is adorable, too!

Meg says:

The very first bow tie I sewed for my little guy was made out of that exact same fabri! (JoAnns, I think, two years ago, but possibly still on the shelf.) And he still wears it, because it’s adorable. I love yours, and it makes me feel like I have really good taste if YOU picked the same thing my inexperienced self picked. :)

Mary Ann S. says:

He is such a doll…It hink he looks terriffic…I think all boys should wear one…think of all the special days you could make each one special.

Thanks so much Ashley

Kat says:

Don’t have any kids to sew for (Yet!) but I love coming and seeing what you have made for your little, and no so little anymore, ones. You do have wonderfully fun looking children, as in I am sure they would always be up for a game of tag and spend most of the time laughing and causing the rest of the people to laugh with them for sharing their joy at life.

As a previous poster said this looks like it would also work to make a girls headband bow or perhaps a bow to “girl up” a hand-me down from a brother.

Kaly says:

Brilliant!
    And good taste in fabric too – I used this fabric last year on my boys’ Easter ties!

Stephanie says:

Thank you Dana!!! Just what I needed tonight to finish up an outfit for our vacation tomorrow !:)

Tara says:

Very easy and turned out perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Carrie says:

Awesome tutorial! I was looking for a sewing tutorial instead of using a glue gun and yours is perfect! Thank you so much!