Fabric Storage Basket…with handles

Oh, I’m so excited to have Crystal here again today from Stitched By Crystal.  And I know you’re going to be thrilled too…..once you see these ADORABLE Fabric Baskets that she made.  Just think of all the reasons you’re going to need a whole collection of these baskets to organize your life!

-Ashley
. . . . .

Do you do spring cleaning?  Have you started yet?

I am Crystal, here from Stitched by Crystal, and I have a tutorial to share with you for some easy fabric baskets that will help you get organized.
 DIY Fabric Storage Basket...with handles! --- Make It and Love It

With two toddlers in my house, baskets, bins, and boxes are my best friends when it comes to cleaning. I can scoop up all the dolls/blocks/cars and throw them in the baskets and they are out of sight in no time!

DIY Fabric Storage Basket...with handles! --- Make It and Love It

These baskets measure 10 x 10 inches (at the opening) and are about 12 inches tall.  You can easily adjust the height of the basket if you want a different size.  I think a shorter basket would be cute for storing baby items in a nursery or you could add a few inches to make a tall basket, which I think would make a cute clothes hamper!

DIY Fabric Storage Basket...with handles! --- Make It and Love It

The baskets are made with some fusible interfacing so they are sturdy enough to stand up on their own, but still can be easily folded up and stored when not in use.  And they are fully lined.

DIY Fabric Storage Basket...with handles! --- Make It and Love It

Want to make some fabric baskets?

Great!  Let’s get started!

To make one basket, you will need:
  • 5/8 yard home fabric for the outside of the box (I used home décor fabric, but quilting cotton will work too)
  • 5/8 yard lining fabric (I used plain ole muslin)
  • 5/8 yard sturdy fusible interfacing (I used Pellon 809 décor-bond)
  • 4 grommets (I picked up some plastic ones from the home décor section of the fabric store. They are intended for curtains, but work great for this project too!)
  • 1 yard rope (for the handles)
  • Basic sewing supplies

**All seams are ½ inch unless otherwise noted.

1.  Start by cutting your fabric.  Cut 2 rectangles of interfacing and 2 rectangles of your lining fabric that are 22 inches wide x 20 inches tall.

2.  Cut 5.5 inch squares from the bottom corners of your 4 rectangles as shown in the photo below.  Set your 2 lining pieces aside.

3.  Iron your 2 interfacing pieces to the wrong side of your outer fabric and cut out around the interfacing.  (You should have 2 identical pieces.)

4.  Place your 2 outer pieces together, with right sides together, and sew along the sides and bottom (do not sew the corner cut outs).  Press your seams open.

5.  Flatten the bottom corners, lining up the side and bottom seams, pin along the edge and sew.  Repeat with the other side.  Now your basket should look like a basket…only inside out.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with your 2 lining pieces.

7.  Place the bottoms of your lining and outer baskets together, with wrong sides together.  Line up the bottom seams and sew the seam allowances of the lining and the outer together, right along the existing seams.  This will keep the lining from flipping out of the basket once it is done.

8.  Flip the outer basket right side out, the lining should now be inside.  Pin the lining and the outer basket together along the top edge.

9.  Baste the lining to the outer basket, right along the top raw edge.  Hem the top of the basket by folding the top edge down (a 1/2 inch) along your basting stitch towards the inside of the basket and iron flat.  Then fold down another 1 inch and iron again.  Sew in place along the folded edge with coordinating thread.

Now you have a lined basket!

Let’s add some handles…

10.  Measure 2.5 inches from the top of the basket and 2.5” over from the center side seam (that runs down the center of both sides of the basket) and make marks for the center of your grommet.  Add your grommets according to the instructions on the package.  (These plastic ones I found are super easy.  They come with a template and you simply cut a hole and snap them in place, no hammers or grommet kits needed.)

11.  Cut your rope into two 18 inch pieces.  Tie a knot in one end by making a loop and looping the end through twice.  Tighten the knot as close as you can to the end of the rope.

12.  Starting on the inside the basket, feed the non-knotted end of the rope through one grommet and then out and back through the other.  Tie a knot at the other end of the rope (which will end up on the inside of the basket as well).

13.  Fill up your basket!  These are great for books, toys, linens, balls, sewing supplies, you name it!

DIY Fabric Storage Basket...with handles! --- Make It and Love It

Thanks for reading!  Swing by my blog sometime and say hi!

-Crystal

blog contributor

Check out Crystal’s blog here.  Her darling shop here.  And her Pinterest page here.

Filed under Children, Featured, Home Decor, Sewing

Comments

64 Responses to “Fabric Storage Basket…with handles”
    ira lee says:

those are cute and you could sell them so easily!!!

Crystal says:

Thanks Ira! I would rather just make them for me than to sell, but that’s a great idea…maybe the tutorial will help someone else make a few bucks :)

I love this!! I bought a basket like this at Walmart a few months ago and have been wishing I had a bunch in different sizes and colors to store toys, dirty clothes, etc…. Thanks for posting!

MC says:

How perfect! I need to make a bunch of these…where can I find the plastic grommets?

This is adorable, practical, and a great tutorial! Thank you! I’ve pinned and shared on my fb page. :)

Stacey says:

I love, love, love this!

Sharlyn says:

Very cute! My daughter has a bunch of those mesh metal cubes in her room. Desperately need organizing, this will be great!

deebi27 says:

You keep posting goodies that would work great in a nursery…here you go again…:) I will see if my daughter would like some of these, for her 1st nursery!!! It seems so doable with your directions…Fabulous!!!

Oriana says:

Thank you for providing this super easy tutorial! I’m an organizing nerd, so this is soooo up my alley :) I’ll definitely be sharing this in my social network!

Crystal says:

I wish I were an organizing nerd :) My baskets are not organized at all, everything gets scooped up and thrown in! Thanks for sharing with your social network!

Kim says:

These are so cute and functional, and you have designed them so that they are quick and easy to sew. Thank you for sharing this great tutorial, Crystal!

Jamie B says:

Thanks for sharing, I looooove it!! Already pinned, already planning to create some! I’m super visual, and I’m having trouble understanding step 5, I’m just not sure what part I’m looking at in that top picture? Is there a wider angle to see the whole thing..? I just don’t want to mess it up ;)

Crystal says:

I will check but unfortunately I don’t think I have a wider shot of that step. You are boxing out the corners in that step. Basically if you pinch the top corner of your square cut outs on either side of the bag and pull them apart, you will end up with a straight seam to sew, just line up the bottom seams and sew straight across.

• 10.1.1
        Jamie B says:

Ok I think I know what you mean! Hopefully when I get to that step, it will all make sense having it actually in my hands! I have just found a bench with cubbies for my kids toys and was getting ready to bite the bullet on buying storage baskets, I am SO much happier to make them. Thanks again for sharing!

Leann says:

Hi Crystal, thanks for sharing this. I was just thinking yesterday I could use more of these, now I know how to make them! By the way I’m a COTA in MD :)

Crystal says:

No way Leann! I get excited when I meet someone who just knows what OT is, so it is really cool when I come across someone else who is one! :)

Linda says:

Thank you so very much for this nicely detailed and easily followed tutorial-
    I will be making some of these for my daughters- They will love them -as do I-

Linda says:

Love the baskets. Plan on making them for my dil for the playroom. I also tried to get your fix pattern, however I only get the lovely picture. They look so cuddly.

Gretchen says:

thanks for the pattern. I will make a ton of these for grandchildren & my knitting projects

Crystal says:

These baskets would be great for holding yarn! I wish I was better at knitting, I used to know some basic stuff but never kept up with it. I always look at the yarn isle in the craft store though, maybe someday I will pick it up again!

Almarie says:

Fantastic post. This is exactly why I follow this blog. I love it!

Tera says:

Ahh! This is great, thank you! I have been trying to find some cute bins/baskets for the kids’ shelves, but haven’t had any luck. And besides, shopping for fun fabric is so much more enjoyable than looking at plastic buckets ;)

Melissa says:

This is too beautiful. I think I will make them taller and use them as laundry baskets. My parents have been using an old tattered one for so long, I think this will made a great handmade present. Thank you so much!

Jen says:

Great tutorial! Thanks.

Jess says:

I cannot stop thinking about these any who I can make them for, including myself! I would like to make one for under my daughter’s crib but would like your thoughts on this. It would be about 6″high. Do you think this would provide enough high for a stable construction?
    Thank YOU!

Linda says:

These are so fab and I love that they are collapsable too. I should make myself some. Thank for sharing :-)

Fred Paccana says:

Those are cute and convenient!

Neila says:

This tutorial is so great, Thanks!! What measurement would you alter to make this into a clothes hamper? Thanks in advance!

Amy says:

Where did you get the chevron fabric? If you have an online link to it that’d be even better.
    Thanks!

Katrina says:

Just made two of these for my daughter’s room – they came out great! My only trouble was that at my Joann’s the fusible interfacing came in a single layer so I needed twice as much and had to make a return trip. But now I know for next time!

France in France says:

Thanks Crystal, for this fantastic tutorial (and to Ashley, for sharing the love). I have been intending to replace my standard blah boxes in our Expedit for fabric ones to cheer things up a bit.
    Now, you wouldn’t happen to have a tutorial for creating time, would you??;-)

Liz says:

I am dying to know where you got your fabric from! The colors have been an inspiration for my twin nursery. Please share where to find them :) thanks!

Debbi says:

These are great! Thanks for sharing a tutorial.

beautiful handbag, useful and seemingly easy to fabricate. Happy to have found your post. I will make one soon. thank you

linda says:

I have some leftover black and white toile drapery type fabric that may be great for fabric storage bins.. I will alter to make it wider and shorter to fit on the closet shelves.

Flo Wagner says:

these are great looking baskets, thanks so much for the tutorial. I love them!
    Did you have to finish the cut ends of the rope ? just curious. The handles add such a cute touch.

kellec says:

This might be a dumb question but I went to make this project and I purchased a yard of each: outside fabric, muslin and interfacing (although the instructions say 5/8 of a yard) so they are 36″x36″ pieces of fabric each. When I started to measuring to cut the fabric, I don’t understand how you get 2 squares of 22″x20″ out of each of the fabrics. Since 22″ times 2 would be 44″ in one direction and 20″ times 2 would be 40″ in one direction.

A standard bolt of fabric is about 44-45 inches wide. So, when you buy 1 yard of fabric, it should be 36 inches long and about 44 or so inches wide. So, if you bought the 5/8 yard of fabric, that would be 22.5 inches long and 44 inches or so wide…..just right to fit the two squares within. Does that make more sense?

• 31.1.1
        kellec says:

OK, that makes sense. I took another look and turns out my outer fabric actually is from a 44″ length bolt, but I bought muslin from a bolt that was 36″ apparently. I had never bought muslin before and didn’t realize it came in different bolt lengths. So that’s where I am short on the dimensions. Thanks a lot for getting back to me!

Stephanie Hansen says:

Hi there,

I’m a newbie to sewing, but picking it up quickly and I’m so excited to try this project. Question on step 9: to my understanding, basting is when you sew a long, temporary stitch with the intent of removing. At some point in step 9, do I actually remove that seem before going on to complete the hem? Thanks!

claire says:

Love this tutorial! Amazing pictures, thank you.

Can i ask where you bought the rope? Didnt see rope that thick at joanns.

Thanks!

Yare says:

I just bought my first sewing machine, ive never sew anything in my life… this has been the first thing i ever sew. The tutorial is super easy to follow, and the bins come out to be great.

Kasha Miller says:

I just made one and love it, its so adorable but I bought an off brand of interfacing since it was cheaper and mine does not stand up on its own unless I stuff it with stuffed animals. I won’t be able to use it for anything heavier than those. I am making a second one with the 809 pellon brand and was just wondering how sturdy yours are because they look to have great form but just wondering what you have put in yours and if the 809 will do the trick? Thank you for the tutorial love how cute they are and soo much cheaper too! :-)