Stretchy Baby Hats…with Top Knots (template included)

I think being pregnant with a little boy is making me a little crazy.  Since my current youngest is a girl (Chloe, now 3), I have gotten my fill of girly, frilly, and pink!  So now, I have this absurd craving to make this little guy a whole lot of everything boy-ish.  I know I’ll never have the time……but I keep jotting down this idea and that one and how I should tweak this project and that one, making my list really long.  It’s a problem! ;)  But it’s kind of a fun problem because it’s my way to kill the time before meeting him.  So, it’s therapeutic in a way.  Yeah, I’m gonna call all of this craziness therapeutic.  (Go with it…)

The other week, I mentioned that Pick Your Plum had some knit fabric on sale, for crazy cheap……so I bought a bunch.  (I just checked…..and yeah, the fabric is gone.  But they of course of like 8 other really good deals going on today.  Careful……you’ll get sucked in.  I always do!!)

Anyway, my striped knit fabric arrived in the mail a few days ago and I couldn’t wait to start cutting into it.  So I made a quick little something that I use for all my babies when they’re brand new.  Little stretchy Knit Hats.

So striped knit, thank you for arriving and helping to check an item off my “To-Make-For-Baby-Boy” list!

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

Those knots on top? Yeah, they help give the hat some dimension…..but also, they are so darn cute!

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

Also, the seams are hidden under the flap, so the inside stays nice and smooth.  Nothing to irritate baby skin!

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, I like putting a hat on my brand new baby because even the AC or a ceiling fan in the summer can seem a little chilly to that brand new baby skin.  And my babies never come out with a full head of hair either, so a little coverage is just what they need.

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

If you don’t have a baby of your own, there’s nothing cuter than making a gift for a friend/daughter/neighbor who’s having a baby.  And these hat are a really quick project.  Match them with a few homemade receiving blankets or an outfit from the store……and your gift is all set!

baby hats with top knot

And yeah, I made these for my little guy but they would be just as cute on a little girl.  Go on, throw a flower on there if you’d like! :)

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

Ready to make some Baby Hats?

Okay, let’s get started…

**The hat instructions and template below is sized to fit about 0-3 months, not newborn.  My babies never come out newborn size, so I made this a little larger.  However, if you’d really like a smaller hat, you’ll have to scale down the pattern piece just a bit.

Supplies:

• Stretchy Knit Fabric
  • Pattern Piece (found here)
  • Sewing Machine (with zig-zag function)
  • Iron with steam

For the majority of this tutorial, we will be putting the hats together the same way as these Knit Baby Hats.  So refer to that tutorial as needed.

Use the pattern piece in the supply list above to cut 2 hat shapes from your knit fabric.  BE SURE that the stretch of your knit is going right to left, so that the hat will stretch around the head.  Also, cut a rectangle piece that is 15 1/2 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches tall.  Again, the stretch needs to go right to left.

IMG_2036

Place your two hat pieces together, with right sides together (matching up your knits if needed) and sew all the way around the sides and top, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

IMG_2044

With the other knit hat tutorial listed above, I serged the edges but this time, I want to show you that a serger isn’t always necessary.  So, you can either sew a zig zag stitch all the way around or just sew another simple stitch around the sides and top, right next to the first seam.  (Knit doesn’t fray so a zig-zag stitch isn’t necessary.)

IMG_2047

Then, turn your hat right side out and press flat with steam.  Then, sew the band piece together and fold in half and press, just like the other hat tutorial listed above.

IMG_2051

Now, the other hat tutorial, I sewed the band to the “right” side of the hat fabric.  This time, I realized we could hide the seam a little better if you attach the band to the “wrong” side of the hat fabric.  So, turn the hat inside out (no need to poke the top of the hat back out, since you just ironed it flat) and then line up the raw edges of the folded band to the bottom raw edge of the hat.  Pin in place.  Just be sure that the hat is INSIDE OUT.

IMG_2058

Then, sew all the way around the bottom edge of the hat with a zig-zag stitch, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Just BE SURE that you’re using a zig-zag stitch so that the hat opening can stretch.  A straight seam will prohibit this.

IMG_2062

Next, turn the hat right side out again and steam the newly attached band flat (right where you attached with the zig-zag stitch) and then fold the flap up 1 to 1 1/2 inches and press flat.

IMG_2064

To secure the band in place, stitch to the hat, at both side seams, just like the hat tutorial above.

IMG_2066

See?  Now you seams are hidden under that band.  Sneaky!

IMG_2073

And finally, tie that little piece of fabric into a knot on the top.  You can adjust the size of the hat just a bit by tying more or less of the fabric into the knot.

IMG_2077

And that’s it.  Now, make a few more!!!

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Baby, Clothing, Featured, Gift Ideas

Comments

34 Responses to “Stretchy Baby Hats…with Top Knots (template included)”
    Amber says:

Oh man, now I wish I had bought some of that Knit from Pick YOUR Plum! I saw it that day and just passed on it. love the hats! great and easy tutorial!

Eva says:

Thanks for this amazing tutorial! Do you think I could done it using cotton fabric like a t-shirt? Thanks

Jessica says:

Since I’m also pregnant with a boy, I so love your tutorials for baby boy stuff! I’m off to shop for knit fabric this afternoon for the receiving blanket you posted recently, and now I’ll have to buy some extra for these darling hats! I’ll have to get some girl colors too, since a dear friend just found out that she’s having a girl. Your blog is my favorite :)

Emma says:

Hey Ashley! I adore all of your patterns/tutorials. So I just made baby pants for people I babysit out of a knit-kind of fabric and I put in elastic. I didn’t have a pair of 0-3 months pants so I just winged it and I am not sure if they’ll fit. I guess is what in tryin I say is that I don’t want to give the pant to them I they don’t fit…..what should I do?

British American says:

These are so cute! I considered buy that fabric the other week too, but I couldn’t think what I would have done with it. This is perfect. I love stripes on boys. :)

Marleen says:

I love these! So smart to hide the seam in the hat! Emma: you can take the pants you made to a store that sells 0-3 months clothes, and just lay it on top. That will give you a pretty good idea of the fit, and if you need to make adjustments. Or just google/search pinterest for pants that size, and print the pattern to place it on top of your pants. Good luck!

Michelle Davidson says:

I also bought all the fabric from Plum and they are GREAT! Looking for boy items daily for family babies so, again, this week, THANK YOU! These hats are adorable!!!

Love this and I also make these for quick baby gifts. I even made some for my 2nd daughter out of some onesies her sister wore!! :) I also drew a pattern for making them with two knots – super cute!
    Love the way you’ve hidden the stitching – will have to give this a try!

Jessica says:

I just made this hat using a t-shirt. I cheated and used the t-shirt hem instead of making the band and it turned out super adorable!

Amandine says:

Congratulations! I’m also pregnant with a boy due beginning of next month!
    Thanks for this tutorial!

Amandine says:

Yes I did it (repurposing some old maternity pants), first time sewing elastic fabric (elastic horizontally and vertically)
      It was fun, thanks for this tutorial!

Kerry says:

Top knot hats are the best. I used these way more than the Carter baby hats….they just aren’t deep enough. But the adjustable knot style is great! Need to make some for my six month old girl! Congrats on baby!! New follower! Love your blog : )

I agree……I must have babies with big heads because the store bought baby hats are NEVER big enough. Grrrrrr. But these work great! :)

And thanks Kerry!

Elizabeth says:

Love this! I got the same knit fabric and it’s a bit thinner than I was expecting. Wasn’t sure what to do with it since it’s too thin for leggings (per original plan). Any other recommendations of things to make with that PYP fabric? I’m trying to find patterns for thinner knits like that.

Good to know about steam iron, I melted the fabric when I first tried to iron. EEK!

Yes, it is a little on the thinner side……but it worked perfectly for these hats! Also, I used some to lengthen some little girl shirts into Peplum tops. And I plan on making twirly skirts for my two girls. They always wear little shorts under their skirts, so I’m not worried about the thickness of the skirt. Hope that helps! -Ashley

LeShel says:

THANK you SO SO SO much for this tutorial. I was able to make several dozen hats for our local NICU. It was super simple and each one looked absolutely adorable!!

Jasmine says:

Thanks for sharing this! Love the hidden seem. This with some harem pants means I now have a very cute set to give my soon to be nephew!

Jen says:

these little hats are absolutely adorable. I six friends with babies right now so they are all getting these. Could you make a suggestion for 3-6 mos size increase on the pattern? Thank you so much.
    Jen

penny says:

awesome…thanks for sharing

mary says:

Thanks for this great tutorial! very similar to the hats from little hip squeaks that are so expensive.

akea says:

congrats on your pregnancy,hope to see more things about boys soon