No-Sew ELSA CAPE (from Frozen)…a ‘Do-It-Together’ Project

I shared months ago that I wanted to open up the free days on my blog (that I wasn’t blogging) to others who would love to fill those gaps and showcase their own work.  Your talent out there is INCREDIBLE…..and I love sharing this little outlet with others who get a kick out of creating, like I do. :)  So, today is another day you get to see the craftiness of someone else.  Pull up a chair (or a sofa) and enjoy with me……you won’t be disappointed.

-Ashley :)

. . . . .

Hi, I’m Cami from Tidbits and boy, it’s great to be here!! I remember being told in my youth that everyone will experience at least 20 minutes of fame in their lifetime (not really sure who said that). Well, I am pretty sure this is my time to shine! Ha! Thanks for having me Ashley and to all of you readers!

I come with a project to share, highly demanded by my children.  If you have any little girls in your life, they are sure to want one too.  So gather anything shimmery or sparkly you might have on hand, and let me show you what you can make – TOGETHER!!!

No need for a sewing machine for this project.  Just you and your little one having fun and making something they can be proud of!

No-Sew ELSA CAPE (from

No-Sew ELSA CAPE (from

My 3 girls are completely smitten with Disney’s Frozen, particularly the character Elsa.

Frozen)....a Do-It-Together Project for girls of all ages! --- Make It and Love It

I mean . . . she has powers to create sparkly snowflakes, she never feels cold, and she has a super pretty flowy cape.

I think the obsession comes mostly from the cape.

From the moment we saw the movie in theater, my 3 year old was draping anything and everything around her head or neck, all in an effort to be Elsa.

We had towels clipped on with claw clips, toilet paper (no joke), and baby brother’s blankies. :)

I knew we needed something a little more….well…..pretty!

And with 3 girls to please, it needed to be quick and easy and fun for them too.

Not to mention, I was pretty tired of tying fabric around their necks, so it had to be easy for them to get on and off by themselves.

And let’s just say – these capes – are a HUGE HIT!!!

I used a different age appropriate method for each daughter’s cape, so that they could help decorate and customize it to their liking (read more about that below).  We had so much fun together!!

I think it would be so fun to have a Frozen Party, and allow each child to decorate their own as a party favor.  The cape is so easy to make, that this is actually a feasible idea!

Alright.

Are you ready to find out how to make your own?  Let me show you!!

We are going to move through these 4 steps below.  1-3, you will most likely do on your own.  Number 4 is for you to enjoy with your cutie. (For info on supplies needed, read through these steps to determine what you will need).

1.  Make a paper pattern.
2.  Cut the fabric out using your pattern.
3.  Finish off the edges so they don’t fray.
4.  Sit down with your child and make it pretty!

Step 1.  Make a Pattern
This might sound scary if you have never made one.  But trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.  I will walk you through the steps I took and you’ll have it done in no time.

First, you will need to measure your child.  I took a measuring tape and measured, in inches, from her clavicle bone, around her shoulder and down to the floor. Write that down when you have done the same.

To make your pattern you need a long piece of paper.  I stock up on paper rolls from Ikea when I go there, but you could always tape printer paper together or use some butcher paper.

Let me walk you through the markings I’ve made on this paper.

First things first, make sure your paper is 18 inches wide.  I used this same width for all my girls.  Then from the top of the paper take the measurement from your child’s clavicle to the floor and mark across with a pencil and ruler.  This pattern was for my 5 year old, so this particular measurement was 37 inches.  Mark on one side “Fold” as seen above.  This is to remind you to cut on the fold of the fabric when the time comes.

Now measure 25 inches in addition to your child’s length and cut your paper there.  This is for the train of the cape.

Now go back the the top and make a little marking at 2 1/2 inches.

Now find a bowl, a DVD or something curved and trace the curve starting at the 2.5 marking.  This is for the neck.  It doesn’t need to be big.  I think my bowl was somewhere between 4-5 inches long in diameter.  I traced about mid bowl.

Now cut that out on your markings.

Come down to the train, and from the corner to the point of the marking of the child’s length, draw a diagonal line.

Use that line as a guide to draw a slightly curved line from those points.  Don’t dwell on perfection here.  Just curve it nicely -

then cut along that marking.

Now go back up to the top and draw a curved line (like shown above) down to the body length marking.

Cut along that line as well.  I do hope that all made sense.

At the top where you marked 2.5, you need to round those corners off.

And that is it!  You have made your pattern!  That really is the hardest part, and it isn’t even that hard.

Step 2:  Cut out your fabric.

First, let’s talk fabric.

Flowy.  That is a must.  Sheer.  That is preferred.  If you want it to look like Elsa’s, anyway.

I used organza on 2 of my capes, and chiffon on the littlest ones cape.  They both worked great.  I found each at Wal-Mart for 3 dollars a yard.  One type even had sparkle’s already in it.

How much fabric, you ask?

That depends entirely on the length of your child.

Take their length you measured in step 1, plus the 25 inches and that is how much you will need.  So for my 37 inch girl, I bought 2 yards and I had a bit extra.

Once you have your fabric, you are ready to cut out.  Fold your fabric in half and then lay your pattern right on top, matching up where you wrote “fold” with the fold of the fabric. Cut around the pattern but do not cut the fold.

When you get to the neck straps, you will cut through the fold and around the curve of the pattern, so that it separates into 2 neck pieces.

That completes Step 2.

Step 3:  Finish the Edges

We are doing this so the edges don’t fray all over the place, but are doing it without the sewing machine.

All you need is a flame.

And a bowl of water.  Just in case.

You may want to test this out on your fabric, but I can vouch for chiffon and organza.  They burn great using this method.

Hold your fabric tightly with both hands.
Move the edge of your fabric along the blue part of the flame (or the bottom) quickly and smoothly.  Don’t let it sit in one spot too long.  It burns.  Where you don’t want it to.  (If you’ve never tried this before, practice on some scrap fabric.)

This will not only leave your edges clean so they don’t fray, but an added perk is the wavy lettuce edge they give to your cape.  So fun.

Your cape will be completely ready for the kiddo, as soon as you add a closure to the neck edge.

So in the effort to make this a “no-sew”, I tested out some seriously sticky back velcro.  Just cut out small squares and stick them on.

It has stuck on great for my older ones who know how to take it off appropriately.  However, the 3 year old has reeked havoc on hers and one velcro piece is coming off.  I think I will sew some sew-on pieces on hers, for safe keeping.  However, I still felt like I could call this project a “no-sew”.

So sorry if you are angry with me right now. ;)

Use the method that works for you.

Then I hot glued a little snowflake piece I found in the button section at Wal-Mart.  Nice touch, I thought.

Now for the FUN PART!!  Grab your little one!

Step 4:  Decorate!!

For my 3 year old, I simply taped some snowflake stencils (bought at Hobby Lobby) around her cape. Then I gave her some glitter fabric paint (also Hobby Lobby) and a brush and let her paint inside the stencils.

Some turned out great.  Others, not so much….but she loved it!

They are a little hard to see on the camera, but I think they look really pretty in person.

I also let her soak the fabric with this spray glitter paint.  It surprisingly stays on real well, and I haven’t seen glitter all over her and my house because of it.

For the 5 year old, we practiced our tracing skills.

First, I printed off some simple snowflake shapes which I googled.  Then, one by one, we put the paper under the fabric, and she used a bottle of dimensional fabric paint (with glitter of course, and found at Hobby Lobby), and traced the design right onto the fabric.

SHE LOVED IT!!  Her hand was a little sore towards the end, but she loved it.  It dried beautifully.

So for my 7 year old, we got a little more serious.

Heat and Bond.  Wal-Mart sells it for pennies.  I bought a yard of it on the bolt and dug through my fabric scraps for some white fabric.  Heat and Bond is a product that is fusible with heat, on two sides.  I followed the directions and fused one side to my white fabric.

Then I cut random sized squares out of it.

So at this point, the scrap of white fabric is fabric on one side and paper on the other.  My girl and I folded and cut as many snowflakes as we could out of these squares.  It was easy, seeing how one side was paper.  If you do this, make sure you use good fabric scissors.

She then peeled off the paper side of the snowflakes and I ironed them down where she put them.  The heat and bond makes it so the fabric will not fray.

Don’t you just love the result!!

And we had so much fun seeing who could come up with the goofiest looking snowflakes!

Wow!  Longest post ever!

Do-It-Together Elsa Cape 6

Do let me know if you jump in on the fun!!

Do-It-Together Elsa Cape 7

I’m sure your girls, whatever age they are, will enjoy making their cape – just as much as they do wearing it!
Do-It-Together Elsa Cape 8

Loved being here!!  Thanks Make It and Love It readers!!

-Cami

cami blog contributor

Check out Cami’s blog here.

Filed under Children, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday, Kid Craft, No Sew, Sewing

Comments

132 Responses to “No-Sew ELSA CAPE (from Frozen)…a ‘Do-It-Together’ Project”

This is genius! I’m sure you know Elsa stuff is impossible to find in the stores- making your own is a great idea- and yours are fabulous! I am absolutely doing this for my 8 year old. Her birthday is next month- maybe I’ll surprise her!

Thanks for sharing!

YES, you’re right…..that’s why I love Cami for coming up with this! :)

Your 8 year old will love this…..good luck!

Tasha says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! My six-year-old has now transformed into the persona of “Elsa” and it is ABSOLUTELY impossible to find quality, reasonable “Elsa” merchandise, especially clothing for my daughter to wear. She has been hounding me for weeks now to make her an “Elsa” gown. I have been sifting through older princess dresses that have been outgrown or outloved in order to recycle the fabric. One awesome thing about Disney, color matches from princess to princess or queen is fabulous.

Needless to say, being a teacher year round makes it difficult to indulge in many craft projects, but with summer break less than a week away, we are on the “Frozen” path this summer….gowns, capes, bedroom make-overs…

I love what you’ve created for your lovely ladies! Thank you so much for sharing! If you have other fabulous “Frozen” ideas, please share. God Bless!
      Tasha

abbie says:

Thanks so much for the post, I had some leftover fabric from a bridesmaids dress that worked perfectly for this cape and am excited to go make another one, it was way easier than I thought and my four year-old can’t wait to make and decorate hers!

Becca Allen says:

Wow. These are beautiful! My daughter and I have been thinking about having a craft day with some of her friends, and this will be perfect! Thank you for sharing!

Katy says:

That is such a great tutorial! Loads of fab ideas there – and I would never have thought to seal the edge of the fabric with heat!

Maria Wicks says:

Those are just gorgeous!!!! I will definitely be making some of these with my three girls, they will LOVE them! Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial!!

Jessica says:

great idea, thanks!.my daughter is gonna love it.

Ellie says:

Darling idea! I have 5 girls and they would all love this.

marlene says:

As I was reading this, why couldn’t you use sheer curtains. You could pick them up at a Good will for next to nothing and it would be cheaper than buying material.

Robin says:

PERFECT! That is a good idea, Marlene. I’m going to check it out my nearest thrift store. Thanks!

Chelsey says:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Saves time finishing edges too!

Yes, that’s a great idea! And you could make several out of one set. Let us know how it turns out…..and good luck! :)

I’m a cosplayer who’s tried curtains and while they work fairly well, they’re not as sheer as they first appear. Make sure you’ve tested looking through them at several distances, and at close up and far away objects, before using them— mine turned out almost opaque. Also be sure you know what they’re made of before trying to burn the edges.

These are some great decoration ideas! I tried regular glue and glitter and it’s incredibly messy; the cape isn’t wearable in the house because it sheds glitter everywhere. These methods are much better.

julie says:

firstly can I just say you have 3 very beautiful little ladies . My little girl will be 3 years April 5th and loves anything princess and also loves to help me make things so this is going to be our little project to do together for her birthday treat,and also she can wear it for her party. Thankyou very much for showing this and thanks to Ashley for letting you.

Haha……it wasn’t too hard to let her. This idea was a winner from the moment she mentioned it. Have fun making them with your girlies! :)

Tracy says:

Cami,

It’s so great to “meet” you! :) I follow Ashley’s blog and now I will follow yours! I wish this post would have come out about two weeks ago… I just finished making my 5 year old daughter a complete Elsa dress. And with no pattern and such a complex dress, it was not easy! :) I think she would have been just as pleased with your cute cape… I think I will have to make one of these too so she can put it on by herself. Very cute, thanks!

Oh my word, you did the whole thing…..I’m sure it’s gorgeous!! But yeah, now you can make a few back-up capes for friends who come over to play. :)

Marge says:

How sweet! My grand daughter is 9 and is always looking for new ideas. She is so creative, just like you! Thanks sooooo much:)

Jamie says:

My 4 year old little boy LOVES Elsa. And Let It Go. Annnnnnd anything related to Frozen. I’m absolutely making this for him! (So we can retired the heavy fleece blanket that he uses to “make Elsa” because its blue.)

Angie says:

And I thought my son was the only 3-year old boy who likes dressing up as Elsa! I got a nice blue fleece blanket with snowflakes printed all over it and he uses this as a cape. It’s perfect except that it makes him sweat a lot.

jenn says:

I am sorry I am sure it was mentioned but what kind of fabric is this?

Robin says:

jenn,

Cami said she had used two capes using organza and one using chiffon and they both worked well.

British American says:

This is so adorable and creative. Thanks for sharing!

Duckie says:

GENIUS. My daughter will love this!!!!

Deirdre Cunningham says:

We saw Frozen on New Years Eve & loved it! Thank you so much for showing us how to make these capes! x

Heather says:

Yeah, my 3 and 5-year old boys would love this!

My Connor is going to want one too…..especially if I make his sisters each a new cape. A year or so ago, he would have wanted an Elsa one too, just like his big sister……but, I may have to adapt it and make it more like a super hero now…..but that would totally work with these instructions too! :)

Maria says:

This is absolutely great, especially the no-sew Edges!
    I should have read this two weeks ago, when I was making a Snow Queen Costume for our German “Fasching”. :)

Kim says:

Adorable! Terrific tutorial too! I love that you found a way for your girls to share in the creation of their beautiful capes. That will be the best and most lasting part of your gift to them.

I agree Kim, I think that’s my favorite part about Cami’s tutorial. She found a way for all 3 girls to customize their own. :)

April says:

I love this idea. Not too complicated and my girls will love it. Thank you so much for showing us how you did it, Cami.

Katri says:

The heat is a great idea for finishing the edges! I actually used a soldering iron instead of an open flame and found that it was easier to control the “burn”. Thanks for the great idea!

Julie says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made 2 today. One for my daughter and one for her friend’s birthday. So great! I sewed on button snowflakes.

Elise says:

What a fun project! Took me maybe an hour from start to finish to do this. Would have been faster if I could have found my glue gun (ended up sewing the velcro and snowflake button on). I didn’t have the materials for my almost 4-year-old to add her own snowflakes, but I really don’t think she cares at the moment.

Ross says:

Love it, i not a very crafty person and i was looking for no-sewing ideas to make an Elsa cape. I couldn’t find a better and perfect idea ! I can wait to start this project with my little girl! Thank you for sharing!

JMcPhail says:

This is great. Thank you so much for sharing. I can’t wait to see my girls light up when they see the finished product. Amazing.

Beccy says:

This is an amazing tutorial. Thank you so much. I have two Elsa obsessed girls and have made them both a cape in an hour! Just brilliant. Now got to go and get some glittery silver fabric paint to do some snowflakes. Thank you again! x

Elena says:

Ladies , one more idea to you all,
    Cosco has a beautiful Easter dresses , sheer with ruffles , all colors ( white, blue, purple, pink )
    and all sizes , for only $16 , Get one,then make a cape , and you will have better
    then original one in a movie , and your own Elsa jumping with joy

Elena says:

Also , there is snow flakes you can get from Party City store and even check Dollar Store if you have one in your area

Marcy says:

What a great idea about the pre made snow flakes. How will you be placing them on sheer material? Some sort of glue?

• 27.1.1
        Elena says:

I bought snowflakes at Michael’s which sells all crafts and hand making supply . some of this sparkling snow flakes are selfstick with peal off backing but they will not hold strong enough when girls dancing and running , so I also secure them with a special glue used for fabric , got it in the same store . See which store u have in ur area and have fun . it will be beautiful

Heather says:

You are a lifesaver!!!!

My 6 year old DD is doing a talent show at her school and she wants to sing “let it go” (from Frozen) I have not been able to source an Elsa Ice Queen costume for her as they seem to have sold out everywhere! arrrrggggg, So what do I do? Make one? That seemed like a daunting task, how could I possibly do that? Well I am pleased to say I made the Cape just now (took about 30mins inc making the pattern and I am chuffed to bits!! it looks great and my DD is going to love it :D Phew, thank you, you saved my bacon :)

This is GENIUS!!! I just started looking at sewing patterns (which I HATE using!) so I am THRILLED to try this no sew method!! I have never heard of burning the edges to keep it from fraying, so I’m excited to try that, too. THANK YOU for sharing, I’m certain you’ve saved me several hours of frustration and many yards of messed up material!

helene says:

Many thanks for a great no sew pattern for Elsa’s cape. It was easy to follow and my grand daughter was thrilled when she opened her birthday present and there was Elsa’s cape.

MIndy says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I used wrapping paper to trace my outline and I didn’t have Velcro so I used a glue gun to adhere ribbon around the outline of the neck and that worked out great. It was super easy even though I was intimidated at first by drawing up the pattern. Thanks again. My four year old is singing “Let it Go” in her pre-school talent show next week so this is perfect!

Thank you for mentioning wrapping paper to use instead of paper roll!
      I just finished this for my 6 year old. We haven’t decorated it yet but it’s already lovely! I am not very crafty AT ALL and I, too was intimidated by the template, and made some mistakes, but I did it!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Theresa Lopez says:

I’m going to give this a try hopefully it will turn out as nice as the ones you did. My granddaughter just loves this movie and she wants an Elsa dress…

Mtnclimber08 says:

So cute. My girls had a blast making these. We used glitter tulle (careful when searing with a flame though!) and found packets of sequin snowflakes (30 for $0.99) at AC Moore and glued those on. With other supplies, etc cost me about $20 to make 2.

Shannon says:

I’m so excited. Bought the fabric today. I grabbed the white glitter spray and we will try our hand at spraying the stencils. I may also cut out some snowflakes and spray around the edges giving a negative-like imprint. Can’t wait to make these tomorrow (kiddo is home sick from school so I think this could be a nice non-tv activity)

JoAnn says:

I am so excited to start this for my Grandaughter . No-Sew ELSA CAPE, thank you for being here for us.

Amy Jo says:

THIS IS PERFECT!!!! Thanks for the inspiration and explaination. I can’t wait to make a couple for my little girls. We’ve had our share of towel-capes too.

Patti says:

This is PERFECT! Thanks!!! My 6 year old was tying things around her neck last night and running around singing. :) She’s going to have fun making her own. :D

Diane Langlois says:

Thank you for this idea! I just made my daughter and her doll matching snowflake capes. I was really nervous about the flame part but I practiced on scraps. I did sew a few small snaps onto my daughter’s so it would snap onto the back of her “Elsa” dress. I want to make a cape in every color now. LOL So glad I can make one with confidence if she ever needs another one. :)

Brooke says:

Thanks so much for this great idea! Just finished my daughter’s cape today! http://brookette.deviantart.com/art/Elsa-Cape-447759243

sara says:

my daughter is having her 5th birthday soon and she wants frozen (big surprise)…. planning to do this as one of the activities and they get to keep the cape as a favor…. AWESOME… done and done…. now i just need to figure out for the boys lol

Kim Lewis says:

Hello, Love ur Elsa capes. What type and color material(fabric) did you use?

Kinsey says:

Thanks so much for this idea. I am NOT crafty at all and I just finished making this! I feel proud. I haven’t decorated it yet but I think I am going to go with tracing snowflakes with glitter fabric paint. I was wondering if the paint and organza will stick to my paper snowflakes underneath? My daughter is going to be so surprised! !

Crystal says:

Finishing off the edges with a flame is brilliant! Also, you have some cute daughters. :)

Nancy says:

Just finished using your fabulous step by step instructions for the Elsa cape. Thank you sooo very much for taking the time to publish especially with 4 children! I’m the grandma and I helped my daughter buy and make it this morning. Jessica will help the snowflakes when she returns from rehearsal. She is in a major production doing a solo of Let It Be.

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Nancy Robinson
    Coconut Creek, FL

michelle says:

i think it was a very good idea I am ten and I love capes there fun and they fly in the in the wind. they look pretty and are a reasonable size also easy and simple to make !!!!! .

Crystal says:

This is amazing! My two nieces(4 and 2) are constantly re-enacting Frozen. I have been searching for an easy way to make them costumes. I am currently waiting for the paint to dry! Thanks for sharing!!!!

This is AMAZING! Thanks so much for a fun do it together project!

Danielle says:

Thanks for the pattern and ideas! My girls and I loved making this together! I put pictures and a quick description on my blog: http://lumasolem.blogspot.com/2014/05/elsa-cape.html

You’re a brilliant mother and crafter! Thanks again!

Maria says:

I love these… such a great idea. I have made these for my daughter’s 5th birthday party. I’ve heat sealed the edges but found the girls complain the edge round the neck is a little ‘itchy’ to wear. They don’t like wearing them for long. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to seal the edges without leaving a slightly stiff edge? Maybe I’ve done it wrong? I can’t sew! Any ideas?

Amy says:

Fantastic! I am a notoriously non-crafty person and was terrified by the making your own pattern bit, but it turned out great! I wasn’t careful enough with the flame part and have some darkened edges, but in think it still works. Any tips for stenciling the organza? I tried a couple on some test fabric and they don’t seem as dark and crisp as your 3-year old’s.
    Thanks much for such a great project!

fee says:

This sounds fab – gonna head out for the stuff tomorrow – thanks very much for sharing and the ‘flame’ tip :)

debbie says:

I simply love this cape I’ve made 2 and starting the third. But around the edges I put bisa tape making it a sewing project but well worth it. I felt the edges were to rough after I burned them. It turned out beautiful very easy, my granddaughters ware them all day. I made my own snowflakes out of scrap fabric but I sewed them on as well, glue just didnt hold them well enough. Belive me Im not a person that sews I just used my very old singer michine and just stitched them simi well lol. I cant wait to see my little 3 year old iceskater on the ice with her frozen cape, skating to the frozen music. Her cape turned out beautiful. Thank you so much for your fabuless ideas.

Judy says:

Even way down here in Australia little girls are in love with Frozen. Last night I made three capes for my three little granddaughters and I just wanted to say thank you so much for your tutorial which was so easy to follow and even though I sewed some parts they were a breeze to make thanks to your beautiful photos.

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs says:

I made this, thanks so much for the tute. Love it and its a huge hit. Blogged here: http://fairyfacedesigns.blogspot.ie/2014/05/an-elsa-cape-for-small-girl.html

Danielle says:

Super cute craft and great for including the little ones. My girls love their new capes. Plus, we have been invited to so many Frozen parties- this will be a perfect homemade (and inexpensive) gift! Great job! Thanks!

Jess M says:

For your youngest, instead of velcro use mini magnets, she won’t have to struggle as much to pull them apart.

Jaimie says:

I made one with a 3yr old and it came out so cute! I’m crafty, but I’m not gonna lie… when it comes to fabric and sewing and any of the above, I get nervous and tend to take short cuts whenever possible! With this, I followed all the directions except for drawing it out on paper first (I used a sticky to draw a rough sketch and cut it out from that) and hemming the sides. Even so, it came out amazing and she had so much fun putting even more sparkles on her Elsa cape! Overall, less than ten bucks and we even made little brother one too :)

Amy says:

Thank you! Thank you! Lucky girls and a talented fun mom. Thanks for giving me the most affordable easy option to make my sweetie her very own.

mellyh says:

Made it! Awesome sauce. Love the tail! I got some ice blue sheer valances from Goodwill that measured 27″ across. Worked! For a two year old and a three year old, mind you. Heck, even I wore it. I embellished with aqua and clear plastic “jewels” on the train. Just glued ‘em on. Only had black sticky velcro, but I didn’t hear her complainin’! No website to post pictures, but truuuuust me, cuteness happened.

Shirley S. says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am new to the DIY family. The tutorial was so easy to follow. I even got the pattern-making correct! The No-Sew was an easy sell for me as I can hardly sew a straight line. The cape came out beautifully. I even took the liberty of adding the same fabric to a white dress so that the dress matched the cape. I did a great job! Thank you, again, for the tutorial!

I just did this with my 3 year old daughter and she loves it!!!! She has not taken it off since! We traced snowflakes with puffy paint and added little jewels to make it sparkle. The hardest part was waiting for the paint to dry so she could play with it!

Debbie says:

Thank you for this wonderful cape. I just made it for my 4 year old granddaughter’s Frozen Birthday Party. I crocheted a small snowflake and hot glued it over the velcro. The hot glue reinforced the stick on Velcro. It truly made it no sew!

Missy says:

I just made one of these for my 3 year old. The tutorial was so easy to follow and it turned out amazing. I can’t wait for her to come home from preschool so she can see it and I can see her face. Thank you.

Alyssa says:

Thank you! My friend’s daughter is about to have her second girl….two days past due. The first girl is 3 and a half and, of course, loves Frozen. She is very imaginative in her play and would absolutely love one of these. I intend to make it for her this weekend….she should have her baby sister by then and I think it would be fun to present this to her upon officially becoming the “older sister”.

blanca says:

I am so excited to have my girls do their own. My five year old is graduating kinder and is obsessed with all things Frozen. She wraps a beautiful sparkly curtain around her baby sister and tries to show her how to dance. Im going to have her older sisters decorate it and surprise her with it for her graduation Its going to be the BEST gift ever!!!!! Thanks again. Your girls look adorable in their capes.

Jen says:

Did you really only make them 36″ across for all 3 ages?
    The only fabric I found was 56″ and it just seem like that is a lot of waste
    Or very narrow for a 6 year old
    Maybe I missed something in your tutorial since you made 3 of them :)
    They are so cute

Juling says:

Great idea! My 3 year old was like yours, draping everything around her shoulders and head. So I make her a long drapey one for home wear and a shorter one for outside wear so she doesn’t wreck it and get it dirty. We haven’t decorated it yet, but we will be doing the stencil and paint idea. The longest part was burning the edges to keep them from fraying.

Cas says:

This is great! I teach a class of 4/5 year olds and they are OBSESSED with Frozen, I was hoping to help make them some costumes! Might do batman for the boys, but some of them would probably rather have the Elsa cape too! :)

Andrea says:

Have done this and it looks fab! heatings the edges does give a great scalloped finish. I used a green/blue two tone organza
    I am decorating with iridescent sequinned stars and snowflakes. Thanks for the post.

Shanna says:

Thank you I’m tired of tying it around her neck

Michele says:

I think I just fell in love with your blog! THANKS so much for the tutorial on how to make the cape. So excited to make this for my granddaughter so she will quit stealing her baby brother’s blankets for capes!

Ana says:

Simply Gorgeous!!! My 2 and a half yr old loves it! We definitely have to make it! Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth says:

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing. Just finished making one as a surprise for my 4 year old. She is going to love it!

Hadley says:

Thanks for the great instructions and decorating ideas!
    I used wrapping paper to make the pattern since that is the only big paper we had on hand.
    Heating the edges took a bit of practice and realizing that the fabric needs to be near the flame, but never actually touching it.
    We made our own stencils by printing out snowflake pictures and cutting them out. An Elmer’s glue stick worked well to tack them down so my little one could paint over them, and then when she was done, the paper came off easily.
    Fun project and the result is so pretty! Thanks again for posting.

Margarita says:

I love this idea… Thank you so much… and your kids looks a lot like mine… I was doing the same put it a blanket over and clip with something… but that was so hot and heavy… my 2 years old going to love it…

Thank you so much.. you are a super Mom…

Gabby says:

We just made them. Super cool. COuld not find snowflake stencils at Joann’s :( Girls did not like the fact that the fraying made the fabric “itchy” but if they don’t use them we can hand them down to someone who is less sensitive . :) Thanks for the project.

Amber says:

I loooooove how you create these awesome capes and all 3 girls have their special age-appropriate touches. SO COOL! Thank you so much for sharing this. (My 5 year old daughter will definitely be helping me with a cape… and I suspect my 3 year old little boy will want one, too.) All very special capes!

Kerry says:

Hi there. Love this! I wish to make one for myself. How would I alter the pattern for an adult? My height obviously but what width etc?

Amy H says:

We love this! My hubby and I decided this is just what my daughter needs! She is going to love it. We have the cape all cut out, and decided we liked the puff paint snowflake idea the best. How did you keep the paint from sticking to whatever was under the fabric? We used organza, and when we put the paint on the fabric ( a scrap piece) it goes thru and gets on the paper we are tracing that is underneath it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Marilyn says:

My granddaughter says it is the best Elsa cape EVER! I found beautiful sparkly organza in a light turquoise color at Joann Fabrics. Added flat button silver snowflakes to the train and at the neck closure. I had practiced (with scraps)heating the edges with a candle and decided my hand was too unsteady to do this without ruining it so I used Fray check on the edges instead. Thank you for sharing your super easy pattern and great directions!

Dee says:

Wow, I don’t think this looks easy at all! It appears to be a great deal of work, in fact. Think I’ll try to find something on line for my five-year-old.

Lol I would not call it easy either! It was confusing for me, a noncrafter, for sure. But such a lovely idea. And it came out great. It would be much easier to skip the template. It’s not worth the stress. Just free hand it. It wont be as perfect but oh well. Everything else was fairly easy. And worth it!

Karen says:

This may be your first feedback from the UK? You have saved my day, can’t thank you enough. Just done the cape ready to decorate, and my daughter wants to adapt her Cinderella dress which will look great with the cape. Thank you!

Christy says:

Thank you so much for sharing! This is so great! :)

Heidi says:

Thank you, I made an Elsa cape and purple princess cape. My niece has never been so happy. So easy and a joy to make. I gave her the cape yesterday and she wore it while watching the movie. She was able to dance and sing around “just like Elsa.” It’s so much fun to give such joy to a child. Thank you, thank you.

Erica F says:

Thank you for this amazing tutorial!! I was able to do this quickly and fairly easily (and I am not crafty at all)! My daughter wanted an Elsa cape so badly for her birthday and I couldn’t find one I liked anywhere – this helped me make her day perfect!

Renee H says:

OMG!!!! It’s like you were reading my mind!!! We watched Frozen, probably 8 months ago….give or take a couple months. Every since then our daughter, who is 10, has been in love with this movie. She has made, I can’t even count, so many videos of her singing Let It Go. And just like your girls, anything and everything has been her cape….this is PERFECT!!!! Thank you so very much. I’m super excited about this project, and I know she is just going to burst. :D

Roana says:

THANK YOU for posting this. I made this cape for my daughter this afternoon. She is over the moon. She wanted a cape like Elsa’s coronation so we used a different fabric…. Worked out perfectly.

Cindy Q says:

I made these tonight for my daughter who will be 4 in Oct. She loved them! She still wants her Elsa dress but making these boughte some time. Great documentation on how to put this together.

My 9 year old wants a homemade Elsa dress for Halloween and this cape is definitely going to be the one I use. Thank you!

Olivia N. says:

I’m a teen girl and I would DIE for one of these!! Seeing as Frozen is a musical and I do musical theatre semi-professionally, this is one prop I feel is almost necessary. Not joking, I have been pinning a blue throw blanket around myself and belting Idina Menzel’s Let It Go to some karaoke on YouTube. I honestly might make these with some friends at a Frozen party I want to have. Now all I need is a tutorial for Anna’s cape!

Charlotte says:

I love the fact that your girls were all involved in the making and that from the same starting point they all made something different. This is such a great idea and thank you for sharing it – we will certainly be swooshing round in a cape over the summer hols now! Do you have a photo gallery where people can upload their creations based on your idea – no cape will be the same and that is the beauty of this simple but very effective idea.

liz says:

I just made this for a friend’s three year old. My little boy is going to help me decorate it for his good friend’s birthday. It’s super easy and a wonderful design. I love how the melted edges look scalloped and it’s so easy! this is awesome.

katy says:

Thanks for this post! I saw it way back when it was first published and knew my daughter would love it! Just a few days ago she asked for an Elsa cape and when we went to the fabric store she didn’t want blue…she wanted pink. Oh 4 year-olds. So hooray for a fun pink “Elsa” cape! Thanks!

Estrella says:

Simply fantastic! I bought some cheap ikea curtains and drew the snow flakes with glitter glue.
    My girls love them!! Even my little son got one! Thank you so much for sharing this great idea!

India says:

My cousins wife had a great idea. With fabric being so expensive she sources. I was told to look for old evening gowns at thrift stores or good will and is them for projects. Hope this helps someone :)

Sk says:

OMG, I am so making these. All morning I kept thinking about how i could make a no sew cape for the frozen tshirt I got for my daughter saw this on Pinterest. Thank you.