Make your own MOON SAND (crumbly, yet moldable and fun!)

Hey, if you have an extra minute or two (max!), will you hop on over and take a quick survey for my site??  I put together a few quick questions to see what you love/hate/wish was better on Make It and Love It.  Are you tired of something?  Wish there was more of something else?  Sometimes I get so used to how things are rolling (you know, like making tacos once a week for dinner because I thought everyone liked them.  Ooops, just found out Elli hates them!)…………..but I have been thinking lately that I’d really love to check in with you all, to see what you really enjoy and what I can maybe tweak a bit.  It keeps things fresh and fun for me too!  (So if you’d like March to be “Taco Month”, I could totally come up with 31 taco variations……Elli would LOVE that!)  So go on…..tell me what you really think! :) -Ashley

. . . . .

We had 2 snow days in a row this week.  And it wasn’t snowing either day.  I mean, there was snow on the ground……but the real reason school was canceled was because it was SO COLD outside.  As in, many degrees below zero…..and supposedly it “felt” like -37 degrees.  I wouldn’t know, because I never left.  Ha.

Anyway, because it was so ridiculously cold, the kids didn’t even want to play outside.  It was definitely nose-hair-freezing-cold though.  Ouch!

So, we had to whip up a few activities to have some indoor fun.  Well, after laundry was done, rooms tidied, and the dishwasher was emptied, of course.  (Leverage is amazing!)

I browsed the internet for something we could do…..and decided on making this stuff, all from stuff around the house:

Make your own Moon Sand (crumbly, yet moldable)........great indoor activity! --- Make It and Love It

Plenty of sites shared their techniques……..so we just meshed them all together.  And made some bright vivid colors.

If you’ve never played with Moon Sand, it’s crumbly and almost “sand” like….

But can also be squished and molded together to create sculptures and shapes.  Pretty trippy stuff.

Chloe loved it.  And got down and dirty in it….which surprised me.  She kept pinching it, mashing it, and crumbling it.  She preferred the “sandy” stage.

While Connor and Elli loved the shaping and molding stage.

Snow Day #2 turned out to be a fun day for these three little nuggets!

(And yeah, it’s kinda messy and will probably fall onto the floor.  However, it cleans up extremely well and whatever happens to get left behind, will just dry up and turn powdery.  Wipe it up or vacuum…….really simple!)

This Moon Sand is pretty entertaining……especially in these bright vivid colors.  And “making” it is probably half the fun!

Want to make some too?

This is all you need.  Corn starch, shaving cream (not gel), and food coloring (optional).

Okay, first of all, squirt a whole bunch (several cups??) of shaving cream into a mixing bowl.  I know other people add the coloring last…..but adding it to the shaving cream helps to blend the color more evenly.  Add several drops of food coloring…

IMG_6869

…and then let the kids mix, mix, mix.

IMG_6876

After the color is completely incorporated, start adding corn starch.  Start with about a 1/2 cup at first.

IMG_6889

Let them mix with their spoons to get it started…

IMG_6903

…but most likely, they’ll want to start using their hands.

IMG_6912

Just keep adding corn starch and moosh and mash until they incorporate…..and the mixture forms into a ball.  If you want a bigger ball, add more shaving cream and more corn starch and repeat.

IMG_6923

And yeah, it’s messy.  That’s why we made it in bowls, and not straight on the table.  But don’t worry about the food coloring.  A little soak in the tub later on, will take care of their hands!

IMG_6931

Such fun stuff!!  And something different from the regular ol’ play-dough.

Yesterday was a snow day SUCCESS!

Let me know if you give this a try and how it went for you!

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Featured, Kid Craft, No Sew

Comments

23 Responses to “Make your own MOON SAND (crumbly, yet moldable and fun!)”
    meekostanton says:

Love it will try this with my children!:)

Carol says:

Do you know if this is like the ‘sand’ that they sell at Brookstone?

yvonne sharpe says:

Hi Ashley,
    you have beautiful children. they seem to love the play dough for sure. I have one little grandson. he”ll be five in May. he lives in Olds Alberta, Canada. too far away from Newfoundland, about 10 hours flight. spent 3 weeks with him last October. my husband and I. Both my daughters live in Alberta ages 36 and 34. I just finished making a reversible bag. I”ve made several since Christmas and three tree skirts. so a few minutes ago I pinned together a quilt ready for free motion quilting or stippling. I have pictures of my quilts on facebook if you like to see them sometime. enjoy the rest of your weekend. God Bless.
    ps. I’d rather be quilting, then cooking. lol yvonne

Awwww, I bet you miss that little grandson! Hope you get to see him soon! :)

I’ll have to look on facebook to see your projects….how fun! You’ve been busy! :)

Monica says:

Any thoughts on how best to store this and how long it might be “good” for?

Thanks for such a great idea. My daughter is home sick but has bursts of feel better time. This will be just the perfect quiet time activity for her.

Thanks a bunch!

Monica

I just place it in ziploc baggies and squeeze all the air out! It will last at least for a few days……because that’s all we’ve had it. I’ll let you know after a couple weeks!

Nancy says:

Hi Ashley, I am sending this to my nephews that have kids and my daughter-in-law. It looks like too much fun! And I see they have neon food coloring? How cool is that. Thanks for posting this.

Lily says:

Great post! you’re a great mum, i wish my mum played with me more often when i was a kid, i was left to my own devices in trying to find stuff to do when i got bored.

I completed the survey btw!

Deedra says:

This is so great, I want to do this with my Daughter for valentines day. I think she would love it.

Kristina Noall says:

I’m trying to let go of my control freak-ness that automatically says “Too messy! Don’t wanna!” :) I’ll have to let my little nutjobs (I mean, boys) try this soon. You know what was also a big hit? Goop. 1 cup water, a few drops food coloring, mix in 2 cups of corn starch. You can roll it into a ball, but then it will start melting. You can pat it in the bowl, but leave your hand there, and it will sink. My oldest was fascinated for hours (NOT something that happens often), and I couldn’t resist it, either. :)
    People keep saying Colorado is a good place for my husband to look for jobs. Thanks for letting me know otherwise! (-37?!?!?)

I know, you totally have to just let them get messy…..it was hard for me at first too. But everything cleans up really well! :) And YES, we love goop around here too!

And oh, CO is incredible! Don’t let that temp scare you……it’s not that common. Because one day it will be cold and snowy and then the next day it’s sunny and therapeutic! The best of both worlds, truly!!! (Let me know if you want to know anything else that may scare you away……or help lure you, for that matter!)

-Ashley

Annie says:

Thank you! My 2.5 year old daughter had a couple of seizures this month, so she has to have an EEG tomorrow. They told us she can only have 4-6 hours of sleep tonight and no nap tomorrow before the test. ahhh!! We kept her up tonight with this moon sand – she loved it and played with it for 2 hours!!! I see much more moon sand in our future (although I will say the smell of shaving cream is really overwhelming – I’m going to see if they have unscented variety next time I’m at the store). Thank you for posting!!!

Gosia says:

That’s a great idea! And so simple! Messy too, but when you have little kids, you just have to live with it :)
    Do you think I could use potato starch instead of corn starch? White corn starch is hard to find where I live.
    Thanks for the idea!

Kara says:

As a preschool teacher I make something similar. Equal parts corn starch and conditioner with a few drops of food coloring. It smells so good! I’ll have to try this recipe now though.

julie says:

just had an amazing afternoon with my 4 crazy kids what a mess we made but what fun. my youngest nearly 3 kept wanting to add the shaving foam as she liked the texture hers turned out like it should in the end .

Alexandra says:

I made this and was experimenting. I found out if you add lotion it turns into silly putty.
    It’s so cool! You should try it! Thanks of the recipe!