Make your own Balaclava (or ski-type mask)

Our Colorado skies have dropped several thick blankets of snow lately…..and my kids are in absolute HEAVEN!  Even if we don’t have time to head to a sledding hill, they are perfectly content stepping outside in the backyard building snow castles, making snow angels, throwing snow balls, and well, just plain ol’ kicking around in this stuff!  And me?  I usually watch them from inside…….with my slippers on!  It’s a tough job……but someone needs to have full feeling in their fingers to make the hot cocoa afterwards. :)

But, I’m pretty sure kids don’t have a functioning internal thermometer….because those little rascals can stay out there for the longest time.  And the biggest reason they come in, is because their face is cold.  And their poor little noses are FROZEN.

And bless Connor’s little heart, he has my thin skin (sorry buddy…..blame grandma!).  So the moment he runs around doing any type of exercise, his face gets flushed.  And once he steps outside in the cold…..the same thing, his skin immediately gets flushed.  So, once they all come in to defrost from an hour or so of playing outside in the snow, his cheeks are the reddest of all.  And take the longest to turn back to normal flesh color.

So……he was my first subject.  Because those frozen red cheeks/nose, were screaming at me to help keep them warm!

So, I made him a super-quick Balaclava.  All from some scrap fleece……and a little fold-over elastic.  Simple.

Make your own Balaclava (or ski-type mask)......and stay toasty warm! --- Make It and Love It

The opening of the Balaclava is stretchy…..so if it starts bugging him, or if he feels warm enough, he can pull it down under his chin.

But brrrrrrrr………..when it’s chilly outside, you know it’s that steamy breath that helps keep your face warm.  This very breathable Balaclava keeps all that warmth held right in.

The top is nice and snug, to conform to his head….but also helps keep the opening right at his eyes.  It also comes down long enough to cover his neck and to stay tucked into his jacket.

It’s totally perfect for this little snow bunny.  (And for the record…….he calls this his “Clumsy Ninja” mask.  And even wears it inside, while doing his “Clumsy Ninja” moves.  Ha!  Does anyone else have that app?  Pretty cute.)

Alright buddy……now you are ready to stay outdoors for hours.

I guess I better hurry and make your sisters one.  And me too, for that matter (I do love sledding)! This Colorado winter isn’t getting any warmer…

Would you like to make one too?

Supplies:

• Fleece, 1/2 of a yard
  • Fold-Over Elastic, 1 yard (5/8 – 3/4 inch wide)
  • Paper Balaclava Pattern (fit for my 5 year old, with a large head….make adjustments as necessary)

I created the paper pattern to fit my 5 year old just right.  He, however, has a large head.  So, it’s probably more like a 10 year old head.  However, kids’ heads don’t grow much past the age of 2-3…..up until adulthood.  So the pattern I made may fit your adult head perfectly.  If not (or it doesn’t fit your child like you’re wanting), you’ll have to shrink it down just a bit, as needed.

Use the pattern (or create your own) to cut out 2 pieces, with right sides together.  BE SURE TO CUT YOUR BALACLAVA PIECES WITH THE STRETCH GOING FROM RIGHT TO LEFT….SO THAT IT WILL STRETCH CORRECTLY OVER THE HEAD.

IMG_6200

Then, place the pieces together with right sides together….and then sew together around the the top and sides (using a 1/4 inch seam allowance), skipping the cutout for the eyes.  Be sure and leave the bottom edge open as well.

IMG_6201

Sew another straight seam, right next to the first one, for extra reinforcement.

IMG_6209

Then, begin pinning your fold-over elastic around the eye opening of your balaclava…..sandwiching it around the edge of your fleece.  As you’re folding your elastic around the fleece, pull the elastic slightly, to help ease the elastic around the curves and to keep it from puckering when you sew.  You’re not going to stretch it a ton…..just ever so slightly.  Use pins to keep it in place.

((**Why Fold-Over Elastic?  Well, it’s really soft [generally used as a waistband for underwear] and isn’t bulky, like other elastics.  It also maneuvers really well around the curves and will help your balaclava keep its shape.  I have found mine on etsy.com and have even seen it lately in fabric stores, like Joann’s.))

IMG_6210

IMG_6216

Once you make it all the way around, leave the two ends of elastic free…….and then sew the pinned areas of the elastic in place, with a zig-zag stitch.  Just be sure to leave several inches free at both ends of your elastic. (If your elastic is pulling and stretching out as you sew, increase the stitch length a bit, so that it will skip over more fabric with more stitch…..which will help with the pulling.)

IMG_6221

I used the center seam of the front of the balaclava as my guide for where I would join my two elastic ends…….so I pulled one end over to where it would reach the seam of the fleece and placed a pin there.

IMG_6225

I did the same with the other elastic end and added a pin.

IMG_6228

Then, I placed the two elastic ends together, with right sides together…..then pinned them together, right where the two original pins were placed.  Then, I sewed a seam right where the pin was inserted.

IMG_6230

Trim off the excess elastic ends, then sandwich the remaining elastic around the rest of the eye opening.  Pin in place.

IMG_6234

Then continue zig-zagging the rest of the way around.

IMG_6235

Add more fold-over elastic around the bottom of the balaclava…..the exact same way.

IMG_6242

And that’s it!  A quick balaclava for this chilly weather! :)

Good luck!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Accessory, Children, Featured, Miscellaneous, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

36 Responses to “Make your own Balaclava (or ski-type mask)”

PERFECT TIMING!! Just looking for one for my boys… I can’t find the pattern to print. Will you be adding it soon? Thank you!!

Sorry, I forgot to actually add the pattern to the pattern page. Oh gee. :) If you follow the link in the tutorial, it’s there now….all the way at the bottom. -Ashley

Nicole Z. says:

I’m not finding the pattern. Hoping to make one of these for each of my kids!

Ack, sorry, I forgot to actually add the pattern to the pattern page. Oh gee. :) If you follow the link in the tutorial, it’s there now….all the way at the bottom. -Ashley

Allison says:

Wow! This is SUCH a good idea. THanks for sharing!

Silvana says:

I can’t find the pattern to print.

Oops, sorry, I forgot to actually add the pattern to the pattern page. Oh gee. :) If you follow the link in the tutorial, it’s there now….all the way at the bottom. -Ashley

Susan M. says:

I so needed this tute last week when we had sub-zero temps and snow here in NC!

BTW, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what “baklava” and a ski-mask had to do with each other and got so tickled when I realized that I had misread the “baklava”. Had a good laugh at myself!

Hahahahaha!!! That’s hilarious! But, it totally looks similar….and that’s kinda why I added the “ski mask” part to the title. Because most people probably don’t know the name of this thing!

• 5.1.1
        Maureen M. says:

I did the same thing…it does say balaclava but my mind read baklava…not sure what that says about me and Susan M. :) Maybe that could be another tutorial, though…

Darlene says:

cant find the pattern either

Oh, sorry, I forgot to actually add the pattern to the pattern page. Oh gee. :) If you follow the link in the tutorial, it’s there now….all the way at the bottom. -Ashley

Mary says:

Do you have a pattern for muff? I would like to put alittle zipper pocket inside of it.

sorahart says:

Very clever! I never would have thought about making these at home. So fun!

las says:

What size fold over elastic did you use? I can’t wait to try these.

I used 5/8 inch wide elastic…..but a 3/4 inch elastic would work too. And thanks for asking….I just added that to the supply list. :)

Grammy says:

Is the elastic necessary? What if you serge the raw edges? This will be for a 1 year old. I printed the pattern at 85%. Thanks

Karen says:

A few months ago I was searching for a balaclava pattern so I could make one for my daughter. She is 5, and it is COLD in Saskatchewan (Canada). Most balaclavas that you buy here are black – I wanted something cute! So a sincere thank you! for providing this pattern. It is exactly what I was hoping for.

Katy Roberson says:

Thank you! I have never thought of making one of these, but I know that my kids would be so grateful so they could play in the snow even longer!

Amber says:

It is like you knew exactly what I needed! Joann’s has all their remnant fleece 50% off of the already discounted price. I have enough fleece to make 5 and spend less then $10! Best. Post.Ever! Ok, not ever, but very exciting to this mom!!!

Trish says:

What an excellent idea! Today, I wished I had had one of these. It’s been so cold, I’m wearing a Santa’s helper hat to bed at night. Keeping the head covered is sooooo important. Glad you shared this idea. I’ll be sewing one for my family members. Thanks again.

nikki says:

awesome, so glad you shared this

Mary says:

A muff is a hand warmer. They use to wear them in 1940′s-50′s.
    It looks like a tube but wide. It could have a long ribbon attached to wear around the neck, or a wristlets type to wear at your wrist.

Laura says:

I actually made one of these for my little guy a couple years ago when he was 3. I couldn’t find one in any store that was small enough. It looked very homemade. At the time, I wasn’t familiar with fold-over elastic. I may try making my boys some new ones with a great fleece that actually look professional this time around!

Nancy Morin says:

Perfect Item…Perfect sewing directions…love this

Ellen says:

We love our “Ninja” masks! The kids can be seen wearing them all year too while playing “ninja” with each other!

Anne says:

This is awesome!!! I’ve linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip:

–Anne

Kathy says:

I made one of these for my husband several years back..he only had a black cotton one?!?! I used our leftover fleece from one of your other tutorials. Ever since then each of the kids have asked for one of their own. I had to modify it for my 5 yo because the seams bothered her, so I folded my fabric and only did a seam in the back and top of head. Happy family now!

Heather says:

Totally misread this and was expecting a recipe for that delicious flaky Greek pastry…. LOL

Leslie says:

your elastic looks so nice and flat…mine turned out a bit wavy. Did i pull too much? maybe not pull enough when pinning? or my stitch length was too short? it fits so nice around your sons nose and eyes (maybe just because you made the pattern for his head?) the rest fits my sons head perfect, just not the cutout eye area.

Danielle says:

OMG. Thank you so much for this!!!! I saw this in the newsletter I get from Make It & Love It, best thing ever. I was super excited because the two-year-old I nanny for has thin skin too. Her poor little cheeks take such a beating! They get red and puffy like someone slapped her :( We put this eczema cream on, just her cheeks get like this in cold weather. And we like in PA. So this is PERFECT for her and our upcoming ski trip. Yes, like we don’t have enough snow here. LOL. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Now let’s just hope I can make it look as good as yours!!!! PS I made her a little rag doll from the pattern here, OMG she LOVES her doll!!!!!! Let me tell you, I am loving this blog!!!!! So thanks a million, Ashley!!!!!!!

Veronica says:

Thank you for sharing! My son has also been asking for a “ninja mask.” I found a pattern that I was going to make work, but your pattern is much better!

Suzette says:

Thanks for this pattern. I used it to make a Ninja mask for my son.

CAPERNIUS says:

This is a very cool idea!! TY for sharing.

I have been wanting to make a warm winter hat for when I take my dog out to do his “business”…

Though you made this for your son, I can adapt it to fit me & maybe change a few things so it does not look like it was made/designed for a small boy.

BTW, I just LOVE that orange color!