Double Layer SQUARE Circle Dress (added onto a T-shirt)

Okay, a new year……and a lot of fun new things to share!  My brain (and possibly my hands) can’t even keep up with what I’d really like to accomplish this year.  I’ll just have to pick and choose…..but I’m pretty excited!

However, to get things started off right, how about a sweet little dose from my youngest (and ahem, spiciest?) child, Chloe.  (I’m not kidding……the spice that comes out of this child is kind of jaw-dropping some days.) This morning, I was making this quick little dress before the kiddos were awake (and am now posting at nap time….whew) and Chloe came down the stairs in her jammies and asked, “hey, what are you makin’ momma?“  I looked at her excitedly and said, “a dress for you!“  She quickly responded with a high pitched happy 2-year-old squeal and said, “YAAAY!“

Ha……that’s just too easy!  I’ll sew you 7 dresses a day if you always act that excited. :)

And you know, I could totally make 7 of these dresses in a day…….because they are simple, simple, simple.  My FAVORITE!

A T-shirt, a little knit fabric, minimal sewing (remember, it’s knit, so skip those hems!)……..and DONE!

square circle dress

And all I did was combine the Circle Dress tutorial with the Square Circle Skirt tutorial.  Another 2 of my favorites…..so yeah, no surprise I squished them into one. :)

circle dress plus square circle skirt

So, yeah, a little twist from the regular ol’ circle dress……but with a little variation along the hem.

double layer square circle skirt3

double layer square circle skirt4

However, instead of leaving the waist-line plain…..I added a quick little ruched belt.  Don’t get scared…..this version really is simple.

double layer square circle skirt6

The belt is tied around to the back…..in a floppy bow. And boy, do those layers give the skirt portion some movement. Perfect for twirling!

double layer square circle skirt

And this girl?  She loves it!  Which isn’t surprising because dresses are her favorite thing to wear.  ABSOLUTE favorite!

IMG_9727

If you have, oh……about 45 minutes to spare, you can make one too.  Really, that easy! :)

double layer square circle skirt2

Let’s get started….

Be sure and pull up the Circle Dress tutorial and the Square Circle Skirt tutorial.  Most of what you need come right from those two tutorials.

So yes, place your 2 square pieces of fabric, turning the top layer a quarter turn.  Or, wait, that’s an eighth of a turn, right?

IMG_9534

Match up the center holes and pin them together.

IMG_9536

Then place your cut off shirt together with your circle opening, with right sides together, and pin them together.  Sew it together…..just like the tutorial above.

IMG_9546

This is the only new part……the belt.  All I did was cut a long strip of fabric that was about 6 inches wide and 70 inches long.  (Nope, didn’t hem anything at all…..because knit is your friend!  However, you can make a tube, turn right side out, etc, if you want.  Just adjust your amount of fabric.)  I placed the strip across the front of the dress, hiding the seam that attaches the shirt to the skirt portion.  (Just be sure to match up the center of the strip with the center of the dress front.)  Then, I sort of bunched up the strip a bit, tucking the top and bottom edge under.  Then I placed 2 pins along the front of the dress, as if I had split the shirt into thirds.

IMG_9553

Then, I sewed a vertical line across the scrunched up belt, securing it to the front of the dress….right where the two pins were.  Do the same along both sides of the dress as well.

IMG_9562

Also, whatever height you scrunch the belt to at one spot, be sure you scrunch it the same amount at all other locations.  For example, my belt width was 6 inches originally bit I scrunched it down to about 2.5 inches and sewed right over the top…….at all 4 spots.

IMG_9556

Then, pull the rest of the belt around to the back and tie into a bow.

Done!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing

Comments

45 Responses to “Double Layer SQUARE Circle Dress (added onto a T-shirt)”
    Julie Snow says:

Darling! I love your knit print! And your wallpaper in the background is to DIE FOR!!!!

Rosanna says:

Love those colours together but woah, hold on a minute – she’s GROWN! I remember reading about making a receiving blanket for her and now she’s a tiny person. Scary how the years fly by!

Terri says:

I think this is one I could slip in between my quilting time and “other” time. I have a 3-yr-old granddaughter I can see loving this dress! Thanks for the tute and the absolutely easiest pattern I’ve seen!

susie says:

Absolutely cute, and the sash is brilliant!

Katherine says:

Oh. My. Goodness. My 3.5yo would adore this dress! It is definitely going on my “To Do” list.
    Thank you for the tutorial.

maryam says:

very very nice…

Lynette says:

Very, super cute! Love the color combo—and the belt totally finished off the whole dress!

Lisa says:

LOVE it!! Uh, is that wall paper on the wall behind her? So beautiful! And your floors look fabulous. Did you guys do all that? I just love your blog!

Samantha says:

I have a stack of knit t-shirts that have holes near the bottom edge that I have been saving for a project like this. My only question is where do you find such cute printed knits? I have looked at a few fabric stores and haven’t really found anything I have loved, mostly just solids. Thanks for another awesome tutorial, can’t wait to make some of these!

hamna says:

Yes I want to know where you get this print too.

Amanda says:

Yes, where do you get your knit fabric from?

I bought this fabric at Joann’s, I’m pretty sure…..it’s just been a while. Knit fabric is tricky to find at times so when I see some, I buy it up. Even if I don’t even know what I’ll use it for. :) But I have also seen random cute prints at Hancock and online at fabric.com. Also, chezami.com has a lot of cute knits. :)

Amy says:

Love this simple dress! I also would like to know where you buy your knit fabric. We have such a limited selection of knit in our local fabric stores.

Tif says:

This is such a darling dress and her pose in the first pic is absolutely precious! Cute, cute, cute!!

Kate says:

So simple, yet so good looking! I’m going to make one for my daughter this weekend :)

Mindy says:

aw, love how they love what you do!

Dianne says:

I’m going to make this for an adult! Can you imagine how good you’d feel — and look– in this dress. Little Chloe captures the spirit of the dress just right!

Mary says:

What an adorable model you have she looks like she was having a great time.

Stacey says:

Chloe and her dress are adorable! I’m loving the wall in the background!! Is that wallpaper?? Would love to know the source.

I love this! I don’t have any little girls to sew for (only boys in my house) but I want one of these myself. Any idea how much fabric I would need to make one for me?

Heidi says:

Hi, I love your blog! Thanks for all the great ideas… I was just wondering if anyone else is getting the e-mails for posts 3 days after they were put up?! It has just been the last 2 or 3… Just curious because I don’t want to miss out on anything. Thanks!

Yeah Heidi, that was my fault. I was playing around with the email subscription, trying to see if I can get it to run a little more smoothly and then a few emails weren’t sent, so I had to send them late, in case people only check their email for updates. Ack! Sorry, that shouldn’t happen again. :)

Ellie says:

May 2014 be good to you Ashley! Cute dress! but not as cute as the model!! Love your wallpaper :)

Kara says:

So cute!! My sister is getting married in a couple months and I’d love to make one of these dresses for each of my three daughters in the wedding colors. :) Where did you get that cute knit fabric? That would be the perfect color.

Hey Kara, I’ve had it a while but I’m pretty sure I got it at Joann’s. Knit fabric is so hit or miss sometimes……I just buy it when I see it. Try there and Hancock or try online at fabric.com. You may find something similar! :)

Melissa says:

I used to sew but stopped because I had no inspiration….You are giving me NEW INSPIRATION! I think I’m going to pick it up again. Thanks

KatieQ says:

This is absolutely incredible. Feel free to wear the genius cap, because this is great. Thanks for sharing.

Shannon says:

I loved making the dress! And I wanted to post a photo since I have the EXACT same wood flooring as you do (but I can’t figure out how to add a pic) !

Becky says:

would this pattern also work for a onsie for a baby?

eva says:

Love it!!!I’m going to make one for my daughter,thanks:)

28. 27.1
    mary says:

Hi I’m new here love your work, you are very clever and you make everything seem so simple.

29. 27.1
    Deirdre says:

This is so stinking cute and simple