Chocolate Cracker Toffee……sweet and salty…..YUM!

Word on the street, is that there’s a really big football game this weekend.  Some have been closely watching the games and counting down the days to this final game (aka: the Super Bowl).  In fact, true fans are probably painting their bodies green or orange……as we speak.  I, however, just barely realized like a week ago that our very own Denver Broncos are playing in the super bowl this weekend.  Ack, I KNOW!!!!  It’s kind of un-American of me!  Don’t tell anyone……but I’m not a huge football fan.  Especially pro.  I like a good college football game, with friends and family.  But the only thing that excites me about the Super Bowl, is the commercials.  Shhhhhh…….don’t gasp too loudly, or my neighbors will hear.  (And in case you forgot, I live in Colorado…..and yes, the Denver Broncos are kind of a big deal around these parts!  Ooops.)

Anyway, I mentioned I like the commercials.  But I forgot something equally as enjoyable……the FOOD!!! :)

And yes siree, I have plenty of ideas pinned to my SNACK TIME Pinterest board.  Yum!

Most of the ideas on that board are savory…….but my sister had the great idea to make something a little sweet, that we used to make growing up.  Our neighbor (who was practically family to us) would make this and bring it over on special occasions.  We eventually adopted the recipe and would make it whenever we could convince our mom to buy all the ingredients. :)

So, if you’re in need of a sweet and salty treat for this weekend, this one only takes minutes to make!

Chocolate Cracker Toffee...sweet and salty...YUM!  The FASTEST toffee you'll ever make! --- Make It and Love It

I have seen this recipe pop up other places but noticed that others like to use saltine or soda crackers.  However, Club Crackers are blow-your-socks-off, way better for this recipe!  They have a different crispness to them than soda/saltine crackers and a bit more of a buttery flavor, which is great when you’re making toffee.  Yum!

Oh, you want me to show you how delicious these are??  Don’t mind if I do…

Chocolately, a bit of salty crispiness, and then plenty of sweet toffee goodness….all in one bite.

Oh, and if you’re gluten free (like my sister and I are), we found a great alternate to the club crackers.  Yeah, these are not exactly the same…..but they come close.  And made our tummy’s very happy! :)

By the way, don’t think for one minute that this is a labor intensive toffee.  No candy thermometer is needed…..so it’s seriously the fastest toffee you’ll ever make!

Oh Cracker Toffee…..it’s been too long since we’ve made you.  Glad you’ve made a come back in our kitchen!

Want to make some too?

Before we get started, here’s your shopping list:

Keebler Club crackers (35 – 50. depending on pan size)

1 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped nuts (any variety)

IMG_7924

Line your jelly roll pan (with an edge) with tin foil.  It makes for an easy clean up and easy to get out of the pan.  Spread a thin layer of butter on top of the foil…..for easy removal later on.  Line your crackers on top of the butter-greased foil and fill in as much space as possible. Cut or break the crackers along the edges, to make them fit.

IMG_8039

Place your butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat and stir until melted.

IMG_8050

Mix well and let it come to a boil.  Continue stirring and let it boil for two minutes, being careful not to burn.

IMG_8368

Pour brown sugar and butter over crackers making sure it covers evenly on all the crackers.

IMG_8381

IMG_8390

Put this in the oven for 5 minutes in a 350 (F) degree oven.  After you pull it out, you’ll probably notice that the crackers are a little discombobulated.  That is OK.  The toffee hasn’t set at this point so move them back to their places with a fork.  Do not touch the crackers with your bare hands or you will get burned.

IMG_8399

If you are gluten free like we are, these table crackers from Glutino work well.  It is not quite the same as the Keebler Club crackers, but it works.  The only difference is that they are much thinner.  If you happen to find these exact crackers, we placed one layer of crackers in the cookie sheet and used half of the butter and sugar mixture and spread that evenly. Then we placed a second layer of these crackers over that and poured the remaining butter/sugar mixture on top.  (Depending on your pan size, you may need a little extra brown sugar/butter mixture.  If this is the case, increase your butter and your brown sugar each by 1/4 cup.)  Bake as directed.  Not too shabby, right?

IMG_8360

Sprinkle your chocolate chips over the hot crackers.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow the chocolate chips to melt.  When they are melted, spread the chocolate around with a knife.

IMG_8416

If you are nuts for nuts go ahead and sprinkle a few (any variety) on top, while the chocolate is still melted.  This will help the nuts to stick and not fall off as much when it is handled.

IMG_8425

If you want them to set quickly, stick them in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.  Shortcuts are great!

Once the chocolate is set, you can get them ready to cut or break in pieces.  The best way to get the foil off is to peel the foil off the toffee rather pulling the toffee off the foil.  To do this, flip the whole thing upside down on some plastic wrap and peel the foil off of the crackers.

Now you can either break into pieces or cut into squares.

That’s it!  Great toffee…..with great texture!

Here’s the recipe, ready for printing!

Filed under Desserts, Featured, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

28 Responses to “Chocolate Cracker Toffee……sweet and salty…..YUM!”
    Peggy says:

Wow! I love these made with saltines but have not made them lately because I switched to gluten free this year. As I was reading this post I was thinking ‘I really need to find a GF cracker to make these with’. Thanks for the tip on the GF crackers! You are awesome!

cucicucicoo says:

Yum! I’d never seen these before. I love toffee, but am way too lazy to ever make it, but this is just too easy to be true! :) Lisa

Marge says:

Can you use brown sugar splenda ? These really sound yummy!

I have not worked too much with Splenda, but I think it will be worth a try. I took a gander on the Splenda website and it looks like it may work. I’m not sure if it will harden or not. Let me know how it turns out.

Donna says:

I think it says on the Splenda pack that it doesn’t work well in candy type recipes, but I have not tried it.

Jennifer says:

We love these so much. It’s even better with a can of sweetened condensed milk stirred into the brown sugar/butter mixture after it’s done cooking! (boil two minutes, take off stove, stir in milk, spread on crackers; bake closer to 10 minutes, or even 15, until bubbly)

Carole M says:

That’s okay, I’m Canadian and don’t like hockey.

Diana says:

Okay that is next on my “to make list “!! LOL thanks for sharing

carrie says:

I make these with graham crackers and add marshmallows on top of the chocolate and nuts. Place back in oven until they are golden brown. Delicious!! Rocky Road Bark is what we call it.

Rita says:

Hmmm….. sounds yummy, and I was looking for a snack to make for the Super Bowl. We’ll be watching it right here in Broomfield, Colorado. Been a Bronco fan since the 1970s and so this game is going to be SWEET, (hopefully not salty).
    ;-)

Ellie says:

I made a half-batch last night and they were delish. I was glad for your tip about turning the whole thing over and peeling the foil off instead of trying to do it the other way around. There’s some left. Can you think of any way I can justify eating them for breakfast? :-)

marlene says:

could you use parchment paper instead of foil? possibly make it easier to get off

Emma says:

I am gluten free too! I might need to try to make these soon!

Mary says:

I made a batch of these earlier tonight. They have not set yet, even though it’s been a couple of hours. Is it possible to over boil the toffee mixture?

If the toffee hasn’t set yet it sounds like it wasn’t cooked long enough. It may be that your oven doesn’t get hot enough, in a more humid area, or differing elevation? Either boil a minute longer or bake in the oven a bit longer keeping an eye it (you don’t want to burn it). It could be possible to over boil making it hard to bite through.

• 12.1.1
        Mary says:

I made another 1/2 batch with one big change. I didn’t stir the butter and sugar mixture when boiling. That made a huge difference. The first batch finally set-up, but the toffee was grainy and soft. The second batch was awesome and crisp. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Donna A. says:

I had to put my batch in the fridge for couple of hours, but then set beautifully. I let come to room temp before cutting.

Donna A. says:

I made this today… so easy and so delish! I didn’t have club crackers so I used graham crackers instead. Of course, very sweet, even more so with graham crackers. Enjoying NOW during Super Bowl. I’m not a big game watcher… like you Ashley; not big into the pros. It’s fun to watch with a party group though. thanks for such an easy treat to make. I’ll use it many times again.

Donna A. says:

OH, and I used a Silpat instead of foil…no need to butter. Moved Silpat to cutting board to cut. Since this is so rich, i cut the squares diagonally again to make a smaller portion.

dieta says:

Wow. It is so easy to make and looks delicious.
    Gave my will, I will do running.

Nicole Anderson says:

These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them out; they look simple enough for even this inexperienced cook to make! Thanks si much for the easy-to-follow directions!

michael says:

oh wow, those look delicious, I could eat a hand full of those right now!! I printed your post so that I can try these. :-)

visit my site sometime,
    Michael :-)

Ronda S says:

I’ve made these twice between Saturday and Thursday………totally wiped out in a short time! LOVE IT!!!

carol says:

what is a cup of butter in metric measurements

Donna says:

A friend of mine made these many years ago. I couldn’t remember how she did it, so thank you. I’ll be making these soon :)

Azu says:

What a great idea, so simple and I bet delicious! Thanks for sharing