EASY Chocolate & Marshmallow Holiday Cookie (plus, a GLUTEN FREE version)

Okay, the title says “Holiday” cookie but that’s only because we added some crushed candy canes to the top.  So, if you’re reading this in let’s say, June,……..skip the candy canes and just ignore that “Holiday” title.  Haha!  These little devilish treats are good an ol’ time of year.  :)

Also, if you like to take lots of time prepping, shaping, and creating your cookies…….this is NOT the cookie for you.  Ha.  And that’s because this is super speedy, foolproof, and holy-smokes……..AMAZING!!!!  HOWEVER, you will surely trick those who you share this with, into thinking that you spent a good amount of time making them. :)

Anyway, my sister Robin needed a fun dessert to bring to a church function tonight and she had 2 stipulations; fast and delicious.  So we whipped these up this morning before the kids were even up for school.  I told you they were fast, right?  And after they were off to school, we put the toppings on in no time at all.  Done, done, and done.  All 120 of them! :)

And the result??

Blow-your-socks-off DELICIOSO!!!!!  No joke.

The idea came from Our Best Bites……but we adapted the recipe a bit and added a ganache drizzle and candy cane sprinkle.  Oh yum!  And they’re perfect for Robin’s gathering tonight.

quick and easy chocolate marshmallow cookie

The reason these are so fast……is that the cookie base is made with 3 ingredients.  A cake mix, some eggs, and shortening.  (Have you made cake mix cookies?  They’re crisp around the edges and soft and chewy in the middle.  Everything a cookie ought to be.  Truly. :)

But the marshmallow layer, ganache drizzle, and slight candy cane crunch makes these a master piece!

chocolate and marshmallow cookie

Once you bite into that layer of marshmallow though, oh gee, that’s what gets me every time!  Chewy, fluffy, and mmmmmmmm, so good!

chocolate marshmallow cookie

Oh wait, you know I’m gluten free, right?  Were you wondering what I was doing biting into that cookie? (Thanks for watching out for me! ;) )

Don’t worry, we tried them with a gluten free cake mix…….and guess what?  Just as mouth-watering delicious.  (And just as easy……which isn’t usually the case for gluten free bakes items!)  Oh, and I’ve already had 3.  Yes, all this morning. :)

gluten free chocolate marshmallow cookies

These have just graduated to my go-to cookie for company, social gatherings……or hey, any ol’ occassion I can think of!  (Does doing a batch of laundry count as reason to celebrate?  I’m gonna say YES!.)

easy chocolate marshmallow cookie

Want to pull up a chair and enjoy a cookie or two (or five!) with me??

No more chatting, time to gather a few things.

But all you need are 7 ingredients.  And that’s only if you count the candy canes.  But truly, so simple!

IMG_6966

And the cookie portion…….is only 3 ingredients!

Place an entire cake mix, 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening, and 2 eggs into a large mixing bowl.

IMG_6850

Beat until well blended.

IMG_6857

The consistency is pretty thick, like play dough.

IMG_6863

Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large baking sheet and use a cookie scoop (1 3/4 inch in diameter) to create even cookie dough balls.  (You can also roll the balls in your hand.  The scoop we used holds 1.5 tablespoons.)  Bake in preheated 350 (F) oven for 9-11 minutes.  (The cookies should come out slightly crispy on the edges and soft in the middle.)

IMG_6872

While baking, cut your extra large (campfire) marshmallows into thirds with some kitchen shears.  When the cookies are done, pull them out and place a slab of marshmallow in the center of each cookie.

IMG_6877

Place back into the oven for 2 more minutes to toast and also help secure the marshmallow to the cookie.  Pull the cookies out and let cool while you make your chocolate ganache.

IMG_6891

Now, this is a trick my sister recently showed me that will help eliminate problems with your chocolate seizing and becoming a big clumpy mess.  And is all done in the microwave……so it’s a bit faster.

First, heat a 1/2 cup of whipping cream in the microwave, to almost boiling.  Then, heat an empty glass bowl in the microwave for 1 minute, just to warm it up.  (Be sure to use a hot pad to pull it out.) Then, pour in 1 cup of chocolate chips to the warm bowl.

IMG_6899

Slowly add your steaming cream to the chocolate chips, stirring continuously.

IMG_6906

Continue adding cream and stirring until your chocolate chips are melted and smooth.

making ganache

If your chips aren’t fully melted, place in the microwave and heat for 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until completely smooth.

IMG_6918

Use a spoon to scoop your ganache into the corner of a plastic baggie.

IMG_6920

Cut a small hole in the tip of the baggie and squeeze the ganache onto the cookies in narrow lines, back and forth, back and forth.

IMG_6941

Crush some candy canes or peppermint candies.

IMG_6896

And then sprinkle onto your cookies.

IMG_6953

And no lie………….you’ve just made some incredibly delicious cookies, that truly taste better than the effort you put into them. :)

Ready to make your own??

Now, enjoy!!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor

Filed under Desserts, Featured, gluten free, Holiday, Recipes

Comments

36 Responses to “EASY Chocolate & Marshmallow Holiday Cookie (plus, a GLUTEN FREE version)”
    Stephanie says:

These look AMAZING!! Now I wish I was doing Christmas baking this year.

Do you think butter would work instead of shortening?

Thanks for the recipe!

You could try it! It may change the consistency just a bit and may make them a little flatter. But it doesn’t hurt to try. And the flavor will probably be the same……it’s just the texture that will just be a bit different. Let me know how it goes! :)

Patti says:

I’ve made cake mix cookies with a 1/2 cup oil instead of the shortening. They turned out crispy and chewy like they should.

Patti says:

These look delicious! I’m going to make them dairy free with a few changes for my family. I love it when recipes are easy to alter for food allergies.

Kristina Noall says:

Ooh, I just decided last night that my neighbor gifts would be non-food this year, but now I’m conflicted! Tell Robin she’s a great influence! :) I was also wondering about the butter question.

Kristina Noall says:

Oops, I think you answered just as I asked. Thanks!

KaTrina Anderson says:

Look amazing! Do these store well? Like if I needed to make them a couple of days ahead for a party would they still be good?

We always eat them pretty fast but they should store well if covered and sealed tight. And then place in a cool garage or the fridge just to keep the chocolate from melting. But the cookies are pretty moist and should keep pretty well.

Good luck!

Robert Johnston says:

I’ll be over

Lynette says:

Those look delicious! I would normally say, oh darn it takes whipping cream and that’s expensive…but I have three cartons in my fridge! Yay! :) I will have to make them soon…just need a cake mix!

Oh my goodness, these look wonderful! And so perfect for this season. Can’t wait to try them :)

Cora says:

Going to try these with a sugar-free cake mix for diabetic and calorie counting friends!

I’m making these with gf brownie mix instead of cake mix… I happen to have two boxes! I think they’ll work juuust fine. Thanks for the recipe!

Michelle says:

This look so amazing! Does the chocolate sauce (chocolate chips + whipping cream) harden when it cools or do they stay soft?

Luanne says:

It will stay soft but not gooey like, it holds itself like ganache. I have mine in the fridge using chocolate chips and all purpose cream.

Cristin says:

Hi! Thank you for sharing this, I have a family party to go to in a week to celebrate about 5 different family birthdays..had to figure out an easy cute thing to bring for each of them. These are pretty and easy and will look great packaged as gifts :)

Rachel says:

I’m finding the cookies don’t appear done after 11 minutes? I am using a same size scoop. The insides seemed to be really liquidy when I took them out.

Oh shoot, sorry about that. Altitudes and ovens can always cause variation in cook time. Keep them in a little longer, until they cook through more than that. They should be slightly crisp around the edges and slightly chewy in the middle.

Good luck!

Amy says:

Just made these tonight & they’re surprisingly light & fluffy… And delicious!

cin says:

made them for a party tonite … used butter,
    BUT snipped too big a hole in the zip-bag and it was, well, um, errrr …a bit of a mess …
    but, i guess crushed candy canes saved the ugli-ness.

thanks for the great instructions, being very visual, it was great for me!

Happy Holidays!

Jodi says:

Just made these and they are sooooo good warm out of the oven – like a peppermint s’more! I used the Jet-puffed peppermint marshmallows I found at Walmart and they were the perfect size, didn’t have to cut them. I also used coconut oil instead of Crisco. They turned out great and they smell wonderful while baking.

Rachel says:

Turns out that 11 minutes was fine (I am at 50 feet above sea level, lol)…..they were fully cooked by the time the marshmallow melted, and if I kept them in past 11 minutes and then melted marshmallows the cookies were quite hard and overbaked. Also worth noting that you need to let the ganache cool some or it will melt through your baggie……good cookie!

Laurel says:

I made these and my family loved them! In fact, we decided this is going to be the treat we make for our neighbors this year instead of our traditional pumpkin rolls. So tasty and SO EASY! I made mine with just butter (because I only had regular shortening on hand and wanted to butter flavor) and had no problem with the texture. Also, I cut the marshmellows into 4′s instead of 3′s on the second pan and liked that better. And, I loved the candy cane on top! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Jill says:

The gf Betty Crocker cake mix only makes 12 cupcakes or 8 x 8 pan but regular cake mixes make 24 cupcakes or a 9 x 13. Do you still use the same amount of shortening etc for both? Or do I need 2 Betty Crocker gf cake mixes?

Nicole says:

Hey, Ask Robin if Coconut milk would work in place of the whipping cream, for a dairy free version. I have my gf/df chocolate chips!

Kristy says:

These are soooo good! We did marshmallows in fourths as well and I thought that was perfect. We did some with candy canes and some with Christmas sprinkles!