Thanksgiving (or any meal) Name Place Ribbons

Thanksgiving is going to be at our house again this year.  Which makes it easier because Steve (my husband) has to work that morning at the hospital and hopefully once he gets home, we can all enjoy our holiday meal.  It makes it a little easier on us, so I’m glad some of our family is willing to travel to our home again this year.

And since my sister Robin is living with us for a little while (and can help me create things), we decided to add a few extra touches this year.

Nothing too extravagant or time consuming.  Just simple.

So we kinda put our heads together and created these little Name Place Ribbons…..you know, like place cards.  But ribbons.

IMG_5709-002

A simple strip of ribbon, tied together with a little jute ribbon.  Nothing easier than that, really.

IMG_5762

And okay, after we both pitched in a few ideas and made the first ribbon, Robin jumped all over the rest and made the other 11 that we would need.  Bless her little ever-loving heart! :)

IMG_5689

**Yeah, every place setting needs a napkin.  I’m jumping on that next. :)

The ribbon hugs the dinner plates, and easily slips off once it’s time to serve dinner.

IMG_5784-1

Ahhhh, name assignments.  Now there’s no confusion of who sits where.

IMG_5742-2

And the punch of color?  Perfect for our Thanksgiving table setting.

IMG_5741-2

Thanks Robin!  Onto the next little touch of Holiday love, right? ;)

Want to make your own Name Place Ribbons?

Okay, in case you need a little more info, let me show you how simple this is.

First, grab some 2 inch wide grosgrain ribbon in any ol’ color you want.  Wrap it around your plates and overlap about 4 inches.

IMG_5622

Heat seal the edges with a lighter.  (Ribbon frays and will quickly look messy unless you seal the ends.  A lighter or candle flame will gently melt the edges and will keep the edges from fraying.)

IMG_5625

Pinch the two ribbon ends, in the center of the where they overlap.  Wrap some jute string around the ribbon, keeping it tightly cinched in.

IMG_5630

Then, create your name stencils from freezer paper.  (Want to know more about Freezer Paper?)

I cut mine out with my Silhouette (just like I did here) but I have also traced letters onto the paper and cut out with a utility knife (like here).  Both work.

IMG_5616

Adjust your ribbon so that the tied jute is off to one side……and then place your stencil where you’d like your name to be.

IMG_5637

To keep your stencil right where you need it, place a piece of tape onto the ribbon, right next to where the edge of your freezer paper sits.  That way, in case you paper moves a bit while transporting it to the iron, you don’t lose your spot.  Then, iron your freezer paper right onto your ribbon.

IMG_5644

Next, sponge your acrylic paint right onto the ribbon exposed through the stencil.  (Keep in mind that grosgrain ribbon has ridges.  So, there’s no way for the freezer paper to make a tight seal between each ridge.  So if you glob the paint on, it will seep under and look messy.  However, if you lightly sponge the paint onto the ribbon, you won’t have any bleeding and each letter will still keep its shape.)

IMG_5646

Let the paint dry completely and then peel back the freezer paper.

IMG_5652

Now, your ribbon is ready to slide over your plate setting.

IMG_5655

Done.

IMG_5742-2

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Featured, Holiday, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

16 Responses to “Thanksgiving (or any meal) Name Place Ribbons”
    Jayme says:

Where did you get your table runner? I’ve been looking for something just like that!

Dawn says:

Beautiful! And, this is something I can DO! :) Thank you for the tutorial.

Priscilla from CA says:

Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

Stacey says:

What a beautiful and simple idea! I am dying to get a Silhouette and you are killing me with these great projects! I’m banking on a nice Black Friday deal!!

Alisa says:

So cute and how prepared (as always) for the upcoming holidays!

Nancy G. says:

what a great idea, love the “no confusion”. Also you can arrange where people sit, just in case you have someone you don’t want to get struck sitting next to, LOL

Lynette says:

That is brilliant! If you can’t find the right type of baby/wedding/birthday ribbon for gifts…totally make your own…super cool! For wedding, you could make the last name of the new couple. I totally would probably never do this because I’m not that organized ahead of time, but what a cool idea! I love the look of those place ribbons. The orange is so festively Thanksgiving@

Blossom says:

I love these! I just came across your blog recently, and love your projects! You are making me want a Silhouette really, really badly now!

Just a suggestion – a less messy (and better looking, in my opinion) alternative to regular acrylic paint, for stenciling, is stencil cream paint. You can get it at any craft store. It comes in little pots,and is nicely thick and creamy, so it doesn’t drip or run underneath stencils – makes much cleaner lines!

gigi la chti says:

je ne parle pas ni ne comprends l’anglais mais les images suffisent pour voir que c’est facile à faire et que c’est très élégant
    bisous de France….

Ellen says:

What font did you use?

Also, have you used acrylic paint on felt before? Think that would work?

Amanda says:

Where is your table from?

British American says:

Cute! And it makes me want a Silhouette, since I’ve done freezer paper stenciling with a craft knife before and it is fiddly! I don’t think I’d have the patience for doing 9 names! :P

Beverly Rutherford says:

Great idea. I own a sewing/embroidery machine so I would embroider the names on to the ribbon. Otherwise, I will copy your instructions exactly. Thanks so much!

That is so neat! Thank you for sharing!

My father recently gave me my deceased grandmother’s china. My kids are little, but I really wanted to use it for Thanksgiving because I’m so honored to have it. I think this would be the perfect touch! I even have some ribbon already.

My husband used to work in the ER. He always worked Thanksgiving, so we had ours on the Wednesday before. In some ways it was kind of nice. We always had lots of company come for our Thanksgiving because they were usually available the day before. It was always strange and a little lonely to have him gone while all of the families around us were celebrating together. Your mentioning your husband working reminded me! I hope he gets off right on time and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!