First of all, you guys were so kind about that Dream Tree Challenge (#JustAddMichaels) tree that I shared on Tuesday.  It really was so fun to make and that was satisfaction enough…….but those rockin’ sweet comments put me over the edge!  Don’t worry…..I’m back to normal again. Ha. ;)

Anyway, several of you asked for more details on the parts of my little tree……

IMG_4311-1

…….so that’s what you’re going to get! :)

Plus, a mini tutorial on the Pinecone Ornaments that I put together in like 30 seconds flat! Okay, maybe 3 minutes each…  (In fact, they were so quick that they’d be the perfect friend-craft-night project.  Nice and simple means a little bit o’ crafting………and a lotta bit o’ chatting and laughing.  Anyone wanna come over?? :) )

IMG_5064

So, first, here’s a breakdown of everything that was added to the tree:

IMG_4311-2

And the name (and where to find) each of the items yourself…

Like mentioned in the Dream Tree post, all items were purchased Michael’s.

The star was actually an over sized ornament.  I just cut the top loop off with wire cutters and then used gold wire and wrapped it tightly around the bottom of the ornament, right to the top of the tree.  Done.

IMG_4977

The little golden sprigs coming out of the tree is actually faux Onion Grass, smothered in glitter.  I just cut it apart into sections and shoved them into the tree branches.  They’re light enough and will probably stay right in place.  (However, if you’re worried, you could always attach with a little wire.)

IMG_4966

I bought completely clear glass ornaments in 3 different sizes.  I placed the smallest at the top and then gradually got bigger as I placed towards the bottom of the tree.  You could fill your ornaments with something or leave them empty like I did.

IMG_4950

The burlap with the snowflakes actually came already cut and stamped.  When I went back to take pictures last night, they were out of the snowflake….but this is what it looked like.

IMG_4974

The twiggy garland with golden berries was all sold out but here’s the same thing with silver berries.

IMG_4972

And those sweet little reindeer…….came just as they are! :)

IMG_4976

The white berry sprigs came in a larger cluster.  I just cut them apart and added little pieces to the tree.  (Again, I just shoved mine in…..but you could definitely wire them in place, if you’re worried about shifting.)

IMG_4965

And number 8……..all the tree skirt is, is white satin fabric, draped around the base of the tree.  I just placed it there because when I was taking pictures, it needed something to cover the base but I didn’t have a skirt that would necessarily match this new tree.  So, I just draped around some satin fabric I had on hand.  I figured I would have to make something to go under there, assuming my kiddos would pull on it and mess it up.  However, they haven’t even touched it.  So, I may go the lazy route and just leave it. :)

Oh, and as for the items that some of you have asked about……..the NOEL sign is from Target last year.  The mini trees are from, hmmmmm, maybe Joann’s?  Target?  I can’t remember.  I bought them either last year or the year before, the day after Christmas.  (Anyone have the same ones??)  And the Stockings are from my old Burlap Stocking Tutorial a few years ago.  Oh, and the stocking hangers are from Amazon.  Is that everything?

Oh yeah, the pinecones…I love the simple beauty of these little guys.

IMG_5080

Here’s how I made mine:

I purchased some jute…

IMG_4989

…and cut a piece long enough to attach to my pine cone, yet still fit around a tree branch.  I glued the two ends to the top of the pine cone.

IMG_4992

( **The pine cones I purchased are slightly cinnamon scented.  Yum.  If you gather from outside, just keep in mind they probably have little critters hiding inside.**)

Just be sure that it hangs nicely once it’s attached.

IMG_4999

Then tie a bow out of some ribbon (mine is beige satin ribbon, 1.5 inches wide).

IMG_5007

Then, I found that attaching the bow to the jute actually allows the bow to hang a little nicer.  I started by attaching the bow to the top of the pine cone but that was making the ribbon ends looks wonky and not hang nicely.  So, skip my mistake and add it to the jute with some hot glue, just above the top of the pine cone.

IMG_5018

Then, cut the ends of the ribbon at a diagonal, whatever length you like. My ribbon lengths varied, depending on the pine cone size, but the ribbon ends were generally as long as the pine cone.

IMG_5026

Then heat seal the ends of your ribbon with a lighter.  (Once you cut ribbon, it will fray and gradually look terrible. To keep this from happening, hold the edge of the ribbon next to a flame and this will slightly melt the edges, keeping them from fraying.)

IMG_5032

Now, make several more……hang…….and enjoy! :)

IMG_5064

Any more questions?  Did I seriously forget something?  Let me know….

-Ashley

Filed under Featured, Holiday, No Sew

Comments

32 Responses to “Pine Cone Bow Ornament…..and other Dream Tree Challenge details (for those who asked!)”
    Jackie says:

Love them! I think I’ll have to make a few of these for our tree this year! :)

Mindy says:

Real pinecones? I was thinking about that this morning…I get the heebiejeebies thinking about collecting things from outside to use indoors. bugs and such!

Michelle says:

I bought a large bag of pinecones at Michaels all in different sizes..they are cinnamon scented, saves you from collecting them. :)

Hey Mindy, yep, I bought them at Michael’s and they’re slightly scented in Cinnamon, just like Michelle. Pine Cones from the store are treated for bugs because yeah, all I need is some sort of infestation in my house! :)

Kathy says:

I have lots of pinecones in my backyard and use them in decorating for the winter holidays. You can open and kill any little bugs by putting pinecones in the oven (200 degrees) and can then scent them by tying up in a plastic bag with a little bit of cinnamin scented oil scattered over them. I have lots and lots of pine trees in my back yard, so have a lot to choose from. My little grands love to gather them for me. I always put old gloves on them so they won’t get the sticky sap on their fingers.

jj says:

Seriously? They are pine cone for goodness sake.

Lorena says:

Thank you for all the details. I love the idea of taking apart sprigs to decorate. The pine cone tutorial is darling and like you said, perfect for a little get together. course I might have to add some glitter :-)

Linda says:

Love the tree & the deer! I think I will make some of the pine cones. I also like the idea of adding glitter. Would be ok to use the scented pine cones to add a nice smell!

Oh yes, mine are actually the cinnamon scented pine cones from Michael’s. They are perfect! :) And the glitter already came on everything……I didn’t have to add any. But you could definitely add it to things that don’t come with it! :)

Debbie says:

What do you mean by heat seal with a lighter?

Sorry, I should explain that a little better. Once you cut ribbon, it will fray and gradually look terrible. To keep this from happening, hold the edge of the ribbon next to a flame (a lighter, candle, etc) and this will slightly melt the edges, keeping them from fraying.

Hope that helps!

• 5.1.1
        Emily says:

If you’re going to heat-seal ribbons often, you can also get a wood burning tool and just the ribbon with that — it’ll cut and seal at the same time :)

Angela says:

Love this! Only thing I wish is that you would have posted how much you got of everything. I know most people have different size trees, but a ballpark would be helpful for me. I’m just that dense I guess. lol In any case, I really love it and think I want to replicate it with our tree this year. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Jen says:

You know what would be pretty? A wreath to match!

Inked Leslie says:

it’s wonderful, love it !!!

I love those pine cone ornaments. They’re beautiful!

Ivonne says:

Love the tree, when you posted it the first time I knew that is what I wanted mine to look like. I have clear plastic ornaments I purchased last year. I would like to know a ball park of how many rolls of the burlap you used? My guess would be three but dont want to end up short. Thanks

Oh shoot! I can’t find my receipt, but I think I got 3 or 4 rolls. The tree here is 7ft tall and it isn’t extremely fat at the bottom (probably 3ft in diameter).

april says:

Hi! I came across your website on pinterest and i absolutely love your tree! Would you mind sharing the color of paint you used on your walls? It’s a beautiful color.

Kattrinka says:

Love the pinecone ornament! In what way did you make the bow? Two loops tied or the regular old way, one loop, then around with the loose end?

Rocio Estrada says:

Hi Ashley, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your tree! Thank you for sharing all the lovely details. Did you purchase the ribbon at Michaels?

Carmen says:

Hi!
    Sounds silly, but how did you tie the bow so nicely? Two rabbit-ear style or a typical tie-your-shoe style? Do you wrap it around a stick and then pull the stick out?

I am making these for family place-setting gifts, but my bows are wonky!

Thanks! (and you are awesome!)

I did the two rabbit-ear style. Sometimes when doing a bow you do an initial knot (for presents, shoes, etc). This instance I did not do that. I just made the bow with the two rabbit-ear style and had to adjust it to straighten out the bow loops and the tails a tad to make sure they were even. Hope this helps you out. Have Fun making these!