No Sew: Lamp Shade with Cover Buttons

I gotta tell ya……..there’s something about a simple project that really makes me happy.  And yes, my sweet friends, even when a sewing machine is not included.  We are finally getting to the point in our home renovations that I can start hanging things and enjoying our surroundings without those ugly extension cords, drop cloths, power tools, and construction dust.  (Oh, that dust.  He and I have had words……and let’s just say, our relationship is almost over.  See-ya!)

Now that we are nearing the completion of several rooms (meaning…..new paint, new doors, window/door trim, baseboards, caulking, sanding, and touch-up paint), I’ve gotten hungry to fill our spaces with a little more love.

And something quick, that I put together last night, to accompany this lamp base……was this Lamp Shade.

IMG_4841

And, well, the simplicity of it makes me REALLY happy.

IMG_4919

And, oh gosh, those little covered buttons really make this simple shade pop.  Yum.  (Who says “yum” about inedible items?  That’s just weird!)

IMG_4847

I was tired of that empty table…..and we really needed extra light in this room.  So, 2 wins.

no sew lamp shade

IMG_4857

Now, don’t you worry…….not a single stitch of thread was sewn into this shade.  So you don’t even need to plug that ol’ sewing machine in.

And even if someone stands above the shade and peeks in, they’ll only see clean lines and edges.

IMG_4861

And for those of you who know I have three little ones, you’re probably wondering about that breakable ceramic bird sitting on those books.  Haha!  Yeah, that bird doesn’t stand a chance (have I told you about my mischievous 2 year old yet??) and actually normally sits up on a higher shelf.  I just just haven’t decided what to add to that table……so the bird and books are helping me out for the moment.  I’ll keep you posted if I come up with something fun.

IMG_4901

Oh, sweet lamp.  Thanks for sitting there so pretty.  And with minimal effort.  Yay!!!!!!

IMG_4943

Would you like to make your own Lamp Shade with Cover Buttons?

To begin with, decide on what fabric you’d like to use.  (The amount of fabric varies, depending on your shade size.)   Something with a print can be fun, but keep in mind that if your shade shape flares out, fabric like stripes won’t stay uniform and straight all the way around the shade.  Also, a smooth and flat shade is a lot easier to work with than an ornate curved one.

And, I covered this lamp shade over a year ago (in our last house) and decided to change it up.  My lamp shade is slightly larger at the bottom, than the top……so the stripes never lined up correctly and always kind of bothered me.  So, I peeled this fabric off and re-used the same shade.  So ignore the old glue……I’m just going to cover it right up.

IMG_4701

Then, wrap your fabric around your lamp shade overlapping the ends by several inches.

IMG_4713.CR2

Also, be sure that you have at least an inch (or more) hanging off the top and bottom edges.

IMG_4734

Now, hot glue one end of your fabric down, right to the shade.

IMG_4723

IMG_4728

Smooth the fabric nice and flat and taut, all the way around the shade.  Trim off the excess overlapping fabric from this second edge……letting them overlap by about 3 inches.

IMG_4737

Then, fold this second edge under about 1.5 inches and clip in place.  Just be sure that the vertical fold is straight and exactly perpendicular to the bottom/top edges of the shade.

IMG_4748

Place a line of hot glue under the fold of the fabric, securing it in place.

IMG_4751

Then, lay your shade on its side and add some glue to the inner bottom edge of the shade.

IMG_4757

Fold the fabric up, making sure to keep it smooth and even…….and press firmly in place with your fingers.

IMG_4762

Trim off the excess fabric.

IMG_4763

Then, hot glue some 1/2 inch grosgrain ribbon over the raw edge of the fabric.

IMG_4769

Glue all the way around the inside of the lamp, continuing to cover the raw edge of fabric.  Once you reach the end, overlap the end by about 2 inches.

IMG_4772

Then, fold your end under an inch and hot glue it down in place  (If you notice, I made the fold of the ribbon match up with the fold of the fabric along that one side.  It’s up to you but I just like the consistency.)

IMG_4773

Along the top (if you have those metal pieces attached to the upper edge), cut a slit into the fabric, straight towards the metal piece.  Be sure and stop about an 1/8 of an inch before the edge of the lamp shade (so that you can’t see the slit after it’s folded over).

IMG_4776

Then, add glue the same way as above and fold your fabric up and around the metal piece.

IMG_4785

Trim off any excess fabric and then add ribbon the same way as well.

Now, cover some Cover Buttons with the same fabric.  (Check out my Cover Button tutorial if you need a few more pictures.  Also, my cover buttons are 7/8″ in size, but yours may vary, depending on the lamp shade size that you’re covering.)

IMG_4789

IMG_4792

Then, hot glue your first Cover Button down to the bottom edge of your shade, about a 1/4 inch from the bottom edge.

IMG_4801

Then, use a ruler and measure the distance that you’d like between each button.  (Measuring all the way around and dividing will help you decide the distance between each button.)  Make a mark to show you where to place your next button and glue it down in place.

IMG_4803

Continue all the way around the lamp shade.

IMG_4805

And that’s it.

IMG_4943

Now, go and enjoy your shade! :)

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Featured, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

31 Responses to “No Sew: Lamp Shade with Cover Buttons”
    Amanda says:

So cute! I love the addition of the buttons! Also, I love those chairs! Where did you get them?!

Esperanza says:

Es realmente hermosa, tu lo haces tan fácil, me gusta!!!!!

sarah says:

That is really adorable! And I love the deep gray fabric choice- great texture!! Great job!!

Darlene says:

Absolutely gorgeous. And such fantastic attention to detail on the inside and outside. – makes it look professionally redone. I pinned it. Have a wonderful week.

Annie says:

Ahhh! Your house is so freakin adorable I can barely stand it. I so need to do some of your projects around my house.

Mindy says:

Nice touch with the buttons. And even though you’re not sewing and just using hot glue, you make a clean hem for the fold overs, haha nice! Definitely needs to be simple with the busy chairs, looks great!

Shantel says:

Would you decorate my house?!! please pretty please! You have such excellent taste!

Michelle L says:

Oh, man, Ashley, that is absolutely beautiful and chic!!!

SuziQ says:

Hi Ashley (from Suzi in Glasgow, Scotland) this is a great way to refresh a room – thank you! Can I just check there are no problems with using any type of fabric & glue? Just thinking the light may get hot! X

Lynette says:

I love how this turned out! My son has a lamp in his room…with a purple lampshade I have meant to cover for nearly 2 years! Thanks for the great tutorial. I never have found one that actually explains everything. I love the simplicity of the cover buttons as well. And you totally read my mind about the bird! I thought, “Wow she’s brave! My son would totally have that smashed in 2 seconds!” (He shattered a corelle plate last night in the kitchen while helping with dishes, it was great!) I was laughing when you explained the bird was there for the photo shoot only. :)

Kari says:

So cute!! I have almost the identical lamp sitting in my living room right now. I think it might need a facelift!!

Sue says:

This is GREAT! This truly Pinterest worthy! Im going to copy asap! Thank You!

Leigh Anne says:

Very cute idea! The buttons really make it! I was curious about the paint color? It looks like a very light blue/green on my screen. I am redecorating my master bedroom and am looking at a color scheme like this, thx for your inspiration!

Leann says:

Hi – I am among the people who want (need) you to come and decorate my house. I have a 3.5 yo and can have nothing on my tables either…and am waiting to get new lamps and sofa and chairs when things get a little less messy with little ones. I actually do need a new shade for a lamp (they can be expensive!) so I may try this…good timing :)

Julie says:

Adorable and so simple!! Win win. :)

cucicucicoo says:

What a cute idea to add the cover buttons. It really does add that extra touch that makes it special! :) Lisa

Erin says:

I love this and definitely need to do this project. My house is bare bare bare everywhere. I am paralyzed by the thought of committing to decor and need to just start with something.

Wow. I love the look of that lamp shade! Looks great in your space. You always have such great ideas. That ribbon to cover the edge of the fabric is genius!

Vero Et says:

awesomesauce!!!

Nancy G. says:

That lampshade is so beautiful! I love the lamp also, very graceful looking. I was just wondering, does the light shine through pretty good being that the fabric is such a dark shade of grey? I have only tried covering one lampshade, on my step daughters old Strawberry shortcake lamp. It turned out fairly well, but my fabrics were lighter. I love the look though, so much more eye pleasing than just a plain old boring lampshade. Thanks for sharing, I also love the buttons. Have to try that!

Heather says:

This is so inspiring! I think I will finally tackle the little 13-year old lamp in my bedroom. A nice cover for the shade, then a coat of spray paint on the base. Thank you!

Sandra says:

Thank you for that great tutorail!

Chatty says:

I AM DEFINITELY TRYING THIS ONE..HOW ELEGANT AND DECORATIVE..THE GRAY WAS A GOOD CHOICE”.TY