I know, that’s a super long title for today’s post.  But today’s post needed a HUGE introduction.

So SIT DOWN for a minute……because we need to talk Gluten Free for a bit.

Many of you know I eat gluten free.  (However, if I could take a pill and eat gluten every now and then, like those who are lactose intolerant…….I would in a hot minute!!)  And I’ve talked about it and explained more about it throughout many of my recipe posts.

Anyway, I know many of you have celiac disease, are gluten intolerant, have a wheat allergy, or are simply eating gluten free because you feel better…..or want to try it to see if you feel better. So, I hope this is useful for you.  Because eating gluten free, is not for the faint of heart.  Especially if your heart just wants a fresh donut, a bowl of homemade pasta, a hot delivered pizza, or oh gee…..I could go on.  Ack!!  Anyway, those of you who eat (or have tasted) gluten free baked items, know that the pickin’s are pretty slim.

Well, sit down.  Because you are about to enter GLUTEN FREE HEAVEN!!!

My sister Robin (who has a food science degree and has some sort of super power in the kitchen {{cue singing angels}}…ha!), created these incredibly moist and delicious and no-one-will-ever-know-they’re-gluten-free Pumpkin Muffins.

IMG_4709-2

And, let me tell you……these are THE best gluten free muffins I have ever tasted.  And, I have tasted MANY gluten free muffins (and baked goods of every kind) in my 9+ years of eating gluten free.

IMG_4591

Once you bite in, you’ll see.  The triple moist texture, the delicious taste of pumpkin, the caramel and crumble on top.  Yummmmmm.

IMG_4771

The bits of crumble on top have a noticeable hint of salt, which pairs perfectly with the chewy caramel drizzle.  Salted caramel is never a bad thing! :)

IMG_4614

And I know, I know, I’m spreading on the dramatics a little thick and may seem a little overly excited about little ol’ muffins……but really, eating gluten makes you desperate for your favorite comfort food.  And these muffins totally satisfy. :)

gluten free caramel pumkin muffins

If you’re completely gluten intolerant, are just trying to feel better by eating gluten free, or have a friend who eats gluten free…..MAKE THESE!

IMG_4808

And you will be ever so glad that my sweet sister Robin came up with something SO DELICIOUS.

IMG_4579

Grab your ingredients…..it’s time to bake!!

Okay, first of all…….there are lots of ingredients.  But that’s what makes these so magical.  There’s a lot of interaction going on with those different ingredients.  So don’t skip any.  Or substitute.  (Except, you can substitute brown rice flour out for white rice flour.  That’s the one exception. :) )

Place 3 eggs and 1 1/3 cup of sugar into a mixing bowl.

IMG_4355

And whip together on high speed (or use a hand mixer) for several minutes.  (Don’t worry, you can’t over beat this.)

IMG_4377

Continue beating until light and fluffy.

IMG_4391

Then, gather your other wet ingredients: 1 1/3 C Mayonnaise, 2 TBS crushed pineapple, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 ¾ cup pumpkin (25 oz)

IMG_4363

…and dump those in with the eggs and sugar.  Blend thoroughly.  (Don’t worry, you can’t over mix gluten free muffin batter.)

IMG_4405

Then, gather your dry ingredients: 1 1/8 C Rice flour, ½ C Soy Flour, ½ C Potato Starch (not potato flour), 1 tsp xanthan gum, 2 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, 1TBS + 1 tsp Cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cloves, and 1 tsp nutmeg.

IMG_4347

…and dump those in the bowl as well.  Combine well.  (Again, you can’t over mix this batter.  So, no worries!)

IMG_4415

Then, use a rounded ice cream scoop and fill with batter.

IMG_4423

Then carefully plop the batter right into muffin papers.  (You can scoop with a spoon or a measuring cup, etc….but the rounded scoop creates a beautifully rounded muffin after baking.)

IMG_4424

Then…..combine ½ C almond Flour, ¼ tsp salt, 2 TBS brown sugar, 1 tsp butter (softened), and 1 tsp cinnamon.  Mix with a fork until completely combined.

IMG_4438

Then sprinkle on your raw batter.

IMG_4465

Bake in a preheated 325 degree (F) oven, for 40-45 minutes.  (Convection at 300 (F) for 35-40 minutes.)  Do not over bake, or the muffins will turn out dry.  (They were created to be an incredibly moist muffin.) Touch the top of the muffin with your finger and if it mostly springs back, it’s done.  The toothpick trick may not come out clean with these muffins.  (In fact, until you get used to these muffins and this recipe, try breaking one open if you’re unsure about it springing back or not.  If it’s still raw batter, continue baking the muffins.  If it’s just nice and moist, it’s done.)

IMG_4471

Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, begin melting the 1 cup of caramel bits and 2 Tbsp of heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until smooth.  (The square caramels that you unwrap work fine too……but this is what they sell now for melting caramels.  Pretty cool.)

IMG_4481

Remove muffins from pan and place on a wire rack over (with wax paper beneath it) and drizzle with the melted caramel.

IMG_4498

And that’s it.

Eat warm.  Or let them cool.  Both are delicious.

In fact, these are still delicious 2 days later.  (But if you have plenty left over after 2-3 days, package them in plastic and place in the freezer and enjoy later on.)

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

IMG_4591

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Breakfast and Brunch, Desserts, Featured, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

32 Responses to “The most AMAZING Gluten Free {Caramel Crumble Pumpkin Muffins} you’ll ever taste!!!!”
    Nicole says:

They look delicious! I don’t suppose you know how to make it if one is NOT gluten free, do you? Those ingredients are pretty out there. :)

Melissa says:

Great recipe to try! I will have to use an alternative crumb and caramel recipe though, but these look worth the try. I’m lactose intolerant and don’t have the luxury of taking a pill – although if there was one that worked for me I would probably use it.

Debbie C says:

This sounds delicious! Where do you buy the special flours, xanthan gum, etc?

kate says:

WHOA NELLIE, these are *not* low or even normal level sodium, just as an FYI. Between the salt, the baking soda and the 1 1/2 CUP of Mayonaise, oh boy. It surpasses one’s daily recommended intake. Wish I could, but can’t.

Jenna says:

Stop whining. Just keep the snotty arrogance to yourself.

Brandon says:

Nobody cares.

Tina says:

I agree with Kate. To me, they are high in sodium. But I made them anyway and they are the most amazing gf muffin I have ever eaten. I felt like I was a kid again. Truly a gift of a recipe. My body doesn’t mind extra sodium and I’d rather eat a little too much salt now and again than a little too much sugar. Totally worth it if you’re not avoiding sodium for medical reasons!

Ashley W. says:

I don’t think they have an outrageous level of sodium. I found a website that you can plug your ingredients into and it will analyze the nutritional info and it said it was only 12% for one muffin. That doesn’t seem too bad to me.

Bradford says:

I agree with Ashley W. Unless you’re eating the entire batch of muffins you will not surpass the daily recommended sodium intake which is around 2000 mg. Don’t knock it before you try it. I made them and they are delicious! And the ingredients aren’t out there either Nicole. I found all of them at Walmart and King Soopers(Kroger). My assumption is that since Ashley has celiac disease and can’t have foods that are *not* gluten free she won’t be posting another recipe and therefore it would be up to you to find an alternative.

M says:

these look wonderful. i am trying to eat gluten free from sensitivity. please keep the recipes coming. any
    substitues for soy flour?

robin says:

This may be a shot in the dark, but I’m thinking tapioca starch might work only use half the amount that was used for soy flour. So replace the soy with 1/4 cup tapioca starch in this recipe. Let me now how that worked out

Cheryl says:

Sorghum flour

Tina says:

Soy flour holds moisture and gives an earthy taste. I bet garbanzo bean flour would be a close substitute.

Meg says:

Really want to give these a try, but I don’t eat soy. Is there a possible substitute for soy flour?

Sheryl says:

Thank you! I have some friends who visit that need a gluten free diet. It is hard to find a dessert for them!! Will be great for this time of year!!

TammyO says:

I’m so happy that you have a recipe you can love! What a great sister for developing this!

Jodi says:

These look WONDERFUL!! Can’t wait to try it. I’m going shopping today to get ingredients.
    Thank you for sharing such great GF recipes!

Lori says:

I cannot wait for Robin to make them for us when she is here. By the way I am going to make that yummo homemade gluten free bread for you all. :)

Hannah Bozoa says:

How did you make your blog a website?

sarah says:

This looks delicious! I am gluten free and can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

victoria says:

Made these yesterday, so delicious and moist. All the other gluten free muffins I’ve made are so crumbly, these were perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Cassie Singley Gadd says:

Why are we not still roommates, Robin?

Gia says:

These look amazing! I’m severely allergic to pineapple though. Is there a suitable substitute for the pineapple?

Lindsay says:

Hi I’m new to your site. Found it by searching for a diy costume. I love all your costume posts and I just happened to see this gluten-free post. My daughter has celiac disease and we’ve been gluten-free for two years now. I’m excited to try these muffins, though my daughter can’t have rice or soy flour either. I think I’ll try sorghum, almond, and coconut and see how it goes! Thanks for the recipe! My question is what caramel do you use? I haven’t yet researched out a clean source as far as cross-contamination in the manufacturing and packaging process. Oh and by-the-way, are you LDS being from Rexburg? If so, cool, me too. We also lived in the South (South Carolina) for about 5 years and loved it.

Dawn says:

Anyone tried these as mini-muffins? I’m assuming just reducing the baking time would be sufficient…just thought I’d see if someone had already tried.

Look yummy! Planning to bring these to my women’s group I am part of!

Christina says:

These look amazing! Do you think they would freeze well?

Emily says:

These were delicious! I brought them to my monthly Craft Night — one of our ladies is eating Gluten Free so I was excited to try them! Even my picky-if-he-thinks-it’s-healthy boyfriend loved them! I’m making them again this week for a Halloween Potluck Breakfast at my office :) Thanks for the recipe, Ashley! And for the mention that you can’t over-beat, because I did appreciate that note! I didn’t have to stress at all!