Halloween Costume Ideas: Very Low-Sew POODLE SKIRT

Time for another costume……but this one is for the girls!!

(In case you’ve missed the other simple Halloween costume ideas, there are several waiting for you!  These are simple ideas that don’t take a lot of time/skill to make.)

When I was a little girl, I always wanted to wear twirly skirts for Halloween.  They didn’t always incorporate well…..but I always wanted something full and twirly.  (My older sister had an old Flag Twirler skirt that I would try and wear as often as I could.  I loved that ratty old thing!)

So, when I read that a few of you wanted to see how to make a poodle skirt…….I kinda smiled, remembering by own obsession with twirly skirts as a girl.

So today…….I HAPPILY created a little Poodle Skirt for those who requested it.

IMG_6981

This full and twirly skirt could truly work for just about anything.

50′s girl…..CHECK!  Cheerleader…..CHECK!  Princess……CHECK!  Southern Belle…..CHECK!  Little Bo Peep…..CHECK!

IMG_7040

Just add a few different accessories…..and you have a nice and simple costume! :)

IMG_7023

Because the skirt is made from felt…….it holds its shape so well.  Ooooooh, a circle skirt never disappoints in the “fullness” category.

AND, no hemming is needed.  In fact, the only thing sewn is the elastic waistband.  The poodle and leash are hot glued on.  And that’s because this is a costume…..and you can take short cuts like that! :)

IMG_7067

And in case you’re wondering, yes, hip swiveling is totally allowed in a Poodle Skirt.  And is encouraged.

low sew poodle skirt

As well as twirling.

No surprise here…….but the twirl of this skirt is what Elli loves the most.

IMG_7096

Would you like to make your own Poodle Skirt??

Okay, let’s hop to it…

Supplies:

• Felt in any color (My felt came on a bolt that was 72 inches wide.  I bought 2 yards of it, and it was plenty for my 6 year old.)
  • Extra felt for the poodle
  • Ribbon or String for the leash
  • Jewels for the collar (optional)
  • 2 inch wide elastic
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Poodle Template (FOUND HERE)

First of all, follow the instructions of this Circle Skirt Dress, to cut out the main portion of the skirt from your felt.  (I made the center circle bigger than my daughter’s actual waist side, because I wanted the skirt to gather in even more than just the natural drape of the circle.)

IMG_6954

Then, follow the Square Circle Skirt tutorial for measuring the elastic, sewing the ends together, and then pinning it to your skirt base.

IMG_6958

Zig-zag your elastic to your felt skirt, overlapping by a 1/2 inch.  (Follow the instructions for the Square Circle Skirt tutorial as well.)

IMG_6963

Then, cut out your poodle paper template and use it as a guide to cut out your poodle.

IMG_6965

Then Hot glue your felt poodle right to your skirt.

IMG_6966

Then, add embellishments to the poodle, as a little collar.  And then add ribbon or string as the leash.

IMG_6971

And that’s it.  Your little Poodle Skirt is ready to wear!

IMG_7040

Enjoy!

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday

Comments

19 Responses to “Halloween Costume Ideas: Very Low-Sew POODLE SKIRT”
    tricia says:

how many yards would you think you would need for a 5 foot adult?

tricia says:

how many yards would you think you would need for a 5 ft 1 adult?

I bought 2 yards of 72 inch wide felt. It was plenty for my 6 year old and would probably be just enough for you. (But it also depends on how big your waist is…..because the center circle will push out the outer circle.)

Hope that helps!

• 2.1.1
        tricia says:

ok thanks! I am petite so that should work!

• 2.1.1.1
          Emily says:

Thanks!! I was about to ask the same question!! haha — I was just looking 2 days ago for a tutorial on Poodle Skirts and was shocked (being over-dramatic) that you hadn’t posted on it yet… then here it is :)

Janine says:

Adorable!! I am making some of these so my daughter will have them for dress up! Thanks for the awesome tutorials!

Tracy King says:

Great pictures!!! She looks very happy with her new poodle skirt.

Sarah says:

Thanks Ashley! That’s exactly what I was hoping for.

Jenya says:

This is different and super cute :) Love it :)

Ashle says:

Hooray!!! My three littles have a ’50s sock hop they are going to this weekend. I cannot WAIT to make them their skirts. =)

Anna says:

Next week is homecoming at my daughter’s school. Each day they can dress up. I’m thinking of making this in her school colors and replacing the poodle with their mascot!!

Jen says:

Oh that would be soooooooo cute! We use to do a 50s style cheer in HS when I cheered, a Ram Skirt would have been cool!

Peter says:

This cute poodle skirt is a great 50′s costume idea – nice job! I wanted to let you and all your readers know about the Creative Costume Contest at http://www.halloweenhero.com/costume-contest-2013.html

You are free to enter as many times as you wish, as long as each entry is for a different costume.

Thanks again for sharing this adorable poodle skirt tutorial.

Best,
    Peter

FIRANNA says:

Wow! Beautiful skirt :-)))
    Greetings from Polish !

Courtney says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial!!! My 5-year old has 50s Day coming up in a few weeks at school and they get to dress up for that. I can’t wait to make this for her. She will love it!

Nina says:

Thank you for the tutorial , I needed to make a poodle skirt for my daughters play where they had to dress up in the 50 s. Made it very easily , turned out great even though it was the first time I made a skirt. My kiddo loved it ,

Jennifer says:

Hello! Love this idea, I am making one for my daughter’s Sock Hop dance. How much bigger that your daughter’s actual waist size did you make the center circle in order to gather in even more than just the natural drape? I see in your square circle dress you made it 1 1/2 times the size. Thanks in advance.