October is Costume Month….any requests??

I have been waiting for months for October to come.  MONTHS!!!  I usually wait until October to start making costumes for Halloween because I just can’t bring myself to start before then.  Kinda like decorating for Christmas…..I have to wait until Thanksgiving is over.  I just have to.  Halloween costumes are the same way.  I just have to wait until October begins.  And guess whaaaaaaat?!!  October starts next week!!  I know, I’m still a big ol’ kid.  But I LOVE the magic of Halloween!

Here are a few costumes from years past.

The Little Red Riding Hood crew from 2012.

1 red riding hood

The Mary Poppins group from 2011.

2 mary poppins costumes

Cinderella and Prince Charming from 2010.

3prince charming

4 cinderella

And Peter Pan and Tinker Bell from 2009.

6 peter pan  5 tinker bell

(Is picking a favorite costume the same as picking a favorite child?  Totally different, right??  Well, then, I’ll go ahead and tell you my favorite……the MARY POPPINS year!!  Ahhhhhh!  I absolutely LOVED figuring out, making, and then dressing my kiddos in those costumes!!!)

. . . . .

Anyway, I wanted to do something a little different and FUN this year.  Every year, I just make things for my own kids.  And the costumes are only helpful if they are what you’re dressing up your kids/grandkids/neighbors (or yourself) that particular year.  I guess they can always be saved for future years too…..but still, it’s hard to use for the current year.

SOOOOOOO……how about we turn October into COSTUME MONTH??!  And I’ll make several really simple costume ideas, all throughout the month.  (I’ll do a few other posts too…..but mostly costumes/dress-up’s).  The costumes will have to be pretty simple ideas or an idea that I can simplify, because, well, I only have so many hours in my day.  Ha!!  But, if there’s a particular costume that a whole bunch of you would like to make and it’s definitely more time consuming……….I’ll show you some tips, offer some ideas, and talk about supplies and such to tackle the project on your own.  You know….to help give you a good starting point. I’m completely excited just typing this out!  Because we’re going to have costumes coming out our ears over here.  And I’m thrilled!

Halloween-Costumes-2012-1024x787

halloween-costumes-from-aldi

image source

Oh, and yeah, I’m going to still make my kids’ costumes too…..but I’m not sharing that yet.  (Mostly because we haven’t narrowed it down.  And maybe the list will change after I read some of your ideas.  HA!)

Okay, so here’s the deal.  Tell me all of your ideas.  ALL OF THEM!  Oh, and especially the simpler ones that you’d really like featured here during the month of October.  But don’t leave out the more complicated ones…..because I’ll pick a few of those to highlight, and talk you through making it on your own.  Or maybe simplifying it.  Sound fun??

Okay……leave a comment and share your ideas.  And then, later, when you’re doing the dishes or taking a shower (that’s when ideas come to me!) and you think of another idea, leave me another comment.  I don’t mind lots!

And, you know, maybe in a few days we’ll have a vote…..and then I’ll know which ones should be made first.  Yeah, let’s do that! :)

Talk to you soon! :)

Filed under Featured, Holiday

Comments

248 Responses to “October is Costume Month….any requests??”
    Jamie says:

My daughter wants to be “Candy Land” this year. There is a candyland costume out there.. but it’s lacking in the cuteness department.. She loves frills and tutus so I really wanna girl something up for her.. I’d looooove for you to take the idea and run with it!!

Maybe you have already done one of these and I missed it but I actually have been wanting to ask if you could make a post about 10 ideas for using scraps of fabric or something like that. :) I hate throwing away fabric because not only does it cost a ton but it’s still cute. But on the other hand I think sometimes my husband would prefer if I had about half the material I store. It would be fun to have some ideas on how to use it up.
    Totally not a halloween costume comment. Sorry.

Sarah says:

Dinosaurs!!!
    Or bears, snakes, or skunks according to my 4 year old.
    But seriously a dinosaur costume!!

Sarah says:

I need a Police and a Firefighter costume for my 2 boys. I’ve seen a few tutorials but none that I love. Please help!

Nicole says:

Would love to see your take on Pascal from Tangled. My oldest daughter wants to be Rapunzel so I’d love for my 6 month old to go as Pascal. There are no manufactured Pascal costumes and the homemade ones I’ve seen online are $85-$100.

Susan says:

Policeman please!!

Karli says:

My daughter is into Doc McStuffins and I thought it would be cute to have her sister dress up as Lambie -I would love to see how to make those 2 costumes!

alisha says:

Our family did Wizard of Oz costumes one year…very fun. Our Dorothy costume has been well loved and used, by my girls, as well as friends and family. :) I bet you could make some awesome Wizard of Oz costumes!

Andrea says:

My son is going to be the Bee-Do Minion, my daughter the wicked witch of the west. And I’m going to be Cruella DeVille. My husband will be just himself (which is no fun at all!)

Olga says:

A pirate… With a ruffle shirt, cool jacket and hat…tried to find a tutorial and couldn’t!

Marie says:

A cute firefighter costume would be awesome! Thanks!

Lena says:

I would love to make my toddler a Raggedy Ann costume that includes a tutu…I have found tutorials on how to turn a beanie into a wig but I’m completely stuck on how to do the dress.

I actually did Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy for my first two kids one year. They were ADORABLE! I actually found an old commercial pattern and it had directions for cutting the yarn and making the wigs by sewing them to a tricot cap. It was lightweight and fit tight enough to not shift around on the head. My daughter was only 18 months at the time and she managed to keep the wig on despite hating hats. I added to the pattern by drafting some red and white leggings and black shoe covers.

Leslie says:

I would also like to see this with a Raggedy Andy as well! Thanks! :)

Jamie says:

Bunny rabbit, Cars (lightning mcqueen, mater, miss sally), fairy/princess

Brianna says:

The Monster’s University group…definitely Mike and Sully

Megan says:

We’re doing He-Man/She Ra this year. My kids are He-Man and Orko, I’ll be She Ra or the Sorceress and my husband’s Man-At-Arms. I need to get started soon, but any tips would be appreciated! Thanks for such a great site/source of information. :)

Kimberly says:

Harry Potter’s robe! The patterns I have found don’t look like the real thing and I’m not good and piecing patterns together or adjusting them (like making a hood a little more pointy). Any help would be appreciated ;)

Kimberly says:

…just wanted to add that although all your costumes are fantastic my favorites are the Mary Poppins set! Adorable!

LIz says:

My friends and i wanted to perform “Peter Pan” earlier this year and i was so grateful when i found your tutorials for the Peter Pan costume and the Tinkerbell costume. Maybe you could teach us how to make Captain Hook’s hat and coat? I’m usually the one in charge of costumes (Cause I’m the only one who can sew) and i really am at my wit’s end.
    Oh, and I Googled “Tigerlily” costumes but i couldn’t find any tutorials either? Can you help? Thanks SOOO much in advance. Even a few small tips would be useful.

Debra says:

I made a Tiger Lily costume for my daughter last year and the most helpful thing was finding the suede cloth costume fabric at JoAnns. It already had pre-made fringe and decorative cut outs, and it was polyester and wouldn’t frat at the ends, so it didn’t need any hemming. It made the project so much quicker and looked great! Check out their costume fabrics and you’ll find it. :)

Nicki says:

My husband was Captain Hook last year! I used the Simplicity pattern for the coat from the Jack Sparrow-looking pirate – it’s number 4923. I just did it in a lightweight red fabric, and added gold trim, and it looked just like captain hook! Since it’s a costume pattern, it’s not lined at all, which means it comes together pretty quickly. We bought his hat at a party store (Boswell’s… don’t know if you have any near you. It’s the BEST place for great costume accessories).

Kiran says:

My 10 year old is very into Greek and Roman mythology right now thanks to Percy Jackson. A Greek goddess costume like Athena or Hera would be great!

Sarah says:

Mine wants to be Sofia the First this year

Katelyn Jensen says:

Rapunzel & Flynn Rider!! ( in a way that can be made into an adult version!)

Shandra says:

My daughter decided Rapunzel was a good idea. Turns out the bodice isn’t so bad, but tht princess cut on the skirt had me stumped! My son really wants to be the red angry bird. I need a great idea for a two year old boy, though! I wish I could get my kids to go for themes. That ended when my daughter turned four. Apparently we were already embarrassing!

Adrienne says:

Please please— My 6 year old wants to be an yellow Minion—Don’t know how to make one- I would love your ideas or thoughts. Also- charlie brown/snoopy and sally outfits would be really fun to make for another year!!!

Heather says:

I second the Minion request.

we did minions last year I just dyed a long sleeve tshirt yellow and they wore overalls and I made an easy fleece beanie with hair and sew-on eyes!

• 23.2.1

We did a minion last year. We did yellow tee, overalls, I made a Gru logo for the front of the overalls, and I found some steampunk goggles at target. I parted his hair in the middle like that one minion. It was hilarious. And it was totally comfortable too. The goggles made it though.

Leslie says:

Yes, yes, yes!! :)

Laura says:

If you can do an adult-sized Rapunzel dress, that would be the best thing ever. Because of course, it’s hard to find teenage girl costumes that aren’t…. revolting, to say the least.

Netty says:

I need a simple lamb costume. Can you believe there are none out there? Not that I’d buy one anyway….but nothing… :) Love this idea!

Kristen says:

Any tips for an ice skater’s outfit? I’m stumped.

Katie says:

Are you going to do a link up with this? Because I’m working onanimalcostumes for my husband’s school play and would love to share what I’ve made!

Patty says:

Mickey Mouse & Doc McStuffins!

Paige says:

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse!

Kara says:

Phineas & Ferb with the Fireside Girls.

Jeanette says:

My almost 3 year has given me more ideas than I would have guessed! So far she talks about a mermaid, cat, owl, piggy, girl monster, dinosaur, or pirate. And just today she added Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. Any of these would be fun costumes so maybe one will make your October list! Thanks for being such a great encouragement to a newbie seamstress!

kim says:

ive done a mermaid before now, make the tail shape with green fabric and quilt it to hold its shape the sew onto leggings at the waist, the applique the shell bra onto a white/ pink top :) simple sweet and very effective x

Kathy Hardison says:

My grandson’s name is Hawk (7yrs old) and that’s what he want to be this year for Halloween. He asked me to make his costume and I have only found 1 picture on the internet and there were no instructions. I can’t even find a pattern for a “Hawk”. Where do I start?

RaD says:

What about an “attacked” Peter Pan collar! Bwhaahhaaa!

Morgen Newill says:

I have a 1 and 2 year old. This is my first year to dress them up and I am so excited to make their costumes myself but could use some guidance. My 1 yr old scoots around like a monkey instead of crawling so I was thinking of Curious George for her and My 2 y/o son being the Man in the yellow hat! Let me know if you have any thoughts :)

Last year, I had my baby dressed as a monkey and convinced my 11 year old son to be a banana. He carried his sister around on his back and it was super cute to see a tiny monkey on a huge banana ;-)

Carol Ann says:

I would love to see a “man in the yellow hat” costume. I did a sock monkey for my son 2 halloweens ago, so I’ve got that down. :)

whitney says:

I love themed family costumes (at least while my kids are still young enough to think it’s cool!) and I LOVE LOVE LOVED your mary poppins!! this year we are either doing the roaring 20′s -flappers and gangstas or we might just all go as a different insects (butterfly, bee, ladybug, etc) totally random right?! :) would love to make a caterpillar costume for a toddler or a cute easy flapper dress. can’t wait to see what you do this year.

British American says:

I haven’t dared asked my kids if they have any ideas / requests yet. My daughter found her old super woman/girl costume from the thrift store and it still fits, so she will probably wear that. I picked up some really good Target clearance costumes last year, so that will probably work too.

One thing I am interested in is a robot costume for my 2 year old. They have some cute ideas on pinterest. But I might just make him wear last year’s clearance!

Last year I made cowgirl chaps for my daughter, thanks to pinterest. :)

my husband and son were robots a few years ago, I went to the $ store and got a lot of cheap metal/foil baking wear and electrical cords and used them to make costumes, think I spent $10 on the two costumes total…

Amanda says:

I’m so excited! I always do family costumes (including my husband and I!) and this year we’re doing the Wizard of Oz. Dorothy, scarecrow, wicked witch, Glinda, and my 1-year old as a Munchkin. :) I think I’ve got most of us figured out except for a scarecrow hat, I would love a tutorial for that! Another request would be for dragon and knight costumes. That’s what we almost did this year: knights, princesses and a little 1-year old dragon. It seemed more difficult to do though so I would love some ideas to do it next year!

Anika says:

I love to do family costumes too! We did the Wizard of Oz a couple years ago and I used a fisherman’s hat from a thrift store for my little scarecrow. I stitched fringed fabric around the inside of the brim to be the “straw” and I added a plaid fabric band and a fake leaf to the outside.

Angie says:

Pirate Princess please.

Emily says:

My 4 year old has decided to be WonderRed from super why (the girl in the purple and red leotard with a red cape that rolls around on roller skates) and thus I am going to do my 4 year old in super why to tie the outfits together. I need a girlie version of super why?

Sarah says:

I would love to see you do a minion costume from Despicable Me. My little guy wants to be one, and I’m a little stumped.

I did yellow long sleeve tee with overalls and made a super easy minion hat out of fleece and just sewed on the eye and goggle since I knew my 3, 2, and 4 month old would not keep goggles on HTH

Anika says:

Your costumes are always amazing! I have made my twin bus their costumes each year as well…but they haven’t been as cool as yours! This year I thought I was set on doing Super Heroes, but they have been loving playing the the kitchen set at daycare so now I am toying around with the idea of making them Chef or Baker costumes. I was kind of thinking aprons rather than the white buttoned up shirt.

Lisa says:

Wild Kratts Creature Power Suits, please!!

Brittany says:

Despicable Me minions!!!

Ditto on minions. :)

Susan says:

I have a couple ideas for my 4 year old boy, and 1.5 year old girl – would love if any of these made the list!

Turtle and hare
    Spider and Little Miss Muffett
    Firefighter and dalmation
    Raggedy Andy and Raggedy Ann

Sarah R says:

I have a little redheaded girl who I was thinking of dressing up as Annie. My husband wants her to be strawberry shortcake though. So ideas on either of those would be appreciated.

Amy says:

I’m making a penguin costume for my 6mo, and found your tutorial while looking for ideas, so thank you very much! I considered a Kirby costume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_(character)) this year for my ever-hungry and non-discriminatory baby but couldn’t think of a way to make it safe and not look awful. I I think headgear can really make or break a Halloween costume, so I personally would love some tips there. I’m making a Milli costume, of Team Umizoomi, and am struggling with trying to make a hood – gathered, elastic, or using darts. I’ve seen some pictures of Pac-man costumes which make me chuckle and look like they could be really simple. One of my favorites has always been the family who chose “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” as their theme, and dressed up as caterpillar, leaves, and butterfly. That’s all I’ve got in terms of simple costumes – looking forward to this series!

Chelsea says:

I am about halfway through making a Rapunzel dress for my daughter which has been tricky but is turning out pretty cute if you don’t look to closely at my wonky zipper seams. The bodice is almost done, but I was thinking about doing a panel skirt (is that what you call it?) since that is what it is in the movie and it would make it a bit easier to do the detail on the front. Also, I struggle with gathering large amounts of fabric so I like the idea of getting a full skirt without having to gather. Any tips on making a panel skirt would be appreciated. i think I can handle making Flynn/Eugene for my older son although I am not sure how to go about making convincing boots/shoe covers. I would love some ideas and instruction to make a Pascal chameleon costume for my youngest. I have some ideas of what I might try, but after the trial and error difficulty I have had with the dress so far, I would love some help from a more experienced and creative seamstress.

valou simonnet says:

bonjour tout le monde,c est super toutes ces idées de déguisements .Mais malgrè toutes ces choses sympas ma fille(5ans) maintient son chois,elle veut se deguiser en monster hight!moi je ne suis pas magicienne(enfin si un peu,comme toutes les mamans) et je suis débutante en couture,alors si vous avez des idées simples je veux bien.
    bon week end

Vanessa says:

I have three girls so they are going to be the three little girls in Despicable Me. Mostly I’m finding stuff at Good Will but I will have to do a little sewing too. And my husband is going to be Gru. I wanted to incorporate minions somehow so I got yellow sand buckets and I’m cutting and hot gluing felt on the side to make the buckets look like minions for their treats. :) I think it will turn out great!

Cassie says:

We were thinking about the characters from Jake & the Neverland Pirates over here — would love to see your ideas on that!

nicole says:

since i’m due with our 3rd half way through october….let’s see what you can pull together from what you have in your house. no going out to buy anything. you can make it, but you must have the supplies at home already. i’m not all that creative and my children will just wear coats over their costumes anyway….so what’s the point? (i’m hoping our dress up box will be good enough this year)

okay…ready for it…
    ro-shaw-bo {rock paper scissors}
    barrel of monkey’s
    Queen Frostine {or princess…from Candy Land}
    a Joker card….
    the loose ‘theme’ being games….

Jenny says:

My 3 year old is insistent that he is going to be a beaver. I’d love to make it from a brown sweatsuit. Any tips on attaching a tail and face.

maren says:

my kids are being alice, the mad hatter and queen of hearts, so excited to get sewing for them

Jamie says:

Bumble bee and spider, oooh or little miss muffet and a spider!

Lacey R. says:

The 3 Musketeers! I have three boys and would love to do a Musketeer costume for them, but have no idea where to start. Seems simple in my head (a poncho essentially??) but I know I would get lost once I started. Thanks for helping us all out!

deeanna says:

My daughter is going to be the Dormouse in her school play this year, how about some Alice in Wonderland costumes? If I get very elaborate in her costume I’ll use it for Halloween, too. Alice always looks beautiful in a simple blue dress and ribbon in her hair, and then there are so many other characters to choose from: the caterpillar sitting on a mushroom, the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit, the Card soldiers, or the Queen of Hearts could be fun! And I LOVE your Mary Poppins costumes, completely wonderful! Last year she wanted to be Maximus from Rapunzel. Seriously??? How can you make a horse costume that doesn’t look ridiculous (remember that scene in Ever After with the stepsister dressed as a horse? Yeah, I didn’t want a costume like that!)?

Ruth S says:

We’d love some advice on a Strawberry Shortcake costume!

Diana says:

My boys want to be ninjas, Ninjago Lego ninjas to be exact! Love some ideas on how to make this happen.

Wendy says:

Mike and Sulley from Monsters Inc or Monsters U

Jean says:

I’ll be dressing my kids, incidentally similar to yours in Snow White theme. The 6 yr old girl as Snow White, 3 yr old boy as Prince charming and the 9 mth old baby girl as a dwarf.

Lindsay says:

You read my mind! I’m trying to figure out a (simple!) way to make costumes for my husband and son. I want my two year old to be Curious George, and my husband to be The Man in the Yellow Hat. If you come up with any ideas on how to make these costumes, that would be awesome! :)

Cathy says:

My daughter wants to be a bat. It sounds simple, but I’m not a very good crafter and any help would be appreciated.

Mermaid! I have already bought the fabric to make a mermaid costume for my daughter. I could really use some help though!
    Also, a basic robe, one that could be used for like for Harry Potter, Darth Maul or a Jedi.
    I love costumes, I’m looking forward to it.

We need something that is really warm! It really ruins a super cute frilly princess dress to have 3 layers of sweats underneath because its only 40 degrees! All the Halloween costumes seem to be made for Florida or somewhere really warm. We live in Minnesota and I haven’t seen a Halloween in the past 4 years that hasn’t been freezing! I have 1 boy and 1 girl. To pack warm layers underneath nothing fits, and it ruins it to cover it up.

Cara sullenger says:

My son either wants to be Optimus prime or a blue power ranger. My daughter is going to be tinker bell so I need to go look at your tutorial! I’ve always wanted to do a nacho libre outfit!

I want my toddler to be an elephant and my infant to be a pig. I think I can modify a store bought pattern to make them, but a little help would be nice!!!

Brandi says:

My 4 year old wants to be either strawberry shortcake or draculaura from monster high. I am not creative…any input you have on either would be helpful!

Rheana says:

My 2 year old is adamant she wants to be a butterfly this year. I love the idea of some kind of fabric wings that are durable enough to last through the holiday then join her dress-up bin. Ditto for creative ideas for antennae.

Mary Jo says:

Ok, my son wants to be an Angry Bird. But not just any AB. He wants to be the Han Solo (Star Wars) version of the Angry Bird Chuck OR the Luke Skywalker Angry Bird Red. I have bought my felt materials for the Chuck bird, but am still trying to figure out how to convert the bird into the Star Wars version (haven’t seen much help online). The Angry Birds are popular…how about helping us out?? :) :) :)

Lori Z. says:

My son would love to be one of the plants vs. zombies characters. Bodies may be simple…it’s the head! What do you do for the head?!?

My daughter’s a raven–we are having so much fun with that one. She’s really at the age where she can input and has great ideas!

Stephanie says:

The Hungry Little Caterpillar, for a new baby. That’s what we call him cause he eats all day long!
    What about coordinating costumes for toddler boy & girl siblings? A cocoon and a butterfly?

Jenny says:

For months now my 3 year old has insisted on being a skunk! I’ve only ever seen skunk costumes for babies and young toddlers! HELP!

Jenny says:

Just thought of something fun that I would totally do if I had an older girl – Rainbow Bright! and then a younger sibling could be a sprite or whatever those furry guys were called :)

Alicia says:

Any ideas for a mermaid tail?

Sharlyn says:

Something to fit over a snow suit. We live in idaho :)

Jodi says:

Toy story characters…buzz is seeming tricky to me!

My daughter wants to be Cinderella. I’ll be making a tulle dress but I am stumped on how to make the long elegant gloves. I still have no clue what my 2yr old daughter will be, she is my little tomboy. I’d welcome the suggestions.

Sydney says:

I really like the owl idea. So cute!

jan boss says:

I did a Hungry Catepillar for my crawling baby 2 years ago- i used a large t-shirt to make a one piece suit and colored yarn- I will send you the picture! It has lots of potential for the little crowd with fruit etc.. it was SO cute! but, I am sure you could fancy it up a bit =)

Octopus and statue of liberty!

Megan says:

Pottery Barn kids has some super cute costumes for sale–but they are all about $50 :(
    So to see you knock those off would be amazing! I am determined to make the Frankenstein one–it looks simple. A head-piece and tunic. I can do it, right?!?

Kathy Davis says:

My daughter wants to dress up my 1 year old granddaughter as a banana. I have looked endlessly for a pattern with no luck. Do you have a tutorial or a pattern?. It can’t be that hard but I need a pattern. Not sure I could make one from scratch. Thanks, Kathy

becky says:

Star Wars! I got a bunch of fabric by the pound in the la fabric district. I am looking for a good cape pattern and robes!

My 3 year-old son really wants to be a whale for Halloween! I would love to see how you would make it.

Kate says:

My daughter wants to be a lollipop fairy like the one from the Chasing Fireflies catalog…if you could recreate something like that minus the price tag that would be awesome

Christine says:

My daughter loved that one too, if it is the same catalogue I am thinking of. Looked at the price of $80, though, and explained how we wouldn’t be getting that one.

I have three boys. They really want to be ninja turtles. I’m really at a loss as to how to create that kind of costume. Star Wars would be awesome too. Thanks!

Rebecca says:

Ninja turtles! This is non-negotiable according to my 4 year old. And since my 2 year old could care less, I thought I’d make him one, too. You know…so it looks like I tried. Because last year it didn’t.

Sally says:

I would love some help on how to make a Yoda costume for my toddler. I love the already made costume for it’s hat (aka Yoda ears) because they have definition. I have looked all over online and everyone just does simple ears. Do you have suggestions for adding more definition to the ears?

Mariah says:

My child wants to be a dark pink dalmation with aqua spots! Any cute girl dog costumes would be very helpful. I also love the suggestion for a dinosaur costume – one that could be girly too.

Beth J says:

My daughter wants to be a dalmation and my son wants to be a dragon, specifically Toothless from How to Train a Dragon.

Kellie S. says:

My niece wants to be a peacock (my kids are grown now but I still get to sew for my niece and nephew :) ). I have some ideas about what I would like to do but you are so darn creative I would love your take on it.

robyn marchant says:

My son wants to be Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Fern so I’d love to see you do that. Or a minion from despicable me!

Heidi says:

My daughter is going to be a vampire ( a nice one!). The teeth seem pretty important to her but not sure how to do it. Any suggestions? She isn’t interested in those cheaply ones that make you drool! ( her words, not mine!).

Oh my goodness!! How have I not see the Mary Poppins one until now? I am grinning like a fool right now I am so happy. I just love that movie, I love Bert, I LOVE the penguin scene the best, and oh how I always just LOVED Mary Poppin’s dress. You made it perfect, and I agree, one in my size please!!!! I know you hear this all the time, but oh thank you for sharing this, I’ll be grinning all day tomorrow just thinking about it. And what beautiful, sweet, adorable children you have!!

Dar says:

Sweet, adorable children is an absolute understatement!! You certainly have been blessed with crafting talent and super cute kids. I’ve been following your posts for a very long time, and truely look forward to each and every one of them. Take care, and keep up the great work!

Seema says:

My 9 year old is into Greek princess…so any costume for Athena, Cleopatra would be simply wonderful! You are my go to place for sewing tips and have been following your blog for couple of years!

Casey says:

Henry Hugglemonster! It’s my kid’s favorite show, and there are NO costumes out for it yet! Please!!!!

Angi says:

My son wants to be an octonauts this year. In thinking captain barnacles.

Emily P says:

The Onceler and The Lorax please!

Lana says:

Oh this is good! I want to make my boys shark costumes, but really simple! I was thinking grey hoodies with teeth on the hood and a fin, not sure if that’s a little too simple for halloween though! And my daughter a mermaid.. maybe a good mermaid tutu idea? I can’t wait to see all of the costumes!

jess says:

We did this one last year, I think Martha Stewart had a mini tutorial but I liked that it was something that could be worn after the holiday. The hard part was finding plain sweats.

jess says:

My son wants to be Snoopy, it should be fairly simple but who knows.

chris says:

Hi Ashley,
    I always get great ideas from you costumes and since we here in Germany celebrate carneval only in february I got enough time left to get my costumes done :)
    Halloween is getting bigger, but in my family we get the pumkins, but pass on the dressing up.

Carolyn says:

My daughter wants to be a rainbow this year. I’m out of ideas for how to put this together. Please help! ;-)

Ramya says:

My daughter will be a peacock, i have ordered the feathers from ebay. Making a silk dress with old left over fabric, its going to be a long dress more like a princess one with dark blueish green in bottom and light green in top. Then planning to attach the peacock feathers 50 of them to a tulle that i bought and attach that to a ribbon so it will wrap around her waist. Once halloween is over i will add some rhinestones to the top and belt area so she can use the dress for christmas or any other party.

My 5 yr old twin girls want to be a skunk and a raccoon! And not the cute ones like the costumes we have looked at, but real looking ones! They have asked for a hat with animal ears on top and that is long on the sides like a scarf and has pockets on the ends (we have seen these around) and then furry cuffs and leg warmers. They want real looking tails. The best part, the skunk wants to be able to lift her tail and spray water (she doesn’t want to make her friends stinky *thank goodness*) and the raccoon wants her eyes to glow yellow (because you trick or treat at night and raccoons eyes glow yellow in the light at night). We live in Texas and it is usually warm on Halloween so I did convince them to wear pants and a t-shirt instead of a full fur costume, which was a huge concession for them. All fur would be more realistic but it would just be way too hot! Now I need to figure out how to engineer a lifting tail and spray as well as glowing eyes! Oy, these creative kids : )

Amanda says:

I want to make my son a turtle costume and I sure could use your help with ideas!!!

Melanie says:

Were undecided though there are some recurring themes being tossed around. We have a 8 year old daughter and our boys are 6 and 5 sooooo here’s our narrowed down list:

Ninja Turtles (Raphael, Michelangelo and April O’Neil)
    Despicable Me (Minions with one minion in a skirt)
    Avatar: The Last Airbender (Ang, Sokka and Katara)

Of course we could end up with any combination of those ;)

Karyn says:

Alice in wonderland: Alice, Madhatter and the Cheshire cat or the white rabbit.
    Monsters Inc. : Chloe can be Boo!

We have a cheetah, a zombie little red riding hood and mother nature in this house. Odd crew I have.

Laura says:

My daughter wants to be Shirley Temple…where do I even start?!?

Joell says:

Hulk, captain America, black widow
    Jake, izzy, covey (jake and the neverland pirates)

Domanique says:

Husband, baby and I are going to be star wars, han and- luke (orange jumpsuit and helmet), leia…. if you happen to give me some help on that one I would greatly appreciate it ;)

Melanie says:

My daughter is going to be a princess for Halloween! Instead of starting a project from scratch though, my goal is to modify her existing flower girl dress by adding some colored fabric and embellishments (the dress is currently all white and plain with no embellishments). But I’m not really sure how to do it, so any ideas or tips would be super helpful! :)

Lisa says:

My daughter wants to be Izzy from Jake and the Neverland Pirates. That seems like an easy one to put together, but with your creative mind you would be able to make it awesome! My other daughter wants to be Sofia the First, but any princess dress type tutorial would be very helpful. Thanks again for all of your brilliant ideas, I look forward to your Halloween costumes every year! You are amazing and I’m so excited that you are doing this costume theme this month. Thanks in advance!

Natalie says:

How about the kids from Harry Potter?

Whitney isetta says:

4.5 yr old boy want to be the bee_do minion with flashing lights on his head and a bullhorn. He wants his 1.5 yr old sister to be a girl minion…. I’ve got the basics, just not sure on the best way to attach beacon lights to the boys head and how to get the girl to wear goggles…. Maybe as part of a hat?

Mary Lou Hart says:

My first year ever making a costume but my 4 yr wants to be Minnie Mouse. And since she is getting homemade her brother is now trying to design a robot costume he would like built.

Jennifer says:

My vote is for Boo from Monsters Inc. I’m planning on making Sully and Mike costumes for my husband and I and my two year old will be Boo.

Christine says:

PLEASE show how to make a mermaid tail. I bought the sparkly material (and some lining material to avoid itchiness), but keep trying to figure out how to make the tail part flair out at the bottom. If you really want to be a doll, give an idea for a mermaid top to go with the tail.

Megan says:

My son really wants to be a bat. Not batman, just a bat. In my head, that seems simple enough, but I’m not sure where to start. I adore your work, thank you for all that you do busy mama!

Clara says:

My kids really want to be minions from Dispicable Me! Please show me an inexpensive way to make these!

Marcee says:

First time commenter, LOOOOOOOONG time follower! Love your stuff and love you, Ashley! My 5 year old is super into Magic Treehouse books and wants to be Morgan La Fey for Halloween. This means a robe, and white flowing hair, that’s all I know. You should see the cute pictures she draws to design it and I have NO IDEA how to make this one happen. We are thinking of doing a whole Camelot theme for all 5 of us, then the 3 year old can still be a princess.
    Other helpful and versatile tutorials would be: a hooded cape/cloak. It’s sort of a basic piece of a TON of great costumes. I about when cross-eyed trying to make two for my goldilocks girls last year (they both wanted to be Goldilocks, my husband, me and and the baby where the three bears).

carrie says:

My 8 yr old daughter wants to be a gumball machine for halloween. Help!!

kristi says:

daniel tiger and his crew…. or cookie monster and elmo’s crew. I need a sweet costume idea for a crawling baby. Taco? Snail? Mop?

kara says:

We are planning on being the Incredibles. But I’m all for the princesses dresses too.:) specifically Ariel, oh and maybe an eel??? I also like the idea of Pascal from Tangled. And any boy costumes would be great. hwe LOVE our Halloween too and always do awesome family themes.

Becca says:

Since Mary Poppins was your favorite for your kids, how about an adult version for adults. Mary and Bert ;) -Becca

Jen says:

A firefighter for a little boy

Katie says:

Mickey and Minnie Mouse! My 1 year old would be Mickey and my almost 3 year old would be Minnie.

Connie says:

A pirate!

Kelly says:

I’d really like to see a few costume ideas for transforming a baby carrier (a bjorn or an ergo) into a cute costume. Maybe turn it into a princess…or something more fun? There really arent a lot of great costumes out there for tiny babies, and since they’ll most likely be sleeping the whole costume is lost on them anyway. Turning the carrier into a costume would be fun, just trying to figure out how to make it work is stressing me out! Any ideas?

Gina S says:

I don’t know if it’ll help, but here are a few I’ve made in the past few years:

A (child) bride because my girl attended a wedding in the summer and wanted to be a “getting married person” for Halloween:

and the year before, she was a garden gnome (and, at her request, I was, too, though she looked much cuter as one) because she was in love with “Gnomeo and Juliet”:

She wants to be a cat this year, no Minnie Mouse, no, a cat! Ah, the indecisiveness of childhood. I’d love to see your take on any of those. A cat, Minnie Mouse, or the gnome would be pretty quick to whip up, I think. The bride was pretty detailed, but I’m sure it could be simplified into a couple of naptimes.

Morgan says:

How about a cheerleader? I’m not really sure how to attach the trim?

Helene says:

Piglet, Tigger and Winnie the Pooh:)

Kathie says:

We would like a CUPCAKE costume for my 9-month-old granddaughter, named Kate. Her nickname, from her other grandma, is “Cup-Kate.”
    Thanks for any help you can give!
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN, y’all!

Janae says:

My 5 year old is insisting on being Merida from Brave this year. My 7 yr old would like to be Snow White, and my 9yr old is still deciding between Harry Potter (which means I need to sew the robe) or a robot. My oldest refuses to dress up this year. I’m pretty overwhelmed with how to go about all of this!

Carmen says:

We’re torn this year between Astrid (from How to Train Your Dragon) and our daughter’s current love of Sophia the First (there must be some voodoo going between Disney princesses and little girls – they always seem to go together).

Alyssa says:

I had to make my daughter’s Halloween costume a bit early this year just so it’d get done. (Having her sister sometimes in October, and the thought of having a half-done Halloween costume terrified me more than having the baby!) She’s going to be Wonder Woman, used a 1950s toddler dress for the pattern.

I would love to see comic hero costumes! Modern or “vintage” based.

Jenn says:

A friendly simple ghost from a white sheet. This is what my 6 year old wants to be. I’m mostly concerned with the eye holes. I don’t want them to tear as he’s walking around. Suggestions?

Jill says:

I would love to see some ideas of how to turn old clothes like t-shirts and such into inexpensive costumes. Last year I sewed some yellow ruffles to a black tshirt to make an inexpensive bee costume. would love some more unique ideas along the same lines.

My three-year-old is going to be a garbage truck this year. I have some ideas from Pinterest, but yours are welcome too!

Nylka says:

My 10 year old daughter wants to dress up as Frankenstein’s Princess Child. We are doing it bit by bit but any ideas are welcome!

Deirdra says:

My 7 year old wants to be a platypus, but not Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb. She wants it to be patterned after a real platypus. Their are no ideas our their and I don’t know where to start. Ahhhh…..help!

My kids want to be Muppets. Any ideas for Miss Piggy or any of the Muppets?

Heather says:

BEARDS! My boys want to go as the Robertsons, and all of the beard hats I’m finding are ridiculously expensive! It is COLD here for HAlloween, so the attached hat is a must. Can you help?

I would LOVE an adult Minion costume too.

Melissa says:

Mermaids!

Olivia says:

Here are some ideas:

-The Nutcracker Ballet!
    -Nightmare before Christmas!
    -Alice in Wonderland! or a
    -retro style like Awesome 80′s or a
    -Futuristic look like from the Disney Channel Movie Zenon Girl from the 21st Century.
    -Popeye
    -Speed Racer
    -Charlie Brown

Adina says:

I’d like to dress my 2 toddlers as munchkins from the wizard of oz. But how do I make it look specifically like munchkins and not just weird looking older ppl’s clothes on little kids?
    Also, I’ll have a new born who I want to wear in a carrier and dress as toto. maybe a hat is enough for that… but I’d love to hear your ideas on that.

Laci says:

A cheerleader would be great!

Shayna says:

I think Wreck-it-Ralph would be fun. Fix-it-Felix and Ralph and Vanellope Von Schweets.

Sarah says:

Hi Ashley! What about a poodle skirt? My 9 year old cutie wants me to make her a purple one. : )

renee says:

how about boys and girls sailor outfits. I google sailor costumes and get adult women sailor ideas and they are less than appropriate for little kids:(

Barbie says:

Well, I can see this one won’t win the popular vote, but I’ve got one girl that wants to be a pony and this outfit has me stumped. The other wants to be a princess thankfully- so I’ll make her a pretty dress and give her a tiara. But, a PONY!? She wants a main and tail. Sheesh!

Kristina Calkins says:

Butterfly wings

Kelley F. says:

Very hungry caterpillar

Stacey says:

My 2 year old daughter wants to be a caterpillar – would love a cute idea for that!

Gretchen says:

My daughter wants to be a rainbow!

Hailey says:

Wizard of OZ!

Laura J. says:

My 2-year-old has begun her Cinderella obsession phase. I really don’t have the time to do a full on princess dress, but I want it to be nice. Are you sure yours isn’t for sale? ;)

Ashlie says:

You left out MY favorite costume from your blog! The pregnant skeleton! I made my own a few years ago, it was a hit! I don’t know that I have a suggestion for a new costume tutorial, my youngest is going to be a cow. I have yet to figure out how to make an udder, and she was just going to be udder-less. So I guess that might be my suggestion.

Brenda Picanco says:

I have three boys and a two month old baby girl. This year my boys are going to be Football Players and our girl is going to be a football. Then if we have time/money, my husband and I are going to be referees. If you have any good tutorials of how to make a football player uniform and/or the football helmet, I would really appreciate it. I am mostly struggling with the helmet part.

Thank you!

Becca says:

I have a 15 month old girl I would love to make a cute, but simple costume. I love that little fluffy pig or that strawberry. Or what about a pumpkin in the style of the strawberry costume. I also think little girl owls are adorable.

Jenifer says:

Help!! I have always done a family themed Halloween with cute, simple costumes. This year I’ve spent almost all year on bed rest or in the hospital or recovering from a pretty major operation to deliver my eighth baby. Have any great ideas for my family of 10?!! I need something to include two teenage boys, 5 middle girls and a 4 month old miracle baby. Plus, still having medical issues so won’t be able to sew little house on the prairie outfits like I did last year… Sigh. Any fun ideas?!!

Lindsey says:

Superheroes!

My little guy is obsessed right now. I’d love to figure out how to make a Hulk costume (or another superhero) with padded muscles. He would think that is so awesome!

Shawna says:

I have an almost 9 year old girl. Have you seem the costumes available for purchase for girls size 10-12 and 14? They are most certainly not appropriate. Therefore, I need to make my daughter’s costume this year. She wants to dress like she is going to a masquerade ball this year. We found a great mask with peacock feathers at a local retailer. But now I need to do an over the top masquerade like dress. I would love to see your take on it! Thank you!

Susan Canady says:

My 2 year old wants Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates!

Leann says:

First of all, your costumes are THE BEST!!!! I’m not buttering you up or anything…..really ..wow!
    My daughter has been going thru a certain costume book and has found what looks like a retro sailor girl outfit. It kind of looks like a tap dance outfit. Long pants (no shortshort skirt here) made of blue sparkly material w/ gold buttons and trim. A sort of white spartkly tank top w/ a big blue collar and a large red bow, more gold buttons and trim. With a little blue and white cap of the same material. We have not figured out what the 3 yo brother is going to dress up as.

Leann says:

I did have a thought about making little 3 yo brother the siren Minion (the one w/ the 3 red lights on his head) saying “Beeedoooobeeeedooooo.” He does the perfect impression. Whaddayathink?

Sydney says:

I really want Hunger Games characters! Probably not for your children they might be a little young:)

Alexis Bulloch says:

I would love to see your take on a mermaid/ mermaid fins. :)

Cary says:

Didn’t have time to read all the comments and am coming a little late to the game but I have to say anything and all things Star Wars are what is loved around here…

Georgina says:

Merida from Brave!
    We live in Australia, and Simplicity, McCalls etc don’t sell many Disney patterns here & nothing to do with Brave :( So I am hoping that you could give some tips on those tricky sleeves as a start. I’ve already got a start on the bear costumes for her brothers & silly me started those before checking if I could buy the Merida pattern!
    P.S. I LOVE your site! What you can do is amazing! I’ve made countless items from here, my favorites are the Christmas accessories you’ve done :)

lisa says:

I would love to see a shark costume. I just finished using your penguin tutorial for my oldest and it turned out amazing and I’m just a beginner. Your tutorials are the best I have used. I feel some omit steps and are for more experienced, but you include all the steps with pictures and make it easy. THANK YOU! I love this time of year as well. In fact, making my kids their own costumes was the reason I purchased a sewing machine. Now they can tell me each year what they want to be and we never have to worry about trying to locate a costume in the stores. Plus, I hope they look back when they are older and realize how much love went into them :)

charissa says:

my daughter, who is 6, is obsessed with Disney’s “Teen Beach Movie” & wanted to be the “Mack” character. well that costume is already sold out & and on backorder until February ???! Crazy, because it is a simple costume that i know i can make but just need some guidance.

Emily says:

Somethine easy for older boys…like 9 or 10…that are getting a little too big for dress up, but still have a parade at school. :)

Leslie says:

I would love to see Raggedy Ann & Andy costumes or some little despicable me minions! :) I would like to do one of these two ideas for my son and daughter and really need your help!! :) Thanks!

Stacy says:

Flinstones! My daughter (2T) and her friend (3T) are going to go as Pebbles and BamBam. It would be so much better to be able to make the costumes instead of having to buy them!

Lindsay says:

I have a friend who’s asked me to make her 6m old a staypuft marshmallow man costume like she’s found on the internet that unfortunately doesn’t have a tutorial. Boo! Hiss! I’m struggling with the idea of making an easy on/off costume (to prevent overheating… Do diaper changes etc) while making it puffy with stuffing. I want it to NOT require being stuffed AFTER the baby is in it. Does that make sense?? HELP!

Diane says:

My son wants to be the a Ninjago ninja. I’d rather just make it into a red ninja costume and not worry about making him look like a lego too. =) That way it would be easier to use as a dress up. Any ideas with how to do the top ninja robe and mask? I hate paying for a pattern for a one-time thing.

kristal says:

Please please please please on my knees do lambie my 11month old and myself lol love her and your the perfect person for it you put so much love into all of your projects its inspiring.

Tracy says:

I would love to see a post on accessories and/or props. This year my son wants to be the man with the yellow hat (from curious george) I’m all set on the shirt/pants/tie because those are really basic, but I’ve got to figure out a way to make an ACCURATE yellow hat. All the ones I’ve seen are very floppy, or the wrong shape etc. So maybe a post on wigs, hats, etc.

Kristi says:

I am cheap and am going to use my son’s fireman raincoat and rain boots to make him into a fireman this year. But I still need a fireman hat! :) And any other miscellaneous fireman equipment.

Tracie says:

My daughter wants to be a spy and I cannot find a good spy costume anywhere!!! I seriously need help on this one and she refuses to change it. HELP!!!

Elizabeth says:

My daughter wants to be a bat. I bought some fabric and a black hoodie to attach the wings and ears to. I’d love to see your spin on it!

Rachel says:

I would like ideas for a knight costume and little bo-peep. Your costumes and tutorials are great! Looking forward to your costumes this year.

melissa says:

My daughter REALLY wants to be a ghost! After hours of scouring the internet and blog world I cannot find any cute ideas for how to execute a ghost costume. I don’t want to just do a sheet over the head because I know she won’t wear it for more than 5 minutes and, let’s be honest, it doesn’t allow for any creative fun! If you have any good ideas for a cute ghost costume, I would LOVE to hear them! Thanks

Avin says:

Lala loopsy pillow to be exact. I have the pajama part but the wig I need help with I want the curls super exaggerated like they are on the dolls. My four year old picked this out in august. Her little sister will be sheep number 5.

Donna says:

I would LOVE it if you could do a Smurfette outfit! My daughter so wants to be a Smurfette but I have no idea how to make a dress for her!

Amy says:

My 3 yr old is going to be Izzy from Jake and the Neverland Pirates…we were thinking our 18 month old could but Skully the parrot…but I need some easy ideas for a parrot costume! :) And ideas for me and my husband…

Laurel says:

My son is going to be a knight. I found a great costume, sword and shield, but he desperately wants a sheeth for his sword. I’d love to get an idea from you on how to make a sword sheeth. You are amazing, by the way. You are super human, really! :) I am amazed at your talent and grateful you so willingly share it with all of us. Thank you!!

Jackie Lee says:

I’m desperate for a “pretty witch” dress!!! My 3 year old granddaughter is counting on me! I’m hoping for a black dress with purple, orange and bright green accents. I would love to find striped long socks or tights too! I am imagining a cross between Rapunzel and maybe Cinderella with more JAZZ added to it. Or an upbeat rendition of the Wicked a Witch of the West? Tulle or Organza or Netting at the hips and perhaps trailing under the arms/sleeves/wrists? Sparkle, satin, twirl, ribbons…. Gosh, am I asking too much?!? Lol!

Mindy says:

Love how you can see them grow up in these photos!

193. 192.1