Fabric Flower Belt……cinch it in!!

Remember last week when I turned a Maxi Dress into a Maxi Skirt?  And my sister was wearing this little aqua belt, cinched in at the waist?

maxi dress into maxi skirt-002

Well, many of you asked where the belt came from.  So I said I’d duplicate it…..and show you how simple of a belt it is.

So I looked at it and measured it and folded back petals, etc.  Meh, not too tricky at all.

So, I made my sister another one……..in a cute little polka dot print.

IMG_0492-002

In case you were wondering how that little belt works, there’s a D-ring closure hidden behind the flower.

IMG_0575

And if you pull on one of the “leaves”, you can tighten/loosen the belt.  Such a clever idea, right?  (I’m not tooting my own horn….I just adopted the idea from the original aqua belt. Ha.)

IMG_0617

Such a fun way to liven up an outfit.  And really cinch in that waist.  (Again, it’s nice having my sister around to use as my model, rather than my dress form!  Thanks Robin!)

IMG_0549

IMG_0625

And in case you think you can’t make this one……..the flower portion is far from science.  It’s just a lot of folding around in a circle, and really, it just works out.  This is a great beginner project, so just give it a try.  You’ll never know unless you push yourself just a tad. :)

And then, once you do, others will say……hey, where did you buy that darling belt?

And you’ll say, “oh this ol’ thing?  I MADE IT!!“  Such a great feeling! :)

IMG_0518

Ready to get started??

Okay, time to get the first two pieces of the belt cut out.  (There’s one more piece later….but don’t worry about it yet.)

I used a quilting cotton type of fabric.  You know how some regular cotton fabrics are kinda flimsy and thin.  Stay away from those and find one that’s a little sturdier.  But not an upholstery fabric.  You’ll see what I’m talking about if you browse the fabric section, in the quilting cotton section, and start feeling fabrics.  Some are a little sturdier than others.  Pick a thicker type.  Or else, add some very thin interfacing to the back of some flimsier stuff, if you’re dying to use a particular thinner fabric. :)

Now, measure your waist, or hips…..wherever you’ll be wearing your belt.  And then add 7 inches to that number…….and that’s the length of your strip.  The width of your strip will be 5 inches wide.  Cut your second strip of your fabric 44 x 4 inches.

IMG_0264

Fold the Belt strip of fabric in half lengthwise.  Sew along the long edges, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  However, before you reach the other end of the fabric, curve your line of stitches over to the folded side of the fabric.  (Marking this line with a pen/pencil and then following it with your sewing machine is very helpful.)

IMG_0282

Trim off the excess fabric from the curve and then cut notches into the curved edge of the fabric.  This will help the fabric lay flat after turning it right side out.  (Why trim the edges and cut notches??)

IMG_0292

Now, turn the tube right side out.  Since one end is closed, the safety pin trick won’t work as well.  Instead, I poke the closed end inside of itself and then push the eraser end of a pencil in there and then push it through the length of the tube.  Once I reach the other end, I remove the pencil and turn the tube right side out.

flower belt1

Iron flat.  And then set aside.

IMG_0309

Do the same thing with the “slower” strip of fabric……except DON’T sew a curve into the end.  Just sew a straight line and turn your tube right side out and iron.  (Need helping turning a tube right side out with a safety pin?)

IMG_0334

At one end, fold the two sides in just a bit…..making the end a little smaller.

IMG_0340

Then, begin rolling this end over onto itself, creating the center of the flower.  Continue folding and twisting the fabric a bit, as you wrap the fabric around itself (wrapping clockwise).  If yours looks different from mine, that’s okay.  You’re just creating the center of the flower and if it’s just twisted fabric, that’s okay.  This flower is very forgiving and can be unique.

flower belt2

Once the center of your flower is about 3/4 -1 inch wide, that’s probably big enough.  (You want to save the rest of your strip for your flower petals.)  Use a needle and thread and poke it through the layers of fabric from the BACK of the flower.  Stitch through those layers several times, holding them in place.  Then, in case you didn’t catch any of the center fabric, stick your needle up from the bottom and out the center top of the flower.  Then, go right back down, catching a little bit of the fabric in the center of the fabric and back down to the bottom.  Stitch a few more times at the bottom, securing everything in place.  Knot your thread and cut off excess thread.  (Need help with hand stitching??)

flower belt3

Now, with your tail of fabric, lay it flat as you fold it again and again, making diagonal folds around in a circle.  The goal is to frame these folds around the center portion of the flower.  However, you won’t be twisting like you did with the center of the flower……you want the fabric to lay flat.  Alternate where you fold the fabric, so that the petals are varied in location.  Once you reach the end, you’ll just have a short tail of fabric left.  Fold it towards the back.

flower belt4

Now, use a needle and thread to secure all of these folds in place, hiding each of your stitches behind petals.  Try going through as many layers as you can towards the center of the flower and repeat several times, all the way around the center of the flower.  Once everything is secure, knot your thread on the back and trim off the ends.

IMG_0375

Then, cut one more piece of fabric, 5 x 5 inches in size.

IMG_0379

Then, fold it in half and sew along the two long ends, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  However, at one end, make a curve, just like you did with your “belt” strip of fabric.

IMG_0380

Trim the curve the same way, turn it right side out, and iron flat……just like the “belt” strip.

IMG_0385

Then, make little folds in the open end and pin in place.  (This doesn’t have to be perfect.  But you just want to pull it in to give the leaf some shape.)  Set aside.

IMG_0392

Place the strip down in front of you with the curved end at your left side and the open end at the right side.  At the left side, make sure the curved end is on the bottom edge of the strip.  Then, at the right side of the strip, slide two 1 1/2 inch D-rings onto the end and fold the fabric over on top, 2 1/2 inches.  Pin in place.

IMG_0398

Then, grab your single leaf and slide it between the folded fabric, on the top edge (the curved edge facing toward the right).  Pin it between the folded fabric, keeping your folds in place.  Pin again.  Then sew in place, securing the petal between the folds.

flower belt5

Then, fold the raw edge of this flap of fabric, under a 1/2 inch.

IMG_0410

Sew this fold in place with 2 seams.  Now, this is completely optional but to give the belt a more uniform look with where it cinches in a bit, bunch the fabric under your needle as you’re sewing the flap in place.  This will sort of pleat the fabric and will help the belt look the same on both sides of the flower.

IMG_0416

Now, turn your belt over, with the sewn flap face down.  And center the back side of your flower onto this end of your belt.

IMG_0425

Hand stitch your flower onto the belt, nice and secure, hiding all of your stitches beneath flaps of “petals”.

IMG_0428

And in case you’ve never used D-rings before…….you slide your belt end through both rings.

IMG_0442

Then fold the end back towards the rings but go over the ring on the right and under the ring on the left.

IMG_0444

Pull the belt end and it will cinch in nice and snug.

IMG_0450

And that’s it.

Hope it went well for you! :)

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor

Comments

37 Responses to “Fabric Flower Belt……cinch it in!!”
    Hallie says:

I have been looking forward to this tutorial!! Thanks so much!!!

Jodi says:

Clever!! I just might have to make one of these.

Ellie says:

How big does the flower end up? I want to make one for my daughter’s 11th birthday next week but I don’t want the flower to be as big as her whole stomach. :-) I guess if I just make the tube and start making the flower I can always stop folding and trim off the extra if it gets too big. Or would you cut the 44×4″ strip a little narrower? I want to make one for her and then let her make them for all her friends’ birthdays this year. I love how cute and easy it is. AND Hobby Lobby just opened around the corner from my house and I went yesterday for a quick peek and it’s SO much better than the other fabric store options we have here. I’m super excited to make a bunch of projects from your site that I haven’t been able to do up to now because I couldn’t find the right fabric. Yea!

Lynette says:

Oh yay that you have a hobby lobby by you now! The closest one to me is 2 hours in one direction and 4+ in the other! I had a thought about the flower for your daughter. If you made the strip for the flower narrower, it may get harder to turn right side out. I would just do what you said, make it until it’s big enough for her. What a cute idea for friends’ birthdays!

Lynette gave great advice! I would just end it sooner if needs be….or just make the folds closer together so that the flower ends up smaller. Good luck……what a fun thing to make for a gift! :)

• 3.2.1
        Ellie says:

I ended up making the folds closer together (not really on purpose but that’s just how it turned out) and it ended up a good size. It’s super cute.

Here’s another question — did you know when you said to wrap the flower clockwise that it wouldn’t work counter-clockwise or did you just say that because it matched your pictures? I started it counter-clockwise and I couldn’t figure out how to make the folds work. I spent way too long trying to figure it out before pulling it apart and wrapping it the other way and then it worked with no problem. I can’t figure out why it would matter which way you wrap it. But it turned out great and I know my daughter is going to love it. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Khadija says:

How adorable! I can’t wait to make some!!

Chelsea says:

Love this! I want to make ten!

Thesha says:

This belt is so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

cucicucicoo says:

SUCH a cute idea! Love it! :) Lisa

Sheryl says:

Love this ….will make it for my daughter!

Lynette says:

I was wondering about that belt too! I am not even a belt girl, but I think I will have to be now. That is super cute!

Ellie says:

Thanks for this and thanks to your sister for buying the belt! Such a simple idea to dress up any outfit. I will make several for myself and my daughter. (I see there’s another Ellie commenter :) )

Tiffany S. says:

Cute!!!!! I can imagine this belt done in other fabrics, too!

Angie says:

Super Cute!!! I’ve gotta give this a go!

I made this in black and I just love it! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Kristen says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I’ll add it to my project list!

Neviana says:

Thanks so much!!!

LIz says:

Wow, wow, wow! That is an awesome belt, and you put together an awesome tutorial!
    Just wondering though….. where can you find D-rings? At a craft shop or something? Or can i substitute the D-rings with something else?

I got my d-rings at Hobby Lobby. You can get those at any craft store or fabric store. You may be able to use o-rings or square rings as long as you have two. Have fun!

Lisa says:

Gah! I was thinking about your blog today and wondering why I hadn’t seen anything from you only to realize that your posts haven’t been coming to my reader like they should be, so I’m behind! I’ve got some posts to look through now! I won’t rely on that anymore… :)

Sally says:

Thanks, it’s fabulous

Lynette says:

I just finished one and it took me less time than my son’s nap! Yay! I made it in cream so I can wear it with everything. I have a teal-ish color cut out and ready for another day. I also plan on making one for my sister who is serving a mission for Christmas. Sister missionaries would love these! Thanks for the easy tutorial. I did cheat and glued my flower on at the very end! :)

Raven says:

How much fabric should I buy to make the flower? 1/4 yard? 1/2 yard?

This is such a fun belt and I love the fabric you choose. It’s the perfect gift. I featured this on my Handmade Gift Ideas! http://www.throughtheeyesofthemrs.com/2013/11/30-handmade-gift-ideas.html

Tonya says:

Love it. I foresee this in our daughter’s Christmas stuff

Kristen says:

I just finished making this for my sister-in-law as a Christmas present. I made it in a black fabric with small white polka dots and I LOVE how it turned out. I will be making 1 (or 2) for myself after New Years! I have used your tutorials to make a few things now, and they are wonderful. Thank you for the clear instructions and wonderful pictures. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Samantha says:

Your belt is pretty. I like the flower and leaf though I believe that the belt itself does need some stiffener inside to have some shape to it.

michelle says:

Thanks! I made this for myself and made a variation for each of my daughters making a bow instead of flower ( much quicker taking only 15 mins each)

Kimberly says:

I am wondering if the belt needs more interfacing or something to keep it from rolling and bunching up over the course of the day? ? would love to hear from those of you who tried the belt out of worn it all day.

Laurel says:

For the record I made one of these for my 6 year old last night, I followed the instructions exactly and made the full-sized flower. She’s very petite, but I think it looks totally cute on her the way it is! Its the perfect accessory for her Easter dress.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] I’ve come to realize that cinch belts are my secret wardrobe weapon. They add a pop of color and define my waist, taking a top (or dress, or cardigan) from sloppy to smart in just a few seconds.  Ashley from Make It and Love It shows how to make a wide belt embellished with a fabric flower.  The belt itself is a simple D-ring belt, with the rings hidden under an oversized fabric flower.  Go to Make It and Love It for the how-to. […]

2. […] make a flower belt like the one Ashley from Make It-Love It had made.  You can find that tutorial here.  Since my fabric was a little thin I did use some interfacing that I had on hand.  I used this […]

3. […] Fabric Flower Belt from Make It And Love It […]