Stuffed Toy Snakes……soft and cuddly!!

Looking for the $100 Fandango gift card giveaway?  It would be the perfect thing to take your whole family to see the new Disney Planes movie that’s coming out.

. . . . .

My kids love the zoo.  In fact, I do too. Which is funny, because I’ve never been in love with the zoo (translation: it’s hot, huge, smelly, and lots of crowds to muscle through.)  But our zoo is on the smaller side, it’s up in the mountains a bit, and there are lots of trees and shade.  So, I just bought another year pass to our zoo.

While there last week, my kids saw some stuffed snakes for sale in the gift shop………..and you know me, if it looks easy enough to make, there’s no way on this green earth that I’m going to pay money for it.  Well, unless it’s super cheap.  But you know gift shops…….they’re NEVER cheap.  (Like the bottle of sunscreen that I bought because I forgot ours, cost me $15.00!!!!)

Yeah, they’re not exactly the same as the gift-shop snakes, but a 2, 5, and 6 year old can barely tell the difference.  Lucky me!  And lucky bank account!

IMG_5873

And lucky us…….the elephants have finally arrived!! :)

kids at zoo

My kids’ favorite part of the zoo, is, of course, the animals.  But kettle popcorn may have bumped the animals outta first place this last visit.  No joke, they were ravenous little vultures with this stuff.  And because we were at the zoo and their stuff-your-face-eating-technique fit right in, I didn’t stop them. :)

IMG_4688

But my favorite part of this zoo……..is the view.

view at the zoo

My least favorite part of the zoo??  That you can only exit the zoo through the gift shop.  (Who else hates that about museums, zoos, aquariums, etc??)

As we were leaving last week, we were bombarded by a huge display of stuffed snakes, all dangling by their tails at the kid-eye-level.  They begged me to buy 2 of them, so that they could ALL have a snake to use while playing their “snake game” at home.  Currently they have one stuffed snake at home and they tried their best to convince me by saying Sammy (the lonely snake at home) needed some friends to play with.  And that’s when it kinda stinks to have a mom who likes to sew and make things from scratch (sorry kiddos, you’re stuck with me!)……..because a big smile spread across my face and I said, “Oh, I can fix that!”

So, yesterday afternoon, I pulled out some fleece, some batting, and a few buttons.  Nothing fancy……and a super quick stuffed toy project.  (The baby snake was a request from Connor.  He likes to play the baby snake in their “snake game”, I guess.)

stuffed snake

It’s a darn good thing the neighbor is behind on mowing their lawn….because snakes like tall grass to slither through.  Oh wait, that’s our lawn.  “Steeeeeeeeeeeve, it’s time to mow the laaaaaaaaawn!

IMG_5841

Sweet little cuddly snakes…..thanks for saving me a few dollars.  And thanks for entertaining my kiddos while they imagine their little hearts out. :)

IMG_5942

Would you like to make a snake or two?

SUPPLIES NEEDED:

• Fleece (amount needed varies with size of snake.  But a 1/4 yard of 2 different fabric choices should be plenty for a larger snake.)
  • Batting
  • Buttons for eyes
  • Red ribbon for tongue

To begin, cut a long strip of fabric that is rounded on both ends.  Also, make the head end wider and then gradually taper in as you cut to the tail end.  Use this piece of fabric and lay it on top of your other piece of fabric as a pattern piece, and cut your second piece of fabric.

IMG_5782

On the head end of the snake, pin a 3 inch piece of ribbon to the middle of the curved end.  Place it on the “right” side of the fabric.

IMG_5785

Then, place your two fabric pieces together with right sides together and pin all the way around your edges.

IMG_5787

Then sew all the way around the outer edges of the snake……….

IMG_5800

…..but leave about a 4 inch opening along one side of the snake.

IMG_5791

Turn the snake right side out and stuff with batting.

IMG_5807

Tuck the open edges in a 1/2 inch, towards the inside of the snake.  Hand stitch closed.  (Need help with hand sewing??)

IMG_5813

Then, sew some buttons on for the eyes.  (Also, I cut the tongue as a V shape and then used a lighter to melt the ends, so they wouldn’t unravel.)

IMG_5826

Now, your snake is ready to slither.

Enjoy!

-Ashley

Comments

29 Responses to “Stuffed Toy Snakes……soft and cuddly!!”
    gina says:

I am a beginner sewer and I think I can handle this one – love it!
    Pinned!

Alexandrea says:

Very cute! And what a GORGEOUS zoo — that view! It sound like you all had quite a good time. :)

kathleen babbitt says:

wow I thought you were going to raid your husbands closet for 2 ties! they make wonderful snakes but I love your idea . I never think of fleece or anything but warmth for winter! and pat on the back mom for putting this next on the priority list. !

Oh yeah, I’ve seen those tie snakes. I forgot about those…..but then I’d have to beg for another tie from my tie-snob husband! ;)

Sharon says:

Super cute! I might make a dog toy with this but stuff with scrap fabric instead of batting. Thanks!

Kim says:

I LOVE these! I may have to make one even though my kids are grown :)

Ellie says:

This just took me back (a LONG time ago) when I had a big stuffed snake collection which I eventually gave to my nephew…I think he still has them and he just turned 50! lol! BTW I HATE snakes!

Kristen Bailey says:

My kids and I LOVE Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo!! Don’t you just love the new elephant exhibit and the new lion exhibit?! GREAT idea to make the soft snakes that my boys are always begging for me to buy for them in the super-ridiculous expensive gift shop. :)

YES, we love the new animals…..especially those lurpy elephants. I don’t know what it is about elephants but I kinda wanna lay around and spray myself with water all day. Ahhhhh! :) Maybe I’ll see you by the gift shop, both of us telling our kids “no” to all the toys and stuffed animals. ;)

Jeri says:

Were the kids pushing you in the stroller? And…. if you come across a great copy cat recipe for the kettle corn… pass it on. I love that stuff too! Your darling children must take after their Aunt Jeri:) (hehehe)

Yes, they were pushing me……soooooo relaxing! :) And yeah, they totally have that Johnston gene. Oh wait, you weren’t born a Johnston. Must have just been that Idaho influence. ;)

Aubrey R says:

After spending my childhood at the Denver Zoo, we’ve taken the kids there for years. But this year we made a trip to CoSprings for the first time and wow!!! So much better! We loved the view, too, and of course feeding the giraffes, and how close the animals were. Awesome.

Laura says:

SO many good boy projects lately! My six year old has been begging to sew another project (we’ve only done 2 but he loves it) and this will be PERFECT! I absolutely can’t wait to do this with him. Oooo, it just occurred to me that maybe I should save this as something he can make his brothers for Christmas! Thank you!

Mara says:

Hi! Remember me? From Argentina? I cant explain how I feel about this post, I have to send you a picture of me when I was 6, I had one of this, and was in love with it (I cant remember its name) You sent me back to my childhood…I wanna make one for my kids. Love you!
    Mara
    (excuse my english!)

Sheri says:

Hi Ashley. Those snakes are very cute and such a great idea. I was always making things for my kids when they were young and it was so fulfilling to have them enjoy it so much. I miss those days! I was looking at a site about a hillbilly hoedown and some how got to your blog. Since I’m here and see that you’re very crafty, I thought I’d tell you about my “Quilts in the Pumpkin Patch” blog hop I’m having from Sept. 19th – 26th. I have no business interest but it’s a good way to get traffic to your blog if you’d like that. The way it works is, I’ll introduce a guest blogger on a specific day and direct them to that person’s blog where some kind of fall arts and craft project (with a bit of quilting) and tutorial will be presented. Wall hanging, table runner, fall or Halloween or Thanksgiving decoration, or anything cute. The less complicated the better. Let me know if you’re interested. Thanks. Sheri p.s. I’m new to blogging but had such an enjoyable time participating in a Christmas in July blog hop that I wanted to host my own, but then I don’t have too many contacts. I should probably take a class or something to figure out how many of you in the blogging world make such nice blogs and run businesses, etc. Seems like a lot of fun.

Mary says:

I love the snakes! Very cute! Take the road down to the Quarters for Conservation displays…this keeps the kiddos from having to go through the gift shop.

lisa says:

This is adorable! My son is just started to be interested in snakes so I bet he would love this! Bookmarking for later!

Kiersten says:

We love the zoo too. We live in San Diego so we’re a bit spoiled when it comes to going to the zoo. Luckily we don’t have to walk through the gift shop to get out. But my kids are obsessed with snakes so these might just be great Christmas presents!

Kiersten says:

Oh, and we have a 2 headed snake at our zoo. Maybe I should make a stuffed one like that! They would love it!

Diptee says:

Thanks, you inspired me to make this one. You can check out my snake here – http://dipteeraut.blogspot.in/2013/08/the-snake.html

mélanie says:

I love your snake , I made it for my little girl and 2 boys of my family http://sacdefils.canalblog.com/archives/2013/08/24/27888455.html

Thanks of France for your beautiful blog !

Libby says:

This is such an awesome project and totally takes me back to the beanie toys of the 80′s. My kids are going to love them!

Mohan says:

Thanks, you made stuff toys making job convenient. I admire your work and believe that I too will try some day to surprise my little brother with the home-made stuff toys gift.

Laura Pol says:

Hi Ashley! I made one and gave you the full credit for your tutorial! I actually referenced them over here to make one!

Here is mine if you would like to see it (I accidentally put too much stuffing in mine so he doesn’t really curve much):

becky says:

Thanks for sharing your fantastic tutorial! you have been featured here: http://www.plushiepatterns.com/stuffed-toy-snake-plushsoft-cuddly/

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] know you have leftover fleece scraps from something.  Turn those scraps into a cute and cuddly Stuffed Snake for the little serpent lover that you […]