30 Minute Stretchy Tube Skirt….(with enclosed elastic waistband)

Have you noticed my newest sponsor CraftersCrate?  Oh my word, I’m in LOVE!  They send out craft boxes once a month (with 4 to 5 projects inside) that are geared towards young girls (ages 5-12) to do with a grown up.  The hassle of planning and purchasing supplies is taken care of.  Perfect!  Each monthly crate includes supplies, instructions, and parent involvement tips.  And for $19.99 a month, I’m sold!

crafterscrate

. . . . .

I took Elli and Connor school clothes shopping last week, to get a few new things for their new school year.  While walking through the little girl department, Elli saw these little knit Tube Skirts and said she wanted one in every color.  I picked one up and almost threw it in the cart, but……. I. Just. Couldn’t.  Yeah, they weren’t that expensive but I knew I had some cute knit fabric at home, check.  And I knew I had wide elastic at home, check.  I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase something as simple as that skirt, when I knew I had the stuff for it and could make it in like 2 seconds at home.

Okay,  not 2 seconds……but like, 30 minutes.

IMG_6557

And she said she wanted one in every color, while at the store…..so I couldn’t stop at just making one skirt.

IMG_6743

The elastic waistband is enclosed in the same knit fabric and is attached to a slightly gathered skirt section, to give a little more space for the hips/bum area.

But while the skirt is on, it appears straight and not gathered in the slightest.  (I Elli her tuck in her shirt, to show you…)

IMG_6638

And wouldn’t you know, these Tube Skirts are stretchy and comfy and really great for school……..or play.  (She’ll just have to wear some knit shorts under them because this girl still forgets to keep those knees together while sitting.  Or swinging.  Or hanging from the monkey bars.  So, the knit shorts do the trick. :) )

knit tube skirt

But keep in mind, these would be great for girls of all ages, adults included.  Instructions below will help with that. :)

And truly, you can mix and match these little knit skirts with anything and have some fun with mixing prints and colors.  (Do you remember back in the day, when everything had to match?  The pink stripe in your shirt had to match the exact pink of your socks?  Or your headband?  If not, you weren’t matching…remember?!  And mixing stripes with polka dots [or gasp, plaid!!] was such a no-no?  Ha!  I’m so glad that’s out. :) )

tube skirt outfits-001

(**By the way, that Puffy Ribbon Flower shirt above, is one I made a couple weeks ago and a few asked about how the ribbon would wash.  I suggested hang drying if you were concerned.  However, I have washed and dried that shirt twice now……and yeah, it’s wrinkled up the petals a teeny bit, but it still looks puffy and super cute!  Just an FYI.)

I have to admit, I was a little surprised Elli was even drawn to these skirts at the store, because they’re not frilly like she usually requests.  Hmmmm, maybe she feels a little more grown up in them??  I’m not really sure, but I know she won’t be giving up ruffly skirts for a long while.  She still loves them.  Whatever works little Miss…….if you want to add a few straight Tube Skirts to your wardrobe, no prob, these are simple to make. :)

I can hardly believe it, but next week, this little chickie is…

IMG_6662

Do you have 30 minutes to make your own Tube Skirt??

Let’s whip up a few tube Skirts.  But keep in mind, you will need KNIT fabric for this project.  Knit is stretchy and will allow your subject to slip in and out of the skirt, without any problems.  And will offer comfort while it’s being worn.  A woven cotton would never slip over hips and would be impossible to wear and sit in, following these instructions.

Okay, first things first……cutting.

First, measure your subject’s (or your own) waist.  Then cut a 2 inch wide piece of elastic the same length as the waist measurement.  Then, cut a piece of fabric for the waist band that is the same length as the waist measurement but is 5.25 inches tall.  And lastly multiply the waist measurement by 1.33 and that will give you the width measurement you need.  (If it’s a crazy fraction, just round up.)  Then, figure out the desired length of your skirt (above the knee, at the knee, below the knee, etc.) and then add 1.5 inches to that length.  This number will be the height of this main fabric piece.

IMG_6492

For example, Elli’s waist is 21 inches and I wanted the skirt to be 13 inches long.  So I cut a piece of elastic that was 21 inches long and the waistband fabric piece 21 x 5.25 inches.  Then, I multiplied 21 by 1.33 and that gave me 27.93…..so I rounded up to 28.  So, I cut my main piece of fabric 28 inches wide by 14.5 (13 + 1.5) inches tall.  That’s it.

Then, fold the main fabric piece in half (width wise), and sew the two ends together, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Repeat with the waistband piece of fabric.

IMG_6499

Grab the waistband fabric and open up the seam and lay it flat.

IMG_6500

Then fold the fabric in half, down onto itself, placing the wrong sides of the fabric together.

IMG_6502

Keep folding and manipulating the fabric until the entire circle of fabric is folded in half onto itself.

IMG_6503

Then, place the two ends of your elastic together, overlap by an inch, then sew the two ends down with a zig-zag stitch.

IMG_6454

Then, open up your circle of fabric slightly and place your circle of elastic down inside of the fold.  Line up the raw edges of fabric so that they’re even and pin in place, all the way around.

IMG_6506

Then, sew around the top edge of the raw edges, sewing the two layers together.  Use a zig-zag stitch and a 3/8 seam allowance.

IMG_6513

Then, divide the top edge into eighths and place pins there to mark it.  (To get your eighths, fold in half, place pins at both sides, fold in half the other way, place pins……and continue on until it’s divided evenly.

IMG_6516

Divide the top edge of the skirt the same way and add pins to mark the 8 sections as well.

IMG_6518

Now, match up the 8 pins of the waist band with the 8 pins on the skirt, lining up the raw edges of both.

IMG_6526

Then, sew together from one pin to the next, pulling the waistband fabric slightly so that it’s the same length as the skirt fabric and sew.  Once you let go, it will spring back.  Continue all the way around the skirt, using a zig-zag stitch and a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  (If you need another visual of this process, check out this elastic waistband skirt.  Same idea…..except the elastic is exposed.  The the pulling of the elastic while you’re sewing is the same.)  Trim away any excess fabric.

IMG_6532

Then fold up the bottom of your skirt 1 inch and pin in place.

IMG_6533

Then sew a hem along the bottom of the skirt, 3/4 inches from the bottom, using a double needle.  Need help using a double needle??  (You can also use a zig-zag stitch…….but using a straight stitch won’t work because then the hem of the skirt won’t stretch when it’s being worn.)

IMG_6542

Now, don’t forget the last important step.  Ironing.

Most likely, you have some puckers and a little bit of pulling that happened while sewing with your knit.  Don’t worry, it happens to me too.  But if you iron/steam your seams, you will see a huge difference.  But be sure not to press and then pull the iron across the fabric…….just press, lift and then move to a new spot and press again.  The steam will help the fabric kind of shrink up again, so don’t forget that either.

And just so you can see, here’s the top of the skirt before ironing…

IMG_6544

…and here it is after ironing.  It’s nice and flat and a little more professional looking.  Press the bottom hem too.

IMG_6547

Aaaaaand, that’s it!

Now, surely you’ll need to make a few more in different colors.  Have fun!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

43 Responses to “30 Minute Stretchy Tube Skirt….(with enclosed elastic waistband)”
    Allison says:

Hmm, I’ve never tried adding elastic this way before. I’m intrigued. I’ll have to try this soon.

Gloria Cabral says:

I love this skirt, so easy! I will be trying it it soon! And I feel so lucky that my daughter and your daughter are the same age and built, so I rarely have to alter measurements from your girls clothing tutorial!

colette says:

my mom always said that to me when she took me shopping, i now say it to my daughter. The only difference is you actually follow through. super cute skirt!

Haha……I remember my mom saying the same thing. And yeah, most of the time it never happened. I don’t always follow through either…….ack! :)

Amber says:

I made your circle skirt last week for my daughters baptism. I think that she would love this one. I kind of want one too!

Shannon says:

Where do you find the adorable fabrics?

I bought the polka dot at fabric.com and the stripe……hmmm, I’ve had it for years. I can’t remember. But sometimes I find cute knits at Joann’s. Have you heard of chezami.com?? They have really cute knits too. Hope that helps! -Ashley

Kristina Noall says:

Yes, pretty please share where I can get knits for a good price! I’ve been wanting to make a skirt like this for a few weeks, since I went to a maxi skirt party and they were way expensive. :/ Again, you worked your magic and posted just the right tutorial, at just the right time!

Oh good, glad I could help! :) And I bought the polka dot at fabric.com and the stripe……I can’t remember. But sometimes I find cute knits at Joann’s. Have you heard of chezami.com?? They have really cute knits too. Hope that helps! -Ashley

Cristina says:

oh that’s very nice and simple, thanks for sharing!

Amanda Angert says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I took my girls shopping last week and saw these same skirts and said the EXACT SAME THING — I could make those. Thanks for posting instructions to make this easier for me! Can’t wait to try!

Des Dana says:

I am SO glad you posted this! I was at Old Navy and my daughter also fell in love with that skirt, but like you, it kills me to buy it if I could possibly make it! You’re wonderful sharing the measurements and that awesome trick with the waist band! Thank you. And while I am pregnant all I wear are skirts and since I live in the desert they have to be shorter skirts with stretchy waist, I am so excited! Did I already say thank you?!

Haha……yep, you said thank you……..but you’re so welcome! It makes me laugh that I wasn’t the only one passing up those simple skirts. Ha!

April says:

How would the measurements for this skirt change to make it maternity? I love the idea of the knit fabric being stretchy and I think I could make up a few of these in work appropriate fabrics.

Thanks for your help!

I guess I’d just measure under the belly where an elastic band would sit. And then follow the instructions from there. If you like wearing things mid bellow, that wouldn’t work though. You’d need an extra insert of fabric that rounds out for your belly. But if you don’t mind things under your belly, this would work great. Good luck! :)

Marnie says:

So cute!! Great tutorial.. I love it that you have already figured out the formula for the measurements. That’s the part I hate. By the time I’ve done the trial and error bit a couple of times I’m way done with the whole project. Thank you! (By the way..Adorable little model you’ve got there)

Yeah, that’s sometimes the trckiest part. So, you’re very welcome! :) And thanks…….I think she’s the sweetest little 6 year old model around. :)

Britney L. says:

Ok. I love the fabric, but when I go to Joann’s there is never cute patterned knits. Where did you get this fabric?? And general, could you pretty please share on your posts where you picked up the fabric? You always have the cutest stuff!

Love the tutorial Ashley. You are my sewing hero.

Great idea, I need to remember to do this. I do remember about 7% of the time…..but yeah, that’s not enough. Haha! :) I bought the polks dot fabric at fabric.com and the striped fabric I’ve had for years and can’t remember. Sorry! But fabric.com has plenty of knit fabrics and chezami.com also has really cute prints. Give those places a try. Good luck! :)

Love those skirts! And wow…you can make them in 30 minutes?! i bet she does feel so grown up and special to have such a wonderful Mom! Love the crafterscrate too! My girls are teens, but when my 2 year old baby girl gets older, we are ordering those…oh yeah! :)

Michelle says:

Please share where you buy fabrics! I can never find anything that cute in store.

Becky says:

Love!! I’ve been looking for this exact type of tutorial, thank you! Now, I was wondering, I’ve seen this type of skirt with a ruffle attached at the seam. Is there a specific way to do this without the ruffle sitcking straight out from the hips? Any help would be great, thanks!

I have been thinking of making this skirt with the hip ruffle. Maybe I will now. But I’m thinking instead of gathering, I’ll just used a curved circle strip and sew it in and let it ruffle itself. You know, like a circle skirt. Anyway, I’ll have to add that to my list! :)

-Ashley

• 15.1.1
        Becky says:

Oh that’s a great idea! I never would have thought of that on my own, I get stumped, overwhelmed, then frustrated and decide to stop before I go nuts ;)

I’ll keep an eye out for updates to this tutorial, thank you!

Megan says:

We totally had the same idea! I bought one tube skirt at Old Navy the other day and realized it was too easy to not make one! I made two more today for my girls and just used the one I bought as the pattern. Good idea to add elastic on the inside though.

lisa says:

have you ever added the shorts to the skirt and sewn them into the waistband? I think that would cut down on the bulk but I have never tried it.

Victoria says:

Love these!! I am definitely making some for my daughter. I also shared this on my blog: http://www.vixenmade.com/2013/08/diy-back-to-school-fashion.html

webpage says:

Needed to write you that very small note to be able to say thanks a lot as before for
    the pretty knowledge you’ve contributed on this website.

It is so generous of you to supply without restraint
    what exactly many of us might have offered as an ebook
    to generate some profit for their own end, certainly given that you could possibly have tried it if you wanted.
    These things additionally served to be the great way to be sure that
    someone else have the identical dream much like my
    own to understand great deal more with reference to this matter.
    I’m sure there are several more fun opportunities in the future for people who discover your website.

Deanna says:

Is there a reason this couldn’t be done with a repurposed tshirt? The hem is already finished and the fabric is free. I think it is worth a try.

Toni says:

Ashley,
    I don’t know if you read comments on old posts (but it’s new to me, I love your blog and awesome tutorials, thanks!) but I have a question, when you attached the waist to the skirt, you sew through the elastic and the knit waist and the knit skirt right? It’s not like you are just sewing the two knits together with the elastic kind of floating in the waistband? Just want to clarify before trying…
    I’m new to sewing and I love your blog! You rock!

Red says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I just ran up one of these on my server for my daughter and we both love it. She is so so skinny, but super tall and anything that fits round her is indecently short. Thnk there will be plenty more of these to come, they are so quick to make and just perfect for school.

Dalia says:

Hi Ashley,

I tried to sew the skirt for my little girl. She is 5 years old and has the same waist measurements as your little princess.
    Now, I am little confused about the waist measurements. When I multiplicate the waistmeasurements with 5,25 I have a total waist of 105… it’s correct? I sounds to much.
    I am from Germany and I have to convert the measurements in centimeter and that would be around about 2 meters. Is that correct?!
    Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings from Germany