Two-Tone Fabric Totes (2 variations)

The ladies at our church are having a little craft day next month, to make a variety of crafts and sewing projects that can be kept or given away as gifts.  (The whole idea of it is to kick start the holiday season……and get a few projects made way ahead of time.  Okay, but even more than that, it’s just fun to get together and make stuff.  You don’t have to ask me twice! :) )  The gathering is called Super Saturday.  Have you heard of it? ;)

Well, I was asked to make some sort of sewing project, and you know………I thought and thought and thought about what to make.  Something to sew for kids?  Baby gifts? Something for yourself?  Home decor?  Maybe a neighbor gift?  Hmmmm…….

I finally decided to keep the sewing lines straight and keep the concept pretty simple.

And make something that people could keep……or stuff with something great and gift it away.

The Tote.

Nice and basic.

IMG_2705

**Finished tote measure 17 inches wide and 15 inches tall.

And yeah, we all have old totes kicking around, but who doesn’t need another one?

IMG_2610

Especially one with a bright pink flower and some sparkle? Ha. :)

IMG_2721

I kind of love it.

two tone fabric tote

You could make this bag in so many colors and so many variations…….but my Super Saturday friends only get these two choices.  (Sorry ’bout that!)

IMG_2716

IMG_2726

The inside is fully lined…

IMG_2760

And the bottom is squared off to help it stand up……….but also gives the bag more room.  Perfect.

IMG_2766

Great tote to keep.

Great tote to give away.

Great tote for Super Saturday. :)

IMG_2680

**If you have no clue about this Super Saturday thing………just grab some friends, some fabric, and have a sewing night with friends.  Same idea.

Wanna make one too?

Supplies:

• 1/2 yard of outer base fabric (something thick, like upholstery fabric or duck cloth)
  • 1 yard of upper and lining fabric (something thick, like upholstery fabric or duck cloth)
  • 1 – 2 yards of ribbon for ribbon and/or bow
  • scrap fabric for flower/other embellishments

–Finished tote measure 17 inches wide and 15 inches tall.

–Depending on the fabric that you use, the tote may or may not stand up on its own.  If your fabric is thick but kind of flimsy (doesn’t stand up alone), then consider adding interfacing to all fabric pieces.)

–All supplies and fabrics were purchased at Hobby Lobby for this project.

To get started, cut your pieces of fabric, like shown below.

IMG_2333

Grab one of your Upper Fabric pieces and place it together with one of the Lower Fabric pieces, with right sides together.  Line up the upper edges and sew them together, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance (shown on left).  Then, open it up and iron flat (shown on right).  Repeat with the other Upper and Lower fabric pieces.

sewing fabric tote 1

Now, line up your ribbon along the top of the Lower fabric section and pin in place.  Then sew along the top and bottom edge of your ribbon piece.

sewing fabric tote 2

Repeat with the other piece of ribbon and fabric.

IMG_2371

Now, place these two pieces together (with right sides together) and e sure you are matching the upper edges together.  Then, peek at the sides and carefully match up the ribbon pieces, so that they line up perfectly after the sides are sewn and then turned right side out.

sewing fabric tote 3

Then, sew along both sides and the bottom, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

IMG_2392

Next, grab one of the bottom corners and pull the front fabric away from the back fabric and fold it flat.  Make the tip nice and pointy while lining up the seam that’s now running along the front, even with the seam that’s running along the back.  Just feel it with your fingers and line both of those seams up.  (If you need to see more pictures, check out my Tote with Round Opening tutorial.)

sewing fabric tote 4

Iron it flat to help keep it in place for the next step.

Then, measure in 2 inches from the pointy corner (not the excess fabric but the corner inside of the seam) and mark with a pin.  Sew a straight line perpendicular with the other seam, right at that 2 inch mark.  (Drawing a line straight across first, is helpful if you’re nervous about eyeballing it.

sewing fabric tote 5

Repeat with the other corner.

IMG_2415

Turn the the fabric right side out and iron the side seams flat.

IMG_2426

Then, iron each corner , just a bit, so that the bottom will stay boxed out.

sewing fabric tote 6

Wedge the bottom of the bag onto the ironing board, and do your best to flatten out the seam, without creating other creases on the bag.

IMG_2439

Repeat with the lining fabric, making sure that the 18 inch dimension goes from side to side and the 18.5 inch dimension goes from top to bottom.

IMG_2452

Grab two of the Handle pieces and place them together with right sides together, and sew along each side, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Do the same with the other 2 Handle pieces.

IMG_2460

Be sure to leave both ends open.

sewing fabric tote 7

Turn each handle right side out, and press flat.  (Need help Turning a Tube Right Side Out?)

IMG_2467

Then, grab one Handle piece and place each end 4 inches from each side seam and let the top ends overlap the top of the tote by a 1/2 inch.  Pin both ends in place.

IMG_2476

Turn the tote over and do the same thing with the other Handle.

IMG_2484

Sew each Handle end in place, using a 7/8 inch seam allowance.

IMG_2487

Now, slide the outer bag fabric (right side out) inside of the lining fabric (inside out)…

IMG_2495

Match up the top seams and the side seams and pin in place.

IMG_2497

Sew all the way around the stop edges, using a 1 inch seam allowance.  However, leave an opening between the handles on one side.

IMG_2501

Then, pull the outer bag fabric out, through the opening that you left.

IMG_2508

Continue pulling, until the entire bag is pulled right side out.

IMG_2512

Then, fit the lining fabric inside of the outer tote fabric.

IMG_2518

Iron the top edge of the bag flat, tucking the edges of the opening towards the inside, 1 inch.

IMG_2525

Sew along the upper edge of the tote, where the outer fabric meets the lining fabric…….nice and close to the upper edge.  (About an 1/8 of an inch.)

IMG_2531

For extra handle strength, sew a rectangle with an X through it, to really secure each handle end in place.  Be sure you are sewing through the handle end that’s tucked inside the innards of the tote.

IMG_2544

Now, for some added embellishment.

You can add any ol’ flower type you’d like, but I added a Knit Flower to my tote. (If you’d like a different flower type, try the Shirred Flower, or the Full and Textured Flower, or the Crushed Fabric Flower.)  Then, I carefully stitched through the center of the flower to secure it to the bag.  Sew around in a little circle, but not any wider than your embellishment that you’ll be adding to the center of the flower.

sewing fabric tote 8

Then, I added a little jewel to the center of the flower, with hot glue.

IMG_2557

Now, onto the bow embellished tote.

Cut a piece of ribbon that’s about 12 – 13 inches long and fold both ends towards each other, creating a bow shape.  Overlap the ends but not too much, or they’ll show after you add the center section of the bow.  Test your ribbon width by placing it across the middle of the bow, to be sure the ends will be hidden.  Then sew a seam straight down the center of the ribbon, securing the ends in place.

IMG_2564

Then wrap some ribbon around the center, covering the center seam of the bow.  Overlap the ends towards the back, pin in place, and set it aside for a second.

IMG_2571

Then, cut two more pieces of ribbon, and arrange them on the front of the bag to the right, directly beneath the handle end on the right.  Angle them out a bit, just like the ends of a tied bow would do.  And cut the ends off at an angle, if desired. Sew in place.

IMG_2572

Then, place the bow on top of the bow ends, with the loose ends of the bow center section, towards the back.  Stitch around the center of the bow.

IMG_2574

IMG_2580

Then, to keep each of the ribbon ends from fraying, apply heat to melt them and seal them.

IMG_2591

And that’s it.  Fabric Totes…….in 2 different styles.

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Accessory, Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

114 Responses to “Two-Tone Fabric Totes (2 variations)”
    Stephanie says:

Does this end up pretty substantial, or would it be beneficial to line it with something? I’m thinking about making it for a teacher bag to hold papers and pretty heavy books.

It really depends on the type of fabric you use. You can find upholstery fabric or duck cloth that’s sturdy but still flimsy and may need some lining or interfacing to help stiffen it up. However, the bag itself is still pretty strong, even if it doesn’t stand up straight. But if you know she’s carrying books around in it, I would go ahead and line it with something. Good luck! :)

Michele N says:

Very cute! Love the simple but awesomeness of it. Need to have some super Saturdays with some of my best friends to get started on Christmas!

It really is so fun to do projects together. Yeah, it may take a little longer…….but totally worth it. :)

Michele N says:

Also, what is the finished size of this bag? I’ve been thinking about making a tote for my soon to be 13 yo for school this year, because I hate spending a lot on the ones at the store that don’t even make it through a school year.

Rhonda says:

Lovely fabric pairings- Think I’ll make these up as Christmas gifts for my coworkers at Hobby Lobby! Thanks :-)

Oh, thanks Rhonda! How lucky are you to be around all this great fabric and cool supplies every day. Your co-workers will love this……good luck! :)

This is such a great tutorial. I love your clean construction. This is great for a group project. I have pinned this to my DIY grocery bag board:

Ca you see yourself shopping with a few of these? You’ll be carrying the cutest grocery totes in the whole store. :) Good luck!

wpbmommy1 says:

I fell in love with these two bags within seconds of opening my email!! The worst thing I can possibly say is that because they are so cute I will be too selfish to give them away! They are a perfect size. Darn you 8 hour a day job!! Now I have to wait to get started!! Thank you so much for sharing your very detailed tutorial!

Oh, that’s so good to hear! And haha…….go on, keep them for yourself! But I guarantee, then you’ll start thinking of others to gift them to. ;) Hurry and get that work day done, you have some sewing to do! -Ashley

Lisa says:

There is a sister in my ward that was baptized last month and has been using a plastic bag for her scriptures. When I saw her on Sunday I decided that I was going to make her a scripture bag this week if I did nothing else! I looked all over pinterest last night to find a pattern to work with and I wasn’t too excited about any of them. Then I sit down this morning and what pops up? Your tote! This is exactly what I was looking for! I love your style and your tutorials are always so easy for me to follow. THANK YOU for making my day!

Oh my, this made me so happy to read. If you would have been the only person to see this tutorial, it would have made the time it took to put the instructions together completely worth it. This will surely put a smile right on this sister’s face. Oh, what a kind and thoughtful heart you have. Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you! :)

-Ashley

Bre says:

This is just what I needed to make church bags for my kids. I was just about to look for a tutorial for them when this popped up on my facebook wall. Thank you!

Yeah, your friend emailed me and told me you were looking for a similar tutorial. Ha…..just kidding. What a great coincidence though! :) I love that! Good luck… -Ashley

Alexandrea says:

So cute! I love the fabrics you choose and they look so well sewn! Also, I totally thought that was a store bought flower embellishment until you had directions. Thanks for sharing! I’ve definitely got this pinned for when I start my Christmas projects.

Marie B says:

Your instructions are the best I have ever seen! I think I could actually do this and I LOVE Tote Bags!

Thank you! By the way, your are adorable!

You totally CAN do this! All it takes is a project that you really want to make, and you’ll surprise yourself. It happens to me all the time. Go for it!

Stacey O. says:

LOVE THIS! I suggested these bags to our Super Saturday gals, and now I’ve been asked if I’d like to teach the class. Yikes! (I’m a quilter at heart and have never tried my hand at anything like this!) Can you give me an idea (estimate) of what the cost was per bag and how long it took to make them? I’m going to try my hand at it this weekend…hoping they turn out as cute as yours! :) Thanks!!!!

Ha……you should have zipped those lips! ;) But truly, if you can quilt, you could make these in a snap. I’m not kidding! Quilting takes time and straight lines and patience. This will be lots faster. Give it a try……you’ll see! :)

And the price depends on the fabric you choose but anywhere from $7-$10, I’d say. I bought this fabric at Hobby Lobby and it was on sale for 30% off. If it goes off sale before I have to buy more of it for the people who sign up, they always have those 40% coupons (for full priced items) that I can use any time.

Oh, and if everyone has a sewing machine to use and you pre-cut the fabric for them, I’m hoping it will take about an hour or an hour and a half at the most to make.

Good luck! And hop back on here and let me know how they turn out. I’m already convinced you’re going to surprise yourself! :)

-Ashley

Suzanne says:

So cute and a beautiful, easily followed tutorial! Thank you!

K.D. says:

I just purchased my fabric necessary to make one of these as a thank you gift for our nanny who spent the summer with us. She is off to start her “real” job, so I thought she might like a new bag to tote her work items in. I’m adding a couple of pockets to the inside in the same fabric as the exterior to hold her cell and whatever else. I can’t wait to get started tonight! Thanks for a great tutorial!

Oh, that’s perfect! I bet she’ll love it! Oh, and where can I find me one of those “nanny’s”?? Haha!

• 13.1.1
        K.D. says:

Same place I found mine – Care.com! It was the BEST option for the summer, and we were VERY picky with who we chose to meet. No more summer daycare for us – nannies are definitely the way to go.

You have such awesome posts! I just love this tote idea, and thanks so much for taking the time to share the instructions with us! You are so talented! :)

You’re so welcome! Having this whole blog thing as my crafting outlet, makes each project that much more fun!

Now jump on it…..and whip up a tote or two! ;)

-Ashley

Gaba says:

I love your blog!!
    Thanks for these tote!
    Kisses from Argentina!
    ★´¨)
    ¸.★´¸.★*´¨) ¸.★*¨)
    (¸.★´ (¸.★` ¤ Gaba ♥

Brittany says:

very fun! I don’t know when our ward will do another super Saturday. I usually end up being in charge of the vinyl lettering craft/s. I think the ladies will love them! great job

Jaime says:

These are so great! Do you have any tips for how you execute a super saturday craft like this. We had SS a few weeks ago and the offerings were a little sad. I wouldn’t mind doing a class but I worry about logistics. What if the fabric is no longer available? Do you cut everything in advance? How do you get extra sewing machines? I did a hair bow class once. My cousin had done one and asked the sisters to bring ribbon (specifically 3 yds 1.5″ groisgrain) and it was a disaster. Most people brought the wrong material. so when I did mine I offered making 3 different bow styles and they would all be white groisgrain. So you could learn the technique and make some on your own if you desired. It went ok. Most of the women were great. But there was one who was vocally complaining all the bows were white. a few women brought addition ribbon to make themselves extra and gave me a buck or two for the extra supplies which I was ok with. If you have any tips that would be great. I always like to compare notes to learn how to do it better. Thanks. I think you are awesome!

Yeah, it’s no fun when they turn out wonky. So yeah, comparing notes is always helpful.

I’m not running the Super Saturday in any way, I was just asked to come up with a project to teach. But, in order to make the different projects for ours, they must sign up between now and about 2 weeks before the Super Saturday happens. And they have to pay the fee for the project(s) they want to make, 2 weeks before as well. Then, each of the project teachers have about two weeks to buy supplies and organize kits with everything each person needs to create the project. (Yeah, I have a lot of cutting to do!) And as far as price is concerned, I bought my fabric at Hobby Lobby while it was on sale for 30% off. If it goes off sale, I can always print off their coupon (that’s always available) for 40% off and still get it for about the same price. That way, if I need to do a little refunding I can but not have to ask for more money from each person. But each project may be different, depending on where you buy your supplies and if the prices will change at that store.

I have heard having people pay the day they make it, is a mess. And the teacher ends up not getting all her money back. Boo. So, paying up front is definitely the way to go. And if they miss the deadline, then they don’t make one.

As far as just using white ribbon to learn the hairbow styles, I think that was a great idea. It was just practice. (But hey, white goes with everything and it’s the color of bow that we have the most of!) However, if you choose colors for a project, I figure you just have to pick popular colors and if they like their choices, they’ll sign up. If not, they’ll skip that class. Because yeah, it was impossible to pick everyone’s favorite color or print for these totes……but hopefully enough will like them. But if they really don’t, at least they can attend the class and learn how to make it, and then make another one at home with their own fabric choice.

Oh, and as far as sewing machines go, we just have to gather enough from ladies that are attending. We should have enough. And there are different time blocks that they can take the class, so there’s some rotating and sharing going on.

Anyway, whew, I was long winded. But hopefully that helps.

And good luck for next time! :)

Randi says:

I’ve been pinning tote patterns, but just haven’t made any. I think I was waiting for this perfect , easy to make bag! And your tutorial is so easy to understand! Thank you!

Lovaine says:

Wow! I can’t wait to try these. I just bought some amazing fabric in Barcelona whilst on holiday (vacation) and it is perfect for these. Thank you sooooo much.

Rebecca says:

Love(!) the idea of a sewing Saturday — what fun! These totes are so, so cute, too. If you have newbie seamstresses, consider having them use the Esther’s tote method for a more professional looking bag. I think the fabric requirements are nearly identical, but they don’t require any topstitching. http://oohprettycolors.blogspot.com/2008/01/esthers-tote-tutorial.html I especially appreciated the jersey flower tutorial. That’sa great embellishment!

Emily says:

I have to admit the First thing I thought scrolling through was “look how long your hair is” ! Sorry, it took me a second to realize it was you in the picture (you look lovely) these totes are great. I made a few from tour last post. I might try to adapt these with some inside pockets to become my new purse.

kia says:

Cute bags, I will make a few this weekend.

Kristina Noall says:

I’m surprised they didn’t put you in charge of Super Saturday! (I miss those. I guess my ward opted not to have them anymore? Boo.) Just think, now you don’t have to teach–just tell everyone to look at this tutorial beforehand! ;)

Oh gosh, being in charge of everything would have been a lot of work. Whew, I escaped that! ;)

And haha, so true!! But really, the reason I posted it early, was so that I can say, “Oh shoot, you didn’t finsh? No worries, it’s all written out online.” Haha, it will probably save my voice a bit!

Andrea says:

I love a new bag! I would love to show you how mine turned out. I left the space between the handles open and made it into a pocket for my phone. Your instructions are awesome! I can’t wait to make more :)

Jaime says:

perfect that PYP has cheveron fabric for a steal for these!

Megan says:

I know you mentioned the bags dimensions are 17×15″. What is the depth measurement at the bottom of the bag? Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I have never made a tote before but my nephew needs one for school and my sister can’t seem to find anything. So I am going to try to make him one. Your tutorial is the best I have come across.

Lovaine says:

Hi Ashley, now I am completely obsessed with these totes. I have made two this size, two medium and am in the process of making 2 tiny ones for 2, 1yr olds! I have put my embellishments on before attaching the lining and this makes them totally reversible or you could put them on at the end and just match one on the lining to cover the sewing. Thank you so much, love love love them!

Kelly O. says:

hi Ashley,
    these are fantastic!
    Can you tell me about Super Saturday?
    Are there several projects available and people sign up for whatever ones they want? How many projects are offered?
    Do you have a morning session and an afternoon session?
    How many projects can ladies go home with?
    thanks
    kelly

Rainey says:

When making a bag like this do you still prewash your fabric? I have duck cloth.

Tracey says:

What a great bag. I think it is a great basic bag and you can add different trim, ruffles, pockets, embellishments, etc.

I’m going to try to make one with a tied bow in the front and a hidden pocket. I’ve got my fingers crossed. it took me a while to visualize how to do a hidden pocket but I think I can!

Thanks for posting. Its fabulous. Coincidentally, I was at Hobby lobby and bought the same pink and gray fabric!

Erin says:

Love this! Already bought my fabric! I was wondering though if you have any easy suggestions on making it a single over the shoulder strap? Just with 2 small kids it’s nice to not worry about it falling off my shoulder while chasing them around :D
    Either way I can’t wait to make it!

Suzanne says:

Love this roomy pattern. I know if takes a lot of time and effort to publish a tutorial like this, so thank you for freely sharing it with us all! I made my own version and posted about it today…

Jess says:

Oh god! So cute! I want one!

Heather Hoy says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I made one and it tunred out AWESOME!!!!! Everywhere I go, people LOVE it! And so many ladies are asking for one now. :0)

Shawnie says:

My 14 year old daughter has been wanting to make a bag, but most that I saw seemed too complicated. We decided to give this bag a try. She was able to do it all herself, with only a couple questions about boxing the corners. Thank you for the fantastic tutorial.

Charlotte says:

I made two for some 6 year old nieces. I added a double layer of tulle under the ribbon along the seam so they have tutu totes and they are darling. I can’t wait to give them for Christmas!

Terrie says:

I love these! The bow/flower options are great. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Jaimee says:

Finished both my bags and I LOVE them! Planning to make more for gifts :)

prita says:

your tutorial is crystal clear…good for a beginner like me..thanks Ashley

Brittnie says:

Just finished this at 1 am , I couldn’t quit. :) thank you for the wonderful tutorial!

SHARON SPIEGLE says:

Great tutorial, you have the knack for doing instructions that are easy to understand.

Keep up the great job!

Lindsay says:

Great instructions! The colors of the bags are what really caught my eye. I LOVE chevron. I would like to try to make these and was wondering how long it took you for each. I’m am an OK sewer but figure it will likely take me a bit longer. I like to try to plan my projects accordingly since I have two young daughters. Thanks again for the wonderful tutorial!! Great gift idea, I love personalized presents.

Sarah says:

The first time I made this bag, it took me most of a day, working on it off and on through out. I’ve made it 3 times now (and coached a few other mom’s through it as well) and I can make it in about 2 hours. It’s incredibly straight forward! Good luck!

Sarah says:

I love this so much!! I’ve actually made 3 bags already from this tutorial and helped 4 other mommy friends make some (some are Christmas gifts, some are just to have and one is even made with this beautiful day of the dead fabric for a Halloween candy sack!). I just love this – so easy to follow, even for a first time seamstress.

Kayla says:

Thank you for sharing this awesome tutorial! I just made a tote and it turned out adorable!

MarieFabulous says:

I made my first one!! It came out great. The directions were easy to follow even for a beginner sewer like myself. I am making at least 9 more for my best girl friends for Christmas!

Kim says:

While standing in the long Thanksgiving weekend line at Jo Ann’s today, I got chatting with the couple behind me. The wife admired my fabric shopping bag, and I told her about your blog. I also told her that your tutorials are the best on the web. We both pulled out our smart phones and looked up this tutorial right then and there! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful tutorials with the rest of us!

Laura says:

My daughter and I made this for her teacher and it turned out beautifully! We added a couple of pockets, one on the front and another inside. We also added a big fancy button on the front and a little ribbon loop to close it. So cute! Is there any way to post a picture? I’d love to see how others’ have turned out too!

Raphaela says:

Measurements for the same tote, but for children?
    Thanks
    Love your stuff!

Lacey S says:

I just finished making 4 of these totes and am so in love with the project and the final products! Thank you for the amazing tutorial on how to make it. I’m probably going to make these for everyone I ever need a gift for! :)

Amanda S says:

I loved this so much! I just made one for my niece for her first birthday. I’m making her a fishing game – with fabric fish and a dowel rod w/ string fishing pole. I”m using the tote to keep her fish and pole all together for her. I used some cute bright colored fish fabric I had! It looks awsome!! Thanks so much for the easy to understand instructions! I whipped this up in a few hours today and I can guarantee I’ll be making more of these!!

Katie says:

I found your blog through Pinterest. Your DIY bags are so cute and the tutorial is very clear. You did a great job and I can’t wait to make my own bag! Thanks for sharing!

Deborah says:

I just finished my first two-tone bag and I am so proud! You did a wonderful job with this tutorial – you made it so easy to understand and added the right amount of pictures. Thank you so much and I can’t wait to get more fabric and make another!!

Roxanne says:

I am looking for a great tote, with lots of space inside. I want to make this appealing to the Nurses I work with. Thinking about a pocket on the inside… Love this!!!!!! Thanks….

Rachel says:

I have been looking for a tutorial for a nice tote bag and came across yours, what a clear, easy to understand tutorial, so I went for it and wow I’m so so pleased with the finished product, can’t wait to make some more as gifts and also as a nice bag to put gifts in which the recipient can use again and again! Mine will be coming on holiday with me as a cute beach bag! Thanks again!

Carolyn says:

Hi,

I was wonder what the depth of the bag is. I saw another person had asked as well but didn’t see a reply.

Thanks,
    Carolyn

Carolyn says:

*wondering

• 55.1.1
        Lovaine Niblock says:

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me answering your question. I have made loads of these bags and varied the sizes. When you are sewing in 2″ from the point that is your depth, however, if you sew it in say 3″ it will make the bag wider. You don’t have to sew it in from the corners at all but it helps to give it depth and it looks better. Hope this helps you:)

nyari says:

Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial. i made one for myself over the weekend and im very pleased with the result. i used denim for the lower part and some bright african print maerial on the upper part and the handles. Your tutorial is very simple and easy to understand . thank you.

Sasha says:

Love this idea, thanks for the tutorial. I haven’t attempted a two tone tote yet but you have made the instructions so easy to follow so I will definitely give it a go. That tone of green in the chevron print is divine :)

Gene says:

Love these bags! Just made two with my daughters for Mother’s Day. Only issue I had is that the measurement for the lining is reversed. The measurements for all of the other pieces are written height x width versus the lining measurements which are written width x height. It was not a huge deal as it is on the inside but I made a note on my copy of your directions. I will definitely be making more of these as gifts!

Andrea says:

Just finished one for my mother n law for Mothers day, nice and simple to make and I LOVE it only reason I can bear to give it away is that I will be straight back to my machine to make another one for me- oh that and she is the BEST mother n law ;-)

Alicia says:

I love this bag. The tutorial is very clear and easy to understand. I am going to try and make my first tote bag with your tutorial and I am super excited.

Mya says:

I made one of these bags about a month ago and I am in love with it…..it works so great!!

Pam says:

You should do nothing but tutorials. I am 62 years old and sew just enough to be dangerous. Your explanations and pictures are the best EVER!! These totes are precious.

Cindy says:

Wow just adorable! One of the few bag patterns of Pinterest with excellent easy to follow instructions! This will be great use for some of my scrap materials. THANKS!!

Sarah says:

I just finished making this!!! THanks for the great instructions! I am a beginner and made a basic version (skipped the square bottom and liner) so I wasn’t making it too complicated. I used some teal/white chevron for the bottom and some orange/teal/white geometric print for the top. I will be making a bunch more!

Jamie says:

I just finished this bag and it was super easy to make and I love it…make a school spirit bag using black and orange..turned out really nice :)

Kristen K. says:

I bought some upholstery to make some of these, and am new to sewing. Do I need to wash the fabric before cutting and sewing or no?

Lovaine Niblock says:

Hi, hope you don’t mind me answering your question. Lots of people say to wash your fabric but I think with a bag it doesn’t really matter. I think if it’s a garment it’s important. Hope this helps you.

Lovaine Niblock says:

Hi Ashley, I have contacted you before but I realize with so many comments being made it’s easy to get passed by. I am taking this tutorial to Uganda in a couple of weeks to teach girls to make these bags. They are hoping to be able to make them and sell them on. I was wondering if you had a printable version of your instructions so I can take them with me. I am so excited to be able to teach them this, I have made loads of these bags and will be able to show them first hand but I thought leaving them instructions would be a good idea. Thank you for a great tutorial:)

Danna says:

Thanks so much for this awesome tutorial. I made this bag for my daughter yesterday. She had asked me for a bag for her birthday. She loves it. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow.

Mamie Nolan says:

Love this tutorial and the bag I made! Super easy and cute!!

Betty says:

Thank you, just learning to sew, your step by step instructions were great. I’ve just made my first bag, hurrah!!

Sheree Mullen says:

These are beautiful bags. I would suggest putting some fuseable fleece in the handles. This makes them so soft and durable. I have been making bags for craft shows and I’m leaning more and more all the time. Your fabric selections are great and your instructions are wonderful.

Nicola Wilks says:

Hi there, I love these totes!!! Your instructions are so simple to follow and I took your advice and made some to give away as gifts including the goodies inside. Love them :-)

See link below for pictures of the totes I made on my blog with a reference and link back to your site: http://wilksnk.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/my-first-tote-bag.html

Natalie says:

Thank you Ashley for this great tutorial.

I just made my first bag! So simple and easy.

Cheers,
    Natalie

Donna says:

Fantastic tutorial. I never knew how to make a boxy bottom without making a separate panel. This is quicker and easier. I’m making two Halloween totes for my daughter-in-law and myself and it’s turning out to be an afternoon project. Love it.