Big ol’ Puffy Ribbon Flower Tshirt (yeah….crazy name!)

Looking for the $100 Fandango gift card giveaway?  It would be the perfect thing to take your whole family to see the new Disney Planes movie that’s coming out.

. . . . .

I got an email from one of you readers, who wanted me to make a shirt with a pig puffy flower on it.  (Yep, I’m talking about you Rebekah….ha!)  I loved it.  And told her I’d add it to my list of projects to try.

It was cute…..and I knew it would be darling on either of my girls.

Even though my version is different from the picture she showed me, it turned out simple and cute.

And a total must-try. :)

IMG_4481

Elli has been fascinated with gardening and plants lately.  But especially flowers.  (Need someone to come water your flowers?  Elli’s your gal…)  So, because of her love for flowers of any kind, she told me this shirt was perfect for her!

ribbon flower tshirt

In case you think this flower is flat…….it’s not.  It’s full and fluffy and, well, I think it’s adorable! :)

IMG_4454

In less than 30 minutes, this little lady had a brand new shirt.  And happily headed outside to take pictures for my “computer friends”.  (Yeah, she’s been more and more curious about who you people are, whom I share her photos with.  And she calls you my “computer friends”.  It’s pretty cute!)

ribbon flower on tshirt

Now, go and grab a few spools of ribbon and set up your sewing machine.  You’ve got a little shirt to make.

IMG_4741

Which will most likely result in one happy little girl. :)

IMG_4593

Ready to make one too?

Let’s get started.

I purchased a 2.5 inch wide sheer ribbon with a satin ribbon trim on each side.  (I used about 5.5 yards of it.)  Any ribbon would probably work……but the sheer ribbon really gave the flower some dimension and helped not weigh the flower down too much.

To begin, I melted one end of my ribbon with a lighter, to keep it from fraying.

IMG_4234

Then I folded that end behind and down to an angle.

IMG_4237

Then I began accordion folding the ribbon back and forth about 6 times (or 3 folds on each side).

IMG_4241

Then, I cut off the end, melted it with a lighter and folded it down and to the back.  (This will help keep the melted end hidden.)  The view you’re seeing is the back side of the accordion folding…..because from the front, the end is tucked behind the first fold of the accordion.

IMG_4252

Then, make a pleated fold on the bottom edge of the accordion ribbon.

IMG_4265

And just to show you what that pleated fold looks like (since it’s kinda confusing in the image above), this is what I mean.  But just do that to the one edge of the accordion folded ribbon and it will help give the flower some depth but will also make it easier to put it together as a flower.

IMG_4261

Repeat with 5 different sections.  (If you need more to make a nice full flower, go ahead.  It will just depend on how wide your accordion folds are.)

IMG_4280

Then, one at a time, sew your flower sections down to the shirt.  (Be sure and separate the front of the shirt from the back as you slide it onto your sewing machine, so that you’re not sewing the two sides together.)

IMG_4287

Then, lift up the petals and make a few stitches along some of the back folds (down through the shirt), to help keep the flower up and perky…..and not flopping over.

IMG_4292

Repeat with all 5 sections, in a nice circle shape.  You’ll have to overlap the inner edges, to create a nice full flower.

IMG_4294

Then, create a smaller accordion ribbon section that is more narrow and only has about 2 folds on each side.  (Be sure and seal the ends and angle them down as you fold.)

IMG_4298

Then, sew it down to the center of the flower, spacing it between two of the larger ones that are already sewn in place.

IMG_4303

Repeat with 4 others of these smaller sections, completing this inner circular layer of the flower.  You’ll have to overlap the inner edges to make them all fit.

IMG_4306

Now, to cover the sewing in the center of the flower.

Cut several inches of ribbon (it will depend on the size flower you are making) and overlap the ends into a loop.  Be sure that both ends are heat sealed, so they won’t fray.

IMG_4311

Then, flatten the loop.

IMG_4312

And then pinch the center, creating a nice gather.

IMG_4314

Sew along the pinched center section, right down to the center of the flower.

IMG_4318

Then, fluff it up and let it hide the center sewing of the flower.

IMG_4319

Next, flower stems.

I cut 5 at first, but realized that was too many.  So, I went with 3 in the end.  Heat seal both ends of the ribbon stems.

IMG_4324

Now, sew each ribbon down to the shirt, creating stems.  My ribbon already had a line of stitching down the center, so I just followed that and sewed them down to the shirt.  But you could also sew along both edges of your ribbon pieces.  (Just be sure and separate the front of the shirt from the back as you slide it onto your sewing machine, so that you’re not sewing the two sides together.)

IMG_4329

And hooray…..that’s it.

IMG_4454

Now, go fancy up some little girl and let her wear her new fluffy flower shirt! :)

Enjoy!

-Ashley

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing

Comments

40 Responses to “Big ol’ Puffy Ribbon Flower Tshirt (yeah….crazy name!)”
    Karen says:

How will this wash? Any special instructions?

I’d wash it but then hang dry. I’ve done other projects with ribbon……and they have all washed fine but I usually hang dry them. Hope that helps! :)

trish hanson says:

I love this!! I have 3 flower loving granddaughters who will be getting one! Thank you sooo much for sharing!

Tricia R. says:

I LOVE your little girl’s outfit!!

Anita says:

This is ADOREable!! Thanks for sharing another great tut!

-Your Computer friend :)

Rebekah says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! That was so fast! THANK YOU! I love it and can’t wait to make it!!! :)

Tina says:

I’m 37…think I could get away with making MYSELF one (it would complete wig my 15yo old, me trying to make her clothes)?!?!?!? LOVE IT!!! :)

Nicole h says:

I’m glad Elli knows we are friends. This computer friend thinks she looks adorable and my twin girls think she is their friends too! Else why would mommy look at photos of someone we don’t know! Thanks for sharing all the cuteness!

Ellie says:

Elli is such a happy, pretty girl! and so is her WHOLE outfit!! Tell her one of your “friends” said she looks really cool!

Nisha says:

Ohhh Such a pretty dress on a very pretty gal :)

I didnt know you take request too… plzzz plzzz help me build a play tent for my baby :)

tricia says:

for some reason I can NEVER get you pinit button to work? it always says error on page at the bottom left hand corner in the page frame?

Really? It always works for me…….but that’s weird that it’s not for you. I wonder if it has anything to do with you being logged into pinterest? Or maybe you need the “pin it” button in your tool bar?? I really have no idea but I’ll ask around a bit to see if others are having the same issues.

Thanks Tricia!

Angela Johnson says:

Wow! Great tutorial!

I’m definitely going to try this! I Think I’ll try a multi-colored flower! :)

Kaylene Ott says:

ADORABLE!! So cute. I have a three month old granddaughter and I am going to attempt this on a little tee or a cute little denim dress I bought at The Gap for her although I am sure I will have to adjust the size. Any suggestions on down sizing this for a little one? And do you think I could hand stitch the flower and stems? I have a small sewing machine but my skills are not that great at it yet…home ec has been a FEW years.lol. BTW I love your no slip hair clips tutorial…I made BrookLynn 30 before she was born and like 20 headbands. My daughter and SIL have already requested more they love them. Miss BrookLynn was born with a head full of dark hair so they have already been put to good use!! :-)

Erin says:

Super cute!

Such a great idea – I’ve made flower things from bows before – but this is a great idea … I can see a pillow filled with them!!

Heather says:

This is way too cute. As a hairbow maker and ribbon addict, I love any ribbon project but this hits it out of the park! Hoping my seamstress skills are up to the challenge!

Denise says:

That is one cute shirt and you can tell by the smile on her face that she just loves it too!!! The perfect thing about this shirt is the variety of flowers you could use and pretty much any age can wear one. I just paid around $90.00 for 2 blouses, for my daughters, that has a large bow on the whole back of the shirt. This would be a cute one for you to try also! :D

Linnellbelle says:

So, I’m always telling people about cool things my “friend” Ashley has made. Then I have to admit that we’ve never actually met! I’ll just start referring to you as my “computer friend”! Thanks for another great tut! My little baby girl, born the same time as your baby, will LOVE this shirt!!!

Johlize says:

this is soooo cute, would it be wierd if I made one for me ;) Anyway, Im making a couple of denim slip dresses for my little girl and this flower would be the perfect touch!

Have you notice that as soon as a little girl turns 7 the clothes in the shops turn into small grown-up clothes ( not very modest I might add) not something I would want my little girl to wear! Why do we want to push them into growing up even faster???

Thanks for the great Ideas – LOVE IT

Kathy Kott says:

Hi Ashley
    My daughter-in-law sent me the link to see your “big ‘ol puffy flower. Her daughter (my grand-daughter) is a “drama” girl queen to begin with, so this flower will be perfect for her, since I make a lot of her clothes anyway. Bridget is 4 yrs. old and I can see her posing just like your girl. I can’t wait to try the flower. Thanks again for a great idea!

Danya Banya says:

Just wanted to say that I love your tutorials and your daughter is so photogenic. xx

Floral Bow says:

How cute is it…..!!! I am defiantly try it. Thanks for sharing such creative idea. Nice one…!!!

Melissa B says:

I stumbled upon your post and decided to give it a go. I went to the store and picked up some ribbon today. When I got home a few minutes ago, I went to look at the directions and realized I picked up the EXACT same ribbon from Hobby Lobby. Just thought it was funny!

jennifer says:

I think I just found my new fav DIY website. You have such fabulous things including this shirt! Thanks for all the great ideas!

yolanda says:

hola muyy bonitas todas tus manualidades!!! soy mexicana!!

Mrs C says:

Love this! Great blog btw! I’ve started 3 different blogs and can never keep it up. My hat’s off to you! <3