FRESH and SUPER SIMPLE Strawberry Pie Filling (only 3 ingredients)

Have you noticed it’s summer?  If your weather isn’t proving that to you, your grocery store should be.  I love when summer kicks into gear because the huge variety of plump summer fruit start crowding the produce section of the grocery store.  Nom-Nom.  :)

And even though strawberries seem to be available almost year round……….summer strawberries are most delicious.  And are juicier, bigger, and redder than other times of the year.  Yum.

And yeah, I seem to have a lot of favorite strawberry recipes (strawberry cheesecake, strawberry pretzel dessert, cheesecake stuffed strawberries) but MMMMMMM, strawberries have some special power over me.  And make my mouth very happy! :)

You want in on a fun little family recipe/story?  My mom has been making this exact Strawberry Pie recipe for years.  For almost 50 years, that is.  When my parents bought their first little home in Santa Maria, CA back in the 1960′s, they had fields and fields of strawberry crops near their home that they would pick from.  Like, right from the vine……not just from the grocery store.  My parents would tell us about the huge fist sized strawberries that they would bite into, right there in the strawberry fields.  And they were always run-down-your-face-juicy and sweeter than sugar.  Yum.  Well, every year, the ladies at her church group would bake dozens of strawberry pies and would sell them at the county fair as a fund raiser.  She claims people would come from miles around for their pies.  No surprise. :)

Anyway, this recipe comes from those county fair Strawberry Pies.  And is something my mom for us 7 kiddos while growing up.

IMG_7071-001

[***By the way, that's a gluten free crust.  And gluten free pie crusts don't brown very much (at least, they don't if you don't want them to dry out).....and that's why it looks so pale.]

Truly, something this delicious should be way more complicated.  But it’s not.  3 ingredients…….check. :)

fresh strawberry pie-001

It really is the perfect (and simply delicious) way to enjoy a summer evening.

IMG_7251

IMG_7257-001

Oh wait, you see some other sort of pie on the kiddos’ plates?  Yeah, that’s some juicy Peach Pie (that I shared back when we lived in Georgia).  It has also been a family favorite for almost 50 years.  And is equally delicious. :)

peachy pie

Anyway, back to that strawberry pie.

Each bite is a little bit of mashed and thickened strawberry mixture, some fresh strawberry, and then some flaky crust.  And just so you know, strawberry pie tastes even more delicious outdoors, after the summer heat has lifted, and the sun is just beginning to hide behind the tippy tops of the mountains.  (If you don’t have mountains, just insert “horizon” in there. Ha!)  Just be sure to kick up those feet…….and enjoy.

IMG_7202-001

Even if your husband is hard at work mowing, you can still kick those feet up and enjoy. He’ll join you soon enough! ;)

IMG_7238-001

Mmmmmmm………strawberries.  Thanks for being so delicious.

IMG_6880-001

And thanks for willingly jumping into our favorite Strawberry Pie! :)

IMG_7114-002

Would you like a slice??

FULL RECIPE is all written out below.  Just scroll down past all the pictures.

First of all, rinse off a quart of fresh strawberries.

IMG_6838-001

Then cut off those pretty green leaves.

IMG_6907-001

And then begin to mash them up……until you have 2 cups of mashed berries.

mash strawberries-001

Add your two cups of mashed strawberries to a medium sized saucepan.

IMG_6950-001

Then add one cup of granulated sugar.

IMG_6977-001

Plus on tablespoon.  Yeah, I think it’s random too.  But you can’t mess with 50-year-old, county-fair recipes! ;)

IMG_6981-001

Now, sprinkle in a 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.  Use a wire whisk and stir as you’re gradually adding the cornstarch.

IMG_6989-001

Continually stirring over medium-high heat, until the mixture comes to a boil.  Continue cooking (at a boil) for one more minute.

IMG_6995-001

Then let cool to room temperature.  If you haven’t made your crust, do so now, while your filling is cooling.  If your crust is already made, you can speed up the cooling process by placing your pan over a bowl of ice or an ice bath in the sink.  Stir occasionally, until the mixture cools to room temperature.

IMG_7054-001

Now, my crust is gluten free.  And not very pretty.  And is very sensitive…….little bugger.  (I used this gluten free pie crust recipe……and have for years.  Except  I just use regular white rice flour, no mixture of flours. Nor sweet rice flour.)

IMG_7013-001

So, while trying to turn the pan and take a picture……..I hit the edge with my hand, and yeah, it’s not very forgiving crust.

IMG_7021-001

(And then 2 seconds later, I dropped a knife on the other side of the crust.  And almost swore.  Oh well……it’s just going in our bellies. :) )

Slice up another quart of rinsed strawberries and line your crust with them.  Be sure to stand some up around the edges of crust, so they’ll peek up along the edges of the pie filling, after it’s added.

IMG_7029-001

Then, pour in your strawberry filling and smooth it out evenly.  Place in the fridge for a couple hours before serving.

IMG_7063-001

And you know, everything is even tastier with whipped cream.  So, even though I forgot to share a picture of that…….ADD SOME!

IMG_7071-002

And then enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Desserts, Featured, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

38 Responses to “FRESH and SUPER SIMPLE Strawberry Pie Filling (only 3 ingredients)”
    Carly says:

Do you have a good gluten free crust recipe?

Carly says:

And the pie looks amazing! I am definitely going to need to make this for the kids.

Beatrice says:

Hi from Germany

thanks for this wonderful strawberry-recipe. I love it without testing it (but I will try out)

Have a fine day
    yours
    Beatrice
    (Hamburg)

Katie says:

My husband just asked me to make a strawberry pie last night! What perfect timing :) We are also gluten free so I was wondering if you made the crust yourself or found a good store bought one. I’d love to know, thanks!!

Victoria says:

Those little tiny metal baby spoons are a great way to core out the strawberries without taking too much of the straweberry meat out. They are also a great way for the kids to help hout since there are no sharp points.

Kay says:

I just tried the new Pillsbury GF Pie crust, and it’s REALLY good! Usually the premade stuff isn’t, but I really enjoyed it. It’s still not as easy to work with as the regular stuff, but easier than made-from scratch, which is great for us working moms (which I believe ever mom is)

OOOOOOH!! I didn’t know Pilsbury made pie crust! I MUST give that a try. :) Where did you find it?

• 6.1.1
        Kay says:

It was just released this month! They now make pie crust/pastry dough, cookie dough and pizza dough. I found it right by the other cookie dough stuff at my local Macey’s (I’m in Utah), but I know they’re rolling out to everyone over the next few months! It’s so awesome!

• 6.1.1.1

Oh my gosh, that’s GREAT!! I’m dying to try the pizza crust. Yum! Thanks for the info……off to the grocery store! :)

• skelly says:

That’s funny. I’ve been using Pillsbury pie crust for years…it’s the only good premade brand. It comes already in a pie tin (reg or deep dish) in the frozen dessert section or in reg size rolled up (2 per box) next to the crescents and biscuits. It’s perfect for those last-minute desserts when you don’t want to fuss with making a crust.

Móni says:

What a pity that in Hungary strawberry season is over! I will try it next year, because it looks great. Just one question: how much is 1 cup? As you add tablespoon as well, I cannot say that O.K, I add 2 times more strawberry than sugar…

Robin says:

1 cup is 240 mL
      1/3 cup is 80 mL
      1 Tablespoon is 15 mL
      1 teaspoon (this isn’t used in the recipe) is 5 mL

Hope this makes things easier since the recipe is portioned for one pie.

• 7.1.1
        Móni says:

Thank you, Robin! It helps a lot! Is it standard in the USA? I mean if everybody knows how much is one cup? In Hungary we use SI :-) And of course I use one of my cups for my own reciepes, but if I have to give the receipe to my friend, I measure my cup and say the amount in ml (or better in dl, we prefer dl in Hungary).

Maren says:

I don’t think that whipped cream with strawberry pie is ever optional, should put mandatory next to it instead.

Ha……that made me laugh! But I totally agree! And in case anyone is worried, whipped cream calories never count…….so pile it on! :)

Donna says:

Sounds yummy! Oh, and I love the cushions on your chairs! I would love that fabric on the chairs in my living room!!

Charo says:

My mouth is watering…! It looks dellicoious!
    I can’t wait to make it.

What’s corn starch (I’m Spanish) Is it a flour made from the corn?

Thanks for your help.

Hi! Cornstarch isn’t corn flour……it comes from corn but it’s a really fine powdery substance used to thicken sauces, soups…………and strawberry pie!! :) I’m not sure how else to explain it. But it’s used a lot in baking as well.

Hope that helps!

brandy says:

I made this last night! It was really yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Amy says:

This looks so good! I usually say no to strawberries at this time of year (it is winter here in Australia) but I might have to say yes this week!!

Rachel says:

It’s also really good with vanilla Greek yogurt on top with a little lemon zest instead of whipped cream.

Kristina Noall says:

I feel the same about strawberries. They’re pretty much magical. And I’m guessing that they’ll be even more magical in this pie (though I’m thinking graham cracker crust–sorry for the sacrilege on your mom’s recipe!).
    And I LOVE that you took a picture of a bite of pie, with your husband mowing in the background. Bahahaha! You’re too funny! :)
    Off to find a maxi skirt tutorial on your site, and bust one out tonight! Wish me luck!!

Sandrine says:

I just made this pie today and my family and I are absolutely in love. Tell your mother that she is a pie goddess. This morning I picked up some plump peaches at the farmer’s market and plan to whip up the peach pie for tomorrow. Thank you for this amazing recipe. :)

Abby S says:

YUM! You’ve sold me. I’ll make it tomorrow for our friend’s July 4th party. Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try it!

This looks so yummy!
    You can check out some of my G-free favorites at

Jenny says:

Would this work for blueberries as well?