15+ BOY Clothing Sewing Projects

Oh boy.

Boys are tricky little creatures.  At least mine is.  I feel like I can predict my girls’ reactions, meltdowns, drama, etc…..maybe because I am one?  (And I’m not saying that knowing my girls are going to be dramatic makes the drama any easier.  Whew, no sirree!!)  But boys…….they seem to think differently, act differently, giggle at different things, are mesmerized by unpredictable things, etc.  But I’ll tell you something, this boy of mine has me wrapped around his tiniest finger.  The way he snuggles up on my lap, sincerely asks how I’m doing, can sense when I’m frustrated, randomly volunteers to help, and tells me I’ll always be his favorite momma forever……..aggggghhhh, this boy.  He melts me.

Yeah, boys are such different little creatures than girls are in many ways……including sewing projects.

My little Connor is almost 5 and he still loves for me to make him things.  He sees when I whip up his sisters a quick little dress, skirt, or tunic and then asks when I’m going to make him something new to wear.  It’s not that there aren’t things to make for boys.  They just sometimes take a little longer.  And aren’t as easy to just slap a little embellishment on something, and call it good.  Maybe you’ll agree…..but you have to be a little more creative with those little boys.  And I really don’t know how much longer Connor will appreciate my sewing him things to wear, so I need to hunker down this summer and make him a few more treasures that he can proudly tell people, “my momma made this!!“.  (Because let me tell you, this kid doesn’t keep things to himself.  He’ll talk anyone’s ear off.)

With that in mind…….any Boy Sewing Project requests?!?! I can definitely add some to my list and try and tackle several of them this summer.  Leave me a comment if you’d like to see something in particular.  And I’ll try my best at a few of them.  Deal??

. . . . .

In the meantime, I thought I’d share many of the boy projects I’ve already made (from my list of clothing tutorials)……in case you need a little inspiration to get started.

Truly, little boys are sweeter than pie, and are just as fun to sew for.  So get hoppin’…

15+ boy sewing projects

Embellish Boy Tshirts

boy tshirts

Little Boy Belt

boy belt

Turn Trousers into Boy’s Reversible Vest

reversible vest

Baby Boy Sandals (made with Faux Leather)

Turning Long Pants into Shorts (and making it look good)

boy shorts

Graphic Tshirt with Fabric Paint

Little Boy Neck Tie

little boy tie

4th of July Tshirt

4th of july shirts

Sweater Scraps to Embellish Tshirts

Football Tshirt

If you’re new around here, hope that gave you plenty of you new ideas.  And if you saw most of these the first time around, hopefully it reminded you of that Boy Project you were going to make……..and then forgot about. :)

And really, if you’ve been dying to make some sort of Boy Project and just can’t figure it out, leave me a comment.  And maybe I’ll give it a try.  (No promises……I can’t always figure everything out either. :) )

And while you’re at it, enjoy your day!

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing

Comments

48 Responses to “15+ BOY Clothing Sewing Projects”
    Patty Marker says:

Thank you for the cute little boy ideas. It is harder to come up with sewing projects for boys and I am going to give a few of yours a try.

janna heiken says:

I would love to see zip-up bins. All their little cars, blocks , and especially tractors at my house need a play mat and a quick way to pick up! How about a farm or roadway around the interior? Oooooooh! Monster slippers with claws. Crossbody ammo belt for toy cars. Sleeping bags for bears. Ankle pouch for cool rocks found on walks. A pocket pouch that ties to their shoelaces for treasures. I will stop! It just got really fun for a minute!

Hey Janna, great ideas!!! I’m totally gonna make a few of these……you’re mind is on a roll today! Really, thanks!! :) -Ashley

Kathy says:

I think boys are harder to sew for and buy for. When I went shopping for a gift for a friend having a boy (I only have girls), it seemed like everything had either a saying on it like, “Daddy’s Little Slugger” or it had a dinosaur, truck, or wild animal on it. I like that you have come up with some really clever, but not too girly, things for boys. Thanks!

Rabi Jaccob says:

Hello. Excuse my english… But I love what you make.
    But unfortunatly i’ve two boys… It’s not possible for me to do some of our lovely dress !!!!
    So I would like to see your Little Boy Neck Tie.
    Thank for your website !
    Your frenchy follower

Joan says:

Hi Ashley,
    Take heart – he may appreciate it longer than you think. I have 4 granddaughters for whom I sew all the time, but only 1 grandson. Last Christmas I started to feel so bad that the girls got so many things and he got nothing, so I gave it a shot.
    He has a reputation around school for wearing quirky T-shirts, so I thought I’d go with that. I fused on a white rectangle of fabric, holed-punched to look like binder paper, then sewed blue lines . I copied his handwriting with a red fabric marker and wrote: “Dear Santa, It was all my sisters’ fault, Love Nick”.
    He loved it! Oh, and he’s 16, so you’ve got a while to go.

Lindsay says:

I love all these ideas! My sweet boy is only 2 months and I can’t wait to start making him things! Now I get to see boy things instead of just girl things for his sister! I’ll take anything you can come up with!

Jenn says:

What a great post! And I DO have a request! My 6-year-old son has been in a “comfy pants” phase for about a year now. He literally REFUSES to wear anything that’s not athletic / track pants with the stripes down the side, or frumpy old sweatpants that always seem to be 3 sizes too big.

I would. LOVE to see my kid in denim. He’s such a handsome little guy, and it kills me to see him bumming around in mismatched workout attire when he could totally be rocking some trendy little outfit. I don’t want to be one of those overbearing moms who won’t let her kids wear what’s comfortable for them; rather, I’d like to find a way to make my son’s nice denim jeans and shorts COMFORTABLE so they feel like “comfy pants” or “comfy shorts” when they’re on.

Unfortunately the undertaking is going to involve more than simply adding an elastic waistband… I tried doing that and my son poo-pooed the jeans. I’m wondering if lining the jeans / shorts in some of that slippery rayon-type fabric might help, but then I worry about him overheating.

Do you have anything in your back of tricks that you could show us to make trendy jeans feel like “comfy pants” to the wearer? I’d be forever in your debt if I could.get my son to wear jeans or nice pants…. it’s especially tough on Sunday mornings as he’s pitching a full-blown fit about how he doesn’t want to wear his “nice pants” to church. He’ll often sneak a pair of workout shorts on underneath the nice pants, then strip the nice pants off once the childrens’ sermon is done and he is dismissed to his Sunday class! Aaargh!!

And you should see us getting ready for family photos… urgh, what a nightmare!

Anyway, if you come up with anything brilliant, please, PLEASE share! My son has a whole drawer full of trendy jeans that he hasn’t worn once!!

Thanks! I can’t wait to see if you’re willing to tackle this one!

Smiles, Jenn

Danielle d says:

I have a little guy like that. I got lucky and found a pair of cords and another pair of soft pants at good will. They are both elastic waist and super soft so he likes ithem as much as the athletic pants. The one pair even has a nice flat front with a decorative button. :)

pamela says:

all of your tutorial are great, the boy ones as well!!!
    a while ago i saw a website where there was a little boy wearing a “shoulder belt” (like a shoulder bag with no bag) and on the belt there were some pockets/elastic that hold toys, little cars, a cup,… it looked like a immunition belt… but i’ve never been able to find it again. i really hope it makes sense (i am one of your foreign followers – from italy-) and might be a good idea for one of your projects :)

Suzy Roberts says:

We’re expecting a baby boy in August. So excited to see all of these tutorials. Have you ever made any little driver or newsboy caps? My husband wears them and I would live to make matching caps for him and Baby Boy. Thanks!

Diana says:

Me too! My little guy is a year and a half and I’ve been having fun sewing shorts with fun topstitching (jeans with orange, grey khaki with white). And fun ribbing on t-shirts too!

I would love some ideas for embellishing onesies and t-shirts that don’t involve dinosaurs or sports. And I really appreciate when tutorials give dimensions and sizes. So many just say things like measure the child’s waist, which is great, but I don’t have kids, and most of the kids I sew for live several hours away. Looking forward to some new ideas!

Netty says:

zipper tie!!!! :) overalls? rompers like this kind:

can you tell I have a 9 month old. Yea for boy sewing!!! :)

Hayley says:

I’ve got two boys myself so the majority of my sewing is boy-related. It was sort of hard to get into because it just seemed like girls stuff was much more fun, but I have come to love sewing for my boys! My latest project I’m trying to tackle is a blazer. I bought a PDF pattern from another blogger, but I’m just not happy with the fit or the construction. So I’m on a quest to make blazer for my boys, any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chelsey says:

A road mat! I just made one of these for my little guy and he is obsessed with it. I bought canvas and sewed a black road on (felt) and then used sharpies to draw buildings and trees. His trains, cars, you name it,… he’s on that thing every day. And to make it nice, I sewed a utility fabric on the back (pillowcase style) so it’s like a quilt. And when it’s time to clean up, we flip it over and it’s a nice area rug for his bedroom :D Big pat on the back for me? Why yes :)

Andrea says:

I’m in need of a few nice church shirts (perhaps re-fashioned from a mens dress shirt) for my 4 1/2 year old! I’ve been thinking about buying a pattern but nervous that I’ll be able to make the pattern work with the mens shirt I want to use… I’m sure you could figure it out :) P.S. I LOVE your tutorials! You are so creative and talented and I think we’d be great friends if we lived in the same country :)

Erin says:

How about swim trunks and a rash guard? And I like the slippers idea mentioned in an earlier comment. If you are thinking more than just clothing, softies/stuffed animals would be fun. I loved your felt truck!

Agy says:

THose sandals are cute! Love seeing boy refashions. Sometimes I think we concentrate a bit too much on ourselves :-)

Erin Morrison says:

I have a 6 month baby boy and I would LOVE an easy to follow Jon Jon/ shortall tutorial!

Danielle d says:

I made a sock monster for my son from a pair of multi colored toe socks. I also made my boys rice bag ice packs that get used almost every night. They are about 8×8 and great for any boo boo or night time leg ache. I’m going to make site bins with foam seats for each of my boys using a milk crate, a piece of wood, foam and fabric.

Stephanie G. says:

I’d love to see a tutorial for overalls or rompers! :)

lisa says:

I never thought about it, but you’re right. Boys are a lot harder to sew for. You can’t just add a little bow or glitter like you can for girls. Also, I feel like the more complex projects aren’t always worth it because he’s going to grow out of it or ruin it within a couple months! Love all your ideas though.

I’d love to try something cute for Halloween or maybe a fun newsboy hat. I’m always looking at your blog for great ideas!

Kim says:

I’ve made jammies for my son and nephew, and they love them. They are easy to make and the boys can choose a fabric that might not be so cool at school, but that they still love. Oh! And, pillow cases. My son and nephew love to pick out fabric for those, too!

sarah says:

This would probably be super complicated but I would love to see a tutorial on how to make a newsboy style cap.

Stephanie o says:

I’ve been dying to try to make an explorer vest or sash. Probably sash so it wouldn’t be too hot. Something to hold a couple plastic test tibes, magnifying glass, compass, flashlight, water bottle, a granola bar. Something to make him feel like conquering the wilds of outside. I just haven’t sat down to figure out how exactly :). Also thinking a water bottle holder will be a good idea for the kiddos and need to make a summer weight quilt ( 1 layer flannel/ 1 cotton or 2 cotton no batting )

heidmarie says:

So glad that you’re focusing attention on sewing for boys! My daughter is getting a little old to sew for, but I have three boys ages seven and under, and I love sewing for them! I make lots of pants a la Dana’s tutorial, but I would love to try a pair with a zip fly. A zip-front hooded sweatshirt would be fun too. I like the idea of slippers–at least two of my boys would really enjoy those. I think a tutorial on making a color block raglan-style shirt would be fun, like this but made out of cotton knit:

Something else that I would REALLY love that’s not clothing related is some throw pillow and wall decor ideas for a boys’ room. I have some blank walls that could use some life! I love these string-art names:

But sadly, there’s no tutorial for them! I could probably wing it and figure it out, but your instructions are always so helpful and easy to follow.

Thanks, Ashley!

Pooja says:

Completely agree with you about boys. Hats off to you for all those wonderful ideas for boys. They are difficult to find.

I have a 10 year old and making things for him is definitely not so easy, all the more because he is a bit particular about his choices. I believe all boys area so. I recently transformed his old but good t-shirt into a drawstring bag and thankfully he liked it.

Marla says:

ideas for future projects: little boy army style hat, pinewood derby type raceway for hot wheels cars, and that’s all I’ve got right now. :D

Erin says:

Definitely little boy toy storage of some sort and slippers. Sewing for boys is so much more challenging! I can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

Jill Day says:

how about a stick horse? felt cowboy hat or fireman hat?

Meghan says:

A vest or belt to hold nerf guns! I have a 7 year old and he is always out in the park playing with his nerf guns with his friends!

Mika says:

I’ve got two young boys so I love this post! This past Christmas I sewed them matching super-hero capes which they love to wear when they run around the house. My sister mentioned a post she saw about making a dragon tail (or dinosaur), which is now on my list of things I’d love to sew. Pillowcases are also super super easy and my boy loves his pillowcase with rockets on them.

[email protected] says:

This isnt really a project so much as a procedure idea…but what about putting adjustable buttonhole elastic into pants/shorts that dont haveit. I guess this could be for girls too…i have 4boys and their pants never fit right in the waist.

Helena says:

Hi Ashley! I just love your blog and I’ve found your tutorials extremely helpful!!! I’m a total beginner when it comes to sewing… but I have a 3-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son who don’t seem to mind my not so perfect results… I’d love to be able to sew some boxers / underpants for my son and some underwear for my daughter and a tutorial would really be appreciated!!
    After making a couple of those elastic band skirts with some plain old white elastic I contacted a couple of online store keepers here in Finland and one of them got excited about those elastic bands and decided to import them :) Now I’m waiting to receive a whole bunch of elastic. I think it would be perfect for those boxers…

Hi Ashley! I just love sewing and really appreciate your tutorials.

Cait says:

How about a romper refashioned from a men’s t-shirt.

danilia says:

i love every thing I have viewed from your site. brilliant work

andrea says:

My little guy loves wearing sneakers, needs to wear slippers around our super old, cold house but he won’t wear the fluffy store pair I bought! I’m totally going to make a larger size of the boy booties into a pair of fleece slippers and see if that doesn’t do the trick. Thanks!

cecilia says:

Hi as usual great ideas that I can’t wait to try! I’m really desperate to try dungarees! I have a boy and a girl and would love to make them a pair each!

Alicia Hernandez says:

I just found this love your ideas! my son has autism so I like him to dress really nice and sew a lot of clothes like shirts and I personalize it with his name when he grows out of his clothes I couln!t part with them so I put them away and now I’m making a quilt with his clothes this quilt is pre k to 1st next quilt will be 2nd to…..whenever I have enough for another quilt I want to do a quilt for every school year he really loves the quilts I make for him I make whimsical top wash it in hot water a couple of times then use one layer quilt batting and the bottom layer fleece I sew the quilt in square sections on my machine the hand sew the squares together makes it easier and faster