We’re done……papers are signed, keys are in hand. Yay!

Good news!  We’re done with this whole house buying thing.

And I’ve been a little absent the past few days because of it.  So many phone calls, papers to sign, repairs to begin, arrangements to be made.  Wow.  What a little ol’ adventure we’re having.  But really, we couldn’t be more excited.  We thought we would surely be renters for life……but are happy to paying our own mortgage now, not someone else’s.  ;)

IMG_2390

Now it’s time for the real fun to begin.

This home is begging for fresh paint on its walls.  ALL of them.  Oh, and ceilings too.  We like white ceilings but almost every room has colored ceilings.  Good thing Steve and I are REALLY tall and can reach those suckers! ;)

IMG_2577

IMG_2574

Yeah, this bathroom needs a little love.  In due time……

IMG_2561

The living room needs a little TLC as well.  I’m not a fan of the colors, or the blinds, or those frames on the wall.

IMG_2466

They were built right onto the wall……so we need to start prying them off.  Oh, I hope they don’t tear down the dry wall as we pull them off.  I guess we’ll learn as we go…

IMG_2468

This house is all oak trim.  I am seeing many MANY days of turning oak trim into white trim in our future.

IMG_2502

*****More pictures of the inside to come…….especially as we start tearing things apart and transforming each room.  Eeeeeeh! :)

But we love her.  (Yes, I guess the house is a her.)  And until we get all of our stuff in there (this weekend)…….she’s just a house.

But truly, I can’t wait to turn her into our home.

. . . . .

Thanks for hanging in there while we’re juggling life for a bit.  I have several things that I’ve started and can’t wait to share.  I just need to edit a few more pictures…..but they’ll be coming soon.

Oh, and in case you were wondering about home renovation projects………YES, they are a-coming.  They will be sprinkled in here, there and oh, probably everywhere.  Can’t wait! :)

Talk soon….

-Ashley

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

88 Responses to “We’re done……papers are signed, keys are in hand. Yay!”
    Michele says:

Congratulations! She’s a beauty!

Lauren H says:

Congratulations on becoming homeowners! So exciting and new! Best of luck.

Lynette says:

Congratulations! Your home is beautiful. Coming from someone who has a rockin’ 60′s kitchen and bathroom (the paint is literally peeling and we have a nasty plasticy insert in our shower/bath), your bathroom looks great just the way it is! Have fun making it yours. It’s always great to do some sort of drastic project that makes it yours for real!

Mindy says:

ooh, can’t wait to see how you transform your new home! Congrats!

Carolyn says:

Congrats on your new home! Signing all of that paperwork can be a little intimidating, but being able to do what you want in your home is a great feeling. I can’t wait to see how you put your own touches on the house!

Ellen says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see what you do with it!
    We’re on our 3rd (and FINAL) fixer upper. I highly recommend the Home Depot 1-2-3 book. I know all the info can be found online but it has been a lifesaver (literally) on more than one occassion. Much easier to drag the book along to the work area than to take a laptop. We refer to it as the big orange bible.

Megan W. says:

Eeep! Congratulations!!! I’m excited to see you beautify it!

Amanda says:

Congrats! We close on our house Friday and it’ll be the same deal painting trim white and I have a wonderful mauve kitchen countertop I want to turn to concrete :)

Have fun making this home your own!

Shannon f says:

Congratulations!!! We close on our first house at the end of May!!!! I can’t wait to see how you decorate! Have fun!

Ali says:

Congrats! Looking forward to all of the impending home improvement and decor posts!

Jessica says:

CONGRATULATIONS! My husband and I bought our first home one year ago and it was the most amazing feeling EVER! I too felt that we would always be paying someone elses mortgage! There is such a sense of pride when you buy your own home and are able to make it yours. I look forward to seeing how you transform this wonderful house :)

Jessica
    myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

Kristin says:

congrats! It’s such a beautiful feeling and a beautiful experience :D Enjoy!

Cerise says:

Congrats! She’s beautiful! I can’t wait to see what you do with her.

Anja says:

Congrats! It has a LOT of potential!

(And our house in Colorado had those IDENTICAL blinds. The window that faced the west and got full sun in the hot afternoon, actually melted and bowed weirdly.. THOSE BLINDS ARE MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE – so as you pull them down, you might advertise to sell them.. It was almost $60 just to get the couple of slats replaced on ours that had melted.. I may have pictures of them.. Hmmm)

Congrats again!

Kristin says:

Yay! It is so fun to make your house into a home. And I’m SUPER excited that we get to see you do it through blog posts. :)

barbara j says:

Congrats! Many fun days are ahead but don’t be too quick to paint all the woodwork. Even if it’s not the nicest wood in the world, wood trim can add a lot of warmth to a room. It’s hard as heck to undo it. Seriously, think hard about it before laying the paint down.

Valerie says:

I have to disagree….as I was scrolling through your pictures, the first thing I thought was to get rid of the dated wood trim. I think white baseboards and window trim looks so much fresher. I would go for it and paint that trim. Maybe you could also paint those built in frames and place things in them so they look like a double frame.

Jen @ CastlesandCarriages says:

I also have to disagree with you Barbara! The oak trim hurts my eyes lol! Can’t wait to see what you do with the place Ashley. Congratulations :)

Lisamarie says:

Congratulations on your new home, how fun!!!! But I also agree with Valerie … please don’t be too quick to paint that wood trim, especially if it is oak!

Shelley says:

Congrats on the new house Ashley! Making it your “own” will be the best part. Can’t wait to see it unveiled slowly. :)

J Johnston says:

Oh, you are so right, those walls need some help! You might be able to do something fun with the frames in the living room with a different color and some great photos. Wish I was there to help you! Have fun making it your own!

Kasia says:

Congrats!!!! Looking forward to seeing what you’ll do it (her:)!!!

The Mrs. says:

She looks lovely, but I can’t wait for all of the home dec posts from you that are surely to come in the next year. Go forth and make her your own! Congrats.

Gina says:

Congrats on you new home, it’s a DIYers dream!!! I’ll be living vicariously through you and your transformation and waiting for the day that I can stop renting and become a homeowner. Can’t wait to see the transformation!!

Kori says:

Congrats! She is beautiful!!!! She has good bones and that’s what counts…..Yay for you and your family!

Sophie says:

In French, house is a « she ». So you’re right :)

ALICIA says:

Congrats!

Also, my hubs just taught me a trick about prying frames off the wall without making giant holes. (I just did something simliar.) If you put the hammer prongs between frame and wall, and then put a piece of wood between the rest of the hammer and the wall, your hammer won’t punch a hole in the drywall. Something about spreading out force. (You probably already knew that, but it was a revelation to me!)

Danette says:

Hey lady congratulation!!! I’m so excited for you (and a little bit jealous:). I can’t wait to see what you do to make her shine! Also I got a new phone and unfortunately your number was lost can you text it to me, please?

Jenn says:

Hooray!! Oh, I can’t WAIT to see what you do to this baby! The living room in particular looks like it has tremendous potential for lots of artistic touches. I think you’ll turn it into something absolutely graceful by the time you’re done!

Gosh, I wish my husband and I had any kind of eye or talent for decorating… our house was all white inside when we bought it (and I do mean ALL white… white walls, white ceilings, white carpets, white moldings, white doors… well, you get the idea). We actually sort of liked it. The house was considered “contemporary” in terms of layout, and it had a rather open floor plan with a vaulted ceiling in the front room, and the white actually seemed really fresh. And the people we bought the house from were SO neat and clean that everything had actually STAYED white instead of turning that nasty gray color you get after tracking too much crap in from outside (these folks even had a white DOG, so that no dark fur would sully the beautiful whiteness…)

Well, then all of our family and friends (who are into more “country” decor) kept telling us how incredibly boring the interior of our house was, and that we needed to PAINT IT!! PAINT IT!! PAINT IT…. NOW!!!

Eventually my in-laws must have felt sorry for us, because they offered to PAY to have our house painted. We liked it white, but we didn’t feel right refusing such a generous offer, so on came the paint.

And the first thing we decided to do was to try something BOLD and “out-of-the-box,” (which is exactly what you DON’T do when you have a perfectly lovely house just the way it is, and you have no clue WHAT the heck you’re doing when it comes to decorating), and we had our bathroom painted the very shade of green YOUR bathroom currently is… except with darker contrasting walls.

So it’s sort of a two-tone puke-green bath. After that disaster we stuck to neutrals for the rest of the house. We have yet to fix the bathroom. It’s the one room in the house I just don’t like at all… but it’s the kids’ bathroom at this point, so I figure we’ll let them mess it all up and then fix it up again when they’re older.

Anyway, I will be watching and waiting to see how you remake this house into a place of beauty and grace! (And I have to wonder what was going on with those frames on the wall… we have a huge wall in our living room too, because of the vaulted ceiling. I originally wanted to hang a giant wreath on it, but a giant wreath was apparently a deal-breaker for my husband, so that was that… now we have some boring, blah paintings of generic flowers hanging on it. I still think I should have put a wreath there…)

Anyway, sorry to leave such a long, rambly comment. You must be SO EXCITED to have your new home!!! I’m so happy for you. Can’t wait to see pics and be inspired to do something to my own house!

Kathryn says:

I love the house and am so excited for you! It’s beautiful already, but I can see so much potential too! I can’t wait to see what you do with it! What a great day!

Arlene says:

Congratulations on your home! I’m not sure how I started following your blog and getting your emails, but when I saw your house, I knew it had to be from Colorado! I looked at your About section on your blog and yep, you live in Colorado, which is where I am! In fact, your house might have been built by the same builder as mine. It’ll be fun to see the stages of your house as you make it your home! Have lots of fun!

Kathy says:

I can’t wait to see all the amazing and creative ways you spice up your new house! Congratulations!

Shelly says:

We just bought a house (but don’t close for another month) too, and it’s also got all oak trim. I’m from the west where white trim has been the thing for 30 years and I don’t understand why everywhere here in town (in Minnesota) seems to have wood trim, even when it was built pretty recently. You’ll have to share how the trim painting goes, because I have a future of that myself. (I so badly want new, white doors too. We’ll get to it, but all these costs are going to add up!)

Natalie says:

Congrats!! I have to ask … where in CO do you live? (If you don’t mind answering.) I grew up in CO and it will *always* be home to me! In fact, someone asked me yesterday where I was from and I said Colorado … even though I’ve lived in UT for the last 10 years :)

Erin says:

Congrats! Looks nice and spacious. We just re-painted some baseboards and I got the tip to use clear packaging tape between the baseboards and the carpet. You can use a knife or something to shove it under the baseboards and it doesn’t rip. Worked great! Good luck!

Kaitlin says:

Congrats on the new home! It’s beautiful! I must be the only person on earth who still likes natural wood work in my home. We have white and I honestly wish we could just trade and save one another some money! Good luck with those frames in the living room. I’ve seen some crazy things but that is a new one.

Erika says:

Congrats on the new place. If you like white ceilings you must know of the ceiling paint that starts purple and dries white! That stuff is a lifesaver…..especially when you are going back for another coat over an already white ceiling.

Rachel says:

Woo – that house has some interesting decor and paint choices, haha. But I know you are going to make it fabulous!! Can’t wait to see it as it goes along.

Congratulations! How exciting! Can’t wait to see all the work you do to the inside. What a menagerie of colors!

Valerie says:

I love colored ceilings….well, maybe not the color of ceilings that your house has now!! I think color looks great on a ceiling, especially with a little white crown molding to really show it off. You might find it just as easy….or easier to paint your ceilings to match your new rooms…..

T'onna says:

Congratulations! That’s a gorgeous house!!!

Katie says:

Congrats!!! Hope all of your renovations are fun and successful!

Christine says:

congratulations! we sign on our new little home tomorrow and are also moving this weekend. I’ll be thinking of you and praying for your sanity to as we enjoy our new homes!

Becky says:

Congrats! You deserve this!

Lovaine says:

May God bless you and your family in your new home:)

Michelle says:

Congrats! I can’t wait to see how you make it your own. :-)

Dana says:

Congratulations on your first home! I have to say that I’m one of the few who don’t like white trim. Way too sterile for me! So of course when we bought a home on acreage last year what color was the trim? white! It’s an older home from the 70′s so all the wood was really dark and the previous owner didn’t want so much dark so she painted EVERYTHING!! Its ghastly in fact. Each room was some horrid shade of whatever she concocted by mixing paints and then slapped on the walls. To say we have some painting to do still is an understatement. The only room painted so far is the kitchen because it was a sickly shade of green that just didn’t invite your appetite. And thankfully she left the cream color paint that the open dining room is right next to it with the house so I just spent a day painting the kitchen to match the dining room. The worst room is the front room though that we repurposed into a library. It has ketchup red on 2 walls and mustard yellow on the opposite walls. I call it the hotdog room because all you need to add is a hotdog! Its waiting for a lovely shade of sage green to go up this summer. Can’t wait! And normally I would just pull off the painted white trim & replace with real wood trim because white moldings are composite wood moldings and not real wood so you can’t strip and stain them. But since this is the original moldings from the 70′s I can strip and stain. By the way if your wood trim is all dinged up and that’s why you don’t like it because you can see the dings so bad, do what I did before selling my house last February. Buy a jug of Watco danish oil stain. You don’t pre-sand or anything. It wipes on with a rag and conceals all those dings like magic! Was a godsend for freshing up the look of wood. Really made it pop! Would’ve thought it was brand new wood installed, seriously! Just some ideas if you can’t tackle the trim right away. Sorry for the book. Just wanted to let you in on my lovely house project too. And I didn’t even mention the mess outside on the 5 acres. Oh mama! that’s another story entirely!

The floor modlings are small–really small. Instead of painting you might want to put in new moldings. We did 6 1/2″ tall ones (white ones) and it really beautifufies the house. We repainted the whole house, too, including the ceilings.

Melissa Phelps says:

Ah, I’m SO glad you’ll be showing how you make this house your home! We are in the very same process right now and almost everything we’ve considered has that icky oak trim…hopefully there’s an easy way to remedy that! :) Can’t wait to see it transform!

Michele says:

I found your blog this week when I was looking for some sewing projects because I just ordered a new sewing machine and serge machine. I read your post about your chair reupholstering, which is another project I am interested in completing. Your April Fools day post made me laugh. And now I am excited for you on your home purchase. Seems strange that I am giving you my opinion about not painting the wood trim in your new house. I agree there seems to be a lot of oak color, but I am sure whatever you do will be fabulous.

Michele says:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention “what is that white stuff on the grass?” I live in Florida and don’t miss living without that stuff!

Mahima Mary says:

Congratulations :) Cant wait to see the ‘easy ways of wisdom’ you come up with for this new home. God bless you and your family x

Sue says:

Congrats! So EXCITING!

Sharon says:

Congratulations.

nelda says:

congratulations! nice house and I can’t wait to see how you transform your new house to a lovelier home. I just admire you for being so creative! I guess I am one of your fan…lol
    God bless!
    ~ Nelda

Mindy says:

Congrats! We bought a home last summer, and we, too, have oak trim and doors throughout. I would love love love to change it all over to white, but one room leads to the next to the next and the work seems so daunting! I’ll be anxious to see how you tackle it all!

kia says:

Congrats!!!

Carrie says:

Congratulations! How fun. As far as the living room blinds, they aren’t that bad. I am IN LOVE with Blinds.com. I have re-done almost my entire house in blinds for 1/2 the price (I sound like a salesman but I’m not, just a loyal customer). Seriously check it out. You could get the upper blinds re-done with motorized blinds for a few hundred dollars. Otherwise… PINTREST!!

Jessica Hill says:

Congratulations! It is so much fun to put work in to your OWN house, I promise! We bought our first home last year, and renovating and redoing rooms has given us plenty of new memories. God’s blessing on your family’s new home!

Jessica says:

Small world– we got our keys to our very first home today, too! :) That must make us buddies by default! {LOVE your blog!}

Elise Arango says:

Congratulations! Now comes the fun part!

Diana says:

Congratulations. What fun you’ll have. Enjoy.

Is that a triple garage?!?!? !

Okay, weird wall-frames aside, you’ve won the house lottery! I don’t have any garage, and I’m drooling with envy over your THREE bays!

All of the stuff that can go in there! Oooooohhhh…..

She’s a beauty with oodles of potential. I can’t wait to see what you guys do with it.

Jane Louis says:

Congratulations and all the very best wishes for the future in your new home. Its lovely, can’t wait to see what you do with it :) xx

Ellie says:

Lovely! You will make that house into a home in no time! Renovating is so exciting! Looking forward to seeing lots of pics. :)

Kel in Oz says:

Congratulations :) Gorgeous little place and I just know you’ll make it perfect for your little family. Enjoy the experience of your last move for a LONG time.

Ellie says:

Congratulations! I am living the same life as you right now. We sold our old home yesterday and sign on our new home today. We are doing a 10 day rent-back so I can get the new house painted before we move our stuff in. Ten days sounds like a lot of painting time, but we have 6 kids and I teach early morning seminary so there’s quite a bit of other stuff going on, too. And my youngest is 18 months and into everything, so I can only paint when she is napping or in her high chair or at someone else’s house. I will be WAY excited to see all your home improvement projects and hopefully have time to copy some of them.

Sarah says:

Woohoo! We’re in the process of buying a house, too! Can’t wait till we get the keys and everything is finished! :) Congratulations!

Stacey says:

Congrats! It looks like a wonderful house…..that at will be really lovely once you re-decorate. Despite all the elbow grease involved, there is a lot of satisfaction in to turning something blah into something wonderful….but then, I guess you already know that!

Congratulations! By the way, I love the colors! Teehee….I have been wanting to paint my bathroom just about the color of green in the picture above….Ummmm…think I just might! Thank you for that picture! I do look forward to your renovation blogs. Maybe will give me some inspiration of my own. Can’t wait to see what the other rooms look like.

Kelly says:

Congratulations! I hope to be in the same situation real soon. So frustrated its taking so long. But I’m very happy for you.

michelle says:

congratulations!! :)

francis c moore says:

Love the exterior. Congratulations on your new home.

Madeleine says:

Congratulations! Looking forward to follow your painting/decorating journey with you:)

Teresa C says:

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to more home décor projects!

Amy says:

Congratulations!

I’m another lurker here. But, I just had to comment. So happy for you being a homeowner now! I too will be living through you :P I’m still years away from being a homeowner. For now, I’ll be a renter for a while more.

Congratulations again! I’m sure the house is going to become ever so home like and warm, very soon!

Shayla says:

It’s so cute! Talk about curb appeal! Congratulations.

cindy says:

before you toss the wood blinds, try painting them. it will brighten and lighten up the windows and besides, window treatments are $$$$$$$. you can spray paint them or brush paint on. i am also on the side of painting the trim white. i had trim like that in my old house and it was really orangy..i hated it. when we repainted it, it was so much better, it wasn’t the first thing your eyes went to when you walked into the room anymore!!

you can see what a difference paint makes here http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/2012/04/the-house-house.html. her house looks great. lighter and brighter…

cindy

Tulisaa says:

That really is a beautiful house from the inside and outside. I hope you turn that house into a nice cosy home!

Jill says:

What a beautiful house, will be gorgeous once you’ve finished decorating and home-making.