20+ Handmade Baby Gift Ideas

OH MY!!!  Love, love, love!  Check out these personalized buttons from Pick Your Plum today.  Holy Toledo…….how cool would it be to add your name, your business, or a love note on your projects.  You could add the buttons to a bag, use them as decor, attach them to a pouch, maybe the straps of girl’s summer dress………ooooooh, the ideas are endless.  Way too unique and fun to not share!  BUTTONS HERE.

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 9.23.55 AM

. . . . .

I am frequently asked for ideas for certain occasions.  Weddings, mother’s day, baby gifts, neighbor gifts, etc.  I know it’s easier to see everything categorized into one list……and so I’m trying to create master lists of different project topics that are a little more helpful to glean ideas from.  So, feel free to browse and remember old posts, more recent posts, or posts you never knew existed on here.

Because I gathered about 20 of my favorite projects that would be great to give as a Baby Shower Present, a Baby Birthday Gift, or to just make FOR FUN.

Afterall, it IS spring.  And little baby chicks are hatching right now.  Do you know someone who just had (or is having) a baby this spring??

Hopefully this will be helpful.

handmade baby gift ideas

I’m sure some of these projects may even seem new……because even I have forgotten about many of them.  And I put the tutorials together……ha!  So it’s fun for me to think about who has a birthday coming up or who’s having a baby.

Something completely fun, vibrant and chewable for baby, would be one (or more) of these Stuffed Fabric Turtles.  I still love seeing these little guys kick around our house.

And a no-fail gift that I love giving, is a little pair of these Baby Boy Booties.

Have you ever carried a car seat in the nook of your arm?  Well, the rubber and plastic pinch your poor arm.  So, adding a Car Seat Handle Cover fixes that problem.  And is cute to boot. :)

20.5

Or how about cutting up an old purse/pouch and using the material to make some adorable Baby Girl Flower Sandals.  These still make me smile.

If you know a baby who loves his/her binky……..making a Pacifier Pocket would be the perfect gift for the mom who wants a clean place to store the extra binky.

Gosh, I made these little Felt Hair Clips so long ago (that’s my  6 year old Elli in that picture) but I still love the simplicity of them.  I would use wool felt if I were to make these again but back when I posted these, I didn’t know about wool felt.  (Wool felt just holds up a little better and doesn’t ball up like polyester felt does.)

22.9

How about grabbing some of those long sleeved dresses that are clearance right now, cutting off the sleeves, and using the sleeves to make ruffles for the diaper cover.  Yes, it’s only half-homemade…….but no one else will have one like it. Long Sleeve Dress to Short Sleeves.

I still remember how much fun I had making this Felt Toy Truck.  And it matched one of Connor’s favorite book characters, so it was well loved.  Consider personalizing it for your little recipient. :)

We all know how frustrating the “the the sippy cup” game gets.  So, create a Sippy Cup Leash and any mom will smother you with Thank You’s!!!

Okay, I need to make more of these Baby Shoes from Thrifted Purses.  They cost next to nothing and turn out so darn cute.

These little Stuffed Elephant and Giraffe are a simple construction and so darling to make for any occasion.

Who wouldn’t enjoy a Wearable Blanket for Baby as a gift?  Chloe’s 2 years old now and she still wears one at night.

5.9

No more mistaking baby girl for a baby boy.  Make some super soft Wool Felt Hair Accessories to add to those little bald baby girl heads.

These Fabric Toy Blocks and Fabric Baby Rings are something I made so long ago but nothing says LOVE like making some soft and chewable baby toys.  Such a great gift! :)

23.9

Diaper Covers are nice but how about making some Ruffled Diaper Covers (from pre-ruffled fabric) instead?  So much fun.

Sweet baby boys and girls both can treasure a Fabric Doll from early on.  And how cute is it to make it look like the little one you’re giving it to.

doll

I don’t know why this is…….but seeing Connor in this Little Guy Tie pattern always makes me melt.  And it’s one of my most favorite items to gift to little boys.

18.9

Little baby heads need a bit of covering all year long.  So how about making a few Knit Baby Hats for that new baby you know.

And while we’re talking knit fabric……make a snuggly little Knit Receiving Blanket.  Chloe still cuddles with this one, 2 years later.

Girls need hairbows.  Even those with very little hair.  So whip up some Simple Bow Hair Clips with a No-Slip Grip.  They’ll surely be a hit! :)

6.9

If you know of a mom who nurses her baby, it’s always nice to receive a Nursing Cover to keep things a little more private.  It’s also nice to keep distractions away from baby’s eyes.

Little boys and girls both can always use many, many pairs of leggings.  So keep those little legs warm and make a few Super Simple Leggings to give as a gift.

There are several more ideas in my Tutorial Project Category List……but this was just a list of most of my favorites.

I hope that’s helpful.

-Enjoy

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Baby, Featured, Gift Ideas, Sewing

Comments

34 Responses to “20+ Handmade Baby Gift Ideas”
    Jodi says:

Oh Ashley, seeing your babies is making me baby hungry….. and I’m way too old for that! Love you!

Heather says:

Love this post! Will be bookmarking it for sure!

Tara says:

Thank you for the heads-up on the Pick Your Plum buttons. I just ordered mine to use with a knitted baby sweater and can’t wait!

Sue S says:

Thanks for the great ideas! I am “Grammy Sue” to my granddaughter, Avery (we call her The Doodle), and I hope to make her some of these things and also some for her baby brother who is due in August. So many fun and useful ideas!

Regina says:

Wow! Thanks for all the great idea’s!

Bubbles says:

Oh my gosh, SO adorable! :) The turtles and the truck are my favourites! :D

denise says:

Gracias siempre gracias por compartir estas bonitas ideas con todos
    un beso

Emma says:

SUPER cute stuff. I have a baby sister I would love to make all this stuff for.

Carolyn says:

This is absolutely great, but I want to know when you’re going to come out with a book!! I think that would be fabulous, not to mention it’s a super-convenient way to organize all the cute projects that stem from your creative genius! (: (esp. since I started to follow this blog a little late in the game). I’m sure it’s no easy task, what with a successful blog/3 kids to raise/husband/church, but will you publish a book? Pretty please? (:

Melissa says:

Yes that would be great! again with such a fantastic blog, people are sure to buy it, do consider it, i would love to have all your ideas in one place!

Haha…….how sweet are you! And maybe, just maybe ((wink, wink)), that little plea of your may come true. More info on that to come! :) (I know…..teasers are dirty and rotten. That’s why I haven’t said anything on the blog. But I couldn’t help but do it here. Ha!)

-Ashley

So many great projects. Thank you!

Melissa says:

I hate how you have not posted anything in 5 days, i love coming back everyday to check if you have updated your blog , i really enjoying reading through your posts, your creations give me inspiration for my own ideas. Thanks so much. I hope you’re doing well with house decorating, so much fun seeing the house slowly become your own,
    take care,
    Melissa

Oh gosh, yep……we’ve been re-decorating. And painting. And doing some demo. But I posted a little about that today. Things are calming down, slowly. So I should be back to normal pretty soon. I miss this ol’ blog when I have other chaos filling my time. :)

Julia says:

Wow, Ashley! You’ve got some great ideas. These are perfect, cute crafts for moms with some time to spare while their little one is napping. Also great for baby shower gifts! Love the leggings and little guy tie!

Very Interesting.Thanks for sharing the ideas.

Lindop says:

A pacifier pocket, love it, what I fantastic idea. This will save the tip from attracting dust and crumbs. I’m off to create one now.

This is completely nice, however i need to grasp once you’re attending to embark with a book!! i believe that may be fabulous, to not mention it’s a super-convenient thanks to organize all the lovable comes that stem from your inventive genius!

sara says:

Thanks for sharing information about gift ideas.

Birthday gift ideas

These handmade gifts make the most perfect, unusual baby gifts. Creating handmade gifts for babies is the sweetest way of gifting the little ones. Got great ideas from this post.

Such fabulous ideas and lots of things we would happily stock at http://www.thesmallestsheep.co.uk – I worry about the safety testing though. Do all home crafters think about safety especially if they sell on to others at craft fairs and on social networks?

Maple says:

Awesome ideas, especially like the wearable blanket

Maple says:

Would love to link this article to my website: http://www.aguidetogifts.com

Sheryl says:

What great ideas! I especially love the detail on the felt hair clips.

OH MY ! Can i just say i think i fell in love with a lot of the products above. From the ruffled baby diaper covers to the flower sandals and even the pacifier pocket ! seriously they are just adorable ! How can such cute things exist !

I love these gifts, I am partial to handmade gifts anyway ;) . I do love the Ruffled Diaper Covers and the Wool Felt Hair Accessories and Felt Toy Truck. Thanks for this list.

I think handmade gifts are a lot more personal than bought gifts. As a lot of thought and care has gone into the gift process. Especially gifts that can be kept for years upon years like blankets and cups etc.

Oh my goodness, those personalised buttons are just adorable ! I also loving those ties ! The prints are gorgeous !
    Who knew you could get so many gorgeous presents all hand made. Thank you.

Molie says:

Oh wow these baby gift ideas are just awesome.. Thanks for sharing such fabulous gifts with us.. Waiting for your next share.. Keep updating with other gifts too..