Full Skirts with Trimmed Tulle peeking out

Even though time hasn’t been on my team lately, I decided to hurry and make a little something for the kiddos for Easter Sunday.

One of my most favorite memories as a child is going to the fabric store with my mom every spring, picking out a pattern, deciding on fabric and notions, and then watching as she constructed a new Easter dress for me.  And as I got older, she started letting me cut out the pattern pieces and sewing simple lines.  I always thought it was so cool that a wearable item would evolve from that stack of random fabrics.

And because that memory is such a sweet one, I just couldn’t skip out on that for my kiddos this year.  Hectic or not. :)

So……I made both Elli and Chloe some fluffy skirts with a bit of trimmed tulle poking out.

full skirt with trimmed tulle

And not just a little bit of trim……..LOTS of it!

IMG_9970

They are different prints……but I used the exact same method for each one.  And both of these little girlies were happy to try them on……but not so happy to take them off and save them for Sunday.  Only a few more days little ladies…

fabric and tulle skirts

And in case you’re worried about itchy tulle……..there’s some lining underneath to keep the tulle away from their skin.

IMG_9998

IMG_0362

Now the kiddos are ready for Easter.  New skirts for the girls and a NEW TIE for Connor.  Yeah, he gets the same thing every year, pretty much.  But this kid LOVES new ties……so it works out.  (I made the tie using the Lil’ Guy Tie Pattern)

IMG_0195-1

IMG_0188

Ahhhhhh, spring is here!  I love LOVE this time of year.  And even though the outdoor colors haven’t quite turned vibrant, the girls skirts have certainly made up for it.

full skirt with tulle

Oh, these kids…  I thoroughly enjoy sewing for them.  (And I LOVE even more, watching their nutty little personalities bloom.)

IMG_0197-1

Whew, completed just in time.  I’m glad the tradition of homemade Easter clothes lives on. :)

IMG_9936

IMG_0259-1

***And yes, I whacked Elli’s hair off.  Once the weather starts getting warmer, she always complains about anything on her neck…..and begs me to cut her hair.  Well, this time it’s an A-line…..so it’s even shorter in the back.  Success. :)

Would you like to give these Trimmed Tulle Skirts a try??

Let’s get started.

SUPPLIES:

• Cotton Fabric (amount varies on the size you’re making…….but for a size 6, I used a 1/2 yard of fabric that was 45 inches wide.)
  • Cotton Lining Fabric…..something thin and light (just about the same amount as the outer fabric)
  • Tulle Netting (I used the large hole variety…..but any would work)
  • Bias Tape (I used 1/2 inch wide, double fold…..but 1/4 inch wide, double fold would also work…….you can also make your own bias tape)
  • 1 inch wide Elastic
  • Coordinating Thread

First of all, it’s time to determine the measurements to cut your fabric pieces.  So measure your subject’s waist.  Then decide how long you’d like the skirt to be.

For the outer fabric piece, you’ll double the waist size for the width measurement and then add 2 inches to the length measurement.

For the lining piece, you’ll want it to be the same width as the outer fabric…….but just don’t add on those 2 extra inches to the height.

For the Tulle piece, you’ll multiply the waist measurement by 4 for the width measurement and divide the desired skirt length by 2 for the height measurement.  (If you have to sew pieces together to get a piece that’s long enough, that’s okay.  You won’t be able to really tell once it’s all gathered up.  ALSO, it’s okay to round your numbers if you end up with 6.25 or something.  You don’t have to keep the tulle piece exact…..these measurements are just a guideline.)

cutting guide

For example:  Elli’s waist is 21 inches and I wanted the skirt to be 13.5 inches long.  So, I doubled the waist size to 42 and then added 2 inches to the length, making it 15.5 inches.  So I needed a piece of outer fabric cut at 42 in. wide x 15.5 in.  For the lining fabric, I cut a piece that was 42 in. x 13.5 in.  And for the Tulle piece, I cut a piece that was 84 in. x 6.75 in.  Well, as I mentioned above….you don’t have to be super exact with the tulle, so I cut it 84 x 7 inches.  (Also, if this helps……Elli wears a size 6 in girls.  And Chloe wears a size 2T and I cut her outer fabric at 40 in. x 11.5 in., her lining fabric at 40 in. x 9.5 in., and her tulle fabric at 80 x 5 inches.

Then, I sewed the outer strip of fabric into a tube by folding it in half, width-wise (with right sides together) and matched up the two shorter ends.  I sewed them together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance and then serged (or you can zig-zag) the raw edges.  I did the same thing with the lining piece.

IMG_9786

Then, grab the outer fabric and lets finish off the hem.  To do so, turn the bottom edge under a half inch (iron flat), then fold up another 1 inch (iron flat).  Then sew in place.

IMG_9794

Then, zig-zag (or serge) all the way around the bottom edge of the lining piece.  (No need to fold it up and hem it……but if you’d rather, you’ll need to add more length to your lining dimension.

IMG_9790

If you place the lining fabric on top of your outer fabric, your lining should be about a 1/2 inch shorter.

IMG_9803

Now, set those aside and grab your tulle strip (remember, if you need to sew pieces together to have a strip long enough, that’s okay).  Sew the tulle into a tube, the same way as your fabric pieces above.  And to sew tulle together, I always sew two lines of a straight stitches, then trim the edges.

IMG_9766

Then, sandwich your bias tape around the bottom edge of your tulle and sew the bias tape closed (just be sure the tulle edge is in between those two folds of bias tape).

IMG_9746

Once you sew all the way around your circle piece of tulle, cut off the extra bias tape, about an inch and a half past where you started sewing.  Open up the bias tape and fold the end towards the inside.

IMG_9755

Then sandwich it back around the tulle and sew all the way past the end of the bias tape.

IMG_9757

Now you have a nice circle piece of tulle with bias tape trimming all the way around the bottom.

IMG_9776

Now, you need to gather in your tulle.  To do so, make 2 basting stitches along the top edge of the tulle, a 1/2 inch from the upper edge.  Make one of the basting stitches along the front half of the the tulle and the other basting stitch along the back side.  Just be sure to leave long tails at both ends of each basting stitch, so that you can pull them in to create gather.  (More info on gathering fabric here.)  Pin the tulle all the way around the RIGHT SIDE of the lining……..measuring the bottom edge (where the bias tape is) about 1.5 inches past the lining.  And because tulle is kinda finicky, you may have to measure every few inches or so.  Your top edge (where the pins are) may not be exactly even……but don’t worry about that.  Just measure so that the bottom bias tape edge is evenly spaced below the lining…….and then it will hang evenly below the hem of the skirt after it’s on your subject.

IMG_9806

Then, stitch those gathers in place, sewing right on top of the basting stitch…..all the way around the bottom of the lining.

IMG_9831

Now, turn the outer skirt fabric inside OUT and the lining inside OUT as well.

IMG_9833

Then, slide the lining inside of the outer fabric…..

IMG_9837

…..until the top edge of both fabrics are lined up.  Also, line up the side seam of both fabrics.  This will go in the back.

IMG_9842

Then, pin the outer fabric to the lining fabric, all the way around the top edge.  Then, sew all the way around this top edge, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

IMG_9847

Now, turn the skirt right side out, with the lining on the inside of the skirt.  Then iron the top edge flat.  Sew all the way around the top edge, 1.25 inches from the top edge.

IMG_9849

But be sure and leave about a 2 inch opening at the back of the skirt.

IMG_9860

Then, lift up the outer fabric and find that little opening that you left open.

IMG_9867

And then measure a piece of 1 inch wide elastic that is exactly the measurement of your subject’s waist…….and then attach a safety pin and feed it through this casing that you just created.

IMG_9872

Overlap the ends by 1 inch and then sew in place.

IMG_9877

Even out the waist band and allow the elastic to evenly space itself all the way around the casing.  Then, stitch the opening closed….making sure to back-stitch at both ends.

IMG_9882

*****HELPFUL TIP:  To get the skirt to lay flat and look more polished…….lift up the skirt and gently steam the tulle a bit with a hot iron (don’t press down……just slide it along it).  Also, don’t hold it there for too long or you could melt the tulle.  Do this all the way around the tulle section…..and it will really help it look a lot nicer.  Also, do the same thing to the waistband of the skirt.  Press the waistband flat and then lift the iron as you slide it down some of the gathers.  It just helps it look a little less homemade.  Try it!

IMG_9936

And that’s it.  Our little Easter skirts are complete.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Comments

63 Responses to “Full Skirts with Trimmed Tulle peeking out”
    Ann says:

Good tip on the steam iron! I love how your *kids* look like the bright flowers in the garden. I’m getting excited about Easter too! Easter sewing, while the snow’s still on the ground and the world is still grey, is so hopeful.

Katie says:

How adorable!! your children are so lucky to have such a talented mommy. oh and did Ellie have a haircut, her hair looks different for some reason, but still very beautiful ;)

Anshu says:

Ashley,
    Thank goodness you posted this. This tulle thing has always tripped me, I kept wondering how to add tulle to the dresses, it looks so good but I just couldn’t figure out how on my own. I have to try this today!
    Also the bias tape trim was your unique twist and it really makes the tulle pop.
    What a fun skirt!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Anshu

Erin says:

Your creations, especially the kids, are adorable!

Jen says:

Beautiful! I love the fabrics, especially the one on the right with the leaves/branches. Mind sharing which fabric that is? Thanks!

Savannah says:

These are so cute! Do you just use regular quilting cotton? Or lighter weight?

Sheena says:

Super cute! I made my daughter a skirt out of tulle the other day and it turned out really cute but washing tulle it seems to always mess up. How do you wash them is there a secret?

Karen says:

These are adorable and your tutorial was awesome. I think I might try to do this for my grandaughters. I have 2 questions. 1) Does the thule end up being between the lining and the out skirt portion? 2) After you run your elastic through the opening and you are going to stitch the opening closed. Do you have to be careful NOT to stitch the elastic to the skirt?

Thanks for the tute

Hi Karen!
      1. Yes, the tulle is in between.
      2. And yes, try to be careful to not sew through it but if you do, it’s not really going to hurt it. It will still stretch.

Hope that helps!

jennie says:

SO cute!!! I am going to make some right away!!

Melanie says:

So cute, I love the bias tape on the edge of the netting! SO cute. Like it is floating below the skirt line! I just posted one of my girls’ skirts today- tulle and bias tape included :) Great minds!

Charity says:

Those are so cute! Love how ruffly the tulle is. =)

Janeen G says:

Well done, Ashley! They look great! And your kids are soooo very cute, as always!

Melissa K. says:

They all look adorable! I wish I could whip some of these up, but I’m not good enough at sewing to make something like this before Easter for my girls. Thanks for the inspiration, though! :)

Kate says:

oh wow they’re cute!!! (your kids! but the skirts too ;) )

I stumbled across your blog today when trying to find a tutorial for a car seat cover (your’s is awesome by the way) and I am so thrilled to have found your blog! I have been browsing all day and I am so impressed with how thorough your tutorials are. As a “self taught” sewer sometimes I dont always do things the “right” way so its great to see some basic tutorials as well as some other fun ones! I will definitely be trying some of your awesome projects!

Kristin says:

Love love love the addition of trimmed tulle at the bottom! Can’t wait to add it to a dress I’m making for a friend’s daughter. (I have two boys–good thing I have plenty of friends with girls to try out stuff like this!!) Super cute!

Julianne says:

Beautiful, as usual! Connor looks great, too. I have four boys; so I was wondering…where did you get his clothes (aside from the cute tie)?

Hmmmm…..probably Target. Just a white collared button-up and some flat front khaki’s. They’re make him look so handsome with his tie! :)

Leigh Ann says:

I LOVE these! I’ve never seen anyone put bias tape on toile! I can’t wait to try these!

Stephanie says:

Love this idea! I am making my daughter some skirts right now….will have to do this with one of them!

Sara says:

Super Cute!! I love this idea of adding to a basic skirt – I’m pining and will def. be doing this. Thanks for sharing! :)

Catherine says:

Abolutely Lovely I just pinned them.

Darla says:

I am working on skirts for my girls for Easter, too. I made my teenager a white skirt using your Lily pattern and the Breezy skirt idea. I used white lace at the bottom so she has a white skirt that goes with everything but isn’t totally plain. I can’t wait to try the tulle idea for my five year old. I love your tutorials. Thanks for sharing.

Ela says:

Skirts are wonderful! I love those colors! :) I made only once skirts for my doughters but when i watch your page, I try again :)

Linda says:

I made2 of them today! The second one took only an hour because I had the process down! Thanks”

Kristina Noall says:

I’m just storing all of these great ideas up for when I have a girl. (Actually, I recently thought I WAS going to have a girl, and I was kind of scared–”Where will I find the time to make all that cute stuff for her??” :))

Natalie says:

These look adorable, my daughter will love one of these – thanks for sharing

Rebecca Pomper says:

So cute! Can’t wait to make one of these for my daughter. You mentioned that when you were a child your mom let you sew some of simpler parts of the sewing projects. My little girl just turned 5 and really wants to learn to sew. Any recommendations on some easy starter projects she could help me with?

Tulisa says:

Nice! I have only just got into sewing its so much fun but I’m not at that stage just yet, hopefully I’ll get there soon. Wish me luck!

Tamara says:

Wow, I am a beginner and of course decided to start my first real skirt project here…and it worked!!! I’m so excited!! She wants to wear it to bed!! Thanks for your clear instructions and references back to basics for us newbies!!! Brilliant!!

Tulisa says:

Tamara, I’m a newbie too. I think I’m going to give it a go probably later this week when i get some free time

Brianna says:

Where was this tutorial 4 months ago? I attempted a skirt for Christmas…it was cute, but man I couldn’t figure out the tulle/lining thing. I gave up on the lining and just sewed a strip of tulle to the bottom of the skirt…it kind of work. Also, it says full skirt. Full as in twirls well or full as in lots of tulle? My daughter likes the twirly skirts…and I never make them! Thanks!

Sarah Burgoyne says:

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! I have four daughters and really wanted them all to match for Easter. I was feeling adventurous (I’m more of a crafty sewer then a clothing sewer) and decided to make your skirt. In two days I had three skirts and a dress (for my 8 month old). You explained everything so well and the photos were really helpful. Thanks again! Here’s a link in case you are interested (my blog is nothing fancy, just to keep the grandparents informed): http://theburgoynefiles.blogspot.com/2013/04/easter-finest.html

Jenn says:

Thank you!!! This the first project I have tackled in an over 9-year absence of sewing clothes. And it’s ADORABLE! My daughter is so thrilled! Thanks for being so clear on the directions and including a lot of pictures. Now I feel brave enough to make a skirt for each of my other two daughters too!

Loriana says:

Lovely girls, lovely skirts! Thanks for the tutorial, I made one skirt for my daughter last night, following exactly your steps, and it was so easy…
    I will be posting the skirt on my blog, linking to your tutorial, I hope it’s ok :)

erin says:

I love how you write your instructions! I read SEVERAL sewing and craft blogs, and for some reason the way you explain things works so much better with my brain :) I can’t wait to use my sewing machine for more than curtains and pillow cases now, haha. I am sure my two little girls will love it too! Planning a trip to the fabric store :D THANK YOU!!!

Jerri says:

Made one today for my Great Niece’s birthday.

Jerri says:

Made one for my Great Niece today.

Michelle says:

Ashley, THANK YOU! This is a beautiful tutorial – I just finished the first of probably several because I love the look so much. I made it in a 21wale cord and lined in a cotton lawn – so soft and lovely for fall!

Two modifications your readers might be interested in – first I applied the tulle wrong side to the wrong side of the lining, then proceeded exactly as per tutorial. When it comes time to sewing the lining and exterior together at the waist, I put right sides together then sew the upper edge. That way, when you turn the skirt lining back inside and exterior out, the inside is completely finished with no raw edges showing, and the tulle still lies between the lining and exterior fabric. Just my preference for adding linings :). The other small thing I did was edge-stitch the lining after pressing the sewn waist seam flat (before sewing the casing lining down). It helped it lie and press better.

Overall I absolutely adore the finished product – something you would buy in a boutique!! Thanks again!!

Blasa says:

Would ribbon work instead of the bias tape?

Jiita says:

The skirts ase soooo beautiful!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Ashley from Make It and Love It shows how to make a girl’s twirly skirt with a layer of tulle peeking out from the hem.  She finishes the edge of the tulle with colorful bias tape so it’s sure to be seen.  Go to her blog for the tutorial. [...]

2. [...] Ashley from Make It and Love It shows how to make a girl’s twirly skirt with a layer of tulle peeking out from the hem.  She finishes the edge of the tulle with colorful bias tape so it’s sure to be seen.  Go to her blog for the tutorial. [...]

3. [...] Skirts with Trimmed Tulle peeking out, Make It & Love It This might be a kid’s skirt, but I would totally make this in my size and wear [...]

4. [...] Full skirt with trimmed tulle peeking out [...]

5. […] it.  The polka dot fabric came from Isabella’s great-grandmother’s stash.  We used this tutorial from Make It-Love It for the skirt.  A couple of black buttons on the waistband were the finishing […]