Elmo Cupcakes……you know you want one! :)

Last day to enter my random little GIVEAWAY of sewing/crafting supplies? (closes tonight at midnight MST)  I really had a lot of  fun grabbing a few extra things while shopping at Joann’s the other day.  And now, 3 of you will win some loot! (anyone can enter, from any country!) -Ashley

. . . . .

Each of my children have loved Elmo around the ages of 1 and 2.  Well, and ages 3, 4, 5, and 6 as well.  But not as much as ages 1 and 2.  He’s furry and friendly and that high pitched voice somehow entrances the littlest of ears.  And haha, you gotta admit, he even makes adults smile at times.  Oh, the things he says…

It IS kinda funny.  (Or maybe I’m somehow turning into a really wacko mom who begins enjoying baby shows. Help!)

Anyway, I wanted to make some birthday cupcakes (yes, for Chloe, my now 2-year-old!) over the weekend and while at the store, I hurried and googled Elmo Cupcakes on my phone.  This same type of Elmo cupcake that I’m sharing today, popped up all over the internet.  So maybe you’ve seen/made them…….17 times already.  I know, totally not rocket science but I have yet to find an actual tutorial for them, so I thought I’d show how simple they really are.  And how I spent my Saturday morning.  :)

elmo cupcakes3-1

These little guys came together really quickly……and as I placed each puffy white eyeball and round orange nose on his face, I smiled.  How could I not?!!

IMG_7349

What IS IT about this furry red guy?!?!

IMG_7480-1

Chloe was sweetly surprised with her favorite little monster atop her b-day cupcakes…..and she wanted them ALL!

elmo cupcakes2

I’m just glad that a 2 year old is easily pleased with an amateur cupcake design.

IMG_7509

And even more happy that Elmo’s quirky smile put a memorable grin on my now two-year-old’s face!

IMG_7390

Want the simple How-To??

First of all, you need bright red frosting.  You can buy pre-mixed red frosting at the store but have you ever tried that stuff?  It’s gross.  So, I bought some cherry flavored Duncan Hines frosting (which my mom says tastes terrible…..ha!) and added red food coloring gel to it.  And I picked cherry flavored frosting because it was already pink…..and knew that I’d have to use less food coloring to get the bright red that I wanted.

red frosting

Then, I grabbed my frosting tip that had all the little holes in it.  Yeah, I’m no baker, so I have no clue what that little tip is called but it looks like a mini pasta extractor. :)  Whatever it’s called, it makes really great Elmo fur.  So start squeezing little bits of “hairy” frosting all over the cupcake.

frost cupcake

Done.

IMG_7297

Then, cut a large marshmallow in half with kitchen scissors and then reshape it with your fingers.

marshmallows

For the mouth, I used one side of an Oreo.  I have seen people use black frosting too……but the Oreo gives the mouth a nice crisp shape.  Now, I found that cutting the Oreo half directly in half was too large.  So cut off less than half for each mouth, using a serrated knife and sawing it slowly back and forth.  (You should be able to get 2 mouths from each Oreo half.)

oreos

Then, assemble each Elmo face.  Place the marshmallows sticky side down and for the nose, I used a Peanut Butter M&Ms.  Orange gumballs would be fun too.  For the eyes, I placed a bit of white frosting on the back of brown regular M&M’s and placed them onto each marshmallow.

elmo eyes

And there you have it.  Sweet little Elmo faces, ready to be enjoyed by young and old! :)

IMG_7370

****TIPS: Cut all the marshmallows and Oreos first, before frosting the cupcakes with the elmo fur.  You don’t want the red fur to melt or get droopy while you’re doing the cutting.  ALSO, after assembling each Elmo, I placed it in the fridge, just to help set up the frosting so it would stay furry looking and not melt together.  HOWEVER, if you’re using better frosting than the store bought (from a tub) you may not have any issues if you adjust your frosting consistency.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Comments

27 Responses to “Elmo Cupcakes……you know you want one! :)”
    Kendra says:

Aw, Happy Birthday, Chloe! They turned out so cute! I love it. We have a Tickle-Me-Elmo for our little girl (just turned 2 on Feb 21st) and she’s terrified of it. She’s a big fan of Spongebob instead, probably a side effect of big brother and sister loving him too ;)

I remember we bough a tickle me elmo for Elli when she turned 2 (4 years ago) and she hated it too. Ha! It’s too intimidating. So we bought Chloe a plain old stuffed one for Christmas and she sleeps with it every night. 2 year old’s and their Elmo’s…..funny! :)

Leigh Anne says:

Nice job! They are just too cute! I have several Elmo lovers here too :) We have a 2yo birthday girl in 1 month and she would love these…..pinning for later….thx Ashley!

carlie says:

haha what lovely cupcakes, happy birthday to Chloe! its okay i like to watch baby shows too! they’re so cute and funny, lol, no one understands these days :)

skitello says:

they are so funny and cute, good job

Maria says:

Love these! They are the cutest and easiest Elmo cupcakes I’ve seen. And yes – all my kids have loved Elmo at age 2, so they have all had Elmo themed 2nd birthday parties! I’ve done cakes, but I think I must try these next year for my youngest! Seriously – why didn’t I think of marshmallows, Oreos and M&Ms? Genius!

Amna says:

Happy birthday Cloe .. I am a March baby too :) lucky us

Rosie says:

Wilton makes a “No Taste Red” food coloring, becuase you’re right: Red food dye tastes nasty in large quantities. Thats what I don’t like Red Velvet cake…

Happy birthday baby Chloe!

That must be why those tubes of red frosting are gross! :) And I used Wilton food dye gel to dye my frosting but it wasn’t “no taste” but I couldn’t taste anything weird. But the frosting was cherry flavor……so that’s probably why. Good to know that’s out there though. :)

-Ashley

Amy says:

I think learning to like little kid’s shows is more of a motherhood survival trait than anything wacko. :) What an adorable idea! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything on your site that I didn’t immediately think was super cute – you have such incredible skills!

Kate says:

I JUST searched your blog for Elmo last week! My one year old is completely obsessed… calls him “lala” (because of the Elmo’s World theme song) and points to the remote all day. After looking at your monster pillow post I’m going to try to make an Elmo one!

RaD says:

Hmmm…. If I were a fan of Elmo these would be awesome. BUT I could see cookie monster coming together from this ingenious idea!

Soooo… How many oreo cookie middle pieces did you eat whilst you assembled these fun little cakes?

Leslie says:

It looks so good !!!
    I wanna try !!

Kisses from France <3

Stephanie P. says:

We made Elmo cupcakes for my daughter’s 2nd birthday as well. But despite using an entire bottle of red food coloring – it was still coral colored so we ended up dipping the cupcakes in red sugar and it worked out great!

lisa says:

These were on my list for my son’s 2nd birthday party too! Thanks for all the extra tips with them too. Always helps!

Also, I’ve heard you need WAY more frosting than you would expect. Did you think that too?

Yeah, it takes a little bit more…..but I used one can of store bought frosting (you know, the small plastic containers by the cake mixes) and that frosted about 16 Elmo cupcakes. That was plenty for us. Also, it’ll depend on how “hairy” you make your Elmo’s. But grab extra just in case??

Good luck!

Maggie Avrit says:

Those are just darling. And it’s a real shame that you probably had to eat the middle out of all those cookies!!

Sue says:

Happy Birthday Girls!
    Love Elmo!

Mindy says:

I’ve tried making monster cupcakes like this, and my frosting totally DID melt everywhere! wah wah. These look amazing though, god job!

Xaviors mommy says:

Today’s my lil mans 2nd birthday and i will be giving this idea a spin…wish me luck!Happy Birthday Xavior

The tip is called a “multi-opening decorating tip #234.” Wilton makes them for about $2.00

Very cute!

webpage says:

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand
    your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent.

I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great site.

Angela says:

Soo sweet!! This will be the next idea for one of my girls’ birthday! Angela Butler – Clarksville, TN Photographer

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] gifts, it was time for the Elmo Cupcake reveal.  Remember how I shared them earlier this [...]