Adding Hidden Side Pockets to Anything (skirt, pants, shorts, etc.)

A friend asked me a few weeks ago how to add side pockets into a skirt that she had. I tried explaining in words…..but I could tell the verbal explanation just wasn’t making sense. It was sounding way more complicated than it needed to be.  I could see that if I had fabric in my hands to show her, she’d be able to see just how simple it really was.

So, I figured there may be others out there as well, who would like to see the simplicity of adding in basic side-seam pockets.  Because really, you’ll love how easy they really are.

IMG_9635

You’re going to especially LOVE this if you’re one who feels lost without a simple little pocket to drop in some chapstick, a few tissues, or maybe a cell phone.

adding pockets

Elli didn’t really NEED pockets in this skirt (she’s not necessarily a “pocket” kinda girl) but it was just easier to show you in small form.  (And she has like 39 skirts to choose from, haha……..so it was easier this way.)

IMG_9680

But then, Elli decided she liked having a place to put her little hands.  And her “treasures”.  (Because the only other pockets are on her jeans…….and she said those are “too tight” on her hands.)  And, HA, now she likes pockets………go figure. ;)

add pockets

As long as your skirt, pants, shorts, capri’s, culotte’s, gauchos (are you catching my drift??) have side seams, you can add in these simple set of pockets in NO TIME AT ALL!

IMG_9606

Ready to insert a pair of pockets??

First of all, cut out a piece of paper that will serve as your pattern piece that is in a pocket shape.  Remember, the bottom of the shape falls down deeper, to keep stuff down in there……..while the top part is angled down and out of the way.  It’s kind of like a tear drop shape with a straight side.  Or you could make it square at the bottom….both work.  If you have a hard time eyeballing a shape and making it work, try tracing around a pocket in an existing skirt/pants.

Then, lay your pattern piece down on your skirt/pants and see if it looks like the right size.  It may also help to try on your article of clothing and the place the pocket pattern piece in position and imagine sliding your hand down in there.  Is it big enough?  Too big?  Wide enough?  Etc.?  Adjust if needed.

IMG_9441

Then fold your fabric in half (so that wrong sides are together, or right side together….doesn’t matter which) and cut around your pattern piece, adding a 1/4 inch all the way around (for seam allowance).

IMG_9453

Then you should have 2 identical pieces that are mirror image to each other.  This will be enough for one pocket.  Repeat and cut out 2 more for your other pocket.

IMG_9456

Then, hold our pattern piece up to your skirt/pants and decide where you want your pocket to be.  (Ooops, my pattern piece is upside down in the photo but I just needed the length of that straight edge.)  Then place pins at the top and bottom of that straight edge…..to mark where your pocket will sit.  (Trying on your clothing may help with determining placement as well.)

IMG_9462

Use a seam ripper to pick open the seam between the two pins.

IMG_9492

Adjust your pins so that they’re out of the way (but still marking the top and bottom of pocket placement) and continue ripping open the seam a bit past each pin.  You’ll need some room to insert those pockets, so maybe up to an inch past each pin?  Whatever works best.  (And keep those pins in there so you’ll know right where to place those pockets.)

IMG_9495

Now, turn the skirt inside out and place the “right” side of one of the pocket pieces down and line up the straight edge with the side seam you just opened up.  See how the pocket is laying over on the right side of the opening?  But it’s actually lining up with the opened edge of the fabric from the left side??  (Use the pics below to determine which pocket piece to attach to which side.  That can get a little confusing…..but hopefully the pics will help.)

IMG_9498-1

The fabrics are pinned together with right sides together and the pocket is centered between those two pins that you first placed there to mark placement.  See that?

IMG_9506

Here’s another peek if you lift up the pocket piece.

IMG_9502

Now, sew the pocket to the skirt, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  However, if your side seam was more or less, you won’t use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Just match whatever your skirt/pants has……so that the side seams will match up correctly once the pocket is in.  (I forgot to do this and had to go back and do it later…….but zig-zag these raw edge together.)

IMG_9518

Then repeat with the other half of the pocket……inserting it on the other side seam opening.  Just be sure that the top and bottom of each pocket piece are lined up with each other.  (And again, zig-zag the raw edges of where you sewed the pocket to the skirt, just like I mentioned above…….but forgot to do myself.)

IMG_9525

Then, press the two pocket pieces together matching them up evenly.  Starting at the top of the pocket, line up the pocket pieces, right at the top where the seams are where they were attached to the skirt.  Pin in place.  (This just holds them together evenly……if you don’t need the pin, skip it.)

IMG_9531

Then, fold up the side seams of the skirt, over the pocket.  Make sure they’re flapped up on both sides.

IMG_9532

Keep it pinched in place and then slide out the pin that was there in the last step and then re-insert it so that it now holds the pockets nice and even AND keeps the flaps up from the fabric from the skirt.

IMG_9534

Then, do the same thing at the other end of the pocket pieces where they meet the skirts’ side seam.  And then add pins all the way around the pocket pieces…….keeping them together evenly.

IMG_9536

Now, start above the pocket (left side of pic below), and ABOVE where you ripped open the seam and back-stitch a few times to re-secure that side seam.  Then begin sewing right along where that side seam was (and use the same seam allowance) and then begin sewing past where the pocket begins, by a 1/4 inch.  Then keep your needle down, lift up your presser foot, adjust your fabric, and then begin sewing all the way around the pocket……using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Do the same thing at the other end……sewing past the point where you opened up the side seam and back-stitch several times to secure it closed.  Then, zig-zag around the pocket edges to keep them from fraying.

IMG_9548

Now, turn your skirt/pants right side out and iron flat……..making this pocket more or less, invisible.

IMG_9579

Done.

That wasn’t too bad, was it?  Now go and add pockets to whatever you’d like.

Good luck!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing, Sewing Tips, Women's Clothing

Comments

61 Responses to “Adding Hidden Side Pockets to Anything (skirt, pants, shorts, etc.)”
    fitri says:

Hi Ashley, thank you for the tutorial – cant wait to make for my daughter. I love your grey polkadot fabrics , may I know where you get those ? I live in Midwest :)

Tiffany says:

Awesome!!! Thanks!! I love that skirt! I need to learn to make one like it. All I know so far is the elastic waist kind.

I don’t sew, but I tell you–I’m a HUGE fan of hidden pockets! I have 7 months pregnant for my BFF’s wedding and our bridesmaid’s dresses had hidden pockets–it was amazing! That was by far my favorite dress–too bad it was 5 sizes bigger than I normally wear thanks to my little guy, but it was all because of the pockets! Seriously–it came down to 2 dresses and another bridesmaid and I were like “look–these have pockets–how cool is that–this is THE dress!”
    What fun!
    Cindy

Alice S. says:

Super cool tute! Love the pink contrasting fabric with the grey. Getting ready to make some summer shorts, skirts and gauchos for my girls and might try the pocket on some of those. Also wanting to try a skirt with a waistband (without elastic) and a [gasp] buttonhole! For some reason, that seems like it’ll be so hard. Do you have a tutorial for buttonholes, or is it so easy to do? P.S. A friend and I are getting together on Monday to make your zipper pillows.

These pockets would be even easier to add in if you’re making the garment yourself :-)

I was just doing this yesterday for a pair of shorts for one of my boys! I did pretty much everything wrong! lol Wish I had have seen this before I started. Would have made life much easier. :-) Great explanation!!

Tatiana says:

Very useful lesson. Now sew pants for my daughter, she loves pockets ^ _ ^

Emily says:

Love the contrasting fabric you chose. Great tutorial! Did you make the skirt too?

nisha says:

Wow… that was so amazingly simple. Thankyou for the tut !

Kristina Noall says:

How do you do that?? I have totally wondered how to add pockets like this, and was SO excited to read this post! (Seriously, when I was nine months pregnant and wearing my husband’s pajama pants, I was going, “So unfair! Why can’t women’s pants have pockets like these?!”) You rock, as usual. :)

Kelly says:

Funny that you posted this today, because I just added pockets to some pants this same way. But do you know how to get them to stay pointing forward? Mine keep pointing to the back even though I sewed them to the front seam allowances to avoid that… If you have tips for that I’d appreciate it!

Hana Maroo says:

Hey ashley.. thanks!!! i’m gonna do it for myself. it’s easy n nice. cheers

great tutorial, definately going to try that!

Aly says:

Thank you so much! My husband wears scrubs at work and has a couple pairs that dont have pockets in the pants. Since he doesn’t carry anything to put his wallet and keys in he hates to wear those. Now he wont have to complain about those anymore.

Brittany K. says:

I can’t wait to try this!! It’s really simple and straightforward, but it’s still nice to have a guide to all the little things (placement, direction, where to sew, etc.) that can go wrong along the way. Thanks for laying it all out!

Tabitha says:

Wow, this is so much simpler than I was making it. Next step: pockets everywhere! (If by koolots you mean those flowy skirtlike shorts, though, it’s spelled “culottes”. Not that the spelling makes them any less of a target for this tutorial!)

Ha…….I had no idea how to spell it. I just typed Koolots into google to see if some sort of spelling would come up and my spelling came up with a definition. So I thought, “Hot Dog! I actually spelled it right!” Ha……..but thanks, I’ll go and change that!! :) -Ashley

Heidi says:

This is a super great tutorial…thanks so much for sharing! I’ve been sewing a few skirts this week…now I need to add some pockets.

Melissa R. says:

Oh my gosh this was SO helpful! Thank you for taking the time to post this!

Jacquelyn says:

This would be so super cute on some shirts too! And EVERY DRESS I own…I LOVE pockets, I’m the one who is so excited for like a week when I discover a dress I’m wearing has them lol!

Thanks for the tutorial, I’m self taught & not good at all…but I might even be able to do this!

Emily says:

I used this in my first project adding pockets and can’t wait to add pockets to every item I can. Great tutorial!!!!

u’re fabulous at explaining both, complicated and simple things. thank you.

ruby says:

Ashley love this tutorial, so happy I found it. Been wanting to know how to add pockets!!!

Kristina Noall says:

I had to tell you–I did it!!! I just added a pocket to a white skirt that really needed a pocket, if you get my drift. I’m so proud of myself right now! Thanks for this! (And I love that you said “hot dog!” up there. You’re so cute. :))

Paige says:

Thanks this was really helpful today!

Nice

Alison says:

Thank you! My new favourite denim dress is now even better with its pockets.

Amy says:

I love all of your tutorials! They’re so easy to follow.

So I just made a skirt out of a maxi dress and decided to add pockets. I followed your instructions but I cut me pockets too small so I can’t out my hands in them! Haha. Thankfully, I only attached one. I will have to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for making sewing so easy! I’m very new to it!

Olivia Rosen says:

Hi,
    I love this skirt!! So cute! And the pockets are great! Could you do a tutorial for how to make this skirt (with or without pockets)?
    Thanks

Mary says:

My “how-to-add side pockets” search led me here. Perfect!!!!

Lauren C says:

Thank you so much! I always want pockets in all my dresses/skirts. Thank you for detailed description of how to do it!

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. I am making my daughter some pajama pants and this has given me the courage to try putting pockets in them. I hate that most women’s clothes don’t have any pockets!

Brandhyze says:

Thanks so much for this detailed tutorial…..I needed to see a visual because I want to add pockets to a shift dress I’m creating. Awesome job!

Best,
    Brandhyze

I had a pattern I loved but the directions were not there anymore. I hadnt sewed for me in years! I wanted pockets and could not even remember how to do them. I read a book and it was so confusing– so I thought go online! Theres always neat things on here to help! Wow, thanks to you I remember it all clearly now! Thank you so much for your time. I m sure it helps many even if they dont take time to thank you!!

K T says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I was working on a Goodwill upcycle and decided that my “new dress” needed pockets! Your tutorial was detailed and the pictures were very helpful. I’ll be a regular visitor in the future.

karen says:

Thank you so much! I was making a jacket for my granddaughter and I realized the jacket had no pockets and wanted to add some. They were so easy to insert.!

Jen says:

So my Brother in Law wants me to add pockets to a pair of shorts that don’t actually have a side seam to remove… what is you recommendation on what to do to be able to add the pockets? Do I just cut a slit?

jax says:

I would make patch pockets instead, something like a cargo pocket might work. Unless you want to try adding a welt pocket, but that is slightly more complicated.

Zanne says:

Thank you so much for the visuals! Hadn’t sewn in years, and couldn’t recall how this went.

Adding pockets into an item without seams (and therefore seam allowance to work with) will be a bit like adding a dart. If the item is loose enough, the pocket and top/bottom ‘darted’ areas around the pocket shouldn’t be a terrible issue.

Pocket might gap a bit more than one inserted at a seam, and the ‘dart’/angled pocket starts might change the fit more than expected. Mark the shorts while he is wearing them, so you know how big the pocket part of the slit needs to be, and then cut a good bit beyond in both directions.

It might fit/look better to simply add a seam in where you want the pocket, or a ‘dart’ that is from waist to past the bottom of the pocket, and work from there. (This is assuming it’s a really loose item.) I’ve done this in gathered full skirts and the ‘darts’ weren’t really all that visible.

jo says:

this was way more complicated than it really it

tunmise says:

Hello. I’m a new visitor to your site and you’ve already helped tremendously. I’d like to know if one can add pockets to a skirt that has no side seams. I just sewed a pleated skirt but put in no side seams, only a zipper at the back. Can I slit the sides of the skirt (if I iron the sides properly) and add pockets? Will it spoil the beauty of the skirt?

Mary says:

That’s a great tutorial. To sort of answer the questions about putting one of these pockets in a garment with no side seam….I’ve done that also. I recommend a strip of iron-on stabilizer (I used about 1 1/2″ wide) centered on the place you plan on cutting the slit. Other than that, it’s pretty much the same procedure.

zoe says:

Thank you for your tutorial, I’ve just used it to add pockets to my daughter’s new handmade coat I had finished when my little girl requested pockets. It’s easy to follow and has great photos.

Zoe xx

Michele R says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial! I am a beginner at sewing, and I was able to add pockets to three skirts following your terrific instructions and photos. I love pockets, so I really appreciate this!

Elizabeth says:

Thank you for this tutorial. It is really a lot easier then I thought. Can always use some extra pockets.

Laura Altes says:

Now, I’d like to see a tutorial on adding an “in the waistband” hidden slit style pocket to my slacks. I’ve purchased some from JCP that have this style pocket and it’s just perfect for hiding an iphone!. (and I’m lazy and I want someone else to make a cool tutorial about it!) Thanks for your pocket tutorial, it’s great!

Erin Smith says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I bought a skirt from the salvation army that just needs pockets =P This is a perfect explanation

Ellen says:

Great tutorial. It was so helpful with ALL the pictures. :) In Christ, Ellen

Barbara says:

My friend has a dirndl (German) skirt that does not have side seams. There are wide pleats that I thought I could slit to add a hidden pocket. What type of material should I use for the pocket? The skirt is black so I thought black for the pocket also.

mary says:

so many comments, didn’t think you needed another one, but here it is, great tutorial, thanks.
    Mary

ain says:

hey thanks for the tutorial…i would like to share it on my blog….i found this tuto really useful ^-^ ..well actually i want to add pocket to my trousers XDD

nia says:

i woud like to share it..thanks for great tutorial!!