Zippered Pillow Cover

Wow……what a week of sickies.  We have all been ill here in this house.  Except for Steve.  We need him to stay healthy…….and at work! :)  All 3 kids had a cold last week and then at the beginning of this week, I somehow was blasted with the body-aching, hot/cold flashing flu.  Then, one by one, each of the kiddos started getting fevers and joined in on the party.  And Steve?  He and his BFF bottle of hand-sanitizer are doing just fine!

Anyway, I had plans to put up the tutorial for recovering my re-upholstered chair project.  And also, the fabric dolls that won the vote.  But this bug that took over our house changed those plans.  Sorry about that.  I know some of you have been checking in to hopefully find those little dolls.  But I’ll put them up next week.  Deal?

But just for a little something to see…..and maybe a quick little project to work on, here’s a simple one that you can tackle in a snap.  Oh wait…..unless zippers freak you out.  But remember?  Zippers don’t have to be so scary.  And if you haven’t tried them yet (or haven’t tried them in a long while)…….just give it another whirl.  Seriously, try this zipper tutorial and just see what happens.  You may really surprise yourself.

And then, practice that new skill and whip up a quick little Zippered Pillow Cover.  (Which is great for taking on/off for cleaning, etc.)

And really, there are several ways to make a zippered pillow cover.  Invisible zippers, zippers along the back, zipper flaps, etc.  Especially ones that are much fancier.  But I made this in, oh, 15 minutes and didn’t need fancy.  I just made the quickest thing that came to mind, stuffed it with my pillow insert……then done.  And really, it’s a very simple version.  And works great if you have basic skills and just want something simple to feel successful making.

(But if I still haven’t convinced you to give zippers a try, you can always make an Envelope Closure Pillow Cover.  No biggee.)

And if you want to keep that zipper hidden, just place it on the bottom, and no one will ever see it.

Now you know……and the Zippered Pillow Cover is no longer a mystery.

**And yeah, now you have seen a sneak peek of the re-upholstered chair. yay!!

Would you like to make a quick pillow cover??

Here’s how:

Measure your pillow insert (or an old pillow you’d like to cover) from one side seam to the other and add 1/2 inch to all sides.  My little pillow was 14×14 inches, so I cut out two squares that were 15 x 15 inches.

I used a thin cotton fabric and I wanted to thicken it up……so I ironed some fusible interfacing to the “wrong” side of the fabric, to stiffen it up.  (What’s fusible interfacing??)  If you are using a thicker upholstery fabric, you won’t need to thicken it up.

Then, place your squares together (with right sides together) and sew them together along one side, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Then, open up that seam and iron the fabric back open and flat.  Then, install your zipper on the “wrong” side of the fabric. (Need help installing a zipper??)  Now……you can do what I did and install your zipper beginning a 1/2 inch from one end and stopping a 1/2 inch from the other end.  But then your zipper will become part of two of your corners.  It works fine but to get 2 crisp corners without the zipper interfering (and possibly making it more difficult for beginners) start and stop the zipper 1 inch inch from each corner.  The 2 black arrows below are showing where 1 inch would be.  Then, when you unpick your seam from the other side to let your zipper out, only unpick where you zipper is and leave the 1 inch at each end sewn.  Otherwise, just do it like me……and it will still work out just fine. :)

Here’s a view from the “right” side.

Then, place the squares back together with “right” sides together and sew all the way around the other 3 sides, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. HOWEVER, be sure to leave the zipper unzipped halfway.  Otherwise, you’ll sew it up and won’t be able to unzip it.

Then, trim down the edges and bit and zig-zag the raw edges…..or serge them.

Now, turn right side out, poke the corners out, and iron flat.

And now, you’re ready to stuff with your insert.

That’s it.  Not too painful, right?

See you next week…..healthy as ever!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Comments

40 Responses to “Zippered Pillow Cover”
    Eva Scott says:

Glad y’all are getting over the sickies!! Thanks for this tutorial. I have some pillows in my living room I’ve been wanting to re-cover and keep procrastinating. :-)

Katie says:

Glad to hear you’re all recovering :) Perfect timing for this tutorial, I just bought the most gorgeous fabric that I want to make a pillow case out of, and while I’ve made them before it’s always nice to see a refresher :D

Beth J says:

Thanks for this. Not much for sewing except straight lines. Fear of zipper’s since Home Economics sewing class. ;) Think I can handle this!

Shana says:

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to try it!

Marion says:

ohhh…wow…i like it…..very nice!

Thank´s…have a nice day.

Best regard´s from Germany……sorry my english is not the best… :)

Marion

Sheena says:

Feel better! I have been sick for almost two weeks along with three of my four children so needless to say I have done very little other than lay around.

Martha says:

Great tutorial! I love the flowered fabric!

-Martha
    marthaslittle-bigworld.blogspot.com

Crystal says:

We all ended up with the flu here too! It has been a whole lot of no fun. :p

That pillowcase is so pretty! I can’t wait to hear all about your chair!

Crystal

Sheila in Sf says:

Hope everyone will soon be well. You are so encouraging and your tutorial easy to follow. I avoid zippers but will try again on my next pillow and will save this post. Thanks.

Nicole says:

I have only ever sewn 1 zipper in and it definitely wasn’t a success, but as it was for a costume I didn’t mind too much. I have wanted to custom make my own pillows and this tutorial has given me the boost to give zippers another try. Thanks for the inspiration…… now to find some awesome fabric.

Suzanne says:

I love your easy instructions — exactly what I need for a couple of pillows I need to re-cover (washable!). I also love the red pillow with the floral one. Is that solid rows of seed bead covered fabric? It’s gorgeous! Hope you’re all feeling better soon!

Kiersten says:

This looks even easier than the envelope covers! I’m definitely doing this. I have pillow inserts that have been sitting for weeks waiting to be stuffed into a cover.

ladyInViolet says:

nice and easy!

Liz says:

I just found this on Pinterest and I am so happy! I have material and zippers all ready to go but needed some guidance and direction. Thanks so much for posting :)

Kristina Noall says:

I bought some pillows I liked, and that match my living room, for a good deal at Big Lots–but they’re just sewn together, no way to remove the outsides without a seam ripper, and I’ve been afraid to wash them that way. I’ve considered trying to take them off and add zippers, and I think now I’ll give it a try! (Hopefully there’s a form in there, and not just loose stuffing. That would be disappointing. :)) Thanks!

brandy says:

Hey Ashley,

I can’t wait to see your upholstered chair! I just finished the one that I was working on. What a project! It was probably one of the more labor-time consuming projects that I have done, but so rewarding. I received my grandmother’s chair when she passed away. The one she would sit in at night and sew quilt squares together on. 25 years and it still had great bones, but needed an update. So that is what I gave it and now it is my chair to relax in when the kids are in bed.
    Here is a link if you’d like to check it out!

Thanks, as always, for such fun tutorials and projects!

Brandy

Debbie C says:

THAT chair is the one you recovered? OMG. Can’t wait for the tute!

Love it! I did a cheat’s pillowcase over on my blog using an old shirt… you use that as the back and the buttons etc are all ready to go! :) I’d love you to take a look – I’ll be getting adventurous and giving zippers a go now I’ve seen yours! :)

Beckie says:

Great idea! I love that red pillow it’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Just Jaime says:

This looks so much easier than I thought it would be! I love your red fabric!

I brought four pairs of cushion , planning to get some exclusive cushion cover. After watching the zipper cushion cover design i am so happy to use that for my cushion.

toni says:

I have been sewinv for 40 years andhave always been afraid of zippers! Not anymore. Thanks for this great tutorial!

Thank you so much! I have been so intimidated to try zippers! Great tutorial.

Teri Watkins says:

Thank you for this post. I made 3 pillow slip covers this weekend with no fear. They turned out beautiful

Moon says:

Too, too cute! What a great way to modify the pattern, and I love that touch of turquoise in there, just perfect!
    sale online beds and mattresses

Monae says:

Thank you!!!! Always wondered and can’t believe I couldn’t figure this out. So simple. :)

Kelly ann says:

When you measure the pillow from side seam to side seam, do you do it across the middle of the pillow or at the end???

Sewgumby says:

Thanks! I think even I can do this.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] A new pillow cover is a quick and inexpensive way to spice up your decor.  Ashley from Make It and Love It shows how to make one with a zipper closure so it’s easy to remove for washing or for when you want to change it out to update your decor.  Go to her blog for the tute. [...]

2. [...] A new pillow cover is a quick and inexpensive way to spice up your decor.  Ashley from Make It and Love It shows how to make one with a zipper closure so it’s easy to remove for washing or for when you want to change it out to update your decor.  Go to her blog for the tute. [...]

3. [...] Sew4HomeBasic Pillowcases by Make It and Love ItBig Ruffled Pillows with Bow-Tie Backs by Sew4HomeZippered Pillow Cover by Make It and Love ItEnvelope Closure Pillowcase by Make It and Love ItRuffle Pillowcase by The [...]

4. [...] Y como la hacemos? con cremallera para desenfundar fácil y con este tutorial [...]

5. […] Previously, I have made an envelope-backed pillow cover.  This time, I wanted to try a zipper.  I didn’t remember, but should have realized, that when adding a zipper, the edges of the pillows need to have a 1/2 inch seam.  I planned for a 1/4 inch seam, and so my blue corners were cut off at the outer edge.  I’ll plan better next time.  I used this tutorial for my zippered pillow cover. […]

6. […] toss on a cool front piece (I may make a few nerdy logos out of felt for future projects), or add a zipper. It’s also a great time to practice new hemming techniques like a blind hem or a narrow hem, […]

7. […] and here is another great tutorial from Make It Love It for you to use with the above tutorial: Zipper Tutorial.  Do not fear the zipper.  Trust me, it’s easier than you might […]

8. […] are many tutorials online for inserting a zipper into a pillow, but I found Ashley’s tutorial for a zippered pillow on Make It, Love It easiest to […]

9. […] door, right? Cushion covers seemed easy enough but it always helps to check your thinking. I used this tutorial to make my basic cushions. Both the basic cushions have the olive green fabric on one side and the pink fabric on the other. […]