Little Birdie Wall Hangings (plus free template)

Chloe’s little nursery has been a work in process. I’m not sure why it has taken so long….nothing in there has been very time consuming.  It has just been a matter of finishing up a few small details up.

And the latest addition came from seeing an image on Pinterest but when I followed the Pin, it was a dead end.  Does that really bug anyone else? Haha!  Anyway, the concept wasn’t too tough, so I just made something similar.

And now Chloe has some simple little birdies……perched above her crib.

They sit alone on the wall above her crib but I love the simplicity.

The birdies are made from fabric and a button eye.  And are attached to little 6 inch canvases.  Oh, and did I mention that this is like a 20 minute project?  Quickie-quick!

Ooooh, they’re cute.  See?

I used Mod Podge to attach them to each canvas, so those little suckers are not coming off. ;)

Ahhh, looking cuter already.  All I need now, is a sweet little crib skirt.  (Don’t worry, it’s already half made!)

Want to make some little birdies of your own?

Supplies Needed:

• Template found, HERE.  (scroll down…..it’s at the bottom)
  • 6 inch canvas
  • scrap pieces of fabric
  • Mod Podge
  • button for eye
  • acrylic paint (for the legs)
  • thin paint brush and sponge brush
  • hot glue

**Keep in mind, the template was made for a 6 inch canvas.  (Adjust if necessary.)

Cut out 1 bird body and 2 wings per canvas.  Place it on your canvas to see if you like the size.

Then, paint a layer of Mod Podge on the back side of your fabric bird.

Then place down onto the canvas and press down firmly.  Apply another coat of Mod Podge right on top.

Add the wings the same way and add a coat of Mod Podge over the entire thing, making sure to seal all the edges with Mod Podge.

Once the Mod Podge dries (or almost dries), paint some skinny little legs with your paint.

Then hot glue a button eye right onto the bird.

And that’s it.  All ready to hang.

sponsor

Comments

36 Responses to “Little Birdie Wall Hangings (plus free template)”
    Amy says:

These are the cutest! If you don’t mind me asking, what color of paint is on your walls?

Thank you.

Courtney says:

OM Goodness! These are adorable!

Amna Harb says:

I love how simple it is . I wanna try it with different animals such as rabbit, bear, or owl. Thank you for sharing :)

Charity says:

Pins with the wrong landing drive me CRAZY. Cute birdies! =)

Stefanie says:

Sooo cute!! Love it!

I’ve been looking for projects to use the mini canvases-and this one so cute! And the color combinations are lovely for a nursery. Well done!

Connie Sanders says:

Love, love, LOVE!!!

Emily says:

These are so sweet! They are perfect for a nursery. I really like the tutorial!

Sunnie says:

These are really cute, does anyone have any ideas or animals to make them for a boy? Im into western/cowboy also, thanks!

These are adorable! I guess the only good thing about dead Pinterest links is that you end up making it your very own.

Jen says:

Super cute! I love how easy they are to make too. Why is it that it takes so long to complete nursery projects? I’m still ‘working on’ our nursery (from my first daughter who was born 3.5 yrs ago). I figure maybe I will finish it for her 20mth old sister!?!? Well maybe for the next one ;)

Mary Lou Hart says:

Love it! Have been planning on doing something similar (butterflies) in my daughters room but hadn’t figured out how to attach the fabric to the canvas. Problem solved! And maybe I’ll switch to birdies now.

Rachel says:

Cute cute and cute. So cute. Seriously.

Zepequeña says:

Lovely idea. I´ll try it!

Zepequeña.

Katrina says:

I haven’t commented in a while, but you never cease to amaze me with your projects. I’m thinking a ladybug would be cute, too! I want to be like you when I grow up… Darn! I’m already grown up! We do aspire to be more like you. Thank you for inspiring us! Move over, Martha Stewart!

Valerie Nelson says:

Congrats on your feature in the magazine… your blog IS the best out there!!!!!! I love it! :)

Meghan says:

These are freakin adorable!

Micha Davis says:

Quick projects are the best! These are so charming, and the simplicity is really striking.

Kandace says:

These are great! I’m definitely trying this but for my sewing room!

Carrie H says:

I love this! I have been trying to figure out what to hang over our latest baby’s crib, and I just happen to have 3 6×6 canvases left over from another project! yay!!!

Amy says:

Very sweet. Looking forward to doing this project for my little girl’s room.
    Where did you get your curtains and rug? I really like the red/pink combination.
    Thank you!

Laura says:

Ashley, pásate por mi blog, te he dejado una sorpresa. UN beso

British American says:

Very cute! Plus I’m jealous that Chloe has a room, whilst my almost 2 year old still sleeps in a crib in our room – since we haven’t been brave enough to move him in with his 5 year old brother yet! :P

Love it! The simplicity of this project is charming and also very inspiring. Ashley, have you ever cut out fabric with your Cameo? I wonder if that could be used for this project.

TEMA says:

Love, love, love these little birds and can’t wait to make them. So simple, so sweet!
    Also just wanted to say… the little gir’s bedroom is soooo lovely too. Love the colours and the embellishments that make it sing.
    TEMA

e.t. says:

i love how simple they are to make!!
    i also love how you painted the walls in the room – what did you use to make the design above closet door??

Michelle says:

These birds are adorable! I’m thinking about cutting out 2 bodies, stuffing them and using them for a little mobile — maybe some little yarn legs. Now I can’t wait to get home and go through my scrap fabric!

Another amazing project of yours that I just had to feature in my round-up of 16 DIY Baby Shower Gift Ideas. Here’s the link if you want to check it out (plus your knit blanket and hat feature):

16 DIY Baby Shower Gift Ideas

Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

George says:

What type of Mod Podge did you use as there is many types. Thanks very much.

Babitha says:

Hi Ashley!

Your tutorials are awesome! Thank u s much for sharing with us!!

All the very best!! :))

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Wood LOVE sign…..Fabric/Tulle Skirt (for mini dress form)…..Little Birdie Wall Hangings [...]

2. [...] Little Birdie Fabric Wall Hangings | Make It & Love It [...]

3. […] Little Birdie Fabric Wall Hangings | Make It & Love It[/caption] For first time moms, a New Mommy Survival Kit might be in order, complete with gifts for baby and for Mommy! […]