50+ Great Homemade Kid Gift Ideas

We are snowed in today.  HOORAY!!  Well, except for Steve.  He still had to ice-skate his car down the freeway to his job this morning.  I think we’re going to find some hills to sled down after nap/quiet time.  Wish us luck! ;)

Anyway, just for fun, I compiled a lengthy project list today.  I get emailed a lot about certain project themes and where more projects in this theme can be found.  Like, if I have a bunch of wedding gift ideas, more baby gift ideas, some ideas on how to decorate a certain room, etc.  If you check out my tutorial button above (up in my header), you’ll see a bunch of categories that I included to help organize this mess of projects here on my blog.  But I get it, it can be overwhelming.  So, I think here and there, I’m going to dig into all the old posts and share a compilation of projects that I get asked about quite a bit……all in one post.

I guess I could add 17 more categories to my tutorial section up above……but, well, this is more fun! And I hope it’s more helpful.

So, first up?  Kid Gift Ideas.  And there’s more than 50 of them.  Wow!  I have forgotten about so many of these projects.

Some are ones you’ve seen recently……but others have been buried for 3-4 years.  So, hopefully this will help, especially when you need a quick reference.

So, here you go:

First up…….every child has a favorite book.  How about whipping up a Felt Toy Truck to match a favorite truck character:

Oh, little girls and their hair.  Whip up a few Simple Felt Hair Clips and keep that hair out of their eyes.

felt hair clips

You know those little feet that aren’t quite ready to keep flip-flops on……but they’re too big for the toddler flip-flops with the strap on the back.  Let’s fix that with some Interchangeable Flip-Flop Back Straps:

Raise your hand if you have piles of old cardboard in your garage/storage.  Use it up and create some Cardboard Guitars:

Do you have a missing glove? Use the lonely one and turn it into a friendly little Bunny Doll:

bunny doll

Need a little sack to stuff some mini gifts into?  Try these Goody Bag Cinch Sacks:

Know any handy men?  Make their job easier and whip them up a Fabric Tool Belt:

Cut out some paper dolls and attach them to some sticky magnet sheets. Instant Magnetic Paper Dolls:

Belts are fun for both girls and boys.  All you need is 5 minutes to make your own Simple Ribbon Belt:

kid belt

Turn your little artist’s Drawing into a Stuffed Toy/Doll:

Ooooh, I know you have a pile of ill-fitting sweaters up in your closet.  Turn them into little Sweater Hats:

sweater into baby hat

Does your kiddo have a favorite book?  Turn a Scene from the Book into Artwork for their bedroom:

Kids love sticky messes.  Let them stick their fingers into some Homemade Gak:

homemade gak

Make someone smile and make them one of these sweet little Fabric Stuffed Turtles:

Need art in just the right colors?  Make your own Painted Canvas Artwork:

Help your little artist stay organized and make them a Crayon Roll:

crayon roll

“Hut! Hut! Hike!”  Keep those ears warm with a little Fleece Football Hat:

Don’t like to sew?  All you need to know is how to tie knots to create this No-Sew Tutu:

no sew tutu

Oh my, these little customizable Fabric Dolls will surely melt your heart as you construct them:

Do you know any Fancy Nancy fans?  How about making them an extra frilly collection of Fancy Nancy Dress-Up Items:

Grab some scraps of fabric and turn them into Full and Textured Flowers for hair, clothing, bags, etc:

Who wouldn’t love to cuddle with their very own Monster Pillow:

Give a unique gift of new bath toys…….but don’t forget to help keep things tidy and make a Mesh Bath Toy Bag to go with it:

mesh bath toy bag

Giving a doll as a gift?  Add a few clothing items…..and don’t forget the Doll Panties:

Create a unique piece of art with this 3D Butterfly Wall Display:

Toys, toys, and more toys.  Help keep those toys organized with some Clear Toy Storage Bags:

No need to have sewing skills for these Satin Flower Headbands:

satin flower headbands

How about giving a collection of Sippy Cups as a gift?  But don’t forget the Sippy Cup Leash:

Kids love to color.  Create your own Customized Crayons from ice cube tray molds:

Sometimes sun hats don’t have a chin strap…….but we all know they are so useful.  So before gifting one, be sure and Add Your Own Straps to your Sun Hat:

Let those kids use their imagination and give them a Fort – Table Cover:

fort table cover

Okay, no excuses that you don’t have enough cash to make a new gift.  Rip up some old Tshirts and make some 5 Strand Braided Headbands:

How about some simple 2 sided Stuffed Elephants and Giraffes:

stuffed elephant and stuffed giraffe

Every kid needs a tote to carry their stuff inside.  How about turning a Men’s Shirt/Tie into a Boy Tote or creating a Frilly Ruffled Tote for a girl:

Let’s keep it simple and create a collection of No-Slip Hair Clips:

Oh gee……little toddlers have the hardest time staying close by while at the store, bank, post office, etc.  Create a very simple Toddle Bag Handle to fix that and rescue a frustrated parent that you may know:

Not enough room for a doll bed in your kiddos room?  How about making a Doll Bed out of a Shelf (including hanging storage), and hang it from the wall?

Know some kids in school?  Or how about some that like to draw?  Whip up a quick Girl Pencil Case or a Boy Pencil Case:

This one can be used as decor or for a doll skirt…….but here’s how to make a Fabric/Tulle Skirt:

One of my very favorite gifts to make……….a Fabric Fishy Purse, that opens at the mouth:

Oh my word…..girls young and old would love to twirl in a Full and Fluffy Pettiskirt:

Give the gift of something cozy and soft and whip up a Snuggly Owl Pillow:

Have lots of scraps laying around?  Sew them together and create a darling Scrap-Pieced Belt:

Make sure you’re ready for that first lost tooth and create a darling Tooth Fairy Pouch for the occassion:

Use a little bit of that elastic thread and gift some Shirred Fabric Flowers for clips or headbands:

Oh yes!  Turning old sweaters into baby leggings will make you feel resourceful.  But more than that, they turn out so cute!!

No more artwork scattered on the floor.  Create a Artwork Display Frame out of an old un-loved frame:

Need a place to put the little toys you’re giving as a gift?  Make a customized Little Pieces Toy Sack to put them in:

Babies/toddlers need diapers……..and so do their dolls and stuffed animals.  So whip up a few Fabric Dolly Diapers for your little ones:

Need to spice up a wall?  Create some Little Birdie Wall Hangings:

And whew, that about wraps it up.

Hope that helps while you’re on the search to make the perfect gift for some little kiddo in your life.

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Featured Sponsor:

Comments

42 Responses to “50+ Great Homemade Kid Gift Ideas”
    Claire says:

WOW this is all so wonderful, I’m dying for my baby girl to grow up so I can make her all these fun things. I’ll just have to pin them for later and enjoy her while she’s little :)

Kristin says:

Loved seeing some of your older crafts. It’s cute to see your kiddos so little!!!

Mary says:

This is so great! A nice quick reference when you have a birthday or something coming up. I love your tutorials, they are easy to follow and the end product is wonderful! I’ve made the fishy purse and the pettiskirt for my little girl. Thank you!

Nicole says:

Ohhhhh so many great ideas. So glad I have a little friends 1st birthday coming up, I think the snuggly owl may just win out of what I can make for him. The dolly diapers are great too, may just whip up a few to take along to work, day care dollys are always under dressed hahaha.

Katie R says:

SOOOO Awesome! I want to make all of it!

Heather says:

Thank you for sharing this! I love ALL of them! repin. repin. repin :) LOVE – THANKS!

Jennifer says:

Your glove bunny is WAAAAAYYYYYYY cuter than the one on Martha’s site!

Hey, is that a Count Rugen glove you’ve used!?

Kate says:

I’m so inspired!

Chelsey says:

I love your projects! This is just a reminder of SO many things I want to make and haven’t gotten to yet. Love it!

I Love your web sight. what wonderful, creative work you do. I have grandchildren who would love it if I would just remember and make them some of the things you do. Thank you for sharing. Jackie

Amanda says:

I have already pinned so many of these separately, but I had to pin this specific post. So many of my favorites all in one quick link! Awesome. You just made my “to do” list for me. Thanks for sharing all your creativity!

Erin Morrison says:

Amazing! You are so creative! Hope to eventually find time to try some of these out!

Renee H. says:

You rock! I love seeing so many of your wonderful ideas pulled together like this. Stay warm! We’re in Wichita and got over a foot yesterday.

Unique gifts says:

children gonna love these things because mother knows the best

Noemy says:

Ashley thank you so much for so wonderful projects, I am going to make the doll for my granddaughter.
    God bless you!!!

kim says:

great collection, wonderful ideas, a huuuuge “dankeschoen!!” from germany

Elie says:

<3 and I wish for you a beautiful sewing/craft room in your new home, Ashley!!

annely says:

SO many lovely ideas!! I absolutely love the clear storage bags, this house here needs some of those:)

cucicucicoo says:

what a fantastic collection of ideas! i remember a bunch of them but lots are new for me. and look at how much your kids have changed! thanks so much! :) lisa

rachel says:

That s really ausome!!!
    But u should tell how u made all things in this site?

Great list! I’ll be adding some of these to my make list.

RobyGiup says:

So many wonderful ideas!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

Lynette says:

I hadn’t even seen some of those yet! I love the stuffed elephants and giraffes! How super fun are they!?

Sara says:

Wow great ideas!

anne k says:

As a “grannie,” I thank you so, so much for all these wonderful tutorials for gifts my granddaughter will love!

Stephanie says:

I’ve been in a sewing slump and now you’ve got me itching to get back in there! Thanks for the inspiration =)

Jessica says:

I LOVED this! I always read your blog and love the creative and unique ideas you share with us. I really liked how this grouped a bunch of your projects (older and newer!) into one convenient spot. I’m excited to try some new projects! Thanks again, Ashley! :)

azar says:

hi , i’m from IRAN
    i really love you’r handmade works.
    very nice and useful.
    many thanks.

Guest says:

Wow, these are amazing! :) I think i just need to take a week off work and be all creative! I love this blog! :)

Marla says:

Thanks for all of the ideas!! I made a bathtoy bag and cited you here: http://craftsewsweetly.blogspot.com/2013/03/bathtoy-bag.html

Ellie says:

Where are you Ashley! It has been a month since your last post! I am wondering if you are super sick and in the hospital or you got in a really bad car wreck! Hope your ok!
    xoxo

Hey Ellie, it looks as if you are having some cache-ing issues. So, no, I’m not sick or hurt (thank goodness!)…….you just haven’t been seeing my newest content. When I updated my site’s software a month ago, some were having problems with the newest problems showing up. Here’s the info I have tried sharing on facebook and such, to help everyone catch up. Good luck! -Ashley
      . . . . .

If you’re having issues seeing my newest posts, then it’s probably a cache-ing issue with your computer. (My my recent post was put up on 3/19/13 and it was titled “DIY Fabric Shoelaces”. Sometimes there’s an issue with cache-ing when I update the newest software available for WordPress. Is this all sounding like mumbo-jumbo???

The cache (pronounced “cash”) is a space in your computer’s hard drive and in RAM memory where your browser saves copies of previously visited Web pages. Your browser uses the cache like a short term memory. Instead of downloading an image from a recently viewed website, it will load the image from your cache folder, thereby making the browsing process a little quicker. When the cache files become out of date or are taking up too much room, you can delete them……and will be able to see updates on web pages, like mine. :)

Some computers have different caching settings and that’s why some people were able to see the newest post right away, while others were not. To resolve this, you’ll need to clear your computer cache. If you’re unsure how to do this, try googling it. There are so many browsers and versions of each browser and then PC, MACS, etc……so it would be impossible for me to list them all here. So, try googling, “clear cache for Internet Explorer” or “clear cache for Internet Explorer on a MAC” or whatever describes what you’re using. Hope that helps!
      Let me know if you have any other issues!
      -Ashley

Ms. Laura M. says:

Hey Ashley, once again, Great Ideas! I personally think that my little man would love the cardboard guitars and the tool belt. He likes to pretend like he’s a little professional and i can just picture him strutting his stuff in that tool belt :)

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months
    of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

Joanna says:

Thank you for this great list!!
    If you don’t feel crafty, check out MISI Handmade Gift Guide for Children

Abbi says:

Oh my! Thanks so much for posting this! I have been looking for some fun and original things to make for the little girls in my life who have EVERYTHING! I can’t decide which one to try first!

Jenny says:

Awesome list! I just purchased a retired Felicity doll on eBay for my daughter’s Christmas (we are using the Felicity books for homeschool this year) so it made my day to see that doll bed/closet. My daughter has a loft bed and hardly any extra space so it’ll be perfect in her room! Thanks for the great ideas!

Rita says:

Hi the glove bunny is SO CUTE!!!!!
    I NEED HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda says:

These are incredible! I don’t know what I want to try first. I’ve been looking for some easy Christmas gifts for my neighborhood full of little girls. I think I can stop looking now.

swapna says:

great ideas! Wonderful :-)

Hannah says:

Hi! Wonderful ideas! I need a gift for a 11 year old girl? Any ideas?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Homemade gifts for kids by Make It, Love It A giant round up of 50+ tutorials that Make It, Love It had previously posted. Some great stuff in here for the kiddos in your life, if you’re craft-minded & have the time for it. [...]