Hanging Storage Bins (made from recycled containers)

In case you saw my quickie post yesterday, and read where I mentioned I’d be back on later in the day…..ACK, sorry about that!!  Whew, what a whirlwind of a day.  Today too, for that matter.  I should know better than to put a time frame in writing.  Because something will for sure come up! ;)  But one day late is better than never, right?  Well, unless you’re talking about a paycheck.  Or a baby delivery induction date.  Or something… ;)

Anyway, I have had a little fun doing some organizing in my craft room.

And made some hanging storage bins to stuff full of sewing notions and supplies.  And guess what?!?!  They’re made from OLD plastic containers. Hooray for cheap! :)

Remember my little cell phone holder (made from lotion bottle) that I made over a year ago?  Well…..this idea stemmed from that.

But instead of a flatter lotion bottle…….I used several rounder disinfectant wipe containers.

And hung them on knobs, which were attached to strips of wood.  Now I have more of my most used items, right next to me while I sew.

I can also easily grab the whole container and use it elsewhere if needed, and then return it to its hook.  Simple.

Originally, I was going to use some slightly bigger containers and hang these up on the wall in Connor’s room.  Then he could fill them with cars, action figures, balls, legos, etc.  But I needed it more than he did. :)  And, well, I need to save up some bigger containers for his room.  (I’m thinking liquid laundry detergent bottles. Any other ideas??)

But couldn’t you just see toys hanging in here?  Or pencils/markers/scissors/crayons/office supplies/etc??

I know you go through a zillion of these containers of wipes during the winter like we do, right?  (We’re constantly wiping down door knobs, railings, car seats, etc.)  Why not put them to good use?  Or any other plastic container that you use a lot of.  Hmmmm……take a look around.  You’ll never even notice they were previously meant for something else.  Well, unless you take a peek underneath, I guess.

I attached mine to the wall between my sewing table and craft table.  So, instead of pulling out a pile of elastic colors and pieces, I can just grab the whole container and place it on my table, while I decide which color/size to use.  Or just grab what I need while seated at my sewing machine.  Ahhhhh……organizing feels so good!

I guess you could always buy some sort of wall mounted organizational system……but who wants to spend money on that.  Especially when you have a little spare wood, paint, and find some knob pulls on sale at Target.  Oh yeah, and a bunch of empty plastic containers.

Would you like to make a few storage bins to simplify YOUR clutter?

Like I mentioned above, I transformed these old containers just like I did with my cell phone holder.  So if you have more questions than what I share here, check that tutorial out.

You could use any shape/size of container for this project and if you like the color of the original bottle, you won’t have to do much transforming.  My containers were white, so I left them alone.  The cell phone container is covered in fabric and mod podge.  But you could also use special spray paint (made for covering plastic), to keep it simple.

First, remove all labels from your container.  Mine tore right off.

***If you  have a sticky label attached to your bottle, use Goo Gone.  That stuff works great!

Then, I used a piece of paper to cut out a shape for the back part of each container, so that it would be straight and uniform.  Then I traced it onto each container, with a permanent marker.

Then I used kitchen shears to cut off the extra plastic.  (You could use a utility knife, but be careful.  You’ll have less control.  I found kitchen scissors to be much easier.)

For the hole, I poked one point of the scissors into the center of the circle, and then cut around the marker line.

If you have jagged lines or rough edges, use sand paper to smooth it all out.

For the main rectangle piece of each wall hanging, I used a 2 foot long piece of wood that was 1 inch thick and 6 inches wide. Then, I drew dots where I wanted my knobs to be and then drilled them out.

Then I attached hooks to the back of each piece of wood.

And to finish it off, I spray painted my wood, let it dry, sanded the edges of the wood a bit, attached each of the knobs, and hung up my new piece of organizational beauty! :)

Edited To Add: The knobs that I used are the kind that you place the screw in through the back and then screw the knob onto the end of the screw poking out the front. Make sense? So all is hidden and the back is flat.

images taken from here

Enjoy!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Featured Sponsor:

Comments

83 Responses to “Hanging Storage Bins (made from recycled containers)”
    Amna Harb says:

Loved it.. How easy to make it. Also, it’s a good idea for recycling. Thank you for sharing :)

Kristin says:

That is a super cool idea! I’ll have to try it out!

Trish D says:

This is BRILLIANT!!! I want to make a set of these for my daughter’s hair junk – portable yet still easy to hang up. Thanks so much for the inspiration

Becki Wagner says:

Unbelievably awesome! I am so making two sets of these for my craft room. Thank you so much for sharing.

Alice S. says:

Suh-weet!

B says:

Love this!! i was just going to buy some small bins, but they are SOO expensive. This is perfect for me. Thank you!

Elaine says:

This is such a great idea! I love re-using containers, and you’ve done a great job with these.

Sami Veloso says:

Great idea Ashley, I will have to ask a friend who has a baby to keep me these containers.

Melane says:

Brilliant! I absolutely love this clever idea! Thank you for sharing!

Angela says:

Love the tutorial! Couldn’t help but notice your curtains. I love the pattern! Where did you find them?

Deanna says:

I am making a set of these for each of my children. The teachers at school will probably be willing to save wipes containers for me.

sharlotte says:

Omgoodness… I am totoally going to make this for my little brothers legos probably with laundry soap containers.

Rebecca says:

So cute! I love that the whole container can be pulled right off the board — so much more convenient than having to look through something permanently attached. We have 80 quadzillion Folger’s plastic coffee cans that would be the perfect size for a little boys’ stuff. The Folger’s site even makes cute artwork that can be attached to the indentations after you remove their label.

Lauren says:

Great idea! We don’t use the disinfectant wipes much, but I was think the coffee creamer bottles would work too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jenniffier says:

What a great idea. Your room is looking so organized!

Nicole says:

I absolutely love this idea. Sooo many possibilities and we go through about 100 of these wipe containers each winter. I will start saving them for sure. How exactly did you do the knobs? Did you drill the holes all the way through the wood and leave the ends of the screws poking out? Thanks for a super tutorial!

Great question……I should have included a picture. But I drilled a hole all the way through but these knobs are the kind that you place the screw in through the back and then screw the knob onto the end of the screw poking out the front. Make sense? So all is hidden and the back is flat. Hope that helps!

-Ashley

Nicole says:

And you could totally label each one with vinyl! Love this!

Deedra says:

This is a great idea. I may have to try this sometime.

Brittany says:

This would also make a cute herb garden on the back porch! I love your craft room! Wish I would get up and organize like you do.

Tracy says:

I love this idea, I need to make something like this for my girls toothbrushes and tooth paste!!

christine says:

I have been saving Crystal Light containers for my craft room. I think these would be the perfect thing to hold toothbrushes and toothpaste. Now I have a new idea for their use. Thanks!

MandaNell says:

You are Brilliant!! I love this idea.

Amy says:

I love this! I’ve been looking for a good idea for my kids’ art supplies, and this is it!

Tracy says:

What a super idea! They look great and are so easy to take down and organize. Plus if one breaks it can just be recycled and you make a new one. Thanks!!

Rosie says:

on bigger containers for the kids: the big gallons of vinegar.

Nichole Avila says:

Cute! I can see lots of possibilities for this too! Where did you get your sewing table? or did you make it?! maybe I missed a post?!

Thanks! Nichole

I love this project. What a wonderful idea, with so many possibilities. Thank you so much for sharing such a clever idea.

SeiCreativ! says:

Hello! Wow! Very smart idea!

P.S. I like your new site very well!!!

Sarah says:

Thank you, this is a wonderful idea and your tutorial is beautifully done – thanks for sharing the little details like the sandpaper, the goo-gone suggestion, and the paper template.

mea says:

I don’t know if you have one or shop there, but the Costco brand milk cartons would work great! They are squarish and bigger. Love this idea! Thanks for another brilliant project!!

Genius! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing a great-looking, frugal storage solution!

Deebi27 says:

What a FABULOUS idea…my son and I are working on remodeling my home (I love with my hubby in his home) and I think this would be perfect for his bathroom. He doesn’t want a shelving in the bathroom…this is quite handy! I am putting an all out notice at work for the wipes containers! Thank, Thanks, Thanks!

evon says:

OMG THank you for this! I was looking for a way to organize my office and this is the perfect idea! I always keep old containers for misc. storage. Im excited to try this out!

Linda says:

great idea. wish I’ d thought of it. love the pretty blue base and nickel knobs.

Laurie says:

what a clever idea! I love that they are up high enough that little hands can’t get into them, which is my biggest problem right now.
    Also, I LOVE your curtains. Where are they from?

Christine says:

What a fantastic idea! Also, love the curtains!

Heather says:

Would you be able to post the cut out template you made for the container? Great idea, going to start saving wipe containers asap!

Phoebe says:

You could use the Tide Pod containers (or something similar) the little washer pack containers. Those are clear and they will hold a lot of toys or other things! That was my first idea when I seen this post

Cinda says:

Great idea! I see a future reorganization in the garage. Thank you.

Betsy says:

Just wondering where you got those curtains? Love them.

Erin Hancock says:

Man, you have the best ideas! It’s a treat to come to your website and look around!

shelley says:

Holly Cow. I love these. I will save my lysol containers to make some of these. I love that is small and easy to make. I pinned this to remind me.

M says:

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been looking to make some small hanging planters so I’ve been saving plastic containers. This is a really good idea to work with in my project planning!

Lourdes says:

lindo!

Silvia Helena Camargo says:

Adorei a ideia, muito criativa e fácil de fazer. Parabéns!!!!

That is a good idea!

Delia says:

I luuuurve this idea! Just pinned it and will do it!

Sheila says:

This is an awesome idea-my craft/sewing/storage/laundry room is actually a shed that is semi attached to my park model, so there is always “stuff, aka “junk” all over, so this would be a great help! Thanks for sharing!!

Elizabeth Ryan says:

I love your creativity!! I’ve been using Arizona Tea Jugs, cutting out the side sanding the edges and using them for craft supplies. Their construction is super strong and a little goo gone takes off any sticker. Unfortunately they’re clear and won’t look as tidy. Never thought of hanging them in such a beautiful and utilitarian way. Very very clever. Can’t wait to start my new project!

IMO says:

I have a lot of the clear plastic square containers with screw on plastic lids (Planters and GreatValue peanuts). They’re about 32-35 oz. Walmart sells new ones with white screw on plastic lids for about $3 or $4 each…for food storage containers (canisters).

I also have tons of 5quart plastic buckets with handles and lids – from ice cream.
      Also coffee creamer (liquid) containers.

I re-purpose a lot of different plastic containers but am open to more ideas as I hate to just toss them in the landfill.

I love your idea for the hanging mini-bins for sewing supplies!

IMO says:

Elizabeth,
      Have you considered painting your clear craft storage containers? There is spray paint for plastics. Or you could wallpaper or contact paper or decoupage….or glue yarn, beads, etc. or even use decorative duck tape.

Rosa Marie says:

I love your site, your ideas and can`t wait o make this . I`d love to know what COLOR your boards are…I LOVE IT!

Ms. Laura says:

What a sweet idea .. This will def be put to use in my house. We’ve been using cardboard boxes to hold some small office supplies in my home office but now these will be used to replace that ugly cardboard!

What a wonderful idea! I love that you recycled the containers!

M Fox says:

Perfect! I’ve been saving these containers, knowing that they could be put to good use. This is just what I needed.

agus , indonesia says:

I love it , it’s good idea that I wait for it

BlueSheep says:

Aw~~~ you’re brilliant and thank you so much for this idea!!! I’m seeing myself making at least 2 for myself and 1 for my daughter for art and craft station!!! Thank you so much!!!

Wanda Rose says:

Containers from cake icing would work for this too. You could use a hole punch to make holes in the side and up cycle ribbons to make handles to hang over knobs.

Winter says:

Lovely project. You can also use oil to remove adhesive residue. Rub oil on, let it sit awhile. Scrub and wash with soap and water. Safer than goo gone if the kids are “helping” and it’s less expensive!

wendy says:

Found your blog on Pinterest. It was about curtains, but I loved your colors and style so much that I kept on a-lookin’. Totally making these storage containers so my 3 daughters will have a neat (and separate!) place to place their toothbrushes and toothpaste (yes, they each have to have their own toothpaste and, no, they MUST.NEVER.TOUCH! Lol). Cute, functional, up-cycled AND off the countertop in their small bathroom = WIN! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Check out the tutorial at Make It Love It. [...]

2. [...] love the idea of using recycled containers to make hanging storage bins. It’s clever, practical and [...]

3. [...] What a great way to organize your craft supplies!  Or anything else for that matter!  Would you believe these containers used to be disinfectant wipes containers?  You can find the full tutorial for this great storage solution at Make it and Love it. [...]

4. [...] Organizing / 2. Hanging Storage Bins Made From Recycled Plastic Disinfecting Wipes Containers via Make It & Love It / 3. Re-purposed Pill Box for Embellishment Storage via Better Homes & Gardens / 4. Use a [...]

5. [...] Hanging Storage Bins @ Make it & Love it [...]

6. […] hanging storage bins (via makeit-loveit) […]

7. […] Craft Supply Storage at Make it & Love it […]

8. […] items that I had to share this one too. Here she cuts up a disinfecting wipes container and makes a hanging storage unit. […]

9. […] Hanging Storage Containers – This vertical storage solution is made from upcycled plastic […]

10. […] Hanging Storage Containers – This vertical storage solution is made from upcycled plastic […]

11. […] When you are working with reduced floor or desk space in general, consider working the walls in a way that keeps whatever you need within arms’ reach separate and accessible with these hanging wall organizing units. http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2013/01/hanging-storage-bins-made-from-recycled-containers.html […]

12. […] Hanging Storage Bins from Recycled Containers @ Make It & Love It […]

13. […] at Make It and Love It, Ashley came up with a fantastic storage solution for her craft room.  Space in crafting areas is […]

14. […] in welcoming the new season. If you’re crafty, follow these instructions for creating these hanging storage bins from recycled […]

15. […] from The Lovely Cupboard can be arranged and rearranged as needed.Thought this recycling idea from Make It & Love It would work nice in the bathroom. And put any metal surface to work with this idea from Better Homes […]