Simple Christmas Decor: Burlap Table Runner & Bay Leaf Trees

Need a quick little Christmas/Holiday facelift for your home?  Yeah, string those lights, hang those stockings, and put up that tree………but how about a quick little Burlap Table Runner (that is easily made as a no-sew project).  Or a few little Bay Leaf Trees to sit atop your table.  Or mantel.  Or shelf.  Wherever you put them, they will surely add a little holiday cheer to your home.

And no, you’re not going crazy if these seem strangely familiar.  This burlap table runner is just like the Autumn Table Runner I shared last month.  Remember how I said I also purchased some red polka dot burlap at the same time as the autumn leaf print (at Joann’s)?  Well, here she is.  And, well, I love the dots even more! :)

And the little trees are just like the Bay Leaf Wreath I shared last month as well.  I purchased a large bottle of dried bay leaves at Costco (in the spice section) and only used part of it for the wreath.  I had plenty left over to create 2 little Bay Leaf Trees…..plus there’s still more.  That bottle of Bay Leaves is like the Mary Poppins’ bag.  It’s amazing how much fits in there.  (Do you get the Mary Poppins reference?  Remember the carpet bag?  Anyone? :) )

The only difference, is that I cut some leaves in half, creating a straight line to glue along the very bottom edge of my styrofoam cones (that I bought at the craft store).  Then, I started at the tippy-top and started gluing leaves down, only using a bit of glue on the back of the very top of each leaf.  I lifted up the very bottom tips of the leaves, and placed new ones part way underneath…..creating a nice layering effect.  Reference the Bay Leaf Wreath Tutorial for more images.

Then find a nice place to set your sweet little trees.

But if you’re like me, you may have hard time deciding where to set them.

Hmmmm…….on the table?  Atop the new burlap table runner?

Or maybe on the hutch, behind the little nativity scene?

Or well, you can never fail adding some love to the mantel.  Right?

I haven’t really decided yet.  I kinda love them all for different reasons.  Maybe I’ll rotate……and spread the Bay Leaf Tree LOVE, all around the house this season!!!

Opinions?!!

Good thing there’s only one place to set my table runner.  Which is one of the quickest and most satisfying projects.  And is perfect for Christmas! :)

Have you started to “Deck your Halls” too???  Oooooh, how I love little tidbits of Christmas cheer around the house.

It makes me completely happy.

See you soon.

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor

Filed under Featured, Holiday, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

33 Responses to “Simple Christmas Decor: Burlap Table Runner & Bay Leaf Trees”
    Nicole H. says:

So where did you get polka-dot burlap??? I was thinking you painted the polka dots yourself…which I would never finish, but predone – that I might get to! Thanks for sharing the cuteness!

Nicole H. says:

Ok I just read the other post and saw Joann’s…I’m sure mine doesn’t have it though…bummer!

• 1.1.1

Oh good, I added that into my post too. And hmmm, you never know. Maybe they have it? Mine was stashed away on some random shelf. Hope you can track it down!

-Ashley

Mindy says:

The nativity scene!

Jen Morris says:

Love the bay leaf tree idea, how cute!

lynn says:

love ‘em both! i did quick burlap tree skirt w/stamped stars. i love christmastime!

Sheila Phipps says:

Love this!! I love polka dots, too! And anytime of year!

Heather says:

Where did you get that amazing nativity scene picture?

Stephanie Gatten says:

I love that wreath! Did you make it yourself? I’ve been trying to find berry-looking decorations, but haven’t had much luck.

No, I got it at Target for about $20. Cheaper than making it, I figured. There’s a lot of berries on that little beauty. My husband was so proud of me for just buying it! ;)

Alysha says:

I just busted out all our decorations! We have window-gel gingerbread men, penguins, snowflakes, etc. for our 2 year old to help decorate. He loves helping and it keeps him busy with non-breakable items. We aren’t having a tree this year, so I just filled a clear class vase with some small silver ornaments, strung lights under our tiered counter and added a few wood pieces: nativity, “Merry Christmas” blocks and our tree slices. (Does anyone else do that tradition?) And my husband brought home a few treasures from his ceramics class this semester so those are now showcasing ornaments on various shelves too! Our apartment is so small less is more and I love it!

Alysha says:

Although I am making a trip to Joann’s soon and I’m keeping my eyes peeled for that printed burlap…how easy is that to swap out for different holidays/seasons?

Amanda says:

I like the bay leaf trees by the nativity best but all placements are cute.

Amy K. says:

I have that same nativity & now I NEED to make some bay leaf trees to go around it!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Pi says:

Congratulations from Portugal!!!!!!!
    Love it!

anna s says:

love love love love the trees

The basil trees are great!! Do they smell good? I like them best behind the nativity scene, but honestly, they look great everywhere :)

I’ve put up a few things, but I want to start doing more homemade things. Probably only one or two a year though so it actually happens!

Valerie says:

Trees are very cute. I like them best with your nativity. The color isn’t quite right with the mantle stuff.

Maureen M. says:

I personally think you just might need to make more trees! (they look adorable everywhere)

Andy says:

Thank you for sharing the bay leaf trees – I’m gonna make some tomorrow – it’s just what the top of my small bookcase is needing!

Jane M says:

Your new trees and runner are so beautiful and I love your Christmas decorations overall. Thanks.

Anjanette says:

I was looking for something to go behind my willow tree nativity and these trees are perfect.

You have such beautiful furniture, I love your upholstered chairs, your wreath on the mantle, the white hutch your nativity scene is on! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Aside from all that, I wished I lived near you so I could take sewing lessons and actually start making some of the beautiful things you create!

Katie says:

HA! I JUST bought my daughter her very first Target knock-off for Christmas. I’m so excited for her to have a nice little doll to play with. This is PERFECT! I’ll whip up some of those little skirts to add to her gifty.

Thanks for sharing. About a year ago, you really helped me to get back into creating after taking a much-to-long break!

leslie says:

love them!! curious about those stocking hangers too- where’d they come from? Will they hold a full stocking? hum… :)