Goody Bag Cinch Sacks {hey…use up some of that scrap fabric}

Well, my {almost} 6 year old has been as happy as clam since Saturday.  (Her REAL b-day is the 2oth.)  Because, we had a little party with a few of her friends……..and she had an absolute BALL having a “friend” party.  Yeah, this was her first one.  Ever. :)

And, even though my husband said it would have been easier to fill up brown lunch bags with goodies……I insisted on making some little fabric goody bags to send Elli’s party guests home with.

And yep, they’re just like the cinched up Toy Sack tutorial from last week……just a bit smaller in size.  Lots of uses, those little bags have.

After my husband said I could have just handed out brown bags, I replied, a bit snarky, “hey, I used fabric from my stash, so making these bags saved me about $1.50.  (Which is the price it would have cost me to just buy brown bags.So, go ahead and thank me…….because now we can now afford an extra bar of soap this month.  Or something!“  Ha.  He teases me because no matter what he says, he knows I will still lose sleep making random little items of happiness.  Simply because they make me (and our kiddos!) smile.  HOWEVER, don’t laugh if by the time Chloe turns 6, I send her party guest home with recycled grocery sacks.  Hey……I’m realistic! :)

But each little party guest went home with a personalized goody bag.

Which was filled with all sorts of little cheap-y toys.  Kids love this stuff!

And after the toys are lost/broken, they can use their little sacks for whatever collection or hidden treasure they’d like to keep safe.  Sure beats a brown paper bag, right?!!  (You can send hate mail to my husband at [email protected] Ha.  Just kidding.)

I didn’t hand-make anything else at all.  (I only sort-of made those pom-poms.  I bought the edges precut.  I just had to fold and pull the layers apart.)  So these little sacks were my one little fun handmade project for the occasion.  Which was perfect.  Oh wait, I guess the cupcakes were homemade too. ;)

**The only difference from the fabric toy sack tutorial from last week, is that I cut the two main pieces of fabric 9 x 11 inches (rather than 12 x 14).  And then, the small piece of fabric with the name on the front is about 3 x 5 inches.  And when I boxed out the bottom corners, instead of measuring in 1.5 inches from each corner tip, I only measured in 1 inch.  That’s it.  The rest is exactly the same.

. . . . .

Are you curious about her little party?  Here’s a little peek (even if Elli’s grandparents are the only one’s interested. Ha.).  And yeah, I can’t ever take a “few” pictures.  I always go overboard.  So grab a hot cocoa……  ;)

We played a few silly games but I think the silliest of all, was the YUCKY cupcake contest.  The kids were all given an un-frosted cupcakes, some mustard, ketchup, popcorn kernels, and goldfish crackers……and were told to make the ickiest, yuckiest, pukiest cupcake that they could.

There was a lot of shrieking and looks of horror by the girls at first……but the boys.  OH, the boys!!!!  They loved this idea! :)

They laughed a lot.  And made a lot of gurgly, icky noises while making their cupcakes.  It was a riot!

The girls ended up having just as much fun though.  And Elli was the only one to try the finished cupcake.  Let’s just say she was on the verge of tears when she crunched down on some popcorn kernels.  I think she expected it to taste good.  It IS a cupcake, after all. ;)

Then, it was time for the Pinata.  This was the only party request from the birthday girl.  Well, she wanted friends too.  Check.  And check.

The kiddos lined up, youngest to oldest……making it Chloe’s turn first.

The 4th in line, whacked that poor little cupcake to pieces.  We need stronger pinatas!!!!

But who cares…….the whole point is the candy, right???

That’s when I handed out their little bags to shove their candy into.  And then let them dig in and see all the little treasures inside.  I figured this would help while Elli opened up her gifts, if they had a few things to play with too.  I know, I’m a sucker for keeping little ones this age happy at a party. :)

And don’t worry, Chloe kept herself very busy, stealing candy from everyone else.  Turkey!  I kept catching her with her mouth full.

Then, it was present time.

A few of Elli’s friends read their hand-written cards to her…..and they were so proud to do so!

Then, it was this little pumpkin’s turn to give Elli her card.  She “read” Elli her card too……and went on and on about birthday wishes and how happy she was to be there, etc.  Oh my word….cute as a button!  Steve and I couldn’t stop laughing!

And finally…..time for DESSERT!!!!!

And Chloe?  Well, she found plenty to do.  And gobbled up any dropped jelly beans or sprinkles that she could find off the floor.  And then, would wiggle her little self right up onto any chair to find more to vacuum up! ;)

**Yes, her boots are on the wrong feet. Makes me laugh!

Yep, here she is, after forcing another little girl right out of her chair. ;)

The smiles are always tripled when their bellies are full of sweets.  (Sorry parents, I totally let them have more when they asked for a second cupcake!)

Ahhhhh, what a fun afternoon.

And thanks to all her little friends for coming.  I know it’s a busy time of year…….but you helped fill Ellli’s heart right up to overload! :)

Oh Elli, my heart can barely comprehend you turning six in a few days.  But I sure love the sweet little lady that you’re turning into.

(It baffles me to look back when Elli turned 5.  And even more when she turned 4.  Wow, how she’s grown.)

Your daddy and I both love you to bits, little Munchkin! :)

Filed under Children, Family, Featured, Gift Ideas, Sewing, Silhouette Craft Cutter

Comments

28 Responses to “Goody Bag Cinch Sacks {hey…use up some of that scrap fabric}”
    Rachel says:

How fun!! I can’t wait to have parties for our future little kiddos :) Those are some great ideas, too – the yukcy cupcake contest? Way fun!!

Chelley says:

How did you do the names? They are so cute!

Jen says:

The picture of Chloe “stealing” the chair, notice her boots are on the wrong feet. What a precious photo…it made me smile.

Haha…..I KNOW! I just added in a caption that mentions that and then I read your comment here. How funny that you noticed! :) That little turkey loves those boots….mostly because she can put them on herself!

-Ashley

Joan says:

I usually enjoy your site, but I really have to say that the whole yucky cupcake thing was so wasteful…not the kind of message I want to send to children…

I can understand what you’re saying…..since usually, I am trying to use up old scraps and goodwill items and turn them into new. So, I try to be careful to not waste. But the “yucky cupcake” thing was more like an art project, allowing the kids to be creative and experience supplies they wouldn’t normally use. The toppings were kinds of like the glitter, glue, paper scraps, and pipe cleaners one might normally use on an art project, that will inevitably be thrown away in the garbage as well. Anyway, we very rarely use food as our art supplies but for a birthday party, it was something a little special. So my children aren’t taught on a regular basis to waste their food. But it was something out of the norm…..and was pretty fun for them to experience!!! Anyway, I hope that explains a bit more….and thanks for your thoughts!

-Ashley

• 4.1.1
        Heidi says:

Really? Wasteful? a box of cake mix cost $1.00! Some people..lol Glad Elli had a memorable and fantastic {wasteful} birthday! ;)

• 4.1.1.1
          Joan says:

Heidi…I wasn’t referring to a waste of money per se…my concern was using food that would be thrown away. I am a consultant for child day care centers (ours are mostly a very low income population) and the program directors have made me particularly mindful of not “playing” with food. Some of our children barely get enough food at home…

• 4.1.2
        Joan says:

It does make more sense…thanks for your thoughtful answer…

Carole says:

Yeah we’d hate for kids to be taught to play and have fun…… I guess going to go pick up trash would have been a better birthday party activity for a 6-year-old.

• 4.2.1
        Sara H says:

Haha, I agree with you there, it’s a party, plus if they enjoyed it so much then who cares if a few cupcakes were wasted in the process!

Kathie says:

I too noticed Chloe’s boots were on the wrong foot. I think it is my favorite picture!

Carole says:

I hope my kids, who are born on the 24th and 26th of December, get as good of a turn out to their parties when they are older. It’s so hard sometimes to play out a party this time of year.

Paige says:

My friend and I thought that having the birthday party for a December birthday early in the month or even in November might not be a bad idea. I think we might try it next year for my son. His birthday is today and his party is on Thursday. But, I think we might try to have it earlier in the month next year!

Carina Garcia says:

Your family is so beautiful! Happy Birthday to Elli and happy holidays!
    Kisses from Argentina.
    Carina.

Marybeth says:

Have you ever tried a paperbag pinata? I’ve made a couple for my kids. The first time we really thought that the kids would tear into it pretty quickly, but the seven kids each had two turns. Some of the kids were small but the eight year old was really surprised when she didn’t break it with her first swing like she predicted. You cover a large brown grocery bag with a design, tissue paper or paint, fill the bag with crumpled newspaper or plastic grocery bags and candy, then staple the top. My kids liked creating the design for the pinata and they really did hold up well.

Alysha says:

I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year, so even though I don’t *really* know your family I still felt like “Holy Cow I can’t believe how big she is!!” She is growing up to be a beautiful lady and I loved all those fun pictures! Nothing warms the heart like little smiles and giggles.

Jodi says:

What cute ideas!! Thanks for all the pictures. Looks like it was so much fun for Elli and her friends.

Cherie says:

Oh how I love cupcakes!!! I almost wanted to cry at the thought of putting MUSTARD on one!! (or on anything, really. That stuff if just gross. ;) ) I wanted to rescue those sweet little cupcakes! But the world was as it should be once again when I saw the sugar coated ones. I’m glad they all had fun! Oh, and I thought your response to the one person in a million who thought you were being “wasteful” was very nice. :)

Liz says:

I did this for my sons 3rd birthday and filled them with the little paper sweet bags from your tutorial with a ‘thanks for coming’ stamp. Everyone loved them! And really they were super easy. Thank you!

Hi Ashley. I just nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Congratulations!

Awesome. Great job! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who “will still lose sleep making random little items of happiness. Simply because they make me (and our kiddos!) smile.”

Tomingo says:

This is really sweet. Making me wish mine were still this age.
    Thanks for sharing.

Camilla says:

I made the party bags for my daughter’s 8th birthday party and all the girls loved them especially as they had they’re on names on them. Thanks for the idea, though I think I need to speed up a bit on my technique!!

Happy New Year to you