Wall Decor: wooden LOVE sign

Finally…….it’s baby Chloe’s turn (who’s not really a baby anymore…{sigh}) to have a little color added to her beige walls.  We’re “professional” renters it seems, so we always have to work around the color of walls that we’re given.

I saw this really cute wall hanging online (and pinned it, of course) but realized that not only was the price too high ($200 bucks? really?!?!)…….but I also didn’t want a white wall hanging for Chloe’s walls.

So I made one for her room.  But with some color.

I used some bead board from the hardware store and some large wooden letters.  Turned out perfectly.

You could make this any size, really…….but I love how big this one turned out (30 x 32 inches).  And how nicely it fills up the empty space on Chloe’s wall.

Nice and solid and adorable. Ooooh, I love it when things turn out.

And I also love showing those over-priced items who’s boss!  Ha. :)

Would you like to see how I made mine?

You may already understand how this is put together……..but here’s my process:

First, I purchased some 12 inch tall letters at Hobby Lobby.  I’ve said this probably 100 times but if something isn’t either 40% or 50% off at Hobby Lobby, wait a week or two……and then it will be.  That store is so funny.  (Or just use an online coupon.  They always have one available.  But it’s only for one item.)  I snagged these when all of their “wood” items were on sale for 1/2 off.  They were painted black but Hobby Lobby (and Michael’s) have unpainted wood letters that are even cheaper.  I just really wanted this font and exact size.  So, I think I spent $3 per letter??  Maybe $4?  I used some white spray paint from an old can that was till half full…..and covered the black completely.

Then, I purchased a sheet of bead board at Lowe’s.  It came in one sheet (about 50 inches long by 32 inches tall…..for about $10), so I had to cut it down to 30 x 32 inches.  It was pre-painted in white so I used some inexpensive acrylic paint and gave it a few coats of purple.

I didn’t want a completely thick coat of purple, so I used a sponge brush to apply the paint and applied extra pressure in some areas to allow the white to show through a bit.

After the letters and bead board both dried, I hot glued the letters down.  (epoxy glue would work great too.)

Then, I hammered some hooks into the back.  I only hammered them in halfway, because I didn’t want them to split the wood through the front.  Then I added extra blobs of glue right where the hooks pierced through the wood, just to be sure the hooks wouldn’t wiggle out.

And that’s it.

Ready to be hung.

And enjoyed!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Featured, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

57 Responses to “Wall Decor: wooden LOVE sign”
    Deb C says:

This is such a great idea Ashley! And like you said, would look great large scale. Hmmm…maybe I’ll do this for the big blank wall behind my sofa…

Ooooh, very cool idea for behind the couch. You could really do a lot with the color. Keep it all mono-toned……or add color. Make it rustic or keep it clean. Whatever……it would look great! :)

Kelly VT says:

Love, love, love this! I feel rather goofy admitting that since that’s what the sign is telling me to do. Ha!

Michelle M. says:

I love your version even better!

Adorable!!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Zoe says:

Too cool! I’d love to make one that says “HOME” for the living room. Thanks for the idea!!

Kelly says:

Adorable sign, but what really caught my eye are those red and white curtains!
    Did you make them or where did you buy them?

Maria-Isabel says:

Wow this is brilliant!!! Love it. And so easy, I must make one for my sitting room now! :-)

I love it! I think I’ll be giving this a go for our lounge room!

Rose D. Frenchtown, NJ says:

Love it!

tukimu says:

soo good job.
    you are awesoom ashley!

Naomi says:

I LOVE it…pardon the pun but I do. Looks fantastic.

Jen T says:

This is exactly what my daughter’s wall needs. I just love your blog!

British American says:

Wows, it looks just like the original…….only much better!!! Awesome!

Andrea says:

I have yet to come across anything on your blog that I didn’t like. And this project I LOVE. I’m thinking this would be a great way to hide those hideous tv wires and outlets the builder so lovingly placed above my fireplace.

Ha…..keep digging, I’m sure you’ll find something you don’t care for! ;)

And darn those builders…..but YES, this would really do the trick to hide it all. :)

Good luck!

Runt says:

I love the way this turned! It’s so funny how you can find something for a ridiculous amount of money and make it yourself for so much less. I think I think about that too much now because whenever I see something out and about I wonder if it’s something I could make. Sometimes I just need to suck it up and buy ready made things!! =] Do you mind if I ask how much the bead board cost?

I KNOW! Sometimes, I just need to give up and buy things. But my fingers ache to just prove that I can do it. It’s an illness! ;) But this really did save a bunch of cash. Because, yes, the bead board was about $10. And I had some leftover (because it only came in one size….which was too big). So between that, and the half off, letters, and then the $1 paint, it really didn’t cost me too much.

Good luck!

• 16.1.1
        Runt says:

$10??! I didn’t know it was that inexpensive!! For some reason I thought it would be more than that. That makes me happy. =]

• 16.1.1.1
          Nicole says:

I checked at Home Depot today and a huge sheet costs $20. Any one in the Salt Lake area want to share a board with me? I want to make one as a Christmas present….

• Runt says:

Even $20 isn’t bad. I was thinking of adding this to my kitchen cabinets and I could probably just use one sheet! (Maybe two.) I don’t have very many cabinets and it would just go on a small section of the doors. I might be able to make it work! It would definitely make the cabinets look better and it’s that they’re not that expensive! =]

Mindy says:

Love it! So simple, big and cheap and the exact color you want!

Anne says:

How did you cut the board down? I really want to do this for my daughters room, I already have the PBK letters that match her furniture but wanted something fun on her wall.
    Love this!!!!

Stella says:

I am also wondering how you cut it down. I live in a small apartment so this would be great for our walls, but the limited space means it’s hard to get too crazy with DIY projects. How difficult was it to cut down and what tool did you use?

Nikki says:

Ashley,
    This is awesome…I will definitely do this project!

One thing…you can buy more than one thing at Hobby Lobby with the coupon….it’s just one coupon per ITEM….so you can use a paper coupon, mobile coupon, competitor paper coupon, competitor mobile coupon and get 4 items at a time…! ;-)

Dee says:

NOEL would be really cool to put over the mantle for Christmas

Guest says:

This is such a fun idea! It’s a nice DIY project for my xmas holidays! :)
    Maybe even add lights. ;) Thank you for the inspiration!

Jen says:

I just made a similar sign for my daughter’s room – thanks for the tutorial, it turned out great!!!

Sandy says:

You could also use the word “HOME” in your living room or family room…thanks for the idea!

Kathy says:

I am not crafty but this looks so easy! i have a room in my house for my grandchildren and this would be adorable!

This is adorable! I am going to post this on my so cheap, so easy series tomorrow. I will link back to your tutorial. Thanks for the great idea!

Jamie

anna says:

hi looks great! how did you attach the letters?

Diane says:

Oh how cute. I think a teenager would like it, or even a Bride. Could do I for a boy of course in their favorite color, or the rooms color and put their Initials. Like my son’s are TJ, but he is almost 21, don’t think he would think it was so special. Anyway way cute.

Charity Hansen says:

What was the purple you used? I love the color and would look amazing against my blah walls!

Tiffany says:

I also love this idea! Do u recall the color purple u got and where you found for a dollar?

Danita Courtney says:

I wanted to thank you so much for your awesome tutorial and idea for this sign! I made one for my 2nd granddaughter in colors to match her room and my son hug the sing on the door leading to the nursery and it was such a surprise to see it up I wanted to share a picture of it with you…just not sure how to send it to you???

I live hours away from both my granddaughters and sewing or crafting is my way of showing love to both my children and their whole family! It also brings me much joy in my heart to do this as my life changes and adjusts. I have lost some physical abilities and never in a million years did I imagine I would feel so old at 47, but my body is betraying me and its not worth scaring my kids. I just want them to feel the love and know I did all I could, while I could. That is my legacy! I want to pass that to everyone who may have forgotten that doing little things MEANS a lot!

Thank you for all the hard work you do and all the joy you bring to folks like me who can pass it on to loved ones! It matters! I look forward to your kind PDF gift to sew for both my daughters as gifts. Thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Tiffany says:

Love this. The purple is so pretty and cheap! Lol. What color is it and where did you get it? :)

Cathy says:

Yes – I too am in love with the purple color you used – could you please share the brand and name of the color??

Hi !!

Last year I make the love wall.
    You can see here: http://www.elo7.com.br/love-quadro/dp/338CE4
    Tks so much for the DYI.
    Kisses from Brazil